Black Mesa

Users who are viewing this thread

http://blackmesasource.com/

A fan remake of Half Life. It's been in development for five years now, and it's starting to be somewhat finished. As far as I know it's still expected to be out in 2009.

Anyone else excited about this? Half Life wasn't the greatest game ever, but just the sheer scale of the project makes it worth trying.

And a screenshot:
c1a1_release12_002.jpg

Nah, it's been ages since Half Life. I played Half Life to death and now it's just another 90's corridor shooter, I'm not really that interested in reliving it with shiny new graphics.

Redcoat - Mic said:
Nah, it's been ages since Half Life. I played Half Life to death and now it's just another 90's corridor shooter, I'm not really that interested in reliving it with shiny new graphics.
Half-Life is quite a few years old - even if the story and gameplay is timeless, the visual appearance is not.
Not doing a clone of the old level architecture was first and foremost a functional decision not one based on taste!

The manifold areas of the original game where done with technical limitations, not to the extent to hold up against current games of the same genre after a decade.

The original levels where done in a very rudimentary approach common for the time - some areas purpose was hard to not at all to guess.

Giving the player a strong sense of immersion, the level designers, prop modelers and texture artists had to interpretate a lot of the surroundings.
All the level textures and detail objects, the used materials and their visual details had to be created in a fitting and functional way.

Every original level has been analyzed for it's gameplay, visual functionality and with regards to content.
These got rebuild from the ground up in the way valve did it for their own games - by "orangemapping".

It means, every level was blocked out first - the general shape was done in scale and on that basis, all the areas, color atmosphere, and the functional design where created for structural and area parts.
Same story, same levels, different design. It should feel fresh.

I was waiting for it, but then I got sick of waiting, so I'll get it when it comes out, but I just don't care anymore as to when it actually does.

Vadermath said:
If it is actually released before Episode 3. I seriously doubt they'll actually release before 2010.

Judging from the complete lack of information on Episode 3 I doubt it will be released anytime soon, the other two episodes at least had a teaser a while before they were released. Episode 3 has had nothing probably meaning it's a while off.

To quote the official forum:
They said they would let us know if they didn't think they could make that deadline.
It's not from a dev, but I trust his word. The real statement is beyond reach for some reason.

This naturally means that they think they will make the deadline.

Iberon said:
Vadermath said:
If it is actually released before Episode 3. I seriously doubt they'll actually release before 2010.

Judging from the complete lack of information on Episode 3 I doubt it will be released anytime soon, the other two episodes at least had a teaser a while before they were released. Episode 3 has had nothing probably meaning it's a while off.
I hope it never arrives. Half-Life just won't be the same without Gordon.  :cry:

They're planning on continuing the series without him after Episode 3, I don't think it'll work though.

Back
Top Bottom