A few starting out questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi all,

I just signed up after buying the game. Now i do have a few questions about playing the game.

1. I just signed up for a faction as a mercenary. Do i have to be loyal to the nobel i signed up to or just helping the entire faction?
2. How can i become a noble exactly? Is that with asking that question to the king?
3. I just had a quest to find some guy in a certain village. Now when ever i go to the village, i can't find them. And the villagers are everything except helpfull. How can i complete this quest easily? Or what am i missing? Since it's a quest for "my king" i rather not screw this up hehe.
4. Is there an easy way to deploy men in a certain formation? Now it's a disaster to get my bowmen in a good position while not getting their asses kicked.

Thanks in advance!

1)  Your choice.  Helping the faction at large will increase your relation with the other lords and the faction itself.
2)  Once you reach a high enough renown and you're not already in the service of a lord, you will periodically get offers from the kings of the land.  I'm not sure what the rules are for being a merc and being granted lorship but I'm sure someone else will pipe in.
3)  The quest guy is around, he'll be the second guy in the village not moving.  They seem to like to hide on the outskirts of town.
4)  I'll let someone else field this one.

Thanks man!

That surely cleared something up! So i guess i have to search the outskirts then. I thought he was really in town.
One other quick question, i can only get a city/castle when being a vassel right?

1. As a merc you cannot have fiefs(that is, own a village, castle or town, even if you capture a castle or town by yourself - it will be given to one of the lords); but you get paid every week depending on the number and quality of soldiers you have. And you serve the king, not the lord who hired you, so you have to go to the king every week to receive your payment. Your contract is for three months, you can renew it, revoke it after the three months are up, or ask your king to become a vassal.

2. What I do is go around fighting whomever I want, and by the time I have a company strong enough to actually participate in faction warfare, I have enough renown to have a king asking me to join him. It`s going to be mostly a king on whose territory you have been fighting most of the time. Which means that if, for example, you keep exterminating the hordes of steppe bandits in the Khergit Khanate, then Sanjar Khan is sure to ask you to become his vassal at some point.

3. You have to search the outskirts of the village during daytime. The person you`re looking for is the only one not moving in the village except the elder, and the only person in the whole village who is armed. That person is called Nervous Man when you mouse over him. But I do not suggest that you take up such quests - killing him will deteriorate your relations with the village. And you want to have good relations with the villages of your kingdom if you want soldiers. One little known trick is that when you have good enough relations with a village, when you recruit from it you will sometimes get trained troops instead of recruits :grin: Definitely worth it!

4.Unfortunately, formations are not available in Native. However, that doesn`t stop me from obliterating the fierce Nords who everybody thinks they`re so cool with my archers :twisted:
So here`s my advice:
don`t use Nord archers. They suck. Everyone will agree on that. It`s supposed to balance the fact that Nord infantry is (allegedly) so powerful.
if you prefer crossbowmen, Rhodok ones are better.

I personally use Vaegir archers - they have a preference for two-handed axes, which is definitely useful in close combat.

What I do with my archers is that I use skirmishing tactics:
First thing, I always fight on terrain favorable to them - that is, always have a line of sight at a long distance to the enemy. That allows them to shoot for as long as possible before the enemy infantry reaches them. If there is any high ground to put them on top, all the better.

Next, I order them to spread out. Thus they form a skirmishing line, which has several purposes. One is that a loose formation suffers less casualties from other missile troops(as they are harder to hit). Next is that they cover more ground this way, thus they often have a line of sight to the flanks of shield walls, which allows them to simply give hell even to shieldmen; additionally, as they are more spread out, the A.I. spreads its own troops out too when charging. This way enemy soldiers are uncovered to arrows on pretty much all sides and fight by themselves in melee, which makes them easy targets for everyone around.

