SotS : Intergalactic Space Lizards Ahoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Archonsod

An old salt from the mainland
Marquis
As part of the redesign / anniversary of Gamer's Gate, Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection will be 50% off all day Friday. So in order to encourage more of you buggers to buy it, I figured I'd finally post the play by play I've been threatening to do for the past year or so :razz:

To keep things reasonably quick and simple, I'm playing a 54 star Cluster galaxy as everyone's favourite lizard/ape hybrids the Tarka. To keep things interesting and complicated I'm sharing the galaxy with one AI of every other race - Humans, Hiver, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi. Random events et al are all left at the defaults.

So, in typical fashion things look a bit dodgy from the off -
sotsmoc-20090527-233156.png

As you can see in the wonderful 3D space map, I'm stuck at the arse end of the galaxy in a small cluster of four stars, one of which is our homeworld from which we will seek to restore the glory of the Tarka empire. On the one hand, being stuck out on the edge makes conquest a simple matter of rolling up the galaxy. On the other, there's a fair bit of distance between our little cluster and the rest of the galaxy, bridged by a single star. If I'm lucky, that star will be habitable or at least within a range likely to become habitable for the apelizards, otherwise things could become very tricky indeed. The Tarka take a leaf out of Star Trek's book when it comes to navigating the universe and make use of warp fields to achieve FTL travel. While this gives us completely free range of movement and usually means we get a bit of a head start against everyone else, when it comes to crossing large gaps only the Hivers are slower.
With little else to do, I commission three Extended Range destroyers (scouts basically). Given the unlikelihood of meeting anyone for a good while yet, I crank up research to 75% of my budget and set our scientists to focus on our biology research. Once complete this will unlock the Suspended Animation upgrade for coloniser sections, which will assist greatly in colonising whatever local planets happen to be worth grabbing.
For those who haven't seen the game before, digression on research under the spoiler:
SotS uses a rather interesting mechanic of having some techs guaranteed, some race specific and others randomly available depending on the race you're playing and the other techs on the tree. It's all presented in a swish 3D holochamber style interface:
sotsmoc-20090527-233206.png

Each of those boxes is a technology available for research. You can zoom in and click to see what the tech actually does:
sotsmoc-20090527-233221.png

See the blue lines? They're the links between technologies. They're a little more than the normal "you must research lasers to get bigger lasers" though. Several technologies may link to the same tech, and the same tech may link to many other technologies. Sometimes it is simple, with red lasers linking to the next advancement in the laser field, green lasers. However, red lasers may also 'skip' the green lasers and link directly to UV lasers, two steps higher up the same tree. This means I could skip directly to the UV laser, however researching the green lasers under it will speed up my research into the UV laser, and in AMoC green lasers usually link to the beamer version of the weapons (which sacrifice range for accuracy) which may make it worth researching. Oh, and this is what plays into the whole pseudo random tech tree thing. Each race has a % chance of having a given non-guaranteed link which is worked out at the beginning of the game, weighted additionally by certain racial tendencies. So in this game, Tarkasian living metal may or may not link me to Polysillicate Alloys (both hull upgrades), however I won't know until I research up to that point.
It probably all sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. In general, you can't go far wrong by lumping technologies into economic upgrades, ship upgrades and killing other ships upgrades. What it does do is make replays a little more interesting; see knowing the tech tree I now have to weigh up the benefits of leaping straight to say UV lasers for the tech edge, or gambling on getting that link from green lasers to beamers and pursuing that tree up to the beamer UV lasers.
So, skip forward a couple of turns and things go from bad to worse. My three ER destroyers are built and sent to discover what lies on the other stars in our little cluster. One of the things I love about this game is it's never a simple matter of sending ships off exploring a star and waiting for the results. Throughout the galaxy are strewn random encounters, from derelict alien vessels to ancient asteroid fortresses, and you never know what you'll find when you get out there. Luckily, my closest neighbours are clean, however only two planets prove to be colonisable, one tiny level 3 planet and a mediocre level 5. The rest are barren red orbs whose local conditions put them just outside my habitability range. Our scientists have already completed research into genetics and suspended animation, so I redesign my colony ship to take advantage of the suspended animation trait (again, digression on ship design under the spoiler) and send out two fleets consisting of five Mk II colonisers and a tanker to the two planets. In the meantime, I pull my scouts to the level five planet which is the furthest out for a refuel before pushing to the furthest star of the system.
Ship design is at once beautifully simple, and beautifully complex. Each ship (starbases, defence satellites and drones excluded) is split into three sections; command, mission and engine:
sotsmoc-20090527-233405.png

