The Kanabō

Users who are viewing this thread

Cyclohexane

Knight at Arms
Gentlemen,
I just finished creating a new weapon called the Kanabō (with help from Amade).  Since there really are no two handed clubs, this has its own nitch (like the throwing hammers that will be in V5).  Here are a couple of screens. 

0a3cc1ae8f92b10498e3567b475043b85g.jpg

6cbb69a9c5a5e17aa328ceb72716904b5g.jpg

For more details and screenshots, check out the thread located CLICK HERE

I am thinking to make the iron version only available via the blacksmith in SOD V5. 

Also, I want some feedback on 2-handed version (holds upright) versus a polearm version (holds well, like a polearm).  There is no difference in stats and you cannot use on a horse anyway, but it really only affects the graphics (how it is held) and the weapon proficiencies.  I am leaning toward 2-handed, but I like how it looks when held like a polearm. 

Example screens of the difference in spoiler below:

kanobou_wood_stud_hard.jpg

Kanobou Wooden Studded with ring (held like a polearm)

2-handed_look.jpg

Kanobou Wooden Studded without ring (held like a 2-handed weapon)

:shock: BEAUTIFUL WORK Cyclohexane and Amade!  :twisted: I would love to use that in my crusade.

:lol: I also like your second screen shot where it appears your in a blocking stance and at the bottom is reads "Your enemies flee in terror!" It has to be that weapon from unknown origin or the sheer power of the Kanabō that no man dares to challenge their fates

Any chance we could see that shrunk to a more realistic size?

The handle on that alone would be a real menace to the wielder! :razz:

It looks awesome! :grin:

Mordachai said:

I think if it is only available at the black smith it will be a funny addition, a giant iron club.
It would also be a cool manhunter weapon...

And it looks better as a 2-handed weapon.

jasonxfri13th said:
Mordachai said:

I think if it is only available at the black smith it will be a funny addition, a giant iron club.

Yeah we need more blunt weapomns that can match the strength of a sword ^_^  and I agree it looks better as a two hander

I think it is great as a two-hander.  But right now its more like a 7-hander.  lol, you would need to be about 8' tall to wield it well.  If the entire thing was scaled down to about 2/3 of its current size (at least in length), then both the handle and the club surface would be wieldalbe by a mere mortal.

Mordachai said:

Mordachai said:
I think it is great as a two-hander.  But right now its more like a 7-hander.  lol, you would need to be about 8' tall to wield it well.  If the entire thing was scaled down to about 2/3 of its current size (at least in length), then both the handle and the club surface would be wieldalbe by a mere mortal.

Actually,
That is the historical size (4 foot which = 122 length) and it was modeled based off information I found from websites.  There was a show on Spike TV (Deadliest Warrior) that had a feature on this weapon.  It was very impressive breaking bone like a hot knife through butter.  This was part of my inspiration and additional research on the weapon says it was wielded by a demon in Japanese mythology (an Oni).  This was not a rank and file weapon.  Only a few could wield a weapon such as this. 

The samurai had to train extensively to use this weapon because after striking they left themselves very vulnerable if they missed.  Of course if they hit, it was pretty much game over.  Even if they hit a weapon trying to block it (Japanese did not use shields), it would smash it to pieces giving them time to recover.  Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to break weapons in M&B, but shields will be smashed...

I gave the iron version a speed rating of 50 and damage of 46 blunt (and 7.25 weight with 14 difficulty to use).  The in game weight is kilograms correct?  I may need to increase this to be historically accurate.  These weapons weighed between 11 and 35 pounds.  The spike versus stud changes speed and damage slightly making them essentially equal.  The wooden version is lighter, faster, but does less damage.  None of them can be used from horseback (which is historically accurate). 

jasonxfri13th said:

I like the idea of unique weapons at the blacksmith and plan to give some background to the zerrks as ammasing their wealth through the slave trade.  Blunt weapons being their specialty (opposed to a copy of the kneirgts).  I think this adds some RPG elements to the game.  However, still we live in a democracy and that is why I am posting.  I think the wooden versions can be available in the shops, perhaps even make them all available in the shops but with a very low abundance value so the odds of getting a balanced one are very slim (like 5 abundance).  It would be easier to conquer a castle, build a blacksmith, and order one than searching all over for this weapon. 

