The Picts

c01b.gif
c01c.gif
c01b.gif
c01c.gif
c01b.gif
c01c.gif
c01b.gif

After long time of silence, I decided to back to work. I contacted Agraes, the maker of Arthurian Total War mod for Rome: Total War, who is now my historical advisor. Spongly helped me with some historical aspects. Also great thanks for Ranika, who contributed a lot of historical informations. He has got acces to rare and hardly available for us documents and books. I decided to change mod's period. Now it's year 481 A.D. What was the reason? Well after Roman armies withdraw from Britain, practically we don't know anything, what happened with remaining inhabitants of island. There are few really short informations about this period, but they are very comprehensive. Archeological excavations are our main source of informations, though, they are not frequent. Former factions were simply a great unknown or historical inaccuracies. I involved terrain of northern Britain, Scotland and north-east part of Ireland. Present factions are following (sorted by cultures):

Picts

- Kingdom of Picts. There was more or less one Pictland in 481, ruled by Drust Guorthinmoc. Parts of it were indepedent, specifically the Hebrides and Orkney, but much of it was under one king's control.

Gaels

- Dal Riada. In the beginning it was Gaelic Scotti and Attacotti colony, but later it changed into an independent kingdom.

Britons

- Gododdin. One of north Briton kingdoms.
- Rheged. Another Briton kingdom. The most famous ruler was Urien of Rheged (living in late VI century). His power and his victories, including Gwen Ystrad and Alt Clut Ford, are celebrated in the Book of Taliesin, the supposed author of which served as his bard.
- Strathclyde. Briton kingdom located on the western shores of southern Scotland.

As you see, the factions are based on Arthurian Total War mod, with help of: Agraes, Spongly and Ranika. Now, let me show you... a preview of Picts!

c06d.gif
c04c.gif
c06d.gif

History of this faction is below. I putted it into spoiler, because it's quite big.

The creation of the Picts is largely conjecture. It is simply unknown the full story of how the Picts came to be, though when and why does occur. When the Romans conquered and annexed portions of Britain, many British nobles took their armies, their families, and their loyal retainers, who did likewise, and fled north, into the isolated lands of Caledonia. Some settled in the south, but many went further, ultimately settling in the distant highlands, seemingly without much contestation from the local Caledonian tribes. The Irish record vague dealings with the early Picts, include helping them establish a confederated authority, but the validity of such claims is spotty; all the same, it did not stop such claims even as late as the renaissance. In any event, the Picti came about, and were divided into seven kingdoms that ruled much of what is now Scotland.

According to Pictish legend, there was once a king named Cruithne, son of Cing. Cruithne reigned for one hundred years, and had seven sons, who were named Fibb, Fidach, Fotla, Fortriu, Cat, Ce and Circind. When Cruithne died, his kingdom was split into seven regions, each one given to one of his sons. This is clearly affected by the Gaels; Cruithne is itself a Gaelic word for 'Picts', and is what they referred to both the pre-Gaelic inhabitants of Ireland and Scotland as. However, the seven kingdoms did exist, and were recognized as the seven ruling principalities of the Picts by both themselves and their nieghbors.

Of paramount importance in this series of events, though, are the kingdoms of Cat, or Caithness, and Fibb. These two kingdoms would take control over near all of Pictland, likely by way of a combination of the Picts' matrilineal succession and war. The Picts followed lines of succession through their mothers rather than fathers. Legendarily, this is because the kings of Pictland were given wives by the Irish king Niall, but demanded the Picts follow lines of succession through their mothers, to ensure they always had a king of Gaelic descent. The interrelation of all Pict kings meant they were all eligible to inherit rule of one another's kingdoms, and ultimately Fibb came to rule all of the lowlands of Pictland, and Cat controlled most of the highlands.

It is unknown when exactly the two fell under control of a single king, though it may have been as early as Argentocoxos, but he may have only been king of Fibb. However, Drust mhic Yrp ascended the throne in 413 AD, and was king of both north and south. After his heir Talorg died, his younger brother Nectan Morbet mhic Yrb Mawr (the great) came to power. Nectan was possibly the first Christian ruler of Pictland. This fact may have laid the groundwork for the coming split between north and south. Nectan supposedly had to put down a number of pagan revolts in the north. Both his heir, Drust Guorthinmoc, and then Galan Arilith had to deal with similar religious revolts.

To curb such revolts, when Galan Arilith died, Drust mhic Udrost and Drust mhic Gyrom ruled jointly, one in the north, and one in the south, as one was a pagan and the other a Christian, though which was which is unknown. However, it is known Drust mhic Gyrom ruled a united Pictland for 5 years, but when he died, the kingdom was split between Fibb and Cat, though the official split would not occur until Drust mac Manaith died, presumably of the yellow plague, in 552 AD.

