Post Difficult Questions Here

Users who are viewing this thread

Untitled. said:
How do electronics work? Why does putting a bunch of pieces together make a working phone, TV or computer?
Equally, how do scripting languages work? Why does pressing certain buttons in a certain order lead to something logical happening?
And how do phones work? How does a square-shaped object absorb sound and how does it know where to send the sound? How do these waves of sound partially travel through matter?
How does the internet work? How can my computer be connected to yours?

How do we partially control energy?
Know what's insane? How **** like flash drives work. I mean, when you record something on a CD you've actually changed how it is laid out physically - you can look at it and see a darker area corresponding to what's been saved. When you put a flash drive you're putting electric current through it (and that's how I assume **** works, since it's based on turned on/off states), so you can turn certain things into 0's or 1's. When you remove it, though, there's no battery, no electric current/potential differences. How is the information still there?  :ohdear:

Computer stuff is ****ing magic, man.

Cameras always baffled me the most. I mean, how? You hit a button, and what? Do the wires look at everything and then say "Hot damn, better write that **** down!" or what? That **** is magic yo.
I think about this stuff a lot, by the way  :razz:

So electricity current turns on and off. Gotcha. How the hell do I get some visual change out of that, though? As in, how can I see numbers on the screen of my calculator? Or stuff on my age-old CRT monitor?

Also, how do we convert radio waves into something else? And how does the satellite system know where my TV is?

MadocComadrin said:
Sound is a pressure wave, making small movements. We have a myriad of ways to turn movement into electromagnetic signals.
This sounds relevant. but how do we do that? How do we control and contain this energy?

Vraelomon said:
Cameras always baffled me the most. I mean, how? You hit a button, and what? Do the wires look at everything and then say "Hot damn, better write that **** down!" or what? That **** is magic yo.
I think about this stuff a lot, by the way  :razz:
Actually, for me, cameras remotely make some sense. Well, analog cameras anyway. Mirrors and stuff, that I can understand, but electronics? Hell naw.

Ambalon said:
Computer stuff is ****ing magic, man.
I know right? That's what I keep saying but some people just like to throw around fancy words like logic and physics. Baffling.

Anyway, thanks for the answers guys. I am now slightly less confused by the universe.

Untitled. said:
So electricity current turns on and off. Gotcha. How the hell do I get some visual change out of that, though? As in, how can I see numbers on the screen of my calculator? Or stuff on my age-old CRT monitor?

Also, how do we convert radio waves into something else? And how does the satellite system know where my TV is?
It doesn't. That's why it's possible to get satellite signal without paying ****e.

Untitled. said:

It basically boils down to making a lot of true-false decisions to decide which lights to turn on. In the case of a monitor, which lights to turn on and how much of each color: red, green, and blue, or more depending on the exact technology.

Just imagine a battery with a wire that goes from + to - side.
If you put a switch on the line, the circuit will only be completed when the switch is closed or "on".

If you put 2 switches sequentially, so that the wire goes through both switches before getting to the battery, you have to have both switches on in order to complete the circuit. Logical AND.

If you put 2 switches parallel, so that the wire splits and has the switches and then reconnects to the battery, you can have either of the switches on in order to complete the circuit. Logical OR.

By combining a ****-ton of these you can create state systems that power certain outputs depending on the inputs. Then by sticking a ****-ton of ****-tons together, you get the concept of generic processors that can do a few simple tasks (lines of code) in a certain order (computer program) to accomplish whatever the goal is.

Anyone know of a good market development theory, if one wanted to analyze (and develop strategies for) the US market regarding a high-tech segment, which could still be considered a developing market? (x-ray equipment for industry products)

Untitled. said:
MadocComadrin said:
Sound is a pressure wave, making small movements. We have a myriad of ways to turn movement into electromagnetic signals.
This sounds relevant. but how do we do that? How do we control and contain this energy?
A lot of stuff is based on Faraday's Law of Induction (extrapolations and generalizations of which also define light as an EM wave). There are various electro-physical and electro-chemical interactions as well.

Bluetooth mouse disconnects if it's left alone for more than 1 second. Moving it will connect it again after about 3 seconds.

Why is this happening and what did I do to piss off god?

edit: and the wise people over at google tells me to go to device manager/bluetooth/power management, but guess what? THERE'S NO POWER MANAGEMENT TAB. Using windows 8.1

jacobhinds said:
I've had the same happen to me and I suspect it's some kind of signal interference, from wires or a radio or something. It'll stop working for a minute or so and cut in again immediately. In that case it could be anything, from aliens to the NWO.
I've had this "unknown device" showing up in the bluetooth manager since this started happening. Could have something to do with it. I'll try changing locations

What's the feasibility of wooden armour in a horse-nomadic society with javelins and yew longbows? Is there any type of wood strong enough to deflect or catch arrows or javelins the same way lamellar or mail can?

Here are the "limitations" of this question:

- Society built primarily around deer hunting with javelins and atlatls. Warfare is uncommon and wooden armour would probably be an extension of leather rider protection.
- Any trees are able to be used regardless of real-world availability.
- All tools are stone. No metals.
- Weight is not much of an issue for various reasons, although anything thicker than a couple of centimetres is outside the realm of feasibility.

jacobhinds said:
Is there any type of wood strong enough to deflect or catch arrows or javelins the same way lamellar or mail can?
Use balsa tree imho.  :iamamoron:

jacobhinds said:
What's the feasibility of wooden armour in a horse-nomadic society with javelins and yew longbows? Is there any type of wood strong enough to deflect or catch arrows or javelins the same way lamellar or mail can?

Here are the "limitations" of this question:

- Society built primarily around deer hunting with javelins and atlatls. Warfare is uncommon and wooden armour would probably be an extension of leather rider protection.
- Any trees are able to be used regardless of real-world availability.
- All tools are stone. No metals.
- Weight is not much of an issue for various reasons, although anything thicker than a couple of centimetres is outside the realm of feasibility.
I could see wood "plates" attached to a leather jerkin be enough to stop/break/deflect a stone arrow, especially if it was made for hunting instead of war (those would be thicker, longer arrows with potentially bigger heads). If they can make paper from said wood, paper armor would also work if you believe Mythbusters.

Back
Top Bottom