Each section has a number of choices depending on the ship and your tech level. If I had completed Waldo unit research for example, I would have the choice between a standard command section, or the slightly more expensive Hammerhead design which boosts turning speed and for most races provides an additional weapon slot. You choose the section type simply by a drop down menu as shown. Optional modifications to a section such as suspended animation or improved armour appear as checkboxes once the relevant section is chosen, should you have the pre-requisite research.
In the bottom left corner you can see the weapon layout. In this box, I can click a given weapon slot and the relevant guns on the larger model highlight, along with their firing arcs. On a small ship such as the destroyer, each weapon box generally corresponds to one weapon, however on a larger Cruiser or dreadnought a single box might be paired turrets covering either flank, or the top and bottom of the craft. Clicking a weapon slot brings up a choice of weapons to put in there, however since I've yet to research any new weapons I'm stuck with the basic red laser, mass driver or missile.
Note that the weapon box in the mid section is slightly larger. Weapon points have three sizes; small, medium and large. In this case, the centre is a medium slot. Weapons also have a corresponding size, here we can see a missile in the medium slot; it's too large to fit into a smaller slot. However, again it's not as simple as the bigger weapon is more powerful; if you put a smaller weapon into a larger slot you actually get multiple turrets of the smaller weapon. On this destroyer that missile launcher will fire a single missile; on a cruiser with a large weapon slot that same missile launcher will usually fire three or four missiles at the same time. Some weapons are so large, such as the siege driver or plasma projector, that they are a mission section in and of themselves.
Also of interest is that weapon slot configurations differ over the same sections depending on race. The Tarka tend to favour front facing weapon arcs, have a preference for medium slots and are roughly as keen as humans when it comes to number. The Hivers tend to pack more weapons onto their ships, the pacifistic Liir tend to have fewer slots while the bloodthirsty Zuul tend to sacrifice number in favour of size. Ship manoeuvrability, speed and resilience all differ according to race too; Hiver ships look and act like flying bricks, but can take one hell of a beating. Zuul ships tend to be paper thin, but are insanely fast and thanks to their mantra of "bigger is better" act a lot like flying cannons. Since the game models ballistics the graceful curves of the Liir ships are good at deflecting shots, particularly lasers. Tarka are eminently sensible, and match their largely forward pointing guns to some of the most heavily armoured command sections in the game, with average speed and manoeuvrability.
Colonising both planets takes a chunk of money; until terraformed to the ideal for my race each planet will cost income to support relative to just how far from my sweet spot it is. Worse luck strikes as we finally reach the outer planet of the cluster only to find it's a ridiculous 1150 rating - planets have a climate hazard rating which represents how far from your race's preferred conditions it is. Each race has a different tolerance for how high this can be and still be colonisable, and research can increase this to a degree, but this ball of rock is so far out of my league it's not even the same sport. Interestingly, although 0 is the sweet spot for each race, what that 0 is differs. What may be perfect for the Hivers would still be around 200 above zero for me, but the bright side is if another race can be persuaded to colonise it, they might terraform it down to something I can use. Oh, and if it's not apparent yet, the initial costs and colony maintenance depend entirely on the climate hazard rating. A 0 planet costs nothing to colonise or maintain, while a 300 planet would cost a small chunk to colonise and a fair whack of upkeep to boot.
On the bright side, still no sign of my fellow empires, or for that matter any hostile random encounters yet. I dispatch my exploration fleet off to the next cluster (it's that, or a very short game of me only having three planets). It takes thirteen turns for them to reach the nearest star in the neighbouring cluster, and on the way I direct my scientists to look into pulsed engines and recombinant fissionables, one increases engine speed slightly while the other increases range. I don't know if the AI has itself established in this cluster or not, but if I'm fast I might be able to grab a foothold before it becomes totally locked down.
Unfortunately, I'm not lucky. My first random of the game, and one unique to AMoC, the closest star is already inhabited by a splinter Hiver colony
sotsmoc-20090527-234444.png

