Martial Arts Disscussion

Users who are viewing this thread

It was so worth it though. The little 15 year old punk was asking for it. He went to try and hit me on the dou, but missed and hit me on the shoulder (big bloody miss I know). It bloody hurt and caused me to lose my grip of the shinnai thanks to my slippery gloves that were one size too big. So in retaliation I punched him in the men. Floored the bugger and that's why I was proud of my hook.

A thrust? Do you know what a dou is? It is the chest bit, in order to score a point you need to hit either the helmet (men), chest armour (dou), kote (gloves) or the throat (I forgot what they call this in Kendo). Only one of them can be hit by a thrust and get you a point. Which is the throat, all the others you need to hit them between the two white markings (or whatever is on your shinnai) near the top of the bamboo sword (shinnai). It wasn't exactly my shoulder he hit, but the bit below it, I just can't think of the name for the place. It is a bit above the ribs and below the shoulder. Between where the nipple and the shoulder is.

I know that the do is the cuirass -- I am not intimate with how Kendo keeps points, but a thrust is the preferred attack against the torso, realistically speaking. And the reason I assumed it was a thrust is because it's the only way I could imagine a hit to the shoulder hurting. He'd have to have hit with the kissaki at any rate.

Thrusting the do does nothing at all, except push a person back. It wasn't a match but a sparring session within the team. We all teamed up and fought each other one pair after the other acting as if it was a real match with points and umpires etc. I paired up with the kid because I wanted to hit him hard. He was however one of the best in the class so I had no hope of actually winning the match. He having been practicing Kendo for 7 years and me just entering my 4th week of training.

[me=Raz]casts resurrection![/me]

After having practiced Shotokan karate for about 10 (non-consecutive) years, I got rather frustrated by the lack of full-contact of the martial art. So a few months ago I decided to take up another sport that allowed me to go full contact, or at the very least allow me to spar intensively every training. I've always taken a very great liking to boxing, what with legends such as Mike Tyson. But on the other hand I had developed great kicking technique which I thought would give me a technical edge if I'd take up kickboxing.

I finally decided to go with the latter, but I find myself preferring punches over hand-foot combinations. I also move around a lot more (strafing / dodging) instead of blocking. So is anybody here a boxer/kickboxer?

Gasp, a razurrection! D:

As a kid I've done a few years of Judo and that's about it sadly. I'd like to take up something else eventually one day maybe.

Raz said:
[me=Raz]casts resurrection![/me]

After having practiced Shotokan karate for about 10 (non-consecutive) years, I got rather frustrated by the lack of full-contact of the martial art. So a few months ago I decided to take up another sport that allowed me to go full contact, or at the very least allow me to spar intensively every training. I've always taken a very great liking to boxing, what with legends such as Mike Tyson. But on the other hand I had developed great kicking technique which I thought would give me a technical edge if I'd take up kickboxing.

I finally decided to go with the latter, but I find myself preferring punches over hand-foot combinations. I also move around a lot more (strafing / dodging) instead of blocking. So is anybody here a boxer/kickboxer?

I've done a bit of boxing myself. It is interesting to see the differences between boxing and martial systems like Karate or Taekwondo. It's really scary when somebody studies both, and mixes the skills. The class I was taking was at a Taekwondo studio, and the Taekwondo instructor was also taking the boxing class. The way he blends the two is ridiculous.

Raz said:

I've only done some informal sparring with some Marine Corps buddies, but I tend to dodge a lot more often too. I've only taken a year of beginner's karate, year of jujitsu and a year of judo. I've been fighting with friends for a while though... I definitely like contact sparring, which seems a lot of martial arts don't allow.

The style I most want to learn is Bak-Mei, the White Eyebrows system.  It's so simple and vicious.  But the only masters that I know of are in San Francisco and in NYC, and I happen to be in the Midwest :\.

Once I graduate from college, hopefully I'll be able to train in martial arts again.  Hopefully I can find a place that charges less than $150/month.

AWdeV said:
Gasp, a razurrection! D:

As a kid I've done a few years of Judo and that's about it sadly. I'd like to take up something else eventually one day maybe.

Puns, wherever I see you try puns.

McAverage ought to teach you the ways of punning.

I'll have you know that punning is a proud family tradition with us, Bev has nothing on the amount of puns and wordjokes flying through the air here at home.

Arise!

33mK8Po.gif

Ronda beating the **** out of her opponent.

Anyway, Finland has risen to the UFC map thanks to this guys:
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/makwan-amirkhani

After only 2 fights, the media has turned out in droves because he finished both fights very quickly. In his first fight against Andy Olega he won by knockout in only 8 seconds, in the second fight against Masio Fullen in about 90 seconds through submission.

makwan-amirkhani-ufc-on-fox-14.jpg

Yup, his family is Kurdish, originally from Iran. Another fun fact: he used to be a male model  :fruity:

Back
Top Bottom