SP Medieval Fantasy Camelot: A King Arthur Mod - open Beta version 0.31 Release!

Users who are viewing this thread

thrakkemarn

Sergeant at Arms
Well it's that time of year folks ... that's right. Christmas. So, as a holiday gift to you all I give you
Camelot: A King Arthur Mod - The Beta release

You can head over here to download: http://s9.zetaboards.com/exilian/topic/7172142/

There is no password anymore, because it's a beta 
Also, I got tired of having to PM everyone the password, though I am glad there was so much interest!

Also a big Big BIG shout-out to TIDM2 for helping me write some of the dialog - the mod has a lot more life thanks to his help!

Well, there is still a very long road ahead. I am short a mapper, and still don't have any of the custom items (such as Excalibur) but hopefully we will get there.

Lots of new additions (these are just some of the big ones, I think it's time to start keeping a changelog):
In this version I've added the beginning of a long quest involving King Lot and the Orkneys. Also included an early version of the Battle of Bedegraine.

I've also retooled the Gwen quest, and made it so that the quest actually ENDS and you get a reward, and she moves to Camelot. It has also been moved to Cameliard in Powys to be more historically accurate. There are also more immediate consequences to your decision of how to end it.

Patrols are now AGRESSIVE and if you are at war they will kick your ass when you try to pass through their territory. I've reduced their number and spawn rate to compensate. Try sieging a town before you take out all the patrols, and while you are building your little ladders they will come along and make you suffer.

Additionally some troops have been tweaked. Archers, specifically all of the Cymru archers, are now slightly less overpowered. Also, any troops NOT of british origin will cost you a lot more. I mean, it's one thing to call up your own levy and whatnot, but "foreign" troops should operate somewhat like mercenaries, right?

12/9/09

Hey folks. I'm back with a big progress update. You can see all the details here:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/exilian/topic/7160033/1/?x=0#post8011819

Help support the mod with a banner! Add this to your signature:
Code:
[url=http://s9.zetaboards.com/exilian/forum/3005463/][IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/zmz2j6.png[/IMG][/url]

The long and the short is I have all the major features I want in place, and I'm ready for some testers to get to work! The quest line is barely begun, but all the core gameplay features are in. There are a few things I'd like to fine tune, and several things that still need to be added, but I think I can say that v0.1a is done =P

Overview:
New troop trees, new recruitment options, new ways to garrison, limited elite troops (based on renown), completely rebalanced items (and a few new ones!), better (more realistic) horses, super-duper-awesome formations! (all hail foxyman), sea battles, MANY new factions (crazy wars), a new map, shield bash ... prolly some other stuff I forgot ...

EDIT: This is no longer being updated, for up to date information please go to http://s9.zetaboards.com/exilian/forum/3005463/

Old posts below:
Major goals: (red = done, blue = started, green = working, purple = failed
Streamline kingdom management (you are THE king, right? so no riding to each village to build a mill) Will manage this through dialog at Camelot - question is dialog with WHO?
Streamline recruitment and garrisoning (what king goes around recruiting PEASANTS? King Arthur certainly didn't) So, you can now hire recruiters to garrison your castles and towns for you, and you can hire elite/noble troops from dialog with your Uncle (later, through dialog with your Queen)
A Storyline and Quest based game experience (you start out as the son of Uther and eventually become the greatest king of all ... but that's just the beginning of your problems) Questline started
New Companions (it doesn't take a genius to figure out who your 12 companions will be...)
Increased importance of renown (lots of events and quests will be based on your renown, which will affect a LOT of things)
Wield Excalibur (duh)
Secondary goals:
Have some way to build your own camelot think I have figured out how to do this!
Completely redesign troop trees
Designed, not implemented
Add some new items
Increased focus on tactical combat (hopefully integration of Foxyman's formations) Done!
Add a ton of gameplay tweaks (most will be from Magelord's tweaks)
Redesign the map Currently have the layout done, but have to place all the castles etc and then get them named and assigned
Redesign certain skills to actually be useful item management, persuasion, trade,

Early Factions and tentative Troop Trees:
blue upgrades to green upgrades to yellow etc
British
Infantry
Volunteer Footman
Veteran Footman
Sergeant at Arms
Man at Arms
Ranged
Peasant Archer
Martial Huntsman
Nobility
Page
Squire
Knight
Dismounted Knight
Knights of 1st Order
Knights of 2nd Order
Cymru
Infantry
Cymru Skirmishers
Cymru Javelin Thrower
Cymru Spearman
Cynan Spearman
Cavalry
Teulu Retainer
Uchelwr Warrior
Archers
Cymru Bowman
Cymru Longbowman
Cymru Ambusher
Cymru Ranger
Gwent Longbowman
Gwent Marksman
Picts
Infantry
Pictish Tribesman
Pictish Warrior
Pictish Spearman
Gae Bolga Warrior
Highland Warrior
Highland Champion
Highland Berserker
Ranged
Stone Thrower
Ettrick Hunter
Cavalry
Mountain Horseman
Northumbrians
Infantry
Fyrd
Spearman
Pikeman
Halberdier
Woodsman
Dane-Axers
Huscarl
Ranged
Archers
Cavalry
Light Horse
Medium Horse
Heavy Horse
Eire
Infantry
Kern
Clansman
Gallowglass
Cavalry
Light Hobelar
Heavy Hobelar
Clan Chief
Ranged
Sling Thrower
Birin Thrower
Sleagh Thrower
Gae Thrower
More to come, this is just an "Announcement of Intentions" post.

