Author Topic: Vocal commands with "Shoot" [speech recognition]  (Read 17699 times)

azrael_valedhel

• Regular
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
Vocal commands with "Shoot" [speech recognition]
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:50:35 AM »
I searched the forum and I believe there is no mention of voice/speech recognition here, and actually I felt that it's one of those very few things M&B lacks.
But it's not all lost, we can use Shoot application (http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/downloads.php) - free for non-commercial use - to translate voice commands into keystrokes. It's easy enough to command an army in M&B on the battlefield, so why would we need voice commands? Because actually, it's pretty neat to say "Cavalry, crush them!" and see how your soldiers react :]
Required software is linked on the Shoot download site. It's pretty easy to make a new profile or edit existing - cause it is just a xml file ;) Here's my Mount & Blade profile I use at the moment, if anybody wants to contribute and add some more aliases/commands - please do so and post it here for us all. :]

(click to show/hide)

Ofcourse it isn't perfect, since there are some orders that are toggled - like "Dismount/Mount horses" - you can say "On your horses" for the first time and your horsemen will dismount, and then say "Off your horses" and they will mount their horses. Just because both commands will issue F4 keystroke ;) But even with that kind of things I still think it adds a tremendous dose of immersion into the battle. How do you think?

[It's not actually a mod, but I think it's a good place for this topic, since  it is a nice and new feature that adds another layer of immersion into the game.]
Moderators: if you see any better fitting place for this topic, feel free to take it there :)

Oh, the usage:
Run Shoot and open the profile [File->Open...] - then run M&B (or the other way around if you like, which could work better if you have any problems with audio drivers).
My profile is configured to be push-to-talk, so Shoot will only "listen" for the commands when I press and hold my LeftControl key. You can change this behaviour (or the key needed to press) in the file.

edit:
Okay, I just thought not everybody knows what does it mean "it's just an xml file" - it means the profile is just a plain text file with .xml extension. It looks a bit like html file, nothing scary at all. You can open it with any text editor out there.
To create a new profile just copy the spoiler text and save it into whatever_the_name.xml (preferably to the Shoots "profiles" directory) and that's it, now you can open the file through the File->Open menu in the application. :)

edit:
What to do to make it work?
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:23:09 AM by azrael_valedhel »

MrRoy

• Language Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • M&B
Re: Voice commands with "Shoot" [speech recognition]
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 02:56:52 AM »
:shock: this is epic!

Good job finding/doing this!

Wu-long

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: Wulong
  • WBWF&SNW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:26:43 AM »
Great ;p but some mods already have this owell ;p the more the merrier

azrael_valedhel

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 03:31:41 AM »
Thank you MrRoy. I sure enjoy that as I am playing, but it's also important to have some decent microphone/headset and train the sapi profile (control panel->Speech->Train profile) so it would have better "hit and miss" ratio.
I also see a potential to a bit tactics in this - lets say you add a command: "Prepare a defence position" - it would send: "Everybody, Hold your ground", "Archers, Advance, Advance", "Infrantry, Advance", "Cavalry, Fall back" - resulting in having a cavalry at the back, 20 paces in front of them there would be a line of infrantry and 10 paces further - archers. You let your archers shoot until you see that the enemy is up close, then you say: "First line, get to cover" or some other "defence phaze two" thingie - triggering "Infrantry, Advance", "Archers, Fall back" - then wait untill the enemy gets to fight the footmen - and order your cavalry to attack.
Sure, you can do all of this now - or with the basic vocal orders with Shoot - but I'm just saying, you can try to immerse even more with those "prepared actions" :)

@Wu-long: Can you give any examples of mods featuring speech recognition? I would gladly take a look at them :]

Wu-long

• View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: Wulong
  • WBWF&SNW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 03:56:21 AM »
Thank you MrRoy. I sure enjoy that as I am playing, but it's also important to have some decent microphone/headset and train the sapi profile (control panel->Speech->Train profile) so it would have better "hit and miss" ratio.
I also see a potential to a bit tactics in this - lets say you add a command: "Prepare a defence position" - it would send: "Everybody, Hold your ground", "Archers, Advance, Advance", "Infrantry, Advance", "Cavalry, Fall back" - resulting in having a cavalry at the back, 20 paces in front of them there would be a line of infrantry and 10 paces further - archers. You let your archers shoot until you see that the enemy is up close, then you say: "First line, get to cover" or some other "defence phaze two" thingie - triggering "Infrantry, Advance", "Archers, Fall back" - then wait untill the enemy gets to fight the footmen - and order your cavalry to attack.
Sure, you can do all of this now - or with the basic vocal orders with Shoot - but I'm just saying, you can try to immerse even more with those "prepared actions" :)

