Post Difficult Questions Here

Users who are viewing this thread

Elenmmare

Stuck on a school question? Find something unsolvable? Post it here.

I'll start (from my Physics homework):

A woman looks at herself in a magnifying converging mirror whose focal length is 20cm. If her face is 10cm from the mirror,
a. At what distance from the mirror is her image?
b. What is the magnification of her face?

Harder than it looks...  :mad:

Jean, is shorter than Brutus, but is taller than Imhotep. Imhotep is taller than Jean, but shorter than Lord Scotland. Lord Scotland is twice the height of Jean and Brutus combined, but only a tenth of the height of Millsy. Millsy is at a constant height of X-Y. If Jean stands at exactly one Nautical Mile away from Lord Scotland, How tall is Imhotep?

Alex_Augmented said:
Jean, is shorter than Brutus, but is taller than Imhotep. Imhotep is taller than Jean, but shorter than Lord Scotland. Lord Scotland is twice the height of Jean and Brutus combined, but only a tenth of the height of Millsy. Millsy is at a constant height of X-Y. If Jean stands at exactly one Nautical Mile away from Lord Scotland, How tall is Imhotep?
You know...if you hadn't contradicted yourself literally 5 words into the second sentence, I might have bought it.

Oyipggy said:
Alex_Augmented said:
You know...if you hadn't contradicted yourself literally 5 words into the second sentence, I might have bought it.
And I was just about to attempt to work it out. Thank you pig man

Oyipggy said:
Alex_Augmented said:
The Answer: Imhotep is invisible.

Archonsod said:
In your own words, and being clear to show your working out where appropriate, formulate a unified field theory. You have sixty minutes for this question.
Impossible is nothing. Therefore the answer is nothing.

Elenmmare said:

A woman looks at herself in a magnifying converging mirror whose focal length is 20cm. If her face is 10cm from the mirror,

a. 10cm
b. Read the info on the back of the mirror, if it says 2x it's because it's two times bigger. If it says 10x it's ten times bigger, and so on...

Easy, huh?  :lol:

Queen Tintin said:
I object to this "pig" word. Nowhere does it appear in my name.

Here's a difficult one:

The next sentence is right.
The previous sentence is wrong.

(Fine. I changed it to previous. Now solve it.)

Which sentence is correct?

(If this is supposed to be constructive, then it's for my...homework...)

If you changed the "last" for "previous" or "first" then it'd be a paradox/contradiction, but as it stands the phrase is ok.

So; If we are all made by atoms and they all react according to their electrons, and we all have the same kinds of atoms and molecules (therefore all of our brains act due to electric attraction - or whatever is the correct term), including our brains, how can something as free will exist?

Oyipggy said:
Queen Tintin said:
I couldn't be bothered to right you name so i sought an alternative. I sought........pig man

*stares off into the distance*

Queen Tintin said:
Oyipggy said:
Queen Tintin said:
I couldn't be bothered to right you name so i sought an alternative. I sought........pig man

*stares off into the distance*
Well, if you say it fast it does sound like "piggy" towards the end.

Ambalon said:
If you changed the "last" for "previous" or "first" then it'd be a paradox/contradiction, but as it stands the phrase is ok.

So; If we are all made by atoms and they all react according to their electrons, and we all have the same kinds of atoms and molecules (therefore all of our brains act due to electric attraction - or whatever is the correct term), including our brains, how can something as free will exist?

:lol:, thanks for the depression.

But I agree. We're governed by how we were brought up. That is all.

Two men was in love with the Sultans daughter, so in order to decide who should marry her the Sultan ordered a compitition between them, and the man who came last to his castle would marry his daughter. So the men jumped on the horses and started riding through the desert, but since both of them wanted to come last, it went very slowly. After three days they were out of food and water and stopped by an oasis, where they met an old wise man. Desperately they told him their dilemma, and the wise man uttered two words before they jumped on the horses and rode the fastest way to the Palace.

What did the wise man say?

I actually know the answer to this one though.

Ambalon said:
Elenmmare said:

a. 10cm
b. Read the info on the back of the mirror, if it says 2x it's because it's two times bigger. If it says 10x it's ten times bigger, and so on...

Easy, huh?  :lol:

Um, no. That's not how mirrors work.

Her image is 20 cm behind the surface of the mirror, magnified 200%, I believe.

When dealing with concave mirrors, the inverse of the focal length is equal to the sum of the inverse distance between the object and the mirror and the inverse distance between the image and the mirror. Solving 1/f = 1/d0 + 1/di for di we get -20, which is 20 cm behind the mirror.

The magnification is equal to the negation of the distance between the object and the mirror over the distance between the image and the mirror. Solving M = -(di/do) for M, we get 2.

@Bulle: I know that one too, or at least a variation of it.

Bulle said:
Two men was in love with the Sultans daughter, so in order to decide who should marry her the Sultan ordered a compitition between them, and the man who came last to his castle would marry his daughter. So the men jumped on the horses and started riding through the desert, but since both of them wanted to come last, it went very slowly. After three days they were out of food and water and stopped by an oasis, where they met an old wise man. Desperately they told him their dilemma, and the wise man uttered two words before they jumped on the horses and rode the fastest way to the Palace.

What did the wise man say?

I actually know the answer to this one though.

The wise man said, "Bulle misremembered." And there was much abuse and disappointment at the ruined riddle.

On the other hand if the sultan had said the man whose horse came last would marry his daughter then the old man would have said "switch horses".

Back
Top Bottom