The history of the south is actually far spottier than the history of the isolated north. The succession of kings is largely lost. It is known that Brudei mhic Maelgwyn briefly ruled the south in addition to his rule as king of the north, through the puppet king Galam Cennelath. A little under a century after Galam's death in 580 AD, Northumbrians under Oswiu invaded Fibb, and killed the king possibly named Talorn. Fibb was conquered but for the land of Fife. Brudei mac Billi, king of Cat, recovered the south for the Picts.

The north was then ruled by the pagan king Brudei mhic Maelgwyn, son of the king of Gwynedd. He met Saint Columba, who freely converted and served numerous individuals in Cat's kingdom, including two of his sons. In 573 AD, he personally led his army to victory over a Dal Riadan invasion, and eventually commanded a brief vassalage of the Dal Riada. His heirs prepared to take control of the lands of Fibb, now under Anglo-Saxon rule, and in 667, began a war with Northumbria. The king Drust mac Donnel was defeated in battle against Ecgfrith, and was deposed by a rival claimant, Brudei mac Billi, who killed Ecgfrith in battle. Brudei defeated a massive Anglo-Saxon army at Nechtansmere, where he slaughtered the mass, and personally killed Ecgfrith, and proceeded to enslave or slaughter Northumbrians who inhabitted the region. His heir Taran was weak, and was deposed by Brude of Derelei, who became king of a once more united Pictland in 697 AD.

King Brude of the noble house Derelei was a powerful king, exerting his might to demand vassalage of both Dal Riada and Strathclyde briefly, though this was rescinded on his death. Nechtan mac Derile succeeded him, and brought the local church into union with Rome. In 737, a war with Dal Riada began under King Angus. Angus recieved aide from the kingdom of Ulaid, the northern Ui Neill, who had lost a few territories in Ireland to the Dal Riada. Angus defeated them in both Caledonia and Ireland, giving the territories in Ireland to Ulaid, and rendering Dal Riada in Caledonia as a province of Pictland, with his brother Talorgan being installed as chief.

Talorgan and Angus attempted then to conquer Strathclyde in 750 AD, and further expand the holdings of Pictland. A good initial campaign ended suddenly when Talorgan was killed in battle, most gruesomely as he was severed in two by a champion from Strathclyde, but not before he killed King Tewdur of Strathclyde. The Britons maintained the field though, while the Pictish army was broken and fled into the north. Angus, in revenge for the death of his brother launched a new campaign six years later, with aide from Northumbria. Again, the campaign started well, nearly capturing Dunbarton, but in an unrecorded battle outside of Dunbarton, the Northumbrians and Picts were slaughtered, and Angus had to flee back to Pictland with only a small entourage.

Dal Riada escaped the grasp of Pictish rule in a revolt in 768 AD, funded by Ulaid, who were fearful of a Pictish invasion. In 839 AD, King Eoganan of Pictland died in battle with vikings. Inheritance of rule, in an amount of irony, left the king of Dal Riada, Cinaed mac Alpin, ruler of much of Pictland, though the north remained under Pictish rule, until 'Mac Alpin's Treason' in 848 AD. In 841 AD, the Dal Riadan war with the Picts was at an apex, and Cinaed earned the title of 'Raven Feeder' for slaughtering countless Picts in excellently orchestrated battles. Cinaed invited his cousin, Drest mac Fethal, king of the northern Picts, and the remaining Pictish nobles to his palace at Scone, to discuss peace in 848 AD. Cinaed was one of the nobles who had a legal claim to the throne of the Picts. Every other heir was isolated with him at his capitol at Scone, where, in unknown circumstances, they were all murdered. The last Pictish king was dead, and Cinaed mac Alpin became the king of most of what is now the northern two-thirds of Scotland, though much was under control of vikings in reality. Pictish rebellions occured sporadically, but no Pictish kingdom would ever rule again, and their culture would eventually be worn out of existence under the weight of Gaelic and Norse influences in the north.

And now, the Pictish warriors - essence of this preview.  :razz:

Pictish Units

Dim
Boys too young to stand in the battle line and fight the enemy face to face would learn the ways of war by accompanying their fathers and brothers and supporting them with a hail of javelins. They are ill equipped and their morale is brittle, but then they should not be engaged in hand to hand combat at all, but rather should use their superior speed to stay out of the way of the enemy while their javelins wreak havoc.

Elbharu
Pictish huntsmen may have been called up in times of war to provide their kings with a force of useful skirmishers, armed as they were with a form of crossbow, the Roman manuballista. While probably never present in great numbers their skills at hunting and hiding in their misty homeland would have made them useful scouts with which to threaten the flanks of the enemy or pick off important men.

Saiogdaoer
Picts seem to have only seldom raised units of archers for use on the battlefield, but the few that they do have are skilled at finding their mark and ambushing their enemies. Though they will quickly be surrounded and overwhelmed in hand to hand combat, these men are skilled enough to strike only when the enemy least expects it, and to escape swiftly when they get too close for comfort.

