Things to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

vonmistont said:
I was just thinking... SoD is all about being king and having a kingdom. I think of a way to make early game period shorter/easier untill one gets own castle. Maybe ability to make a camp where you could garrison troops, they would cost half wages there... It's quite easy to make. What do you think?

Yeah, there could be some way of recruiting homeland troops, or there could be more/cheaper mercenaries available. Really, all I do is wander around the map waiting to see a message that "Kingdom X has captured a caslte" then I ride over and steal it from them, then I garrison it with a bunch of bandits and mercenaries. This is by far the most effective/efficient way I've found, but it doesn't feel very kingly. I mean, "hey, I just founded my new kingdom, let me hire a bunch of forest bandits to hold my walls for me!" I think it would be great if there were a more streamlined method of recruiting and garrisoning. I usually increase the number of recruits available at villages and the number of mercenaries available (using magelord tweaks) to facilitate this.

thrakkemarn said:
Yeah, there could be some way of recruiting homeland troops, or there could be more/cheaper mercenaries available. Really, all I do is wander around the map waiting to see a message that "Kingdom X has captured a caslte" then I ride over and steal it from them, then I garrison it with a bunch of bandits and mercenaries. This is by far the most effective/efficient way I've found, but it doesn't feel very kingly. I mean, "hey, I just founded my new kingdom, let me hire a bunch of forest bandits to hold my walls for me!" I think it would be great if there were a more streamlined method of recruiting and garrisoning. I usually increase the number of recruits available at villages and the number of mercenaries available (using magelord tweaks) to facilitate this.

Way ahead of you.  Check out this thread for some examples of what I've completed so far. 

Mercenary Guild Guide

In addition to these guys, there will be tons of new random mercenaries in taverns (Ronin, axe riders, heavy plated pikemen, etc.). 

I just started the Conquistadors, tune in frequenty for updates. 

vonmistont said:
dimstog said:
A couple of other points if you want them for your list
1. Change the color of the font of the order of battle (the stats you get when you press backspace during battle) to something different than black, preferrable white - can hardly read it against the background, especially when I am knocked out and can't turn to sky
2. Maybe make player's troops start in holding stance instead of charge - I am tired trying to break free from my ranks every time the battle starts.
You read my mind. I just forgot to put that on the list. I thougt about Follow instead of Hold and deffinetly white!

Whit could present problems on snowy maps. :???:

vonmistont said:
You read my mind. I just forgot to put that on the list. I thougt about Follow instead of Hold and deffinetly white!

Hm, follow would make everyone gravitate toward you so again they would step in front of you horse. I was thinking hold and the troops holding lines (like when you hit, Everyone, then Hold). This way they would stand still and you could navigate out of the blob, then hit follow. Don't really mind though. Maybe if the player spawned a bit further away to the side than the troops ? Then it wouldn't really matter.

Sibilance said:
Whit could present problems on snowy maps. :???:

Doh! Never thought of that.

Maybe a shade of gray then?

I think having troops Hold Ground would be the best solution. Grey would probably pose a problem too, maybe something like bright red or gold that would stand out against the green grass, blue/white sky, white snow and dark skies that are all common?

Cyclohexane said:
thrakkemarn said:

Way ahead of you.  Check out this thread for some examples of what I've completed so far. 

Mercenary Guild Guide

In addition to these guys, there will be tons of new random mercenaries in taverns (Ronin, axe riders, heavy plated pikemen, etc.). 

I just started the Conquistadors, tune in frequenty for updates.

Hey, yeah I'm totally aware of the awesome work you're doing there. This is just a suggestion for a "quick fix" as Von said, I've no doubt bigger and better things will follow.

I don't know if this is small or big in terms of coding, but could something be done about the roaming bands like forest/mountain bandits and deserters ?

Only type of band that I find myself worth engaging are sea raiders - in the beginning for the decent loot drops and exp and in the later game just to level some troops. The rest are just tedium once you have a castle and can train troops - forest bandits are weak all around, low exp, silly drops, mountain bandits are tedium chasing their light cav all around the battle map and again low exp and no drops. Deserters are sometimes nice but are rather rare - at least the good ones. Village infesting bandits are not really worth your time either - although I always answer calls of help (knight-in-shinning-armor syndrome).

Maybe add some nasty bands (rather slow though so that they don't knock you out in the early game) that could keep someone occupied when not at war with another faction ? Even then enemy lords are not that common and one has to pace themselves with sieges - can't knock out all enemy castles at once.

dimstog said:
I don't know if this is small or big in terms of coding, but could something be done about the roaming bands like forest/mountain bandits and deserters ?

Only type of band that I find myself worth engaging are sea raiders - in the beginning for the decent loot drops and exp and in the later game just to level some troops. The rest are just tedium once you have a castle and can train troops - forest bandits are weak all around, low exp, silly drops, mountain bandits are tedium chasing their light cav all around the battle map and again low exp and no drops. Deserters are sometimes nice but are rather rare - at least the good ones. Village infesting bandits are not really worth your time either - although I always answer calls of help (knight-in-shinning-armor syndrome).

Maybe add some nasty bands (rather slow though so that they don't knock you out in the early game) that could keep someone occupied when not at war with another faction ? Even then enemy lords are not that common and one has to pace themselves with sieges - can't knock out all enemy castles at once.

I'd like to see deserters from all 5 new factions, reguardless of which civilization you start off with.  It would also be nice to see roaming bands of mercenary guilds where yuo can fight, or possibly hire on the spot. 

dimstog said:
This gave me two ideas:

1. I think it is possible to change bandits during the game. Instead of making just larger parties, there could be an even that at a certain point a new type of bandits show up and start to spawn instead of the old ones. And then after a time, a new one.

2. Bandit leaders - A bandit lord party that spawns and patrol his region. Much larger than the usual bandit bands and includes perhaps a few "upgraded" troops. The bandit lord himself can be the trigger to bandit type changes: John Deer is the leader of the forest bandits. He patrols the woods with his not so gay men that refuse wearing tights and a few of his loyal veterans that do. When John is defeated he respawns, but there is a chance (or a counter) that he will be gone for good. An event message then pops up saying that the legendary John deer, who took from the rich until they were poor, is dead. This triggers another event that changes the spawning bandits type from "forest bandits" to "wood knaves", that not only agree to wear tights, but girdles too. Their new leader is Robin woody and his first spawn is announced as an event of a new menace that arose in Calradia.
OK, no real need to change the names of the bandits every time, just upgrade their stats and equipment when they get a new leader.

dimstog said:
Doh! Never thought of that.

Maybe a shade of gray then?

Yellowish would solve the issue. Cant be red because of the green/red issue for colorblind people (such as myself), but I think a flashy yellow, with possibly an outline of black, would be readable no matter the background.

Just found something that may be a little unbalanced, large bag of khergit arrows holding 113 arrows with +25 damage and was pretty cheap. I haven't touched troop or item files.

NinjaCat said:
Just found something that may be a little unbalanced, large bag of khergit arrows holding 113 arrows with +25 damage and was pretty cheap. I haven't touched troop or item files.

where can I get one of these :mrgreen:

Also, regiments, parties created from your troops do not attack bandits while the bandits can and will attack them specially when outnumbered, they can't even scare bandits away even if they number in the 120s. I had hoped that by placing them in strategic areas I can drive the many steppe bandits into swadian territory.

athan5 said:
Also, regiments, parties created from your troops do not attack bandits while the bandits can and will attack them specially when outnumbered, they can't even scare bandits away even if they number in the 120s. I had hoped that by placing them in strategic areas I can drive the many steppe bandits into swadian territory.
This is actually one of their advantages that they do not run off chasing bandits, caravans, rabbits etc. This is how I like my troops: dumb obedient golems. Perhaps it would be possible to mod that if you order them to patrol they will activate the lord AI that does these things.

Not sure if I should post these here instead of the V5 Brainstorming topic, but ah well. I'd suggest changing some of the SoD Noble troops:

- Antarian foot nobles (Noble, Guard and Honor Guard) should all use shields (kite and/or heart shields) and one-handed swords. Nobles use shield because they want to protect themselves, and Guards/Honor Guards use them because they have to protect their bosses. Makes sense IMO.
- Villianese Knights should be all mounted instead of being either on foot or horseback.
- Marinan nobles should be re-made entirely. Currently, they are simply more-elite versions of the regular Marinan infantry troop line. Instead, I thought of:

Republican Guard -> Condottieri
                          -> Landsknecht

Republican Guard - chosen from the elite members of the regular army, the Republican Guard is entrusted with protecting the largest cities and the members of the Grand Court from harm. Their loyalty towards the republic and the people of Marina is beyond questioning. Mid-heavy infantry. Not quite the best armored, but uses massive board shields for protection and fine one-handed swords/spears for melee combat.
Landsknecht - in older days, Marina used to have a relatively small but elite army consisting of a renown band of mercenaries, the Landsknechts. After the introduction of the conscription system, they were officially disbanded, but many wealthy merchants and court members continue to employ them as personal elite guards. Mid-heavy infantry, uses large polearms in combat (like originally), no shield but fine armor.
Condottieri - much like the Landsknechts, the Condottieri were mercenary soldiers in service of Marina. The competition between these two bands was almost constant, but eventually the Landsknechts proved to be a dominant influence on the Marinan military, which decided to rely on formations of polearm-bearing foot troops. Nowadays, the Condottieri are still in service due to their reliability and skill, but grew too few in numbers to be fielded too freqently. Medium cavalry, inferior to Landsknechts in armor but mounted on Hunter-caliber mounts and just as skilled. Uses bastard swords (can be used either for one- or two-handed style), chance for round shields and Hunting Crossbows with Steel Bolts.

NinjaCat said:
As a minor thing, you've probably fixed this but Villianese Infantry are spelt Villianese Ifantry in the marshall dialogue.
In addition to the Villianese "Ifantry" misspelling in the unit name and Marshall text, I believe there is also an instance of Villianese "Longowmen" as well--I'm not sure which rank, but I remember fixing it in the troop editor.

vonmistont said:
I will start implementing things from this thread so... Bump....

Don’t forget about this thread for ideas:  Consolidated Brainstorm list for SOD V5

Read through them and tell me the ones you want to cross off the list and I’ll strike them through.  Also, tell me the ones you want to work on and I’ll change the text color.  They are categorized and numbered so going through the list is easy. 

Cyclohexane said:
vonmistont said:
I will start implementing things from this thread so... Bump....

Don’t forget about this thread for ideas:  Consolidated Brainstorm list for SOD V5

Read through them and tell me the ones you want to cross off the list and I’ll strike them through.  Also, tell me the ones you want to work on and I’ll change the text color.  They are categorized and numbered so going through the list is easy.
Ok I will post in Consolidated Brainstor thread. At first glance wast majority will have to bre crossed out. Not because they are bad ideas but because Effort<=>Effect ratio is bad.
I.e.:
6.  Allow a temporary change (increase or decrease) to unit's weapon proficiency attributes for various reasons.  For example, worshippers of The One become enraged on battlefield leading to temporarily increased battle stats while you raid a village.  Certain factions can have advantages on certain battlefields (i.e. Villianians lower proficiency in fog, Adenians lower proficiency in Mountains, etc.)
Really cool idea when you look at it. But noone, and I mean noone will ever notice that change and amount of work... Is huge.

But I will try to dig the thread (wow I didn't lokok there for a while you had to spend days to make that list!) for the treasure. And the treasure would be easy to implement but singnificant feature.
Something like:
12.  Add a "duel your troops" option with gear (similar to training grounds).  XP at a reduced rate should be awarded. 
It's absolutely brilliant idea. Few simple dialog lines.  Plus few simple lines to mission_templates and we have a game option that could provide many hours of fun to players. You choose how many troops you want to battle on the arena, type (if you have them in party) and there you go. You could also choose allies (that would require probably a bit more work but is totaly worth that).

Another cool feature I seen somewhere (don't think its on that list, from another mod I played) was the ability to loot your own troops after a battle.  The moral loss is significant but allows you to get some high end equipment off your elites when they fall (opposed to sending it home to thier families???). 

An idea that would have big effects and relativily little work, but maybe to powerful. 

Either reply in the thread or PM me what you like and what you intend to cross off and I'll update it. 

You should lose honor for that too, and get high chances for frequent bad random events. If I were a zealous crusader or member of a knighthood order, I wouldn't want to follow any commander who pulled stunts like that instead of letting my family, church, martial order, or brothers in arms benefit from my equipment.

It is an interesting idea, though...  let's expand upon it. :idea:

Perhaps the effects could partially vary by religion? Void folks would want decreased honor (so no honor change for you!). Plus, they seem like the type to readily cannibalize their comrades, at least where equipment is concerned; death is absorption back into the Void and all that. However, perhaps this has a chance of an event making you have to fight alone against a mutiny from some of your own elite troops when they try to do the same to you!

The True Path of Enlightenment should is all about your Detachment -- if you pull a stunt of greed with mere worldly goods like this, you are flying in the face of Detachment itself. However, your elites are also all about Detachment; objects have no power or meaning by themselves. So once the wielder is dead, the sword is meaningless; if the commander makes some money to help the team, that serves the common good. Looting your dead elites as an Enlightenment follower should be a double-edged sword; benefits and drawbacks, and some 50/50 chances of benign or bad events. Perhaps a few of your elites simply Detach themselves from your petty mercenary band immediately.

Followers of The Old Gods seem most likely to abide by ancient traditional customs and simply divide up all the loot among themselves without a tremendous moral crisis occurring. You as the commander are acting outside of your role, but your troops would probably accept some kind of quid pro quo. Perhaps they demand a permanent increase in wages and/or more of the loot, and a one-time percentage of your total denars.

That leaves The One and the godless heathens. These folks seem the most likely to have straightforward, down-to-earth penalties. The One is about law and order. You lose a lot of honor and religious piety, and always get a bad event for Punishment to fit the Crime. Your prior Honor is taken into account for this.

Nonbelievers don't have any moral authority granted by religion, so they should get the worst that human pettiness and greed can offer. You take the heaviest morale penalty, you have a chance for an event where you either pay off your elites or face an elite walkout if you fail an Intrigues roll, and your troops temporarily have a chance to steal something from you and desert one at a time. You loot them, they loot you back.

All of these events should be mitigated/exacerbated by your Honor and Religious Piety. High honor or piety shouldn't always help, though -- if you're highly Detached as an Enlightenment believer, that should make the effects worse, etc.

That ought to compensate for "too powerful", hmm? :grin:

Back
Top Bottom