B Tutorial 2D Texturing using Projection Camera in Wings 3D -- EXTENDED

Users who are viewing this thread

It took me some time to figure that using projection camera is an easy way to texture in Wings, so I'm making something like a tutorial for anyone interested.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this tutorial we'll learn how to texture models using the Projection Camera function.

You will need:
1. Wings 3D (I used version 1.0-rc1)
2. Image editor able to paint patterns over the image (I used Photoshop CS2 and the Pattern Stamp tool)
Note: This is actually the texture itself; it may not be a pattern, you can copy/paste it, paint it, etc. So basically you need a good image editor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING: These methods are for texturing models that DO NOT require special textures. Models that are not symmetric, armours, or any models that require different textures on different sides MAY NOT be textured correctly. I've tested these methods on weapons and helmets ONLY.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tip: If you texture things different from weapons, you might need not the Y but another camera view. To get in a camera view press the corresponding key on the keyboard - for view from the X axis press"x", from Y press "y" and from Z press "z"
Part 1. Texturing a chopped-in-half object and mirroring
For normal, not cut objects, see Part 2 of this tutorial.
1. Model your mesh (I made some kind of a bardiche) or open a ready one. I made mine suitable for cutting through the middle for ease in texturing, but it's not necessary to cut yours in half. Triangulate it (Select all faces -> Tesselate -> Triangulate).
2. This is what we're texturing:
3. Once ready modelling, select the object and click ".UV Mapping." Click on the flat face(s) on the one side and select "Ignore faces", because it saves space on the texture and we don't need it textured, because when we mirror the model it won't be seen.
4. Segment the different material parts into different auv charts and don't forget the little faces at the end:
5. Ready. I've segmented the steel pieces as AuvChart 1 and the wooden like AuvChart 2.
6. Now press the Y key on the keyboard to go to Y axis camera view mode. Get the whole object into the borders of the little screen.
7. Click Continue -> Projection Camera.
8. Here are the projected pieces:
9. Scale, rotate, move and do whatever you want with the pieces.
10. Create a new texture
11. Make it external (from Tools -> Outliner) and save it somewhere. DO NOT close Wings.
12. Edit your texture:
13. Refresh the texture.
14. Ready! The first part of the weapon is textured.
15. Select the flat face and click "Mirror"
16. And voila! Now the whole weapon is textured, but in fact, we textured only half of it.
Part 2. Texturing a normal, not chopped-in-half object
1. Well, here's the model. As you can see:
A) It's the same that we used above
B) It's not cut through the middle
2. Select the object and click ".UV Mapping."
3. Segment the different material parts into different auv charts and don't forget the little faces at the end:
4. Ready. I've segmented the steel pieces as AuvChart 1 and the wooden like AuvChart 2.
5. Now press the Y key on the keyboard to go to Y axis camera view mode. Get the whole object into the borders of the little screen.
6. Click Continue -> Projection Camera.
7. Here are the projected pieces:
8. Scale, move, rotate and do whatever you want with the pieces.
9. Make the texture external, edit it and refresh it.
10. And the whole model is textured.

If you have read Part 2 only and didn't understand something, look through Part 1, where everything is more extensively explained.
The whole process takes around 10 minutes (without the modelling).
I hope that this was helpful and clearly said.

Because of an e-mail request I am extending this tutorial (I actually had to do it the first time). The extended one includes step-by-step guide for texturing not cut in half objects. I hope that everything is clearly written and the tutorial will be worth it.
Post your feedback!
EDIT: Sorry, e-mail sender, I seem to have lost your e-mail and I don't know who you were. Please inform me again to say who has requested extension. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I've used only unfold so far, because I didn't know about the others and didn't feel like experiementing. Anyway, this works like a charm. Nice.

i am making a banner for my mod (usable as shield), the central part (the wooden handler)  textures well, but, when i try to make the flag part,  it can't be seen!... it continues grey.... very ssstraaange >_<. i'm frustrated by myself.

Back
Top Bottom