SP Tutorial Module System The Unofficial Video Tutorial Series - Coding. (2/x videos available!)(updated!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello and welcome! I've made a video tutorial series on modelling, texturing and UV-mapping. (basically all things graphics that has to do with M&B)
but I've had loooaaadss of requests for more scripting like tutorials! Getting items in-game etc. So, here they are. :smile: This series is supposed to get you from setting up the module and understanding what's going on, to actually coding pretty complex scripts to work in M&B.

Without further ado:

Coding Video Tutorial 1 - Getting Started (~33min)

Coding Video Tutorial 2 - Basic overview + items.py & troops.py (~1h) (beware 200+ mb!)

If there are any questions or requests related to the video tutorials, feel free to post. If anything is unclear, feel free to post, if you want to thank me, feel free to post. :razz:
I hope these are somewhat helpfull, I know I could have certainly used these when I started modding here.

Thanks for watching!
-Highelf

P.S the following tutorials will come eventually - not sure when I'll be working on them. :smile: Try not to post "when da neckst tutoriol plox". :wink:

First of all, a shameless plug before you can indulge into my free video tutorials. :razz: I'm doing commissioned work from now on: 3D models and digital paintings. More info here, please check it out! :smile:

You could shorten the intro a bit... actually you could shorten it a lot. There's 8 minutes of it! And most of 'em I have to say was quite opinionated and slightly discouraging :razz:

Otherwise everything else is alright and should help newbies get started. Looking forward to seeing the "meat" of the tutorials in the next videos ;')

amade said:
You could shorten the intro a bit... actually you could shorten it a lot. There's 8 minutes of it! And most of 'em I have to say was quite opinionated and slightly discouraging :razz:

Otherwise everything else is alright and should help newbies get started. Looking forward to seeing the "meat" of the tutorials in the next videos ;')

Yeah, it is a bit long. And yes, a tiny bit discouraging. :razz: I don't want tons of noobs starting something they can't finish -- the mod forums is bad enough as it is. Harsh truth above all! :wink:

Well, most of the advice in the intro was sound advice, however while I would definitely encourage modders to diversify their skills (by learning modeling, texturing and coding) I wouldn't discourage them from joining/making mod teams. Even if it was doomed to fail for any reason including ones you've supplied I'd say it'd be a good learning experience; learning using the sink or swim method  :twisted:

Teams do work well if they have a leader with good management skills and members that actually Communicate with each other (that's Communicate with a capital C). If they lack these attributes then they should buck up, but they shouldn't avoid trying.

That's my tuppence worth at least. ;')

I don't think I've discouraged people to join a mod team -- or at least I didn't mean to. What I did say was to not ever rely on team members too much. :smile: If you find a project you like enough to join it, then by all means you should -- you just shouldn't start up a project hoping you'll have one graphics dude doing everything for you, for example. (because that's very rare. :razz:)

I love your tutorials Highelf!

If you have some time, you can translate to spoken language ( :lol:) my scripting tutorials.

Even though I know the basics, I watched the video and can't wait for the next episode.

I've got a question. How do you "compress" your videos? I take a small, around 10 sec video with about 500x500 region and my video is 15.5mb. Movie Maker seems to drop my quality very much...

cdvader

cdvader said:
I've got a question. How do you "compress" your videos? I take a small, around 10 sec video with about 500x500 region and my video is 15.5mb. Movie Maker seems to drop my quality very much...

cdvader

Yeah, my first draft was like 2 gigs -- I compiled it into ".avi" by accident. ".wmv" (I think... check the vid) is the way to go.

Really? The download link didn't work for me, I mean I clicked "Download Now" on the repository, but it says:
This web page is not found.

No web page was found for the web address: http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/visit.php?cid=2&lid=1454&f=Coding_Video_Tutorial_2_0.rar

Back
Top Bottom