Custom banners for Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Timothy the Knight

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Download Right Here.

Oi, here are some other threads you ought to visit as well:
In-game banner editor suggestion. A petition to increase banner limit.

Under this spoiler is some old, outdated info. I'm keeping it here for posterity's sake, but will no longer update it.
Alright, so I already explained some of this in my previous thread for clan heraldry, but I figured this should have it's own thread.

So, currently, adding custom banners is a bit complicated, but can be done. First of all, you'll need to edit the game's graphics files, which isn't in the power of everyone. Second, you need to distribute your custom banner pack to everyone else, because the banners aren't serverside.

So I'm going to make a semi-official banner pack that will include custom banners for clans and individuals. There are only 120 spots for banners due to them being hard-coded into the game's internal image files. So, it will be all clans, and personal banners for the fastest requests. But do keep in mind that this custom banner system is unofficial, and some people are going to end up carrying clan and personal banners by accident. So don't be too upset if such happens. Just ignore it and move on.

Here's the rundown of how many banner spots are in use, and a link to the latest banner pack. I will update this from time to time.

Banner spots in use: 120 out of 120.
Clan banners: 43
Personal banners: 77

List of banners that are in:
Archery Target for archery contests and new players
Court of Rapists + Noble banner + Royal banner + Rebellion banner clan
Perkele clan
HOBOKNIGHTS clan
Order of the Low Land clan
Knights of the South clan
L'Armata Brancaleone clan
Nobody Knows + Royal banner clan
Einhärjar clan
Shieldings sister clan of Einhärjar
Legion XIII clan
22nd + Royal banner + King's banner clan
The Alliance of the Free Souls clan
Masters of the Horse clan
Imperium Polskie clan
Bohemian Guard clan
EEoB clan
Les Chevaliers Francs clan
Followers of the Goat clan
Sacred Band clan
Knights of Pomerania clan
The Solamnic Knights clan
Teutonic Knights clan
Zendarian Hunter Guild clan
Mercenaries Camp clan
Order of the Dojo clan
Kingdom of Holy Calradia + Royal banner clan
The Phoenix Legion clan
Hospitaliers clan
Cat  Toys&Milk  Knights Templar clan
Braves of the Anatolia clan
Paladins of the Round Table + Knight banner + Banneret banner clan
Age of Vikings clan
IRC clan
Timothy the Knight personal
COGlory personal
Reilnur personal
Ruthven personal
Edward Wellcraft personal
Queen Pinky personal
Sir Jaakko personal
The ArchAngel personal
Kapt Torbjorn personal
Bommel personal
BloodyWarrior personal
Mudcrab personal
Voso personal
Ehecatzin personal
Kraven personal
Slawomir of Aaarrghh personal
Alec{zacool} personal
Damon personal
doit182 personal
Jabdi Melborn personal
maietrifo personal
ignoble personal
SvÄn personal
Larken/Wibbler personal
ChaosNinjat personal
Tornado_2142 personal/clan
Beaver personal
Bro127 personal
Hailionaona personal
SPQR personal
Freebird personal
Vermin personal
Neud personal
Garnier personal
Skot the Sanguine personal
rockerjesse3 personal
Leto personal
Lion personal
Nord Champion personal
BlodsHammar personal
DarkEnigma personal
viwerty89 personal
Rody personal
vette_fiets personal
Scientia Excelsa personal
Bolo_the_Bear personal
skepticcs personal
Cavalier Francesco personal
Kalpokor personal
Eogan personal
Exile personal
SCORPs personal
Viajero personal
Nikephoros personal
Tiberius personal
shades_o_grey personal
Warrobi personal
Alhanalem personal
[JaGeR] personal
Turambar Makart personal
Garic93 personal
BoomstickS3000 personal
Venitius personal
Thel personal
rokema personal
Sir Gowe personal
Weren personal
Titanshoe personal
Varric personal
Brice personal
Brego personal
Lewl2 personal
Dub personal
Kurk personal
Regendur personal

Installing the pack is easy. Just go to your Warband installation folder (example: C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade Warband) and find a folder called "Textures." Copy-paste the .dds files into it, overwrite the old ones (you might want to make backups of them, just in case). Then just fire up the game, and the custom banners should be in.