Once I`ve picked an appropriate position, I have my archers hold it and wait for the enemy. Once the latter shows up, they start getting pelted with arrows(I like to call that the `rain of arrows`, even my banner as a lord of the Vaegirs is specially picked to reflect that :grin:) all the time till they reach your line. When they`re close to my line(15 to 20 feet) I order my archers to fall back several times(F7, press it several times quickly to have them fall back a good distance, as the order is `Fall back ten paces`), for which to be possible I`ve advanced at a good distance from the edge of the map at the beginning of the battle. This has the purpose of them not being reached by the enemy infantry and to keep shooting. Additionally, infantry that attacks this skirmishing line is in great danger - I`ve seen numerous times Nord shieldmen who, at the very moment they lower their shield and raise their weapons to attack one of my archers, receive at least three arrows from three different directions, often the back, and often in the head. At such small distances it`s hard to miss :twisted:

Now, there is one detail that makes a very serious difference in that kind of tactical approach - me. I myself am an archer(so I contribute to the rain of arrows), but also am a good fighter. In very light armor I`m very mobile(have also high Athletics), so when the enemy closes in and I order my archers to fall back, I pull out my sidearm and go the other way. Basically, enemy soldiers are put in a dilemma - they either have to face me, and turn their backs to the archers(absolutely not a good idea! :twisted:) or attack my archers and risk receiving the business end of my great sword in their backs. In any case they`re doomed. Additionally, the more people are chasing me while I dance around, the less are trying to butcher my archers in melee(thus the more of my archers can shoot with impunity) and the more have their backs turned to the archers. But I`ve gotten good at dancing with a blade. So often I`m being chased by over a dozen of people, but that`s not really a problem for me, since those folks(at least the ones that I don`t kill first) are wiped out by the archers.

Now, there are some very important things about an archer company on the world map. First of all, it needs to be able to move quickly(as it`s a foot company). For that you need a companion dedicated to scouting, with high path-finding and spotting skills. This way you move faster and see your enemies from a greater distance, thus being able to pick your fights. And you definitely need to be able to pick your fights with an archer company. I suggest to never fight in very hilly and forested terrain(Senuzgda pass in Swadia is to be usually avoided unless you scare off the forest bandits or have better archers than them). Archers need their line of sight and great distance. So if you fight somebody and the terrain of the combat map is unfavorable, simply quit the battle and then charge again, and repeat until you have good terrain. Although you can only do that if your enemy doesn`t outnumber you - if they do, you lose people every time you withdraw. This is where path-finding and spotting come into play, as they allow you to pick your fights. And always attack a foe who has the same number of troops or less than you, and the same quality of troops or less than you. Do not attack companies that contain Swadian or Vaegir cavalry in significant number - they`re the bane of missile troops.

I hope this is helpful, anything else you will learn from your own experience. Me, I had to learn all of this the hard way :wink:

Twisted said:
1. I just signed up for a faction as a mercenary. Do i have to be loyal to the noble I signed up to or just helping the entire faction?
You are a mercenary for the entire faction, your standing with individual nobles is not affected by your status as mercenary. For example friendly nobles of enemy factions will still attack you (because of faction standing) but you can convince them not to attack (because of personal standing).

Twisted said:
2. How can i become a noble exactly? Is that with asking that question to the king?
While you are a mercenary you won't get offers for becoming a noble but as soon as you get enough reknown (150+) you can ask your king to swear fealty - after becoming a noble you stop being a mercenary.

Twisted said:
3. I just had a quest to find some guy in a certain village. Now when ever i go to the village, i can't find them. And the villagers are everything except helpful. How can i complete this quest easily? Or what am i missing? Since it's a quest for "my king" i rather not screw this up hehe.
These murderers are usually hiding behind buildings but the position for each village is different. He is called "nervous man" or so and he is armed with a sword and he won't wander around. I have found murderers outside the village by a mill on a hill, hiding behind a house and standing far off at the rim of the map (I guess that is an error). I would suggest you ride around the village and look for people there.

Twisted said:
4. Is there an easy way to deploy men in a certain formation? Now it's a disaster to get my bowmen in a good position while not getting their asses kicked.
The only formation (outside of some mods) is the line. When I want to position my troops somewhere I usually order them all to follow me and ride to the place they have to defend and order them to stay there (F1 - hold). They will hold in a line and (usually) face the enemy.
Actually the easiest way is to click with your mouse on the position they have to hold on the mini map but you don't see the terrain there.

