More damage to arrows

Users who are viewing this thread

Laaars

Recruit
Hi! I would like to see a mod where man goes down after one direct hit from an arrow unless very armoured. And to still make the game balanced the bows and crossbows should fire much slower. In real life a skilled archer can fire about twelve arrows a minute, While a crossbow fires two. Would it be hard just to increase the damage and reduce the speed of all ranged weapons, or are there already a mod that does this?

You can increase that in either the module system or in item_kinds1.txt, or using the item editor. You can also decrease bow/crossbow speed in any of those.

There is also Ron Losey's RCM mod that replaces the mod.ini file, the item_kinds1.txt file. It tries to make combat more realistic. All combat is much more deadly, and armor more necessary.

mfberg

You can change it. Download the MS (Module System). Here's the code.

Code:
 Change this..

module_items.py
["arrows","Arrows", [("arrow",0),("flying_missile",ixmesh_flying_ammo),("quiver", ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_arrows|itp_merchandise, itcf_carry_quiver_back, 72,weight(3)|abundance(160)|weapon_length(95)|thrust_damage(1,pierce)|max_ammo(30),imodbits_missile],

To this...

module_items.py
["arrows","Arrows", [("arrow",0),("flying_missile",ixmesh_flying_ammo),("quiver", ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_arrows|itp_merchandise, itcf_carry_quiver_back, 72,weight(3)|abundance(160)|weapon_length(95)|thrust_damage(30,cut)|max_ammo(30),imodbits_missile],
What I did was change the bonus damage amount a arrow gives dramatically. However, highly armored guys should not fall with 1 hit.
Change the thrust_damage(1,pierce) part to thrust_damage(30,cut) if you don't want the highly armored guys to fall with one hit.

one comment because when I tested giving ammo a damage bonus it didn't do anything.....  Now this was back in version 9.03 or so, but I think I gave khergit arrows +50 damage and it didn't make any difference at all in battle.  :???:  I'd be curious to see if this was fixed or somebody else can test this again....

HokieBT said:
one comment because when I tested giving ammo a damage bonus it didn't do anything.....  Now this was back in version 9.03 or so, but I think I gave khergit arrows +50 damage and it didn't make any difference at all in battle.  :???:  I'd be curious to see if this was fixed or somebody else can test this again....

pretty sure its fixed.

Great! thanks a lot for the help! But this will only make more damage for the arrows, right? Can you make them fire slower too?

Yes. For this, you need to edit the weapon itself, not the arrow.

Code:
module_items.py

Change this ....

["hunting_bow",         "Hunting Bow", [("hunting_bow",0),("hunting_bow_carry",ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_bow |itp_merchandise|itp_primary|itp_two_handed,itcf_shoot_bow|itcf_carry_bow_back, 17 , weight(1)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(100) | shoot_speed(48) | thrust_damage(15 ,  pierce),imodbits_bow ],

To this ....

["hunting_bow",         "Hunting Bow", [("hunting_bow",0),("hunting_bow_carry",ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_bow |itp_merchandise|itp_primary|itp_two_handed,itcf_shoot_bow|itcf_carry_bow_back, 17 , weight(1)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(100) | shoot_speed(150) | thrust_damage(15 ,  pierce),imodbits_bow ],

Change the shoot_speed(4:cool: to shoot_speed(150) (Or whatever you want), but if you make it faster than that the arrow might be so fast it'll clip through the enemy.

I have now downloaded the module system and changed the codes but I realize I need python too. Where can I find a suitable version of this?

www.python.org

Be sure to download Python 2.6 as other versions won't work.

Hi
i was wondering if some1 could give me some help I have just installed the Mount&Bade
and I am rly noob on how to edit files with python and so..
it would be very helpfull if some1 could give a step by step guide with all the requirements I need to have/download(like Python etc.)
so ill be able to modify also :smile:
ty

You resurrected a one year dead topic... for even that an unrelated post ? :shock:

(check Unofficial Tutorials / Unofficial Editing Tools subforums first)

Works like a charm...  :eek:

If you plan to improve arrow and bolt damage, then I recommend that you also decrease the firing speed (not the projectile speed!) of bows and crossbows by about 40%.

It makes the game so much better. You have aim your shots more carefully, but your ammo lasts longer, and skilled archers are deadly. The animations look better as well.

Yeah, and if you want to be god of archery, add 99 to speed rating,180 damage to both, bow and arrows and add 180 to shot speed, that is how you gonna get one shot breaks board shield or any, second kills anything in arrows way.

If you want a more realistic setup for ranged weaponry, change arrow damage to Cutting but leave crossbow damage on Piercing.

Cutting damage does not penetrate armor very well, so shooting at a well armored target is going to be very frustrating indeed.  There will, of course, need to be some extra tweaking if you want arrows to really be something close to a one hit KO on an unarmored target; if anyone had any links to some documentation or semantics on how Armor ratings work against the various damage types that'd be much appreciated.

If you wanna realistic stuff, yeah, I agree that you need to change bows and arrows to cutting type of damage, but I would rather leave war bow and long bow as it is. It would be great if some good scripter would like to create weapon bonuses. My idea is based on axes, as they have bonus against shields, but I dunno is it possible. . . so blunt should have bonus against plates, pierce against chainmails and cutting weapons against leather or against no armored body's.

I imagine the damage calculations are handled in the core, though, so we likely don't have access to that sort of semantic.  Which is a shame, I would like to see the net formula with all bonuses and penalties so I could balance things mathematically instead of relying on precedents all the time.

Back
Top Bottom