Also, for those interested, I've made a tutorial on how to make a banner. Sure, there's several out there, but I figured I might as well make my own, as I use a slightly unorthodox method. Here it lies. Of course, you can always ask me to make one if you're not up to it.

New, bigger templates right here.

Now couples things.

1) For example our "Banner" changed...wouldnt everyone need to download an upgrade the file again? After you impliment it into the file.
2) New banners that come out wouldnt we also have to re download the file, to get all of the new ones?

Styo said:
Now couples things.

1) For example our "Banner" changed...wouldnt everyone need to download an upgrade the file again? After you impliment it into the file.
2) New banners that come out wouldnt we also have to re download the file, to get all of the new ones?
yes
yes
you need to download everytime a banner added to see new ones.
or wait for the final version.

Yes, a lot of manual work has to be done to update it. ****ty, I know, but that's the best we can get 'till the devs implement a better system. So just roll with it.

Clans will get their banners in no matter what, individuals will get them on a "first come, first serve" basis. Fastest requests get in.

What's the procedure for requesting a personal banner? I'd love to get one of my own implemented into your mod thanks  :grin:. Quick question though, are you reviewing the banners to make sure they fit in with the theme of the game? If there were more banners flying about for different clans/squads and such I think it'd be great, but not if said squad is charging at me with a bunch of shields that have "1337 LANCERS 4 LIFE" scrawled on em...

The preferred system would be a PM directed at me, or a post in this thread. And yes, of course I inspect the quality of all this so you won't see giant dicks, boobs or ****ty banners in the pack. I'm not really opposed to it being non-medieval, though, just as long as it's good-looking.

So can people view the banners ingame who haven't downloaded the banner pack?  And if not, what will happen?  Will they just see the default one?

And I agree, there needs to be an oversight system with the banners to keep it with the theme of the game.

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
So can people view the banners ingame who haven't downloaded the banner pack?  And if not, what will happen?  Will they just see the default one?

And I agree, there needs to be an oversight system with the banners to keep it with the theme of the game.
no, yes

Well, this isn't for a clan, but I'd still like to use it in Warband. I don't have a picture, only a description of the heraldry: an argent field with a sejant lion in sable, with an or crown, surrounded by three gules fleur de lis.

And Tercero, there are still one-hundred-and-twelve spots to fill. There aren't that many clans, at the moment.

The Einhärjar clan will surely be wanting its own banner sometime in the future, in the meantime, keep up the good work!

People who don't have the pack installed won't see custom one, just the native banners.

And don't count on quality control if this goes so that anyone can put their banner into the game. Right now I can regulate just because I need to make a compilation of all the banners into one big file, but if one could just upload a single image into the server, you'd need to have an insane amount of people checking that no naughty stuff get through. And even then sometimes something might slip through.

Clan banner requests get first priority. If the quota is full and a new clan comes through with a request, one of the personal banners goes. And nobody is enforcing everyone to play by the "only those entitled to can use them" rule. It's just that it's sort of an unwritten code of conduct that everyone sticks to their own banner.

And thank you for all the praise and kind words. I'm but a humble serveant, but it is nice to be acknowledged.

Thanks!  Could you add mine to the list, (if it's not already) for the personal?  I may be using it for a clan, but I'm not sure.

When the quota of 120 is reached, no new custom banners can be included in the current system, due to the fact that they are hard-coded. That sucks, but my hands are tied until the devs implement a new system that can handle a limitless number of customs.

I mean that there aren't 120 banners in the game right now, and custom banners are just new textures for the existing ones. I'm wondering what will happen when someone with the customs selects a banner that is beyond the original list, a banner that others don't have. Is it even possible to have more banners´than what there are in the game right now? What will the non-modded users see?

EDIT: In other words, I shall make a hypothesis that you can't have more custom banners than there are originals.

Yes, the quota is hard-capped at 120. No more banners of any kind may be displayed. And the ones who don't have the banner pack will see the original native banners.

So how does one create a custom banner?  Just a .jpg of similar size?  And what restrictions should be noted in terms of appearing properly on shields and the ilk?

Back
Top Bottom