Notes for myself (so i don't forget:
do buildings thru dialog at castle (look at building menus for cues)
how to recruit lords? have them join as their castle is taken?
change castle recruitment to queen recruitment
make the logres a split faction
quest: unite logres
quest: prevent logres from uniting against you
split picts
add cornwall (neutral, war with eire)
change bandits - scots, vikings, saxons

Progress:
Redesigned village recruitment, now you get random troops!
Added recruiters to castles and towns
Added in Foxyman's Formation!
Added in sea battles and movement over water
Added and tweaked battle morale Not sure if this is working at ALL  Made it so that ironflesh, persuasion and renown are all factors!
Added new factions and assigned them castles and towns and lords and leaders
Castles assigned, but need to be named! Lords also need naming I need names!
Have a new map, began placing parties
Added in custom troops Now you can have a personalized personal guard! Needs to be fleshed out
Added shield bash (will keep for now, needs to be tested) May remove this, not sure I like it with formations and morale
Began the main quest line (added merlin and quest for excalibur)
Troops and upgrades in, but need to be equipped
Gave up on spear bracing
Added noble recruitment to castle must be changed to dialog

Progress as of 10/10/09

Revan Shan said:
Isn't there a mod already about this?
Eagle and the wolves? No real story line there, nor kingdom management. And there was only a tiny King Arthur faction

I will likely set it around 1066, and Uther will have been starting his conquest but then he dies, leaving you to pick up where he left off. And please bear in mind that this is going to be a mishmash of Arthur lore and some original stuff thrown in for gameplay sake. It's not gonna be some authentic interpretation of Mallory or any single interpretation. I will have to take quite a bit of artistic license in order to make it FUN and playable.

thrakkemarn said:
I will likely set it around 1066, and Uther will have been starting his conquest but then he dies, leaving you to pick up where he left off. And please bear in mind that this is going to be a mishmash of Arthur lore and some original stuff thrown in for gameplay sake. It's not gonna be some authentic interpretation of Mallory or any single interpretation. I will have to take quite a bit of artistic license in order to make it FUN and playable.
...works for me. This will be fun, i wish u good luck

1066?! I know it's not historical mod, but when Normans and Saxons fought at Battle of Hastings, Arthur (if he was historical) was lying in his grave for nearly 600 years! You should set it in about 503 AD, when Arthur won battle of Mons Badonicus. I'm not saying I don't like fantasy mods, but I hate fantasy mods based on some historical things, which are ignoring simpliest historical facts. For example placing Arthur in the eleventh century is something really crazy.  :razz:

Perhaps an option to play as a knight of the round table instead of just Arthur could implemented at some time?

Anyway, sounds like fun :grin:

Kolba said:
1066?! I know it's not historical mod, but when Normans and Saxons fought at Battle of Hastings, Arthur (if he was historical) was lying in his grave for nearly 600 years! You should set it in about 503 AD, when Arthur won battle of Mons Badonicus. I'm not saying I don't like fantasy mods, but I hate fantasy mods based on some historical things, which are ignoring simpliest historical facts. For example placing Arthur in the eleventh century is something really crazy.  :razz:

Not so crazy: ever read "The Once and Future King"? It's probably my favorite book of all time, and in it Uther is supposed to be a William the Conquerer type, and the book is thus set in that time period. If I did this, the different factions would be radically different from anything, and would include the Orkneys, which you would have to beat and unite. This would be a much more fantastical, rather than historical setting. Also, there'd be a lot more (albeit fictional) source material.

However, I am not decided yet - I was thinking about setting it in the earlier period, and having a Saxon invasion occur at some point. This would also make it pretty interesting, cause there would be some obvious factions of like Britain, Ireland, Iceland, Norway and Gaul. Your goal would be to conquer and unite them. Of course, there's little historical fact about Arthur, so I'd be making more stuff up. I'm always open to suggestions and ideas =)

SpartanPride said:
Perhaps an option to play as a knight of the round table instead of just Arthur could implemented at some time?

Yeah, there would definitely have to be other playable characters or options, but the 1st step is the Arthur story.

Here is a great snippet from a convo with a friend, I've been bouncing ideas off of:
"yeah, i'd say sub-Roman is a good time period. It's "historical" in it's date-setting, provides for a huge group o factions (Cymrics, Celts, Cambians(welsh), Cumbrians, Angles, Jutes, Saxons, Frisians, Franks, Gauls, Caledonians, Picts, Cruithni, Lochlannach, Fedual Irish, Northmen, and Romano-Britons)...you still have the conquer and unite as well as the defend against invasion element. it puts things in a shroudy, incredibly poorly covered area of history from which almost all records are lost, and is still mythic."

Shio said:
Hopefully this gets somewhere.

heheh. I hear ya. I've got plenty of free time at the moment though. Hopefully I'll be able to integrate some good features that other brave souls have worked on (like formations and kingdom management). I'm not planning to do too much modelling type stuff, at least initially, since I'll mostly be focusing on the code. If anyone would like to jump on board with some modelling, rigging, or scene making ability, you're always welcome - though until I get a working alpha code I won't be incorporating any of that stuff.

Edit: Actually, the most useful thing right now is to keep throwing ideas and historical stuff at me, so keep it up =)

Queen Pinky said:
Revan Shan said:
Isn't there a mod already about this?
Eagle and the wolves? No real story line there, nor kingdom management. And there was only a tiny King Arthur faction

The mod is based off the book series by Jack White, so the story doesn't really need to be told (although it would have been nice to have some anyway, especially for those who haven't read them).  The faction was small, yes, but debatebly the strongest.

Back
Top Bottom