For reference, I am setting all the new Zerrk items an abundance of 25 (exquisite plate has an abundance of 15 and you see how rare it shows up).  I also want to give all the new items from other civilizations an abundance of 25 and give them the merchandise tag.  This only affects your character so if you do not like it, do not buy it.  VM gave me the go ahead here.  More items to make you look like your civ! 

However, I do not think it would be a good manhunter weapon for a couple of reasons.  The main thing is they already have new weapons.  In V5, they will have throwing hammers, a 1 / 2 handed mace (like a bastard sword), a sledgehammer, and a couple new 1-H maces and 2-H polehammers. 

Another point is they do not have an infantry tree.  I thought to add one but then decided against it because they need to be mobile, not a standing army.  It just does not seem logical when you think of their purpose.  Since they do not have an infantry tree, giving them a 2-handed weapon will cause them to spawn with this weapon on horseback (which cannot be used on horseback) and subsequently ride around punching things with no weapon.  To get around this, I made a special version of some of these weapons for slave chiefs to use from horseback not available in merchants (really only a graphical change as damage and speed was adjusted). 

As far as striking goes, there is really no difference in the polearm versus 2-handed weapon.  The only difference is what skill you need to increase for weapon proficiencies (polearm or 2-handed weapon) and how the weapon is held when idle.  I would prefer it to be held like a polearm (at an angle like a heavy weapon) opposed to a 2-hander (which is held straight up).  However I think using the 2 handed weapon proficiency makes since more than increasing polearm skill.  I don't know, I guess either is ok since it was a specialty item of the samurai. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to make it act like a polearm but use the 2-handed weapon proficiency?  I hate to make it to easy on the characters (have 1 proficiency for horseback (lances) and on foot (this beast)).  Of course that option is available now and it doesn't seem to break balance.  I think I am going to stick with polearm unless someone can give me some logical reasons as to why not (make sure you click the spoiler to see the difference). 

Does anyone know if it is possible to make it act like a polearm but use the 2-handed weapon proficiency?  I hate to make it to easy on the characters (have 1 proficiency for horseback (lances) and on foot (this beast)).  Of course that option is available now and it doesn't seem to break balance.  I think I am going to stick with polearm unless someone can give me some logical reasons as to why not (make sure you click the spoiler to see the difference).
Sure, it's easy. In items file weapon animations/the way a character holds a weapon is separate from other data.

vonmistont said:
Sure, it's easy. In items file weapon animations/the way a character holds a weapon is separate from other data.

I'm not familiar with this and tried playing with the tuples the other night and just made a 2-handed weapon that could not be used.  Could you specify what needs to be changed please?

Hmm... compare with this, and it does seem a little on the large side. I'm with Mordachai that it could use some scaling down.

Even so, that linked photo or painting (whatever it is) is still huge!  Those things were serious!  And the handle is still 1/2 their total length, which is pretty amazing.

Would be really cool to see footage of someone who knows wtf they're actually doing with one of those monsters!

sirinan said:
Hmm... compare with this, and it does seem a little on the large side. I'm with Mordachai that it could use some scaling down.

That picture confirms the length (about 4 foot long if not larger and the weapon was designed in game exactly 4 foot long).  Moreover, look at the links of pictures I placed in the origial post.  However, I do agree that the diameter is a bit large.  I can easily scale that down in the.brf editor and I found a size that looks good (75% of original in X and Z axis).  I'll tweak it a bit more.  Believe me, I like fantasy, but not in this game.  I can accept imaginary civilizations but they have to use real weapons. 

So I'll adjust the diameter, but the length stays.  I'll post more screens after I get some guidance from VM as to how to make the weapon proficiency 2-handed but act like a polearm.  I played around with it and couldn't get it but VM has a lot of XP here.  If it can't be done, I'd prefer it to stay a polearm in order to look more realistic.  No one is going to carry a 35 pound weapon straight up like that for any long period of time. 

Mordachai said:
Even so, that linked photo or painting (whatever it is) is still huge!  Those things were serious!  And the handle is still 1/2 their total length, which is pretty amazing.