Splinter colonies are new to AMoC. If I research up on the Hiver language tree I can start communicating and may eventually persuade the breakaway group to join my Empire. Or I could of course wipe the filthy insects from the planet and claim it for myself. However, with nothing but missiles to really damage the planet I risk sending it's relatively low climate hazard speeding up beyond my grasp.
They already have a ring of ten defence satellites, and a couple of ER destroyers and tankers are not likely to succeed attacking the planet. Thankfully we're able to avoid conflict even though we cannot understand the strange clicks coming over the comms. I'm forced to scuttle some of my fleet and split the remaining fuel between the tankers, I can then send five ships off to explore the rest of the cluster. With luck, I'll find a planet I can colonise and be able to establish myself here, however judging by how this game is going thus far I'm more likely to find myself neighbours with the Zuul.

Hmmm, still looks a bit meh. I like the tech aspect, but doesn't look particularly exciting IMO.

Haha, reading this just reminded me to go play the game again- and it is quite fun, Buxton. Better than Galactic Empires 2 in my opinion (though I hate that game with a passion, no idea why it does not click) but not as deep as Space Empires IV/V (With Mods) if you can grasp the game.

Here:  http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8117 is a link for video tutorials for the game if you want to get a free introduction to the game.

How does the AI cheat, Mage? I never noticed.

Will I will admit the game is a bit lacking in the diplomacy department. However, as of the latest patch the AI seems to be friendlier.

It doesn't usually gang up on you. In fact, if there's a Liir around it usually turns into a giant inter-species love in by turn ten :razz:

Anyway, the ineptitude of a space tyrannosaur episode 2: Codename Kingfisher

Expanding out into my neighbouring cluster does little to improve the situation. Again, two planets are habitable, a size 2 and a size 6 (in case you hadn't guessed by now, the bigger the planet, the better. Size not only determines maximum population levels, it also restricts how many orbital facilities and defence satellites the world can support). And yet another break away group, this time humans. Clearly we owe it to the galaxy to take over the administration of this cluster before it becomes a hive of renegades and anarchists!
sotsmoc-20090528-014029.png

Research wise I grab green lasers in the hope of getting beamers, but no luck. Tarkasian living steel and polysillicate alloys follow however, along with more population growth and industry upgrades. I tech up our missiles from plain old nukes to gamma warheads, and after a quick redesign to make use of our new fangled pulse engines I send out another two fleets to colonise the newly discovered worlds in the new cluster. It's a seventeen turn trip which is really quite ridiculous for a non-hiver species, so I take advantage of the current quiet period to tech up propulsion and go for Fusion power. Big mistake
sotsmoc-20090528-013733.png

Literally the turn after the second colonisation fleet leaves the orbit of the homeworld, these guys show up. And damn, I hate these bastards. Irritating enough in vanilla, with AMoC these things quickly become your worst nightmare. I'd rather a visit from Sparky than a Von Neuman attack now. This particular VN device is a simple probe designed to suck up resources. It generates smaller copies of itself which have a beam attack which not holds your ship in place while it disassembles it, then returns the resources to the mothership. All I have to defend the homeworld with are three obsolete destroyers packing direct fire rockets
sotsmoc-20090528-013753.png

