Random Events

Users who are viewing this thread

Spongly said:
For the last one of course, if you're a heathen Anglian chieftain who worships Wotan you're unlikely to be all that concerned that your men are plundering the temples of the Roman god. Relations with the town in question could still change of course. I think both of the last two ideas are good random events for a Dark Age game by the way.

Good catch!  I'd completely missed that angle.  -- I wonder if it'd be too complex to set it up so that if you back plundering a church, that troops from a Christian nation stand a chance of deserting then and there?  Or maybe just set that test up as something that affects companions.  Someone who worships Wotan might get hung up on the value of a sworn oath, and give you grief if you break your word.  A companion/soldier from a Christian kingdom might have his morale plummet if you allow the raiding of churches.

Edit: Also, alms to the poor was something expected of the wealthy.  I don't know that giving cash to a beggar would result in a gain in honour of +6.  That's around on par with saving a village from bandits, isn't it?

a rival spreads lies to a friendly lord
1. Offer your service to that lord (acts like recieving a quest)
+ 10 relation
2. Send a gift to assure the lord that it was only a lie
+ 5 relation - 30-80denars
3. Let him assume the accusation is true
- 10 relation

Guys, we need at least 20 random events, so keep your submissions coming!  :smile:

I counted 8 so far, plus my 2... We still need ten more. I'll come up with some more :razz:.

If Persuasion checks can be worked into this process:

"Some of your troops have grown restless. One of your (Troop type 1) has been agitating members of the (Troop type 2). A fight broke out."
      ("choice_00_1",[],"Submit them both to the lash, to remind them of their place.",
                                Morale -10
      ("choice_00_2",[],"Tell (troop type 2) to bite their tongues and take it.",
                                  Morale -10, Lose one of troop type 2
      ("choice_00_3",[],"Discipline (Troop type 1), and threaten a lashing if {he/she} gets out of line again.",
                                  Morale -5
      ("choice_00_4",[],"Give a rousing speech about the honour of the band of brothers, promoting unity in the company (Persuasion).",
                                  If successful: Morale +10, If unsuccessful: Repeats with the fourth option missing.

Northcott said:
If Persuasion checks can be worked into this process:

"Some of your troops have grown restless. One of your (Troop type 1) has been agitating members of the (Troop type 2). A fight broke out."
      ("choice_00_1",[],"Submit them both to the lash, to remind them of their place.",
                                Morale -10
      ("choice_00_2",[],"Tell (troop type 2) to bite their tongues and take it.",
                                  Morale -10, Lose one of troop type 2
      ("choice_00_3",[],"Discipline (Troop type 1), and threaten a lashing if {he/she} gets out of line again.",
                                  Morale -5
      ("choice_00_4",[],"Give a rousing speech about the honour of the band of brothers, promoting unity in the company (Persuasion).",
                                  If successful: Morale +10, If unsuccessful: Repeats with the fourth option missing.
why would anyone playing choose options 1 and 2 at all?

how about:

You come upon a scruffy looking enemy soldier, obviously fled from some battlefield, he have no strenght left to flee and no wish to fight you. what do you do?
kill him
let him go
(maybe) try to recruit him.

as for what these things would give in terms of honour, morale and such... I do not know

Conditions: character must be in a settlement with a positive relation to him. character must be male.

Character is approached by the father of a pregnant villager/townswomen he says his daughter claims the character is the father and asks for monetary compensation.

A) deny it knowing it to be false: lose some relations

B) deny it knowing it might be true: lose soem relations, lose honor.

C) ask to see her...  recognizing her from a prior visit pay a fitting price to help support the peasant family for a while: gain some relations, gain honor, lose gold.

D) knowing it may be true threaten the father to keep his mouth shut about it... lose more relations, lose honor

E) knowwing it to be false threaten him to make him stop spreading lies... lose more relation, gain honor

F) kill him outright... lose the most relation, lose honor

In a settlement:
A youth tries to steal a weapon from one of your men and is captured. when questioned he explains he wants to become a warrior.

A) lash him on the spot doing justuce -improves morale

B) offer him the life of a soldier -lose morale, gain a low grade recruit of that faction, spend money to arm him, gain honor

C) let him go  - lose morale

D) kill him outright -  gain ronoun (as a hard ass), lose faction in village or town

"You walk into a recent leaved battlefield and you see the bodies of your enemies dead and bleeding."

