Battle Size Changer v1.1 for M&B .700 - 1.011+

Users who are viewing this thread

Janus

*spicy* *camper*
Administrator
Download it Here (v1.1)

With this you can get around the game's battle size limit of 25-100 (24-72 or 14-40 in older M&B versions) and instead choose from 2 - 1000. Note that overly large battle sizes can crash M&B if your computer isn't able to handle them. If you experience crashes or serious slowdown, you should lower the battle size.
Don't expect to be able to have battles of size 1000 even if you have the latest and greatest hardware; the upper limit is that high simply to give plenty of leeway.

How to use this tool:
1. Make sure to have run M&B at least once so the configuration data files are created.
2. Make sure M&B is not running when you use this tool.
3. Run this tool, choose your desired battle size, then save and exit.
4. When you next run M&B, the desired battle size will be set (which can be confirmed on the options screen).

This is my remake of the Battle Size Changer originally created by Hardclyff which worked for versions older than .730.
This program will recognize and work with versions of M&B all the way back to .700. Future versions should be supported until the format of the options.dat file changes again.

It is packaged in an installer and will optionally create a desktop shortcut.
This is a completely standalone executable I made from scratch with no dependencies (no need for .NET framework, VB DLLs, etc.).
It keeps two backups of the options.dat file just in case with the extension ".bak" and ".orig". The ".orig" file is only created once and is a backup of your original unmodified file, while the ".bak" file is updated with a backup each time you save your changes within the program.

Thanks to Hardclyff for the original program along with an explanation of how it worked.
Here is a link to Hardclyff's old Battle Size Changer, which this new one replaces:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/viewtopic.php?t=3700

If you are interested in having larger battlefields so you don't have a few hundred combatants on a small battlefield, see this thread for some info on doing that:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,16207.0.html

The latest version for M&B 1.0 is now available; all older releases of M&B are still supported by the latest version as well.

changes in v1.0.1:
  • Support for M&B .800's new options.dat file and location. Older versions are still supported as well.
  • The battle size limit has been increased from 400 to 1000 for those who want to crash their system or at the least run at a speed 1 frame every 30 seconds in battles that big. :wink:
  • If you choose a size of over 200, it will notify you that you're risking crashing your system or suffering poor performance. If you choose a battle size of 400 or more, it will give a warning with a bit stronger wording. These warnings don't prevent you from choosing those battle sizes of course, they're just there to try to make sure you know what you're probably getting into.
changes in v1.0.2:
  • bugfix release. The only change past v1.0.1 is in how the location of the options.dat file for M&B .800 is determined. The method used in v1.0.1 was causing problems on some non-English Windows language versions.
changes in v1.0.4:
  • Support for M&B .801's new options.dat file and location. As before, older versions are still supported as well.
  • Bottom left corner of tool now displays the detected version of M&B which it has loaded the options.dat from, and which it will save to.
changes in v1.0.5:
  • Support for M&B .890 and it's modified battle size calculation method. As an example, the value for a battle size of 66 from the pre-.890 method gives a battle size of 120 using .890's calculations. Older versions of M&B are still supported the same as before.
changes in v1.1:
  • Support for M&B 1.0 and the modified battle size calculation method it uses. As before, older versions of M&B are still supported.
  • A few very minor UI changes.

hmm, never tried the old one.. always meant to, never did, maybe now is the time..
throwing all the troops on both sides into the siege at once should prove... interesting.. if it doesn't cause my computer to explode

So now that we have greater battle sizes to test it on, is the performance of .730 better than that of .711?

Heh. It actually only goes down to 2; you're joking, I know, but still figured I'd point that out. I tested out the battle size of 2 and you tend to get 3 people on the battlefield: you, one enemy, and one friendly. Rather pitiful in practice, but I wanted the tool to give you freedom to choose as you wish. That would indeed make battles easy, if a whole hell of a lot longer to take them out one by one.

