SP Musket Era The Thistle & The Rose - Update (Check out the Troop Trees, Pg1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Max1mus

Regular
TheThistleTheRose.jpg

Welcome everybody to my first MOD, The Thistle & The Rose!

This is a Historic MOD, set in Britian during the 1700. Great Britain had just been formed by the Act of Union 1707 and was a single nation under one government. At this time the Royal House of Stuart were in power but in 1714 Queen Anne died and George I ascended to the throne. Now fast forward through lots of boring politics to reach 1745. The Jacobite Uprising! Scotlands attempt to put the Stuart House on the Throne again.

This MOD is set during the Jacobite rebelion so enough history, (I will put some links at the end for anyone whos interested,) on with the MOD.

The Map  -  Under Adjustment.

The map is being adjusted. It's been brought to my attention that a more indepth map, without Ireland would be better. More realistic scale and more detail. I'll update when it's done.

The Nations  -  Complete!

We have done some extensive research into the different factions of the time and have come up with this;

Jacobite Factions

The Chattan Confederation
Clan Macpherson, Clan Davidson, Clan Farquharson, Clan MacBain, Clan MacGillivray, Clan Macintyre of Badenoch, Clan Mackintosh, Clan MacLean of Dochgarroch, Clan MacPhail, Clan MacQueen, Clan MacThomas and Clan Shaw

The Atholl Highlanders
Clan Murray, Clan Fergusson, Clan Stewart of Atholl, Clan Elphinstone, Clan Forbes, Clan Keith, Clan MacIntyre, Clan MacKenzie, Clan MacLean, Clan MacLeod of MacLeod, Clan MacLeod of Lewis, Clan MacTavish, Clan MacMillan, Clan Maxwell, Clan Ramsay and Clan Wemyss

The Jacobites
Clan Cameron, Clan Chisholm, Clan Drummond, Clan Farquharson, Clan Grant of Glenmoriston, Clan Hay, Clan MacLea, Clan MacBain, Clan MacColl, Clan MacDonald of Clan Ranald, Clan MacDonald of Glencoe, Clan MacDonnell of Glengarry, Clan MacDonald of Keppoch, Clan Macfie, Clan MacGillivray, Clan MacGregor, Clan MacInnes, Clan MacKintosh, Clan MacIver, Clan Mackinnon, Clan Maclachlan, Clan MacLaren, Clan MacNeil of Barra, Clan Macpherson, Clan Menzies, Clan Morrison, Clan Ogilvy, Clan Oliphant, Clan Robertson, Clan Stewart of Appin.

Hanoverian Factions

The British Army
I can go into detail on the regiments that were in service at the time if people want that. My information is based on the regiments that fought at Culloden.

The Loyalist Scots
Clan Sutherland, Clan Sinclair, Clan Campbell, Clan MacKay, Clan Munro, Clan Ross, Clan Gunn, Clan MacLeod, Clan Grant of Freuchie along with the Lowland Regiments.

We thought we should include the clans so that people who have a clan history can join the side that their clan fought with.

Troop Trees

Loyalist Scots

Scots Grey (heavy cavalry)
                                              /
                          Scots Yeoman (light cavalry) - Dragoon
                                    /
Highland recruit - Highland Militiaman - Piper (- Flag Bearer/Colour Guard?)
                                    \
                            Highlander Infantryman - Veteran Highlander - Sergeant
                                            \
                                Highland Grenadier - Highland Grenadier Sergeant

Possible Elite units: Black Watch Infantryman - Black Watch Grenadier
                                    \
                            Black Watch Sergeant

British Army

Horse Guard (heavy cavalry)
                      /
              Yeoman - Dragoon
                /
English Volunteer - Militiaman - Drummer (- Flag Bearer/Colour Guard?)
                                  \
                            Line Infantryman - Veteran Infantryman - Sergeant
                                    \
                                Grenadier - Grenadier Sergeant

Possible Elite Units: Guardsman - Guards Sergeant
                                    \
                                Grenadier Guard

The Jacobite Troop Trees will be up soon.

The Equipment

Work has begun in ernest as there has been a suprising amount of interest in this mod!

We have some Cannon, Targe Shields and a few Swords and the Highland Pistols ready to be textured. The Redcoat Uniforms are done and ready to be textured.
Work has begun on the Highland Uniforms

Now to be done;
More Shields for variety,
A few more Basket Hilt Claymores,
Muskets!

