The Masterful Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

"Me ? Racist ? Don't be ridiculous. I'm a man of faith, I hate everyone equally !"
- Inquisitor Garrov de Balc

Sounds a lot like Disciple by Slayer. BTW:

"I hate everyone equally!
You can't tear that out of me
No segregation, separation
Just me in my world of enemies"

Although that is highly anti-religious.

EDIT: Well, for the sake of on-topicness... I think the Six-Foot Sword and the Five-Foot Sword are better used as One-handed/Two-handed weapons. I made that small tweak in my own game and it looks better, as Gutts stands with his sword in one hand and slashes with two. Also, you can use shields, with the penalty of the one-handed weapon proficiency being the one that counts.

@DannyQ:

Danny-Q said:
Honestly though, this talk about characters is taking over the suggestion thread, maybe this -new/original mod characters- stuff could be made into a new thread and continued there?

You're right, I guess I'll open a new topic for that purpose soon.

@Kbcamaster: really ? Never heard of this one before, honest... bah, seems being original is becoming harder and harder nowadays :razz:

I agree on the 5/6-footers, if I recall well Guts uses his claymores either one-handed or two-handed even in the Anime (one-handed when riding on horse, two-handed when on foot and/or facing tougher guys).

It's likely so you can't use it with a shield, and honestly I'm fine with it staying as a two-hander.

Well I suppose making the claymore and dragonslayer two-handed could work but I more or less do it so that players don't all use shields all the time.  I could make the Prehawk and Claymore One/Two handed as gutts does use it like that.  But the DS is a pretty big beast.  He has a wierd way of using it in that he swings it then legs go of one hand to get more width on the swinging arc.  I wish I could create an animation for that it's pretty cool.

Dragonslayer has to stay a two-hander of course, using a shield with it would just be daft (Ha, maybe you can find a way to code it so it blocks arrows when held in the defense position instead).

I actually made a shield version of it.  But it is impossible to make it invincible so it looks odd when it breaks and falls to the ground.  I would love to code it becoming a shield.  I'll have to wait for Warband's nifty item switch function for it to work right.  Basically you can change one item to another by pressing x and it only takes up one inventory slot.

I dont recall gutts using any of his swords one-handed, unless one of his hands werent pierced buy some crossbow-bolt, or he got surprised and used one hand only out of reflex... or so...
this huge swords must stay 100%ly twohanded! if one wants to use a shield along with some 2m sword, then he shall do as Kbcamaster did and edit his/her files manually.

Yeah that is why I made them two-handed.  Because I didn't want to let you use a shield with the swords.  It forces you to fight without fear in that Gutts style.  Shield fighting is a more defensive affair.  I guess you are right Percus.  Of course if you do want to change it for your module the item editor is really easy to use.

Well I did some work modelling weapons and created 4 new Indian specific weapons for the Kushan.  No more will they use scimitars and sabres.  So far I have Pata, Kukri, Khandra, Chakram and Katars ingame.  The kukri are the basic weapon of the lower tiers.  They are a powerful weapon in the hands of infantry with quick speed and high cutting damage.  Their only disadvantage is short range.  The Khandra is a long cleaver of a sword for cavalry.  The Pata and the Katars are similar to each other.  The Chakram is one of the best throwing weapons in the game with a quick speed, high cutting damage and high amounts.  If you want a really cheap but effective unit the Kushan assassins are third tier but very deadly.  Their only weakness is armor.  I'll probably have to tweak their stats as they are too good for a third tier unit.  I finished the Berserker's Pride(100% badass axe) and another special weapon called the Black Falchion(one-handed sword).  You'll get both during part of the non-Gutts questline.  Just missing the rest of said questline.  I'll try to get a group shot of all the new weapons for the screenshots page.

I see you took the links I put up to heart boss. Interesting report.

Berserker Pride said:
The Chakram is one of the best throwing weapons in the game with a quick speed, high cutting damage and high amounts.

heh, are we next to expect a female warlord with a title along the lines of 'The Warrior Princess'...

what do you think to create a new skill( i don't know if is possible)? Like: Ironskin = absorb % of damage, because until now gutts still die a little easy  :sad:
Or maybe give him a little regeneration, or natural armor to him!