The max number I used is basically arbitrary; I could set the max to something like 2000, but I'm willing to bet a battle that big would bomb the game out on even the best hardware.

Janus said:
Heh. It actually only goes down to 2; you're joking, I know, but still figured I'd point that out. I tested out the battle size of 2 and you tend to get 3 people on the battlefield: you, one enemy, and one friendly. Rather pitiful in practice, but I wanted the tool to give you freedom to choose as you wish. That would indeed make battles easy, if a whole hell of a lot longer to take them out one by one.

The max number I used is basically arbitrary; I could set the max to something like 2000, but I'm willing to bet a battle that big would bomb the game out on even the best hardware.

i had that tool a while back and had it set to 75..no problem but for some reason when my party (at that time around 10) engaged a riverpirate party (around 4-10) we still ended up with 75 NPCs on the field....somehow extra npcs were created in the imag eof my own and of my enemies and i had to fight those huge battles no matter what...

was this normal, if yes is there a way to change it, if no is there a way i could fix it?

Olorin said:
for some reason when my party (at that time around 10) engaged a riverpirate party (around 4-10) we still ended up with 75 NPCs on the field....somehow extra npcs were created in the imag eof my own and of my enemies and i had to fight those huge battles no matter what...

was this normal, if yes is there a way to change it, if no is there a way i could fix it?
Definitely not normal, it should only allow up to that many troops rather than creating clones to reach that number. What version of M&B did this happen on, and did you use the old Battle Size Changer on it?

Aah. Very nice. I like it better than the first one for the following reasons:

*It works on 7.30, (Duuh! :razz: );

*It's much cleaner and sexier in design;

*It goes to 400 instead of 414. I allways wondered why exactly Hardclyff chose the extra 14... 400 makes more sense;

*Desktop icon;

*Don't need .NET;

*Like the new icon.

Sweet... :grin:

Thanks.

One other thing I meant to detail a little further. It determines the needed changes based on the size of options.dat (which is how it detects versions .711 and lower and works on them) and edits accordingly. As future versions of M&B add new game options, the file size should again change and this program will detect that. It will notify you that it won't work rather than writing to the wrong place in the file like the old Battle Size Changer.
So, a small measure of foolproofing. :wink:

When future versions of M&B come out I can easily add in support for them as well.

Whooop whooop! :shock: I think I found a big, nasty bug! :mad:

I enter a battle with some 10+- manhunters against some 20+- sea raiders. My experience is around 6000. I need some 8000 to get to the next level. The battle size is at 50.

Halfway through the brawl, then boom! "You have advanced to the next level". What the hell?! Do you level up like ten times as fast now?!

Also, it seems that every five times I hit an enemy now I get "Improved Proficiency". What the hell is going on here?! :?: :!:

InferiorBeing said:
Halfway through the brawl, then boom! "You have advanced to the next level". What the hell?! Do you level up like ten times as fast now?!
You've got me; this program only changes the setting of the max number of troops that show up in battle. This should have nothing to do with experience gain, unless Armagan has added in a new feature where you get more experience based on the battle size. It's possible he did that, but I really kinda doubt it.

InferiorBeing said:
Also, it seems that every five times I hit an enemy now I get "Improved Proficiency". What the hell is going on here?!
The lower your weapon proficiency is, the faster it raises. As you get a higher weapon proficiency level, it takes longer and longer to level it up.
The speed at which you gain proficiency is also based on how much damage you do.
I don't see there being a connection there either.

Have you tried setting the battle size down to a normal level (say 40 max) and try another such battle? That would be helpful; if possible, track how much XP before and after the battle along with how many enemies/friendlies/allies.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Oh, BTW, sea raiders are fairly high level and give more experience than lower level enemies, though I'm not sure how much XP they give each.

Actually, I just came back from doing that now. What I can say for sure is that I got probably a 100+-XP more when I had increased it to 50. This time I helped a caravan - can't remember who it belonged to - of ca. 11 people against a 17+- man strong pack of mountain bandits.

Back
Top Bottom