I sometimes combine these, example:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Order 4 - cavalry only
I click on a far position so they later can execute an attack at the enemies flank
[*]Order 5 - infantry and archers (not last selected)
Order F2 - follow me
[*]Now I ride to the intended position, usually the flank of a hill
[*]Order F1 - hold position
Infantry and archers hold in a line
[*]Order 2 - infantry only
Order F6 - advance 10 steps
Infantry advances, by default archers move together
[*]Depending on the positioning and relative numbers I order infantry and/or archers to spread out or stand closer together
- archers higher on the hill -> infantry front as wide as the archers front, the archers can shoot over the infantry
- archers same height -> infantry spread out, the archers can shoot through the gaps. When the enemy nears the infantry close up
[*]Cavalry variation 1: I lead them behind the enemy and attack
Cavalry variation 2: They engage the enemy infantry while my infantry and archers engage the enemy cavalry
Cavalry variation 3: When the enemy engages my infantry I order them to attack
[/list]

I hope that helps, I didn't read Ludial's post.

Oh, another thing - it`s a good idea to have tracking too. Even if you don`t go around chasing warbands and needing tracks for that, having tracking at at least level 2 will simply allow you to see what kind of warbands are in your vicinity, as that`s indicated by the size of the arrows representing the tracks(size of the army) and their color(age of the tracks). It`s almost like a guess-radar for things outside of your spotting range on the world map :grin:

Ludial said:
I hope this is helpful, anything else you will learn from your own experience. Me, I had to learn all of this the hard way :wink:
I always thought that is part of fun :mrgreen:
Just a note on tracking: Like any party skill it is enough that one of your heroes has that skill (and is conscious)

Berpol said:
Ludial said:
I always thought that is part of fun :mrgreen:
Just a note on tracking: Like any party skill it is enough that one of your heroes has that skill (and is conscious)
and that`s Deshavi - she joins you for free, comes as an archer already, starts with the highest scouting skills of all scout companions, and has no problem with looting villages :grin:

Both of you, thanks very much! Youre both post have been very helpfull to understand the game a bit better.
Now as you said, most off it you have to learn on your self. But it doesn't hurt to get some advice from some more expierenced players.

As the game is very different then most other "rpg's" it's quite hard to figure out as most games are limited in their posibilities. I must say i rather would have seen a "Total War" battle deployment, but since there isn't i'm gonna try out both tactics and see which one works for me. As you both answerd all of my questions completly i have only 1 questions remaining.

I'm playing as a frontline commander, so which weaon type would suite me the best? I mean a lance is nice, but it just doesn't seem to do reall damage, most off the times the calvary unit behind me get's the kill while i only wound opponent's on the first strike. The 2handed axe is great but does seem to lack a bit off power. And the sword is a bit to short. Any ideas? For my type of play what would suite me the best?

Edit: Devashi, i found her on my journey by accident, she seems great this far. How ever, i aswell have a guy named Roy from the house off Roy or like wise. Both off them are picking fight's constanly, Now Roy is a front men guy he seems to chop down enemies at a large scale. Any idea how i can keep both off them satisfied?

I personally use the great sword. It`s a two-handed sword that looks like a sword of war. The sword of war is the longest sword in the game(has the same reach as a regular spear), and its little brother is almost as long, and is the next longest sword in the game. Beware, though - there`s another type of great sword which is much slower and is shorter, be sure not to pick it. Also, I use a balanced great sword. It`s the fastest 2h weapon after the balanced bastard sword, but the bastard sword is only slightly longer than a 1h sword.

The name of the guy is Rolf, and he`s no noble. Deshavi picks fights with him because she recognizes him as a bandit, and she hates bandits. I suggest you get rid of Rolf, as Deshavi is invaluable as a scout and archer, and there are many melee companions who are ok with her. I personally go for Deshavi(scout), Jeremus(medic) and Bunduk(trainer, tactician, engineer). Of course, in my company everybody shoots and fights with a long sword, even Jeremus and Ymira :wink:

Thanks for the fast reply. And then i'll ditch him since an other compagnion just started to nag about him. And i had heard about his "background" but since he fought well on my side i didn't really botherd. Where can i find those other 2 characteurs that you mentioned?

My only fear about the weapons that you mentioned is that i probally can't afford it when i do find it. But i'm sure to keep an eye out on the sword and try it out!