Can skill effects be modified? arent they hard-coded?

it would be awesome to increase the "damage_interrupt_attack_threshold" for gutts only... would give a more berserkerish feel :twisted:
would also be cool to remove that repelling-effect when hitting a shield or an enemy parry, for gutts only again, of course.

Hopefully Gutts doesn't die too too fast.  I'm trying to go for progression of strength.  Once you get the Berserker's armor with it's 70 armor rating and lack of weight you will mow through regular munchkins with ease.  Also once you get Puck you have a way to heal on the Battlefield.  I'd like to know the most common way you die as Gutts.  Are the javs doing it or are the arrows and crossbows too powerful.  Ranged is really hard to balance because once infantry get to them they die like sheep but make the ranged too good and they never get there at all.  Now is the time to bring up balance issues while I am working on the Gutts isn't seven-foot-tall-patch.  I already have a new skeleton and a lot of armors scaled down.  It seems perfect.  You can see over regular troops heads but the reticule isn't blocked  by his head anymore.  And he is big enough that really large troops just seem a little bigger to him not monstrous.  I think what I might do is increase the percentage of reduction on armor for piercing.  So blows that would have gotten through your armor will still get through but will do slightly less damage.  This will also let high armor beasties like Ogres survive more than two hits.  It will only be a slight tweak though.

One of the easiest ways to "die" as Guts against normal opponents (at least on harder difficulty levels) is to charge on foot towards lots of ranged enemy troops stationed in a well-defended position, without shield. Like in a siege. Though if the player has some tough melee guys who cover him/her until he/she gets up, this is not that big problem either. Javelins are less dangerous because the enemy can't use them until they are close enough so they can be evaded more easily and then you just get near the user and chop the guy up.

On another note, have you considered adding grown-up Erica as a possible companion ? I mean, after Godo died Ricket took care of her, and I doubt he would leave her behind once he re-joins the party after Caska has been healed.

Yeah Erica should join too.  I need to add her as a character in general.  I didn't put her in before because I lacked the skeleton support but I have it now.  And Rickert isn't just going to ditch her.  Once the slug count quests are done I'd like to do something with Theresa.  She could join the non-Gutts player but try to fight Gutts during the Kingdom Arc.  I suppose even Roderick might even be the type of guy to join you later.

Oh yes, every secondary character getting a useful role, finally !  :grin:  I think even Silat could join (he seems unlikely that he would team up with Griffith).

Yea I suppose Silat is a possibility.  I need to start coding in removal of characters and lords switching kingdoms.  Zodd should join griffith for instance once he appears.  Fortunately the code to do so is all there in the native quest where you implicate an enemy lord as a traitor.

Berserker Pride said:
Yeah Erica should join too.  I need to add her as a character in general.  I didn't put her in before because I lacked the skeleton support but I have it now.  And Rickert isn't just going to ditch her.  Once the slug count quests are done I'd like to do something with Theresa.  She could join the non-Gutts player but try to fight Gutts during the Kingdom Arc.  I suppose even Roderick might even be the type of guy to join you later.
Oho? This is interesting....

Too bad there's no skill that lets you fight better while on a boat, that would be perfect for Roderick.

I've seen someone on the forum once attempting to tie such a bonus with a trigger, maybe at Sons of Odin/Roots of Yggdrasil mod, but I might be wrong...

I've made a possible troop tree for Guts' Kingdom:

BAND OF THE BRAND
"...and the Hawk shall tremble."​

Strengths: very skilled and offensive units with strong armors and powerful weaponry at higher tiers. Many troops have chance for ranged weapons.
Weaknesses: low-tier units have high death rate, very few units have shields, cavalry units have badly-armored (though healthy and fast) mounts.
Troop tree:

-> Fresh Scout -> Ranger -> Decimator -> Dark Hunter
                  -
Youngblood -> Fresh Blade -> Armsman -> Avenger -> Dark Slayer -> Black Struggler
                                      -
                                      -> Raider -> Marauder -> Dark Reaper

TIER 1:
Youngblood - a strange feature of the Band of the Brand that it accepts even young brats to its ranks. From devoted youngsters who dream of becoming great warriors to sons of regular troops and orphans adopted by the company, these boys (or sometimes girls) are kept in the camps and fortresses overseen by veterans, brough up by the company rather than by a couple of individuals. Inexperienced and weak, they are not fit at all for heavy combat duties but fulfill out-of-combat roles such as cooking, cleaning and so on. Instructed for fighting by early age, each of them carries the potential of becoming full-blooded warriors, but nevertheless they should be kept out of fighting unless the situation is so grim that every person must be rallied.
(Small-statured light infantry. Very light armor, and weak small-reach weapons like short swords, daggers, hatchets etc. Chance for small buckler shields and throwing daggers.)

