Moving slower while going backwards?

Users who are viewing this thread

The Pope

Sergeant Knight
First up I'd like to say this game is the best representation of medieval combat I've ever seen in a computer game. I really love it. However, there's one thing I about the game I'd like changed - make players move slightly faster when going straight forwards and slightly slower when going backwards. That would allow you to close in on spearmen, move up to help allies who are in trouble and surround enemies. I don't really how someone can run backwards at full speed, let alone do it while fighting off blows from about 5 enemies.

What do people think of this idea?

Hello there, Benedict. How is the Curia these days?

Sounds good, I've been a bit irked by the backward running I can do while on foot.

The only really well working tactic is backing away from enemies while kicking their asses.

The backing away problem can be solved by giving the AI enemies a bit of uncertainty in combat. At the moment they're all suicidally ignorant of damage, so you have no choice but to backpedal because their only tactic is to stand on your toes and swing endlessly until they fall.

If you can shake up an enemy with a good hit, or if killing one made other enemies in the vicinity a little more apprehensive about charging straight for you, it'll open up the combat a little and give you room for more tactical approaches than holding back and swinging as fast as you can.

On the other hand, if you back up slower, winning in the arena with a bow without heavy training will become incredibly difficult.

Oh God (or should that be, Oh Pope?), it's bad enough trying to retreat when you fall off your horse without making that any harder. As has been said, the only really viable tactic is to keep moving at speed and out run your enemies while you slash at them from a safe distance.

I think the ideas to put a bit of fear into your combatants is a good idea (After all, when was the last time you tore 55 of a group of 60 bandits apart and had the last couple of guys run away from you? Never?). However, being able to turn around and run for it at full speed would be nice.

How about slowing backwards movement but adding a speed boost when running forwards without swinging or defending? That would let you run away on foot when in danger. Plus it would make walking around towns a bit quicker.

Yea, "sprint" suggestions were already voiced. Combined with stamina bar, that would be simply perfect... Btw, an other stats (Endurance) could be put in, that add +stamina, +HP. So, an archer with high Str, Agi and End (and light armor) will be able to sprint long distances, then turn back and shower the clumsy enemies with arrows. Not that you'll be able to outrun a horse, heh... and you will be still vulnerable to enemy archers... anyway, everybody would fight on a horse if they had funds for it :wink:.
Only advantage of footmen that they can form a phalanx and/or a shield wall... but since we don't have it (at least for now), being dismounted equals being crippled.

The Pope said:
How about slowing backwards movement but adding a speed boost when running forwards without swinging or defending? That would let you run away on foot when in danger.
Good idea. I also like Balor's idea of an Endurance stat and the stamina bar. Certainly might make things interesting if you tire out on the battlefield in some of the larger battles (just as long as your opponents tire out too mind you).

The Pope said:
Plus it would make walking around towns a bit quicker.
I actually think the whole "walking around town" thing should be ditched completely. I much prefer the "town map" style of every-city-except-zandar where you simply click on where you want to go. Perhaps make that an image of a town (a pretty picture that sections of it highlight when you move over "the tavern" or what not) and perhaps throw in a "Courtyard" area where those who want can click there and walk around town to talk to people and get to the tavern and other areas that way for that immersive feel. Perhaps even throw the odd interesting character in the courtyard and there you go.

Im for that, sprinting + stamina bar would rock.

Plus as has been said elsewhere a stamina bar would tie into sleeping/making camp.

Continuing on the idea of a sprint button - it'd only work when moving straight forward - diagonals and moving backwards just aren't an option.

It means that if you need to turn and run, you actually DO have to turn.

Back
Top Bottom