Once again, thanks!

a regular bastard sword is a good twohander for starting out(that`s the bastard sword with the red/pinkish hilt; the one with the black hilt, the heavy bastard sword is slower). It costs only about 600 denars. A balanced bastard sword is about 2000, and I don`t remember about the great sword, but its balanced version is probably in the same price range.

You can`t find companions at fixed places. You have to go around and look for them. what I did with my current archer company, was, already knowing that it would be best to have these three particular companions, I went around Calradia till I found them and only then started recruiting soldiers. But since you already have a company, simply dump Rolf immediately and find somebody else while you look for Bunduk and Jeremus(Bunduk is the only companion who starts with a crossbow and Jeremus looks like a monk with a staff).

When you have Deshavi, you mustn`t have Rolf and Borcha; when you have Jeremus, you mustn`t have Artimenner; when you have Bunduk, you mustn`t have Lezalit and Alayen.

I just saw the balanced great sword in the market - about 2740 denars. I strongly suggest you simply start out with the bastard sword to get the feel of the 2h swords and learn how to use them.

The funny part is i came to the conclusion that i already have Bunduk aswell. Also i have Alayen. So i'll dump his ass aswell :smile:.
I've bought the 2handed sword aswell. And it's a bit similiar to the 2handed battle axe, all though that has the bonus off breaking shields easier. But thanks again for your fast reply and feedback!

Twisted said:
The funny part is i came to the conclusion that i already have Bunduk aswell. Also i have Alayen. So i'll dump his ass aswell :smile:.
I've bought the 2handed sword aswell. And it's a bit similiar to the 2handed battle axe, all though that has the bonus off breaking shields easier. But thanks again for your fast reply and feedback!
I`m not sure, but I think Bunduk would pick fights with Alayen because Alayen is a noble and Bunduk hates them.

If you`re using the weapon called `two-handed sword`, dump it. It`s short and very slow. Bastard sword is better than that; you need a weapon with speed rating at or above 98 if you`re going to try and dance. If you don`t care about speed rating that much, either pick a sword of war(longest sword in game) or battle axe(as fast and as long as a `two-handed sword`, but much heavier and much more powerful)

Twisted said:
I'm playing as a frontline commander, so which weaon type would suite me the best? I mean a lance is nice, but it just doesn't seem to do reall damage, most off the times the calvary unit behind me get's the kill while i only wound opponent's on the first strike. The 2handed axe is great but does seem to lack a bit off power. And the sword is a bit to short. Any ideas? For my type of play what would suite me the best?
Which weapons you use is largely a matter of taste with a few caveats:
- blunt and pierce damage do better against heavy armors
- couched lance damage is typically very high (one shot territory even with a poor weapon and low skill vs. most units)
- nothing kills wall defenders like an arrow in the brainpain

If you fight a lot of heavily armored guys, I recommend a balanced military pick or a morningstar of some type.  They get short shrift, but if you're not dumping 5+ points into power strike, they make a big difference and you can use a shield with them.  Once you get past 5 power strike or so, for Native at least, it stops mattering what kind of weapon you have because your base damage is so high.  I don't want to annoy or slightly inconvenience my foes--I want them dead and I don't want to swing twice :mrgreen:  As always, YMMV. 

Also, if you're into spoilers, see below.
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount&Blade has lots of good information.

Thanks both again.

Bunduk and Alayan did have a few figths together now. But not as much as Rolf and that Deshavi. So i'll gonna see if it continues.
And i believe aswell that it was a nobility thing. As for the weapontypes, thanks for clearing that up. I'll try and search those weaponsand be sure to try them all out.

Just an other question... I've once seen somewhere within the game that i can try to recruit my prisoners. For some reason i can't find it anymore. Where exactly can i find it?

Twisted said:
Just an other question... I've once seen somewhere within the game that i can try to recruit my prisoners. For some reason i can't find it anymore. Where exactly can i find it?
It's in the camp menu, after you do it you have to wait 24 hours for your next try. Your chance depends on your persuasion skill.

Thanks! I do however have an other question. I'm a vassel now and i've conqeured both a castle and a city, but both times my king decedid to give it to someone else (which wasen't even in the battle!).
Does this mean i've got to few renown to receive it, or am i being screwed? And should i seek to a more generous king?

Back
Top Bottom