(choice_00_1",[],"Bury our enemies with honor.",
                                    Honor +5

("choice_00_2",[],"LOOT THE BODIES!!!!.",
                                      Honor - 6, Renown +4, Loose relationship with "...." kingdom , morale -20 , +3000 gold

("choice_00_3",[],"Leave them right how they are.",
                                      Morale -5

("choice_00_4",[],"Loot the bodies, and burn them has a quick burial.",
                                    Morale +3 , Renown +1 , +3000 gold

PS:this is supposed to be rare

"while travelling, you find an old tomb with italic inscriptions. what do you do?.",
      ("choice_00_1",[],"tell the position to a bard",
                                RENOWN +15
      ("choice_00_2",[],"unlock the door, and loot it..",
                                RENOWN -5 GOLD +2500
      ("choice_00_3",[],"repair the tomb and tell the position to a surrounding authority.",
                                  HONOR +10

:grin:

"While traveling the country you arrive near the bridge and want to cross it. At the end of bridge stands warrior in black and he don't let anyone to cross the bridge. what you do? ",
      ("choice_00_1",[],"I supose that money opens every path. What about 1000 coins?",
                                money -1000, renown -5
      ("choice_00_2",[],"order your troops to kill him",
                                  Only if you have at least 10 man. You lose 5 man i process. honor -5, -5 morale
      ("choice_00_3",[],"Order your archers to shoot him off",
                                  Only if you have at least 5 archers, honor -15, +5 morale
      ("choice_00_4",[],"Fight with him by yourself ",
                                You fight against one very strong fighter. If you win +5 honor +5 renown, if you lose -10 renown -10 morale and show text saying:" You had to find another cross over the river.".

(this kind of quest can be triggered near the bridge with quiet high probability cca 5%)

If you would use this then i believe it needs some language polishing (i am not good enough in english).

Good one, but the choices have to be improved. Why losing renown when paying him toll? And losing honor and morale when killing him?

loosing renown when paying your way - no one take you serious as commander or fighter if you have to pay instead of fight.

loosing honor when you let your troops make this fight for you instead you take sword and teach the bastard lesson. Your troops gets hard beating from only one man which wouldn't be necessary if you wasn't such coward..

loosing honor when your archers killed him - it isn't way an Honorable warrior deals with others respectful enemies - an d he is only one....

(it is a way i feel it)

maybe to add to description of black warrior: renowned and feared warrior in black

but feel free to change gains and loses at your taste, use only an idea

Guys, I invite you to write more random events. We will need a lot of them for the upcoming release!

A particularly charismatic firebrand of a monk approaches you and asks you to be allowed to preach the gospel to your men.

Allow him attach himself your party; he may serve as an inspiration for the troops!
add troop "preacher" (if this is not practical, instead maybe the morale boost could be improved while also removing gold to simulate upkeep)
add morale 30
Allow him to give a sermon, and then send him on his way with a small donation.
add morale 20
remove gold 100
Kill the preacher for heresy!
lose honor 15
lose morale 5
Drive him off.  Such zealotry could be divisive among your men.
no effect (maybe lose minimal renown?)

Conditions:  Unlikely to occur in Saxon lands (can this be done?)

The event may not be entirely balanced, feel free to tweak the morale gains.

I sort of like the idea of the "Black Knight" standing at a bridge saying "none shall pass". It has a bit of a Monty Python feel to it.

Antonius Block said:
A particularly charismatic firebrand of a monk approaches you and asks you to be allowed to preach the gospel to your men.

Allow him attach himself your party; he may serve as an inspiration for the troops!
add troop "preacher" (if this is not practical, instead maybe the morale boost could be improved while also removing gold to simulate upkeep)
add morale 30
add morale 20
remove gold 100
lose honor 15
lose morale 5

Everyone would just choose the first option. An extra unit, loads of morale, no setbacks. Everything else, you just loose.

Lurdze said:
Antonius Block said:

add morale 30
add morale 20
remove gold 100
lose honor 15
lose morale 5

Everyone would just choose the first option. An extra unit, loads of morale, no setbacks. Everything else, you just loose.

Well the idea that I had (which was not conveyed in the initial post) was that the troop would have substantial upkeep, and perhaps if he ever died/got captured/left the party there could be a second event which would result in a substantial hit to morale.  If this is not feasible, there could be an adequate cost inserted.

While traveling, you stumble upon mountain bandits ravaging a woman.[/b].",  :cool:
      ("choice_00_1",[],"Attack!",
                                HONOR +5
      ("choice_00_2",[],"Watch from afar",
                                HONOR -5
      ("choice_00_3",[],"Ignore them.",
                                  HONOR -5

Should have a scene with a peasant woman fighting 3-4 Mountain bandits on the allied side OR possibly a female companion that you rescue :smile:

(**SHOULD BE JEALOUS OF OTHER FEMALE COMPANIONS IF POSSIBLE**)

Back
Top Bottom