Gairlom
Most Pictish warriors are portrayed as fighting with bucklers and shields, almost certainly unarmoured. These men are the basic levies of tribal warriors, and while the Picts were renowned as fierce warriors, they cannot be expected to stand for long against professional troops. Nevertheless, deployed correctly they can be useful warriors, especially if their abilities to hide and run like the wind are exploited correctly.

Schiltron
Pictish warriors sometimes seem to have been trained in the use of a long spear, almost a pike, and to fight in a dense formation perfectly suited to resisting enemy cavalry charges. These men are only freemen, and so cannot be expected to stand and fight if the situation is desperate, but they can be expected to hold their formation and give any enemy that tries a frontal attack more than a bloody nose!

Gai Aurmahr
These elite Pictish warriors are drawn from the finest of the kingdom’s warriors. Though they are equipped like their poorer brethren with spears and shields, they wear helms and mail shirts, making them a sturdy force on the battlefield, and one to be feared by enemy cavalry. Of course, their armour means that they are not so quick or agile as the lighter troops, but are more useful for holding important parts of the battle line.

Aumue Boai
Famously, some Picts in pagan times went into battle skyclad, trusting in their own skill to protect them from injury. Though such times are now over, the practice has not entirely died out in the lands of the Picts, and some warriors still choose to show their bravery by fighting naked. These men are fanatically brave as well as being fast and brutal on the attack.

Marchan Tho
Fierce Pictish horsemen armed with the battle axe, a favourite weapon of the northerners. These cavalry are swift and deadly, easily able to mount a devastating charge against the flanks or rear of enemy units, though they will not fare so well against heavier cavalry or formed enemy infantry.

Marchan Mor
The rulers of Pictish society, and they are supported in battle by noble warbands from their own household, consisting of sons, cousins and hostages from other chieftains, as well as picked warriors from their own lands. They fight as heavy cavalry, armoured in chain mail and hurling their javelins before charging home with their spears to devastating effect.

And now some battle shots:

Sleaceitherne -  first finished Dal Riatan unit:

Few faces, that you can select, while creating character:

Main menu and character screen:

Launcher design:

main_LOEY04.jpg

We hope you have enjoyed this Picts preview from Land of Eternal Youth v. 2.0 which will be available to download in the near future! Special thanks for this preview go to Arthurian Total War for most of historical stuff (and descriptions).

Regards,
Kolba

Great Job Kolba! I really enjoyed the screenshots. :wink: This will be a fantastic mod.

Pretty cool, all your mail textures look great, but some of your cloth ones seem a bit too bright? Especially those yellow padded cloths in the second picture and those green cloth-byrnies in the fourth. :razz:
Too bad my internet does not allow me to open that character screen, but it seems to look quite good.

Yes, perhaps you are right. I'll edit my post later with edited tunics. Thanks for feedback, guys!

EDIT: Something like that, or more darker?

Hells yeah! One of my favourite mods is back in action!

As always, just ask if you need help. You look like you've got it under control, though :wink:.

Thanks.  :grin:

What skills do you have? I need some models and textures, but also making few scenes would be nice.

Eh, I'm just a coder mainly. I play around with menus, scenes, quick battles..etc but nothing of use. Besides, I think Kardio would kill me if he found out that I was helping out another mod :razz:.

Ah, ok. If I need help with scripting, I will let you know.

BTW, svadil made some nice signatures. Don't forget to show everybody you are Land of Eternal Youth follower!

Code:
[URL=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,106.0.html][IMG]http://svadil.bplaced.net/tmp/sign01b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Code:
[URL=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,106.0.html][IMG]http://svadil.bplaced.net/tmp/sign03a.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Looking great! I do suggest that you make spears invisible when sheathed as this has always looked strange - more so with lances, and make javelins, jarids and the bugged dagger have no sheaths at all, all using the Item Editor. I also wonder if there's a way to have shields remain on your arm even when you're holding a spear with two hands? Didn't Hegemony do that? I may be wrong though. But Hundred Years War did that for bows. 

Looking mighty fine! You can never go wrong with good solid history behind it all.  :smile:

Kolba said:
Aumue Boai
Famously, some Picts in pagan times went into battle skyclad, trusting in their own skill to protect them from injury. Though such times are now over, the practice has not entirely died out in the lands of the Picts...
Glad to see they are still in the mod, and weren't removed due to historical accuracy.

Bloid said:
You should credit the Arthurian Total War team for those descriptions.

The descriptions of Pictish units are mainly work of Spongly and Ranika, but as you wish - added credit to all team.

Don Doggy said:
Were those pictures taken using DX7?

Yes, you are right. In my really old computer (it was bought in 2003, without any mayor hardware changes - just bought a new monitor, since old wasn't working correctly) I can run in DirectX 9 mode, but there aren't any visible changes. Maybe only reduced performance. No shadows also - Geforce 4 MX440 does not support pixel shaders.  :sad:

It's good that you have proper researchers now, but you need some custom models I think. :sad: the native items don't fit in too well imho.

Back
Top Bottom