decapitations and severed limbs death animations.

Users who are viewing this thread

rorschach82

Veteran
i haven't tried this yet. it just crossed my mind since i'm gonna try learning custom animations next.

anyway, now that it's somewhat possible to create custom animations with openBRF. has anyone tried animation that disconnects one bone segment from another?
or maybe just scaling the bones during animation[scaling the native bones somehow ends up scaling the space between the bones as well..)
without resizing the mesh?

the reason i'm asking this is.. i want to create custom death animations and adding decapitations and severed limbs..

is this possible? has anyone tried this yet? any success??

Hmm... you know how shields would fly off your arm when it gets shattered? Would it be possible to achieve the same effect with head models? It doesn't seem to involve disconnecting the bones, since it's a seperate object that is assigned to the bone.

yea. i was wondering if that effect can be simulated without animation. but the death animation seems to control where the head is.
and afterwards, the physics engine takes over and you see them falling off down the stairs.. etc..

edit: anyway, there's already different animations for dying from head, stomach, or chest wounds.. i was thinking i'll just modify that if it was possible..

well, you could turn off rendering off the head.. there's some command that turns it off when you wear a plate helmet. but not sure how to link it to a head hit.
although that might leave a flying helmet or hat.

dejawolf said:
well, you could turn off rendering off the head.. there's some command that turns it off when you wear a plate helmet. but not sure how to link it to a head hit.

you could turn off the head mesh by changing the code of the equipped helmet? i didn't know that. i thought that only applies to the hair mesh?

edit: nvm. itp_covers_head.. removes the head mesh.. wow, i didn't notice that.. this gives me an idea.. (although, something unrelated to this.)

rorschach82 said:
dejawolf said:

you could turn off the head mesh by changing the code of the equipped helmet? i didn't know that. i thought that only applies to the hair mesh?

edit: nvm. itp_covers_head.. removes the head mesh.. wow, i didn't notice that.. this gives me an idea.. (although, something unrelated to this.)

I really hope you can pull this off. I can't contribute with more than my support.
Good luck!

Yes I have tried this. I tried to do a decapitation animation, but sadly, I have to say it is not possible. The itp_covers_head is a flag, not a command, so you can't assign a flag on the run to something. It'd needed to be made into a operation, e.g like the party has 'disable_party' which auto-forces the pf_disabled flag onto the party.

Dain made a animation where the gun suddenly moved up and down when reloading, I asked him how did he do it and he said he vertex animated the weapon. Not sure if you can vertex anim the helmets, though.

I think I might've found a way to chop off an arm... it was a mad idea, came to me this morning, but I've got a feeling it might work.  Does anybody have Blender set up so that it can convert .obj to .md3?  I have Milkshape (Blender won't work on 64 bit) and Milkshape is refusing to do the job - it says "Couldn't find control file C:\Users\MyName\Desktop\myobject.qc  .  I don't know what that means.

If anyone has Blender or Milkshape working right I have a little object I need converted - I can send it via 4share.

Is there a vader in the house?

If you're trying to unlink the bone and then make the anim and export it, etc, it won't work - I tried that one. But please do share your idea for us. :razz:

Sorry, I don't use Blender.

Yeah, I can export md3... But do you want to import it into milkshape or BRFedit? BRFedit only exports md3 but does not import it IIRC.

Okay, here is the idea... and it will only work if the enemy is equipped with the particular armour set and "shield" I am about to tell you about.  But that is okay.  We don't want to be chopping arms off constantly in every fight... it should be a special occassion.

Okay, so I make a certain troop wear this modified armour.

armless.jpg

It is modified in the sense that half an arm is missing, from the elbow.  It's the shield arm.  We will also have to make an invisible glove for the troop to wear... his real shield arm below the elbow will have to be completely invisible to the player.

I then make a "false arm" like this:

armless2.jpg

This arm will be treated as a shield - it will have all the attributes of a shield, will be entered into the module system as a shield (with low hit points), and will be raised in battle like a shield (it is positioned exactly where an arm holding up a shield would go) - and it will have to be converted to .md3 format at some point, because all shields are .md3. 

In battle, the enemy wearing the armless armour, the invisible glove, and the "false arm shield" (bear with me here) will raise the false arm as if trying to defend himself.  It will have to be positioned exactly in Wings or BRFedit to meet up with the movements of the "armless armour" as much as possible.

Like this, though of course the rest of the arm will be more bent and closer in while in the game:
armless3.jpg

Hopefully we can put the hand on the right way up as well.  :grin:

When the player hits the "shield" it will react as a weak shield does - by breaking and twirling off into the grass, leaving the enemy appearing to have one arm... like so:

99254906.jpg

Here is an artist's impression of how this would look in the game with a sword cut doing the damage...

funri.jpg

Whaddaya think?

Shields are md3 when you export it out of BRFedit because it's vertex animated. You can import OBJ shields and it'll work fine. The vertex animated part is for when you stow it away behind your back, there's a strap that "appears" over your shoulder and across your chest. And I just mentioned in the previous post BRFedit can't import md3 (nor can openBRF). However, you can append OBJs to make vertex animated meshes, but I don't think it's necessary for what you want to do.

Well, the idea should work anyway for getting decapitated hands. But apart from it being a novelty thing it's not much use if you want to be able to equip proper armor, shields and gloves. Hmm... maybe for a zombie mod?

Yeah, it would only work for special opponents - maybe peasants and farmers if you're feeling cruel, or zombies like you say.  Definitely wouldn't work for the player.  It would be good if you cut off a bosses' arm to defeat him in one fight, and he survived and came back later for revenge.

With a 1000hp, 30 resistance iron claw. 'course, you have to make him use the claw-shield more often so that the player has to break it first before he can get a chance kill 'im.

or a hand the first time, a hook the second time, and an ICBM the third time. I'm thinking abbu Hamza round 3, anyone? :grin:

Bearclaw!  He comes back with a Bearclaw!

And it could maybe be cybernetic or something.

JakCurse said:
I'm thinking abbu Hamza round 3, anyone? :grin:

Hhe.  Old Abu is always good for a laugh.  He'll need a false eye as well.

Seriously, though, what if the big boss cuts off the players' hand, and then he could say "...I am your father..."

amade said:
Well, the idea should work anyway for getting decapitated hands. But apart from it being a novelty thing it's not much use if you want to be able to equip proper armor, shields and gloves. Hmm... maybe for a zombie mod?
:grin:

Back
Top Bottom