Needless to say, it's not likely to go well. Actually, there's no such thing as going well with the VN's, in the highly unlikely event I manage to destroy the probe, the VN will respond by sending a beserker; a much more dangerous version of the probe which is more than capable of wiping out a system. Destroy that, and they'll escalate yet again. Bravely my three ships charge directly at the foe, taking out one probe and actually managing to damage the mothership before being reduced to their component atoms. Luckily, the probe seems satisfied with this small snack, and promptly departs leaving the homeworld untouched.
A lucky break in the science department sees Fusion power discovered almost the same instant the first colonists are defrosting from the pods on our two new worlds. Slightly worried about the VN threat, I direct my scientists to look into plasma cannons. Tarka are virtually guaranteed to get the full cannon tree, and once you can hit projectors a simple cruiser has the firepower to take on something like the VN probes without breaking a sweat. However, a report comes in from our new colonies about strange voices on the comms:
sotsmoc-20090528-012355.png

Another thing I love about SotS. Until you research at least the basic level of language for a species, it's chatter comes through as incomprehensible gibberish. What's more, it tends to follow the species you're talking to - clicks and similar for the insect Hivers and lots of eeks and ooks for those talking, tail-less apes. These fellows are the Morrigi, nomadic trading dragon types. Within a few turns I've mastered not only plasma cannons, but also the basic traits of their language. Shortly after we receive another transmission from an entirely new species, the enigmatic psychic dolphins known as the Liir.
Things aren't going too badly for once, both races seem happy to talk for the time being and my new colonies grow apace. However, the only defences they have at the moment are the leftover tankers from the journey over. My scientists figure out how to build cruiser size vessels at last, and since neither of my new friends are overtly threatening I decide to take a few turns to research the salvage and mining techs. Salvage vessels are like mobile space garages for the fleet, being capable of repairing your own ships between battles. More interestingly, having a salvage vessel or three in your fleet after defeating an enemy gives you a chance of discovering any technology they happen to be using which you don't have, assuming you have a pre-requisite. Oh, and another nice touch is that you need to research it as a special project which often has a cryptic name according to the tech and race (Dr Einstein's hot green gloop for example could hint at plasma cannons). Mining meanwhile brings me two benefits; firstly those colonies with asteroids in orbit will lose the asteroids and gain a significant amount of additional resources, boosting production. Secondly, I can now build mining ships which can suck up the resources from one planet and deposit them at another, finally making those uninhabitable planets useful.
Just when things look to be going swimmingly.... Having secured a non-aggression pact with the Morrigi, I was hoping the hippy like Liir would likewise be amenable to a friendly relationship. I was wrong. Encountering an uninhabited planet with a Liir scout in orbit I open hailing frequencies as normal, expecting the usual chit chat. The response is a salvo of hot nuclear death. This is pretty strange, as the Liir are usually the most pacifist of all races, however I suddenly find myself being savaged by an irate dolphin.
Luckily, the rather pathetic defences of my new colonies manage to hold off the first couple of forays from the Liir, admittedly mainly scouting parties. Before long I have both colonies up and running and quickly design some new cruisers to defend these footholds. The first, Stinger class, is packing almost pure DF rockets which are carrying the latest in fusion warhead payloads. The Dragon class cruiser on the other hand bristles with Plasma cannons from prow to stern. I build two of each on my new colonies foolishly expecting the Liir to stick to the odd scout. Unfortunately for me, my underling announces a significant armada on sensors. I see a Liir fleet heading for the larger of my new colonies. I click the icon expecting to see a small probing fleet and instead see seventy warships. Oh ****.

The Trouble With Tuna:

Yes, my cruisers can take a hell of a lot more punishment than the puny Liir ships, and I've no doubt they'll administer a mauling before they go down, however I'm seriously under-tech on the weapon side of things, and a mere four ships against seventy does not look good. What makes matters worse is I haven't researched anything beyond primitive CCC technology, so with the massive advantage in numbers enjoyed by the Liir I'm going to be lucky to be able to field more than one ship at a time.
With only two turns till they arrive I hastily commission another two Dragon class cruisers. I'm researching fusion cannons which should hopefully put me on a decent footing if I can survive. By the time they hit, I have a grand total of six ships ready to defend. I choose to command the battle myself and find a mere two cruisers ready to defend their world against the Liir onslaught.
One cruiser is a dragon class and one a stinger. I order both into pursuit mode, which is basically "charge the enemy and don't stop until one of you is dead". The SH fusion engines are superb in terms of speed, and both cruisers advance rapidly. Defending a planet is a fine art; engage too close and there is a good chance the planet will suffer damage from stray shots. Too far, and the missile defences of the planet may be unable to contribute to the battle, and they're some of the most potent missiles in the game.
Nothing on sensors for the first twenty seconds lulls me into a false sense of security. Then the distinctive hiss of missiles being launched is heard, and out in the distance I see a number of flashes as their engines ignite. The Liir is fielding around twenty ships, each of which seems to be loaded with missiles. I'm pretty much screwed; I don't have point defence technology yet, so all my cruisers have to defend themselves against the missiles are their two green laser turrets.
The Stinger class cruiser goes in first, charging straight through the centre of the Liir group. It's streams of rockets hit several destroyers, but the effect seems minimal. Meanwhile salvos of missiles combined with gauss cannon fire slam into the hull. As it turns and comes around for another pass I notice it's taken a heavy beating for virtually no losses
sotsmoc-20090528-014459.png