TIER 2:
Fresh Blade - proving their skills in close combat, Fresh Blades are young people who form the basic fighting unit in the company. Well-taught, they are often more skilled than average men of their age, but they have yet to see the true face of war, the last test of their initiation being taking part in and surviving a real battle. If they emerge victorious and alive, they may proceed to form the backbone of the company. If not... well, it won’t matter anymore.
(somewhat shorter than average light infantry. Light armor and varied weaponry. Many spawn with shields, but lesser two-handed weapons are also possible.)
Fresh Scout - there are always some recruits who prove less effective in close quarters, but a lot more sneaky and precise than usual. Such individuals deserve an alternate way of training, joining the ranks of the Fresh Scouts. They perform the tasks necessary to keep the company informed of their surroundings, such as exploring, infiltration, delivering messages, and so on and so forth. They are also instructed in the use of basic ranged weaponry, but are not really expected to engage in actual fighting, but rather to leave it to their tougher comrades.
(somewhat shorter than average light skirmisher. Light armor, weak in melee with only short-reach weapons but skilled. Access to throwing daggers and light crossbows.)

TIER 3:
Armsman - after participating in a couple of battles, the majority of the surviving Fresh Blades join the ranks of the Armsmen. The Armsmen provide the main backbone of the company, young but matured men capable of using some heavy weapons and given reliable armors. Though they lack shields, their strength and determination more than makes up for that tiny disadvantage.
(average-height medium infantry. Armsman always carry two-handed weapons, mostly swords and axes and possess mediocre armor.)
Ranger - cunning and tricky, Rangers are drawn from the ranks of skilled scouts, marksmen and assassins. They oversee the Fresh Scouts during service and are respecably skilled scalphunters themselves, experienced enough to stand out in the battlefield to provide ranged support for their brethren.
(average-height medium ranged infanty. Still quite lightly armored, but skilled. Uses bows and crossbows, and fine blades for melee.)
Raider - representing the cavalry arm of the company, Raiders are horse-riding warriors fighting with a large variety of weapons. While reliable, they shouldn’t be mistaken for heavy cavalry, but rather used to harass the flanks of enemy formations before the infantry moves in for the kill.
(average-height medium mixed cavalry. The riders are moderately armored, but their mounts, while healthy and fast, not quite armored. Uses bastard swords and two-handed weapons for melee, chance for lighter crossbows and smaller shields.)

TIER 4:
Ravager - veterans of numerous battles, Ravagers have perfected the use of their weaponry, and the harsh years of constant fighting only made them stronger.
(average-height mid-heavy infantry. Better in every aspect than Armsman and has chance for throwing axes and javelins.)
Decimator - sharpshooters of intimidating skill, Decimators don’t take part in sneaky activities but spend their full-time duty in the open fields of war. With exceptional smiths and inventors at its disposal, the company can arm these men with dangerous ranged weaponry. Liking their „toys”, Decimators enjoy nothing more than blasting skulls to pieces from afar.
(average-height medium ranged infantry. Only moderately armored but uses strong crossbows and lesser firearms to thin enemy ranks, switches to swords and two-handed polearms in melee.)
Marauder - elite cavalry force of the company, Marauders are more experienced and better armed than Raiders, fully suited to charge towards enemies head-on.
(average-height mid-heavy melee cavalry. Better in every aspect than Raiders, but their weaponry is limited to two-handed axes and two-handed swords.)

