Gratuitous Space Battles

Users who are viewing this thread

Archonsod

An old salt from the mainland
Marquis
main.jpg

Is now in beta. Similar deal to M&B, if you buy now you get the beta version and free updates up until the final release.

As the name implies, it's all about the battles. There's no overarching campaign, story or similar, just your ability to design a ship

ShipDesign.jpg

Choose a battleground

MissionSelect.jpg

Deploy your ships

BattleDeployment.jpg

And watch them shoot seven shades of ****e out of the enemy

Fighterskirmish.jpg

The battles themselves are non-interactive, like Dominions and similar you deploy your fleet and give orders at the start of the battle and your ships will try their best to fulfill them. This allows for asynchronous multiplayer via play by email, and the ability to create or complete challenges set by other players (they create a kickarse fleet, you get to try to take it down).
There's no storyline, campaign or similar holding it together, just as the name suggests gratuitous battles. You do earn honour based on your performance in each battle which can be used to unlock new equipment for the designer. In addition, the game features four races which you can switch between after beating all of the battles for one particular race.
The ship designer is well done, with multiple hulls, weapons and other systems each with their own advantages and disadvantages. You're constantly balancing crew and power requirements and production with defence and offensive capabilities, with weight and thrust playing a part too. There are only three different classes of hull, however the variation in specific hulls along with the multitude of components allows for a lot of variation on viable tactics and fleet compositions.
All in all, it's a strangely compelling game.

5 minutes after seeing this thread and the youtube clip the game was ordered.

This looks beyond awesome :grin:

Quite frankly I hated the battles in Dominions due to the lack of interactivity, so I think maybe this is not for me.

Mage246 said:
Quite frankly I hated the battles in Dominions due to the lack of interactivity, so I think maybe this is not for me.

Same. Though I was about 10 so I had reason to be confused. Still, loved the music in Dom. 3

Now that was pretty cool. But I don't think I'll get the full game.
Battles only just don't give me the same gratification I'd get from a battle with a fleet I actually collected the ressources for, built and sent to where they're supposed to fight myself.

Yet presentation and mechanics are definitely something to remember.

Edit:
doesn't/don't... whatever

The Galactic Conquest expansion has entered beta, and can be bought from Positech's official site!
Basically it's what Wellenbrecher was hoping for in the post above. Like Spore, it's using the massively single player concept, where every enemy fleet has been designed by other eager admirals within the campaign's resource limitations.
I did a quick test run and it seems to work well, but it didn't explain what the threat percentage means. Anyone got an idea of what it might be?

Ljas said:
The Galactic Conquest expansion has entered beta, and can be bought from Positech's official site!

This is just what the game needs.

Does that Positech's beta works with steam version or do I have to wait until it comes sale in steam?

Back
Top Bottom