Martial Arts Disscussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Æsir

Knight
Ok, I did a search for martial arts, got poll from about 9 months ago and decided to start a new thread.

This is for anyone that practices, practiced, or is interested in Martial Arts. I have always liked martial arts and practice them often. I train mostly in Malay martial arts. That would be: Kali, Silat, and Muay Thai. However I also have had background in Krav Maga, Kempo, Western Boxing, a little French Savate, American Kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do, a small amount of MMA, and a little bit of TKD. This is NOT self taught. I am trained by one of the best instructors in the tri-state and have trained at a Guru Dan Inosanto seminar.

So I thought it would be interesting and enlightening to share with one another techniques, dispell misconceptions, as well has help guide anyone that is looking to get into martial arts. So any of you that train in MA please step forward, say what you train in, and I hope for constructive conversation.

I used to do some Judo when I was a little kid and I don't remember much of it, except that it hurt, but am still interested. :smile:

Shotokan Karate; was European champion and ranked ~16th of the world a long time ago.

Drunken boxing, all you need is a ****load of booze and an attitude.

Xingyi Liuhe Quan is the works for me!

Although I'm advanced in kenjutsu as well, Tenshin shoden katori shinto ryu being mah school.

... yay!

FrisianDude said:
I used to do some Judo when I was a little kid and I don't remember much of it, except that it hurt, but am still interested. :smile:

I start practicing Judo at the start of next year.

@Seff: Krav is really good to learn for military because you can learn applicable stuff quickly. Kali is a better system but takes WAY longer to get good at.

I found this video to be particularly spectacular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMJ_b9uV1Lo

I remeber seeing that a ways back. At first I thought it was scripted to much, but even if it is that Monk was awesome. Blinding speed and technique. And he never attacked with effort, showing a lot of control.

Æsir said:
Ok, I did a search for martial arts, got poll from about 9 months ago and decided to start a new thread.

This is for anyone that practices, practiced, or is interested in Martial Arts. I have always liked martial arts and practice them often. I train mostly in Malay martial arts. That would be: Kali, Silat, and Muay Thai. However I also have had background in Krav Maga, Kempo, Western Boxing, a little French Savate, American Kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do, a small amount of MMA, and a little bit of TKD. This is NOT self taught. I am trained by one of the best instructors in the tri-state and have trained at a Guru Dan Inosanto seminar.

So I thought it would be interesting and enlightening to share with one another techniques, dispell misconceptions, as well has help guide anyone that is looking to get into martial arts. So any of you that train in MA please step forward, say what you train in, and I hope for constructive conversation.

When I was a kid, I did something that was a little like Jujitsu. Currently I do Iaido.

Brazilian jiu-jitsu is where it's at if you like to get all up close and personal. Bring them down and choke them out. There is really no other feeling like the one you get when you cut off your opponents breathing. They jerk around a bit, try to free themselves, but they aint going no where, and then all the resistance stops and they go limp.

BJJ is a great art, but loses almost all its power in a street fight. You cant afford to go to the ground because there is almost always another person and they will kick the crap out of you. I have had to defend myself on several occasions (mostly at bars) and going to the ground is ALWAYS a bad idea.

EDIT:  :shock: WAIT A MINUTE! Pavlov? You were still gone last time I was here.

Æsir said:
BJJ is a great art, but loses almost all its power in a street fight. You cant afford to go to the ground because there is almost always another person and they will kick the crap out of you. I have had to defend myself on several occasions (mostly at bars) and going to the ground is ALWAYS a bad idea.

EDIT:  :shock: WAIT A MINUTE! Pavlov? You were still gone last time I was here.

Yeah this is true, BJJ is a one on one kind of affair, but generally this is why BJJ is a secondary martial art, even if you're competing. However rounding it off with kick boxing or muay thai makes you a very well rounded threat.

And yes, i'm back now. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom