Bizarre graphical glitch

Users who are viewing this thread

This is my screen when i'm playing warband:

655n9f.jpg
2ngswwm.jpg
122zpn5.jpg

These things flicker back and forth on the screen, but only when I look in a particular direction on the map. The screen is perfect when I look anywhere else...
Is it the game doing this or could my graphic card be busted? Any other game works good so I'm rather hesitant at the thought. Has anyone else had this glitch?  :oops:

Kapt Torbjorn said:
I've been having it since I switched to Dx7.  Quite annoying, usually only happens at the start of a round though.

Yup, the "angle" is usually somewhere near my spawning area.
Do have an old computer? Mine is 5 years old. :neutral:

Got the same problem. Dx7 on a 5 year old Notebook, Radeon 9700 Mobility... I'm sort of glad the game runs anyway  :wink:

cover_your_eyes said:
Kapt Torbjorn said:
I've been having it since I switched to Dx7.  Quite annoying, usually only happens at the start of a round though.

Yup, the "angle" is usually somewhere near my spawning area.
Do have an old computer? Mine is 5 years old. :neutral:
Mines not that old, around 2-3 years.  But it's hardly a machine built for games.  It's running with a Radeon 9600, all graphics settings for M&B turned to the very bottom.

I have the same problem.  I see it about 15% of the time while playing.  Needless to say, it makes playing difficult.  It also hurts the eyes.  :sad:

Also, using an ATI 9550.  Latest drivers too.

Looks like some kind of rigging issue. You sometimes get a similar effect when a vertex is unrigged and snaps itself to the zero point on the map (I presume that's what it is). No idea why it would only apply to some people though...

Why would a rigging problem happen only with certain hardware?  Would that not be a fault in programming?  :neutral:

This bug happened three times today.  The weird thing is, quitting and reconnecting does not always get rid of it.  Perhaps it has something to do with the models?  It seems to be attached to one of the player models as far as i can see.  :mad:  Different driver versions do not make any difference.

Any help/theories would be appreciated.  :smile:

~ Could someone transfer this thread into the beta forum?

That ladies and gentlemen, is a classic result of the GPU overheating. They are called artifacts, and it is a result of the videocard stressing itself. That is why it didn't go away when Julia quitted and reconnected, as the card was no doubt still hot.

I used to get the exact same issue with my ooooold computer, when it was overheating trying to run Oblivion.

Scorch! said:
That ladies and gentlemen, is a classic result of the GPU overheating. They are called artifacts, and it is a result of the videocard stressing itself. That is why it didn't go away when Julia quitted and reconnected, as the card was no doubt still hot.

I used to get the exact same issue with my ooooold computer, when it was overheating trying to run Oblivion.

I'm pretty sure it is NOT a overheating issue in this case. I have played much more GPU-stressing games like Oblivion, HL2, Vampire Bloodlines, Company of Heroes, and i never ever had such artifacts. And as i am playing on a laptop i can tell you (because i can feel it with my hand at the certain spots, i know where my GPU, CPU and Harddrive are inside the laptop, and these spots ARE getting hot in the games mentioned before) that in M&B the GPU and the rest of my machine is much less getting hot like the games i said before.

I am playing on DX7 and near-to-minimum settings to get max fps.
BTW, yesterday i had that glitch again, and in the moment i was killed it was gone. Next round it was back of course...

Games and computers all handle overheating in different ways. For instance, my old computer would get to the point where it reboots itself when it overheated on other games, and I would not notice any artifacting, but in oblivion it happened almost immediately after I started up the game.

You having no artifacting on other games does not mean it isn't overheating. Get a good heat monitoring tool and check the temps when you are playing to see if it is the problem.

Scorch! said:
Games and computers all handle overheating in different ways. For instance, my old computer would get to the point where it reboots itself when it overheated on other games, and I would not notice any artifacting, but in oblivion it happened almost immediately after I started up the game.

You having no artifacting on other games does not mean it isn't overheating. Get a good heat monitoring tool and check the temps when you are playing to see if it is the problem.

As i said, i stressed my PC in various games, and it definetively was getting much hotter at CPU, GPU and Harddrive in many cases. I checked the temps now with SpeedFan and none was even close to get overheating.

Another thing i noticed in the last 3 hours: shortly after i started playing the glitch appeared, but disapeared some minutes later, an on the river-map i got that glitch again, but i just kept on playing (to check temps), and after a mapchange it disapeared.

I keep getting a similar glitch (been complaining about it so often in chat but totally forgot to post it), of variable gravity.

Sometimes it was a rather minor annoyance...
mbbug03n.jpg

...while sometimes it rendered me literally blind while playing:
mbbug04.jpg

I still didn't figure out what triggers it, but I don't really think it's purely due to the GFX-Card overheating either, since I noticed that Alt-Tabbing out of the game and back in actually resets the screen to normal (I'm really glad I found out about this workaround, though its obviously still somewhat hard to pull off in battle :wink: )

Stuff I noticed:
  • Can appear while spectating too
  • sometimes directional, though in some cases nothing but alt-tabbing (or waiting it out) seems to help
  • removes the symbol that shows which weapon was used to kill somebody
  • slightly changes text colors of kill messages?

Could anyone else who had this kind of graphical glitch try and check if alt-tabbing works for them, too? I really thought I was the only one with this issue (playing on a friggin' notebook with a GeForce 8400 M G and all), it'd be nice to know if all our graphic-glitches are related...

EDIT: Is it possible to move this thread to the Beta Forum? Since I doubt any Devs will read it here, just noticed it's in Warband Expansion (happens if you always have both open in tabs at the same time :razz: )

Common demoninater here seems to be ATi cards. Update your graphics drivers to the absolute latest. Ati make good cards but are notorious for having average drivers so its always best to keep them as up to date as possible.

Julia said:
Also, using an ATI 9550.  Latest drivers too.  Different driver versions do not make any difference.
  It has something to do with Mount and Blade specifically, I don't get this in other games I have tried.

Rome and Medieval Total War, Oblivion, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Hitman...  As far as I can tell, it does not have anything to do with overheating either, as playing Oblivion for an hour at an average of 10 frames per second caused no problems except warmer fan air.

One thing i recognized now is that the flickering instantly disappears as soon as i go in zoom. Another thing is that this glitch appears in one round (e.g. battle), sometimes in the next not. Sometimes it stops in the middle of a round (at least it seems to)... so i start to think that it might be a piece of equipment or armor of someone else that is causing this glitch.

I have also noticed that when zooming in, the anomaly seems to disappear, unless you look directly at its "source".  I am thinking that this has something to do with certain kinds of armour.  I have noticed, that when it occurs, it is especially bad when people are wearing the nord Byrnie.  The anomaly appears to be silver and maroon in colour sometimes, suggesting that it has something to do with this armour.

This glitch appears to be worse with the most recent patch, occurring on average once every three rounds.  I have to quit and rejoin, which does not always get rid of the problem.  :neutral:

Julia said:
  I have also noticed that when zooming in, the anomaly seems to disappear, unless you look directly at its "source".  I am thinking that this has something to do with certain kinds of armour.  I have noticed, that when it occurs, it is especially bad when people are wearing the nord Byrnie.  The anomaly appears to be silver and maroon in colour sometimes, suggesting that it has something to do with this armour.

This glitch appears to be worse with the most recent patch, occurring on average once every three rounds.  I have to quit and rejoin, which does not always get rid of the problem.  :neutral:

You are right, it seems to be the Byrnie. Just had a battle, Nord vs. Khergit, all was fine the first 3 or 4 rounds, then the glitch appeared. We had exactly 3 Brynie wearing archers in our team, they went all to the same positon. As soon as i got far enough away from them to have that Byrnie-Bug (invisible) also this glitch appeared. When i was closing in and the Byrnies where ok and visible again the glitch disappeared too. When i was further away and had the glitch i just watched in a direction where none of these Byrnie-Archers was, the glitch was gone.
I am pretty sure that it is the Byrnie (but maybe not alone, maybe there are other objects/weapons/armors too). The bug was there before that new Byrnie-bug, but maybe that piece of armor is screwed up at all.

UPDATE:
I had that glitch now on a game without Nords! It was Khergit vs. Rhodok. The color was this time dominated by shades of brown, maybe a Khergit-armor?

Back
Top Bottom