The Dragon fares little better. Plasma cannon, and indeed cannon weapons in general, kick out impressive damage. Several destroyers are annihilated by it's volleys, annihilating entire sections and leaving little but a lonely engine or cockpit spinning off into space. Even when it doesn't kill, every hit sees the tell tale explosion of a section being destroyed. Here however the nature of the Tarka betrays us; plasma weapons are not hugely accurate, and Tarka gunners tend to go for quantity over quality. While each pass is seeing two or three Liir ships disintegrate, far more shots sail harmlessly out into space than find a mark. In addition, the missiles fired by the Liir impact on the lighter armoured mission section of the cruisers, and before long the Stinger class breaks apart. The Dragon is quick to follow, and although two more reach orbit from the planet surface they make little impact before the Liir withdraw for resupply.
I'm not too happy with the result. I'm down two cruisers for the loss of only twelve Liir destroyers. To make matters worse, the Liir have inbound reinforcements. Performance wise my ships simply won't cut it; the Stinger class while reasonably accurate makes little impression on the Liir vessels, while the Dragon class ships can deliver a killing blow their guns are simply too inaccurate to count. I quickly design a missile ship of my own and commission a further two from the besieged planet. I take a risk and dispatch the defenders of my other colony to join the battle too.
Unfortunately, despite having eight cruisers now operating in defence the Liir numbers have swollen to over 100. Though my navy does it's best, it isn't long before I'm down to my last two Dragon cruisers. Against the seemingly unstoppable tide of the Liir they fight valiantly, but in the end both fall before the missile onslaught. The fate of the colony is soon sealed
sotsmoc-20090528-015204.png

Clearly a radical rethink is needed if I want to reclaim the colony. The Liir forces appear to be coming from a world out on the edge of this cluster, which may be their homeworld or may simply be a forward colony. Unfortunately, the tech tree isn't playing ball and it would take me a good fifteen turns or so to research heavy plasma, turns I simply don't have. However, I researched mass drivers during the siege, and to my delight it looks like I've got the entire ballistics tree to play with.
Mass drivers are basically cannons which hurl large lumps of metal at other ships. Although not quite so impressive against armoured ships, they have the useful side effect of imparting their momentum to the target. This is particularly handy when fielding larger vessels, since a hit from a mass driver will literally send a destroyer spinning out of control. When they're bunched up in a tight mass this can often result in them colliding with their squadron, bagging two birds with one stone in a most literal sense. The main drawback however is they're even less accurate than energy cannons. I do have the means to remedy this; the predictive gunnery tech provides the fire control command section which boosts the accuracy of the ship by a significant amount, however this comes at the price of weapon slots. Nonetheless it will take me a mere two turns to research, so I decide to try the ballistics route. While I'm preparing for the attack, I also research stormers; the machine gun version of the smaller mass drivers. In a most amusing coincidence, the same turn I discover stormers I receive a message from the Morrigi stating now that I am civilised, they would like to offer me an alliance ! Needless to say I accept, and find they own the next cluster over almost entirely.
Bursters are my next target; mass drivers which fire a cluster bomb that explodes after a certain distance, spreading shrapnel across a wide area. It's ideal against multiple smaller ships, and even larger ships will take a hammering if you get close enough to have it hit before it explodes. In the meantime however Tarka engineers have a new design, the Bludgeon:
sotsmoc-20090528-015750.png