TIER 5:
Dark Slayer - merciless and unforgiving, Dark Slayers possess abilities considered superhuman by many. These grim warriors often suffered great losses during their struggles, making them cold-blooded, but obidient, killing machines who inspire fear even among allied troops.
(tall-statured heavy melee infantry. Better in every aspect compared to Ravagers and still has chance for throwing weapons.)
Dark Hunter - similarly dangerous but taking a different approach than Dark Slayers, Dark Hunters have completely lost themselves to the hunt. Their goal is to track down magnificent preys and send them to a cold grave, more often than not mighty advesaries who caused the death of many companions.
(average-height mid-heavy ranged infantry. Not quite the best armored but overall much better in melee compared to most ranged troops, using two-handed polearms. For ranged attack, they employ repeating crossbows and heavy firearms such as muskets or even hand-cannons.)
Dark Reaper - both man and horse unwavering from any wordly - or even otherworldly - powers, Dark Reapers are eager to carve bloody paths through enemy formations.
(average-height mid-heavy melee cavalry. Better in every aspect compared to Marauders, and expanded weaponry with access to poleaxes, glaives and the like.)

TIER 6:
Black Struggler - Bearing the Brand of Sacrifice, Black Stugglers are people sharing a similar fate with Guts: living offerings to demonic beasts, but rescued in the last moment by the Skull Knight. Living in a state of never-ending fighting against otherwordly horrors, emotions such as fear or regret are completely meaningless for them. The only thing that drives these human monsters onward is the promise of harsh vengeance, which they are willing to achive by any means necessary. Due to their Brands, they mean a threat to everyone and everything around them unless this effect is eased by Schierke’s magical wards. Such dreadful soldiers require a commander with nerves of steel and a hand of iron to be kept under control, but it pays off as Black Strugglers are perhaps the only mortals capable of standing up to the Apostles of Griffith.
(the classic badass uber-unit. What more to say ?)

You guys ever considered to add Falconia (AKA Griffiths clubhouse of rainbows, marshmallows, happiness and best friends forever) in the mod?

Also, MorrisB
MorrisB said:
I've made a possible troop tree for Guts' Kingdom:

BAND OF THE BRAND
"...and the Hawk shall tremble."​

Strengths: very skilled and offensive units with strong armors and powerful weaponry at higher tiers. Many troops have chance for ranged weapons.
Weaknesses: low-tier units have high death rate, very few units have shields, cavalry units have badly-armored (though healthy and fast) mounts.
Troop tree:

-> Fresh Scout -> Ranger -> Decimator -> Dark Hunter
                  -
Youngblood -> Fresh Blade -> Armsman -> Avenger -> Dark Slayer -> Black Struggler
                                      -
                                      -> Raider -> Marauder -> Dark Reaper

TIER 1:
Youngblood - a strange feature of the Band of the Brand that it accepts even young brats to its ranks. From devoted youngsters who dream of becoming great warriors to sons of regular troops and orphans adopted by the company, these boys (or sometimes girls) are kept in the camps and fortresses overseen by veterans, brough up by the company rather than by a couple of individuals. Inexperienced and weak, they are not fit at all for heavy combat duties but fulfill out-of-combat roles such as cooking, cleaning and so on. Instructed for fighting by early age, each of them carries the potential of becoming full-blooded warriors, but nevertheless they should be kept out of fighting unless the situation is so grim that every person must be rallied.
(Small-statured light infantry. Very light armor, and weak small-reach weapons like short swords, daggers, hatchets etc. Chance for small buckler shields and throwing daggers.)

TIER 2:
Fresh Blade - proving their skills in close combat, Fresh Blades are young people who form the basic fighting unit in the company. Well-taught, they are often more skilled than average men of their age, but they have yet to see the true face of war, the last test of their initiation being taking part in and surviving a real battle. If they emerge victorious and alive, they may proceed to form the backbone of the company. If not... well, it won’t matter anymore.
(somewhat shorter than average light infantry. Light armor and varied weaponry. Many spawn with shields, but lesser two-handed weapons are also possible.)
Fresh Scout - there are always some recruits who prove less effective in close quarters, but a lot more sneaky and precise than usual. Such individuals deserve an alternate way of training, joining the ranks of the Fresh Scouts. They perform the tasks necessary to keep the company informed of their surroundings, such as exploring, infiltration, delivering messages, and so on and so forth. They are also instructed in the use of basic ranged weaponry, but are not really expected to engage in actual fighting, but rather to leave it to their tougher comrades.
(somewhat shorter than average light skirmisher. Light armor, weak in melee with only short-reach weapons but skilled. Access to throwing daggers and light crossbows.)