@Wu-long: Can you give any examples of mods featuring speech recognition? I would gladly take a look at them :]

You mind making a tutorial on how to use this? Can we change the voice btw?

I cant find the mod but here is the its possible link
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,58796.0.html

azrael_valedhel

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 04:19:51 AM »
@Wu-long:
I think you misunderstood the whole concept. Quoting from the linked topic:
voice orders = if you press a button (for example 3 (for archers) there is a sound played: "archers ready"
- what this topic is about however - is... YOU SAY "Archers, hear me" and then the keystroke "3" is sent, so the game thinks you pressed "3" on the keyboard.
Shoot uses SAPI - windows speech recognition piece of software to "understand" what you are saying and then send some keystrokes to the game.

What to do to make it work? ---> See the bottom spoiler in the first post.

I will also copy that to the first post.

So you see you can easily create a profile and "voice enable" a game of your liking as long as it's about the keystrokes ;) Just don't try to do it for Silent Hunter 3 or 4 - there are SH3Speech and SH4Speech mods for this sole purpose that can do much much more than Shoot (for example send clicks - operate with games ui by taking control of the mouse pointer ;) )

I hope that I have put some light on this now. I also changed the topic name to "Vocal commands..." - so less people would make the mistake of Wu-long.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:21:37 AM by azrael_valedhel »

Kleidophoros

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: CoR_Kleid_of_Veluca
  • M&BWB
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:33:06 AM »
Man, first, playing the goddamn game all the time and now this; my wife is gonna kill me for sure!

azrael_valedhel

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:40:59 AM »
Man, first, playing the goddamn game all the time and now this; my wife is gonna kill me for sure!

Try to keep it quiet at night or you're gonna wake up the kid ;P

Kleidophoros

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
Re: Vocal commands with "Shoot" [speech recognition]
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 04:45:56 AM »

Try to keep it quiet at night or you're gonna wake up the kid ;P
There will be no kid if i dont keep it quiet!

Dude, i get this when tryin to open them xml files, any of'em. And microphone wizard aint workin' either; my mic is fine though.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:04:38 AM by Cleidophoros »

azrael_valedhel

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 05:11:41 AM »
Try to install .NET 1.1 - url on the bottom of the first post, or in the 6th post (1b. ;) )
It would show that Shoot works with .NET 1.1 - and works with .NET 2.0 IF you also have 1.1

Kleidophoros

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 05:19:46 AM »
I have
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0
installed.
Do i need to downgrade here?

HardCode

• Return of Rosario Dawson
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 05:22:07 AM »
No downgrade required. Just install .NET 1.1. A .NET application uses the version of the Framework that it was compiled for. You can have all versions of the Framework installed at once.
"You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can ban all of the people all of the time too" - Archonsod

Kleidophoros

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:22:59 AM »
No downgrade required. Just install .NET 1.1. A .NET application uses the version of the Framework that it was compiled for. You can have all versions of the Framework installed at once.
Thanks mate.

If you have any .NET version greater than 1.1 you will need this fix it seems.
http://www.gameclubcentral.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=3945.

So yeah it does work now.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:32:21 AM by Cleidophoros »

azrael_valedhel

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 05:36:26 AM »
Thanks mate.

If you have any .NET version greater than 1.1 you will need this fix it seems.
http://www.gameclubcentral.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=3945.

So yeah it does work now.
Actually I think you won't need it, somewhere else they say that the newest release works well with .NET 2.0 (if you have 1.1 too it seems) - and I didn't get to that fix :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:46:26 AM by azrael_valedhel »

Kleidophoros

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »
But it worked only after i got the fix.
Anyways it does work now but only command it recognizes is Everyone hear me. gotta train more i guess :)