The Request for Help!

Right we are looking for anyone who wants to help with scripting or coding at the moment. None of the team have any experience in this field but we are going to give it a go ourselves.

Here are some links for the history;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobite_rising
http://www.highlanderweb.co.uk/culloden/jacobite.htm
http://www.goscotland.info/sections/?section_id=4&page_id=32

i like...redcoats and highlanders...ought to be good

perhaps you should, if you dont know how to warp scripts and such, just stick with modding tools, nothing too heavy

I love the idea of this mod and wish you the best of luck!

Just because it's appropriate, some inspiration for ya.

Bonnie Charlie's now awa'
safely owre the friendly main;
many a heart will break i' twain,
should he no' come back again

will ye no come back again?
better lo'ed ye canna be,

ye trusted in your Hielan' men
they trusted you dear Charlie.
they kent your hidin' in the glen,
death and exile bravin'.

better lo'ed ye canna be,

also...

Speed bonnie boat
like a bird on the wing
onward the sailors cry
carry the lad
that was born to be king
over the sea to Skye

Loud the winds howl
Loud the waves roar

Thunderclouds fill the air
baffled our foes
stand by the shore
follow they will not dare

many's the lad
fought on that day
well the claymore did wield
yet when the night came
silenty laid dead on Culloden's field

Speed bonnie boat
like a bird on the wing
onward the sailors cry
carry the lad
that was born to be king
over the sea to Skye

burned are our homes
weep by the shore
Ocean's a royal bed
Rocked in the deep
Flora will keep
Watch by your weary head

Speed bonnie boat
like a bird on the wing
onward the sailors cry
carry the lad
that was born to be king
over the sea to Skye

Yeah... I've been listening to too much Real McKenzies lately, sorry  :lol:

Dain Ironfoot said:
But will you include the fact that more Scottish fought on the English side, or will you avoid that? :razz:

I have taken it into consideration. That's why I have split Scotland into the Jacobites and the Scots.

Thought I'd post a picture of my Map in progress, just so people actually have something to look at.

Map.jpg

I know it's a bit flat at the moment but I'm working on it!

I've had a few more ideas on my Mod while I was working on the Map. Does anyone have any idea whether it would be possible to implament something like a fife and drum band into a regement, so while your marching with the Redcoats, you do it to the iconic British Grenediers blaring, (for those who have never heard it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLc-bvcdNTw ) Or a Piper in amongst the Jacobites.

Update

Thanks to Dain Ironfoot work has begun on the Redcoat Uniforms and some Weapons.

I'll post some pics later.

Fantastic to see!! I can't wait to be slashin' away with ma highland broadsword and targe! Jolly good luck to you Sir.  :smile:

Yeah this mod looks badass. Can't wait to fight along side my ancestors of clan cameron.

will there be clan cameron because  douglas cameron was the first person to join bonnie prince charles

Wow, thats a really nice setting (and title) you got there. When I started reading the first sentence, I kinda groaned thinking "Not another 1100-1400 Britain mod  :roll:", but was pleasantly surprised when I saw it was in the 1700's. Good luck with the mod, mate!  :wink:

Thanks for your support everyone. I do hope to be able to define the Clans, even if it's just different tartan textures on the uniforms. I've been doing lots of research into the equipment used so i'll post some of that up. I know they aren't actual models yet but give me time! I'm new to this!

Here are some Targe pics, if someone doesn't know what they look like.

BannockburnTarge.jpg

CelticCrosstarge.jpg

CelticTarge2.jpg

CullodenTarge.jpg

GlenlivetTarge.jpg

HarlanTarge.jpg

RobRoyTarge.jpg

StirlingTarge.jpg

graham.jpg

keppoch.jpg

I will be making lots of variations of the Targe shields, and once the map is done this is what I'll start on next, (To get some practice with Wings3D!)

If anyone can offer their help that would be great, just send me a message or email me!

There's a nice array of broadsword designs on this site, if you want to take a look:

http://www.themadpiper.com/swords.htm

Thanks, It was a good site. There are so many variables of hilt on the broadsword. I will do basket hilt claymores, as those with a targe shield was standard Jacobite equipment. I will also include Dirks as they were also very common.

Yes they will have Highland, (Flintlock) Pistols. I'm also going to give some of them Muskets, they weren't very common as they were useless during the charge!

Back
Top Bottom