Would be really cool to see footage of someone who knows wtf they're actually doing with one of those monsters!

You need to catch that Deadliest Warrior episode then (pair up historical troops and go through all their weaponry).  If I remember correctly, they put up a Samurai against a Spartan warrior and the Spartan won.  Very interesting show for guys like us.

Interesting addition, nice work.

I agree as to the size remarks and I think you are right that most of the fantasy feel comes from the diameter of it. In practice weapons tended to get slimmer as they became longer. Also, note that the "reach" stat of the weapon is measured from the point at which the right hand grips it (the axis origin in the brf editor). So if the entire weapon is 4 feet, the reach is much shorter (excludes most of the grip). The way I used to measure the reach when I updated SoD stats is to zoom all the way in on the default position in brf edit (axis origin - the grip point) and then do a Y-axis shift (using the menus) until the weapon tip is in the center of the screen, where the grip position was. The total shift is the reach.

As far as I know you cannot change the idle animation of a weapon in a simple way. That animation is set by the weapon type (pole arms, 1H, 2H, etc). I tried to change that for the 2H axes to be held like a pole arm (as they should) while counting as a 2H weapon, but did not find how to do this. If you find a way, let me know. If the weapon is forbidden from cavalry use, it is possible to simply make it a polearm, but when it is allowed from horseback it also makes it couchable...

Cyclohexane said:
Actually,
That is the historical size (4 foot which = 122 length) and it was modeled based off information I found from websites.  There was a show on Spike TV (Deadliest Warrior) that had a feature on this weapon.  It was very impressive breaking bone like a hot knife through butter.  This was part of my inspiration and additional research on the weapon says it was wielded by a demon in Japanese mythology (an Oni).  This was not a rank and file weapon.  Only a few could wield a weapon such as this.

Yeah, like the Japanese two handed swords (and the European ones for that matter) they were only typically wielded by a few shock troops. That deadliest warrior show is a joke though, based more off myth and hollywood than fact.

mouthnhoof said:
Interesting addition, nice work.

I agree as to the size remarks and I think you are right that most of the fantasy feel comes from the diameter of it. In practice weapons tended to get slimmer as they became longer. Also, note that the "reach" stat of the weapon is measured from the point at which the right hand grips it (the axis origin in the brf editor). So if the entire weapon is 4 feet, the reach is much shorter (excludes most of the grip). The way I used to measure the reach when I updated SoD stats is to zoom all the way in on the default position in brf edit (axis origin - the grip point) and then do a Y-axis shift (using the menus) until the weapon tip is in the center of the screen, where the grip position was. The total shift is the reach.

As far as I know you cannot change the idle animation of a weapon in a simple way. That animation is set by the weapon type (pole arms, 1H, 2H, etc). I tried to change that for the 2H axes to be held like a pole arm (as they should) while counting as a 2H weapon, but did not find how to do this. If you find a way, let me know. If the weapon is forbidden from cavalry use, it is possible to simply make it a polearm, but when it is allowed from horseback it also makes it couchable...

The weapon length was in fact calculated from the object center (the model's axis) and compared with a native weapon which had a known weapon reach, so 122 is correct. Using your same method, I translated the weapon along the Y-axis about -1.22 and the view was centered on the tip of the weapon which confirmed it. As for how long the weapon really is from tip-to-tip I reckon it's a bit more than 4 feet.

Relentless said:
Yeah, like the Japanese two handed swords (and the European ones for that matter) they were only typically wielded by a few shock troops. That deadliest warrior show is a joke though, based more off myth and hollywood than fact.

Perhaps but it is fun to watch and you learn some things that are true.  Like everything you watch on TV is true...

As a reference point for ya, as a kid I enjoyed WWF, Andre the Giant, Bushwackers, Jake the Snake, Rowdy Rowdy Piper, etc. 

Here is some more screens with the diameter reduced.  I like it much better this way.  I'm not going to post all the variations again but you get the idea. 

75%25%20kanobou_iron_spiked_hard.jpg

75%25%20kanobou_wood_stud_hard.jpg

Back
Top Bottom