TIER 3:
Armsman - after participating in a couple of battles, the majority of the surviving Fresh Blades join the ranks of the Armsmen. The Armsmen provide the main backbone of the company, young but matured men capable of using some heavy weapons and given reliable armors. Though they lack shields, their strength and determination more than makes up for that tiny disadvantage.
(average-height medium infantry. Armsman always carry two-handed weapons, mostly swords and axes and possess mediocre armor.)
Ranger - cunning and tricky, Rangers are drawn from the ranks of skilled scouts, marksmen and assassins. They oversee the Fresh Scouts during service and are respecably skilled scalphunters themselves, experienced enough to stand out in the battlefield to provide ranged support for their brethren.
(average-height medium ranged infanty. Still quite lightly armored, but skilled. Uses bows and crossbows, and fine blades for melee.)
Raider - representing the cavalry arm of the company, Raiders are horse-riding warriors fighting with a large variety of weapons. While reliable, they shouldn’t be mistaken for heavy cavalry, but rather used to harass the flanks of enemy formations before the infantry moves in for the kill.
(average-height medium mixed cavalry. The riders are moderately armored, but their mounts, while healthy and fast, not quite armored. Uses bastard swords and two-handed weapons for melee, chance for lighter crossbows and smaller shields.)

TIER 4:
Ravager - veterans of numerous battles, Ravagers have perfected the use of their weaponry, and the harsh years of constant fighting only made them stronger.
(average-height mid-heavy infantry. Better in every aspect than Armsman and has chance for throwing axes and javelins.)
Decimator - sharpshooters of intimidating skill, Decimators don’t take part in sneaky activities but spend their full-time duty in the open fields of war. With exceptional smiths and inventors at its disposal, the company can arm these men with dangerous ranged weaponry. Liking their „toys”, Decimators enjoy nothing more than blasting skulls to pieces from afar.
(average-height medium ranged infantry. Only moderately armored but uses strong crossbows and lesser firearms to thin enemy ranks, switches to swords and two-handed polearms in melee.)
Marauder - elite cavalry force of the company, Marauders are more experienced and better armed than Raiders, fully suited to charge towards enemies head-on.
(average-height mid-heavy melee cavalry. Better in every aspect than Raiders, but their weaponry is limited to two-handed axes and two-handed swords.)

TIER 5:
Dark Slayer - merciless and unforgiving, Dark Slayers possess abilities considered superhuman by many. These grim warriors often suffered great losses during their struggles, making them cold-blooded, but obidient, killing machines who inspire fear even among allied troops.
(tall-statured heavy melee infantry. Better in every aspect compared to Ravagers and still has chance for throwing weapons.)
Dark Hunter - similarly dangerous but taking a different approach than Dark Slayers, Dark Hunters have completely lost themselves to the hunt. Their goal is to track down magnificent preys and send them to a cold grave, more often than not mighty advesaries who caused the death of many companions.
(average-height mid-heavy ranged infantry. Not quite the best armored but overall much better in melee compared to most ranged troops, using two-handed polearms. For ranged attack, they employ repeating crossbows and heavy firearms such as muskets or even hand-cannons.)
Dark Reaper - both man and horse unwavering from any wordly - or even otherworldly - powers, Dark Reapers are eager to carve bloody paths through enemy formations.
(average-height mid-heavy melee cavalry. Better in every aspect compared to Marauders, and expanded weaponry with access to poleaxes, glaives and the like.)

TIER 6:
Black Struggler - Bearing the Brand of Sacrifice, Black Stugglers are people sharing a similar fate with Guts: living offerings to demonic beasts, but rescued in the last moment by the Skull Knight. Living in a state of never-ending fighting against otherwordly horrors, emotions such as fear or regret are completely meaningless for them. The only thing that drives these human monsters onward is the promise of harsh vengeance, which they are willing to achive by any means necessary. Due to their Brands, they mean a threat to everyone and everything around them unless this effect is eased by Schierke’s magical wards. Such dreadful soldiers require a commander with nerves of steel and a hand of iron to be kept under control, but it pays off as Black Strugglers are perhaps the only mortals capable of standing up to the Apostles of Griffith.
(the classic badass uber-unit. What more to say ?)
Nice troop tree, looks really cool (if a few strokes of corny here and there)

EDIT: apparently i fail at quotes...

Back
Top Bottom