It takes a mere two turns to produce five of these babies at what is now our sole outpost in the cluster. I dispatch them to our former colony in the hopes of catching the Liir still waiting. I'm not disappointed, and as a bonus my ally already has a ship there which joins battle on my side.
sotsmoc-20090528-020106.png

The new cruiser is amazing. Again, two of them deploy to battle (must remember to research C&C tech ASAP). Heading straight into the thick of the Liir swarm the Bludgeon class proves to be deadly accurate. The stormers make short work of the destroyers, often annihilating them in a single burst. The mass drivers likewise send the destroyers flying when they don't kill outright, and the tightly bunched up Liir ships see several collisions, usually resulting in the death of both ships. Before long, I'm crushing the Liir almost as quickly as their reinforcements arrive.
I manage to get a bead on the Liir command ship and take it out, my Tarka captain so incensed at the death of our colony he forgets to actually shoot and simply rams straight through the Liir vessel. With the command ship gone, Liir reinforcements begin to arrive haphazardly, mixing support ships such as tankers with their warships. They try to run, however it looks like they're still on basic fission engines and their speed is no match for the Tarka ships. Even better, tankers and similar fuel rich ships unleash a mighty explosion when killed, and before long I'm deliberately targeting the tankers, each huge detonation triggering the destruction of nearby ships in a spectacular light show. As the combat timer ticks into the final few seconds I catch up and kill the last Liir ship. Vengeance is mine.

Wait till the second Liir fleet arrives, with 200 destroyers. The AI builds insanely large fleets, and it seems to have an inexhaustible supply :sad:.

Wow, I'm liking this. Definitely need to look into this.

The things you said about ships being knocked out of control and colliding and whatnot, was that just for AAR flavor or is that actually a part of the game? If it is a part of the game, I need to buy this. I love games like that.

It's part of the game. Mass drivers deliver a kick equivalent to their size and speed to the target. When you have a large ship firing the bigger versions at a smaller ship like a destroyer you can send it spinning halfway across the battlefield. Conversely, a destroyer gauss gunning a dread is like firing a pea shooter at an iceberg. AMoC makes it even more fun by including a missile purely for knocking ships around. If a ship collides with another ship, planet, asteroid or similar it takes and causes damage according to momentum and size. Nothing better than hitting a ship with a mass driver and seeing it smash straight into another. Almost as much fun as pointing a dreadnought at a squadron of destroyers and giving it the order to go full ahead, with no stopping :lol:

Archonsod said:
It's part of the game. Mass drivers deliver a kick equivalent to their size and speed to the target. When you have a large ship firing the bigger versions at a smaller ship like a destroyer you can send it spinning halfway across the battlefield. Conversely, a destroyer gauss gunning a dread is like firing a pea shooter at an iceberg. AMoC makes it even more fun by including a missile purely for knocking ships around. If a ship collides with another ship, planet, asteroid or similar it takes and causes damage according to momentum and size. Nothing better than hitting a ship with a mass driver and seeing it smash straight into another. Almost as much fun as pointing a dreadnought at a squadron of destroyers and giving it the order to go full ahead, with no stopping :lol:

.... Strike?

What I love about SotS is that its primary focus is on battles between space ships- it is almost like M2TW or the TW series in general, although SotS- as of A Murder of Crows (the newest expansion)- manages to hold me longer than M2TW normally does due to the adequate other aspects of the game (SotS, not M2TW) like the economy and diplomacy systems, which have received boosts!

The next expansion due in June/July, not really sure, is to focus on ship building, I think. Oodles of creative space death will abound within a month or two!

*Sings more praises*

You have perked my interest. So, how's the AI and diplomacy? Does it feature trade? Wiki didn't mention anything other than combat, ships and races. Oh, and are all ships coloured? I'd prefer not to have red ships flying around, hurts immersion for me. How tactical are the battles?

Back
Top Bottom