The battle for Calradia. Check forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Its looking good :wink:

Arch3rs end was stuck till the module release though is now moving.

My end is moving slowly as time is limited till Im back to a normal week which should be next week.
Though I have been writing and gathering information and will be hopefully putting the database together very soon.

First of all. I think this is a great idea! Looking forward to making it happen.

BUT

as a coder I know something about ambitious projects - they almost never work as planned. The key thing imho is to make really basic short pre-pre-alpha but playable version of it preferably now. It's really important. I tell you - while playing tons of unexpected problems will appear and it would be sad if some awesome work would be made in vain.

Some problems cannot be predicted before game itself.

First thing to do is to choose essential parts of game. I would get rid of some things (only for start):
- dividing factions into normal/bandit/mercenary factions - make it simple, clan = faction, faction can fight/loot/hire or be hired
- modding - just make clans to choose one of m&b factions as modding system just came out and there are almost no clan mods
- individual mercenaries - just join a clan for formality

you clever people can surely think of some things to get rid of for now to make it simple. Maybe make economy even simpler. I know it would also make it less enjoyable but it will be perfect for testing game mechanics.

Essential parts imho are:
- moving armies on map
- scheduling battles, sieges...
- basic economy

When short version works then we can revise and add new features.

I really think this is important. Please consider this. But of course you may disagree.

Hear, hear! I agree with Diavel!
But @ Diavel: Arch3r's Invasion mod is one of the ways we are testing the factions, but unfortunately, we only pit players against bots on there.

diavel said:

Hm... I belive you misunderstood, the battles will be fought in warband, the campaign map and such will be played differently, not ingame. As i have understood it atleast.
Mercanaries maybe wanna be lone wolves and can be hired by a clan, but they might not want to be tied to a single clan and that's why they are mercanaries instead.
Go to the forum for information, link is in first post. Go to Invasion in released mods section for the current version of tbfc.

diavel said:
First of all. I think this is a great idea! Looking forward to making it happen.

BUT

as a coder I know something about ambitious projects - they almost never work as planned. The key thing imho is to make really basic short pre-pre-alpha but playable version of it preferably now. It's really important. I tell you - while playing tons of unexpected problems will appear and it would be sad if some awesome work would be made in vain.

Some problems cannot be predicted before game itself.

First thing to do is to choose essential parts of game. I would get rid of some things (only for start):
- dividing factions into normal/bandit/mercenary factions - make it simple, clan = faction, faction can fight/loot/hire or be hired
- modding - just make clans to choose one of m&b factions as modding system just came out and there are almost no clan mods
- individual mercenaries - just join a clan for formality

you clever people can surely think of some things to get rid of for now to make it simple. Maybe make economy even simpler. I know it would also make it less enjoyable but it will be perfect for testing game mechanics.

Essential parts imho are:
- moving armies on map
- scheduling battles, sieges...
- basic economy

When short version works then we can revise and add new features.

I really think this is important. Please consider this. But of course you may disagree.

Kazzan said:
Hm... I belive you misunderstood (...)
Go to the forum for information (...)

What exactly did I misunderstand?

I know the idea, I read many pages of this thread, and I really like it.
Mercenaries will be added in next 'iteration' of project if the first one works. Ready and balanced clan mods can be added already. For example DR clan has their awesome faction.

My point is - first make really basic, pre-pre-alpha version that can be played with what tBfC team already have. Without stuff that adds too much complexity and check out if it works. With small map, smaller number of clans involved, etc. After one basic game there will be next with more complex stuff, and then even more complex version, and then... This way people can play 'something' and tBfC team can test their ideas for mechanics, economy, organisation.

From what I see tBfC team wants to make perfect game with all desired features, advanced organisation, battle scheduling, economy, mods, etc., then throw some date and on day 1 everything is supposed to work. That doesn't happen with such complex, involving cooperation of many people, project.

RalliX said:
Hear, hear! I agree with Diavel!
But @ Diavel: Arch3r's Invasion mod is one of the ways we are testing the factions, but unfortunately, we only pit players against bots on there.
Yes that's a great way to test faction balance and of course individual features should be tested on its own, but testing everything working together is a different thing.

There are some arguments for this idea:
- people would be able to play already (as opposition to just waiting)
- tBfC team will be able to test if the whole thing is working without risk of tons of work
- tBfC team will be able to test playability
- clan modding, new ideas, maps etc. can be created while game is going, and added to next version gradually
- unpredictable problems WILL appear

diavel said:

Kazzan said:
Hm... I belive you misunderstood (...)
Go to the forum for information (...)

What exactly did I misunderstand?

I know the idea, I read many pages of this thread, and I really like it.
Mercenaries will be added in next 'iteration' of project if the first one works. Ready and balanced clan mods can be added already. For example DR clan has their awesome faction.

My point is - first make really basic, pre-pre-alpha version that can be played with what tBfC team already have. Without stuff that adds too much complexity and check out if it works. With small map, smaller number of clans involved, etc. After one basic game there will be next with more complex stuff, and then even more complex version, and then... This way people can play 'something' and tBfC team can test their ideas for mechanics, economy, organisation.

From what I see tBfC team wants to make perfect game with all desired features, advanced organisation, battle scheduling, economy, mods, etc., then throw some date and on day 1 everything is supposed to work. That doesn't happen with such complex, involving cooperation of many people, project.

Hm... Maybe it was me who missunderstood your post, thinking you tought the campaign was going to be played ingame and such, but i see the error i have made.

I forgot to say but a new version with some large changes is now online
www.hobo-town.com/tbfc/index2.html

New right click menu and a test for the new mountain tile I will do all in this style if all peoples are happy.

Also on a note link the fantasian mod has begun work and the Pi modeling should be finished this week though looking for some people to do some UV maps for us, Im happy to texture though I cant UV it confuses me every time.

The Fantasian mod info is here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,103455.0.html
Hope to have some concept art uploaded soon.

UPDATED:
New Water and Steppe tiles to join the mountain tile.
New large map if zoomed out in fullscreen.

NB: You CANNOT move while in Fullscreen mode, this is not a bug but a security issue which means CS3 Flash does not allow it, this was fixed in CS4, but till I buy CS5 it will remain like this.

Back
Top Bottom