Gamespot's New Epic Fail

Users who are viewing this thread

Coenraad

A preview at Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/mountandblade/news.html?sid=6204434&mode=previews&om_act=convert&om_clk=previews&tag=previews;title;2

LOL, stupid review :???:?

In terms of gameplay, there'll now be mounted archery for the first time, which looked intuitive from the video we were shown.
Guy Cocker , please play a bloody version beyond 0.632!

He's one lucky guy. I've yet to play M&B and not be annoyed when playing with a non- Khergit faction against those purple steppe devils.

rofl :grin: this is just..well, at least something funny this friggin evening..

Illyrius said:
He's one lucky guy. I've yet to play M&B and not be annoyed when playing with a non- Khergit faction against those purple steppe devils.
That's why I use the war and peace quests to get every other faction to gang up on them and eliminte them for me. :wink:

But yeah, that preview is really stupid. It's basically a rewording of the press release plus this inane observation about horse archery. And isn't there already bump mapping on armors? I thought M&B already supports that, only there aren't actually any.

Lol Gamespot. I called them out in another thread for being retarded, and here they go and prove my point for me yet again.

At least he didn't say "There will be mounted blades for the first time".

I always wondered why excellent indy games got terrible reviews while factory-produced corporate crap games got excellent reviews.  Now, I know - they don't even bother to play the indy games; just write reviews based on the box art and press release, and (if you're lucky) a couple screenshots.  And let me be frank - most indy games, Mount and Blade included, have a few godawful screenshots associated with them...  even if they look good while playing or also have some good screenshots.  I can see myself giving it a D if I had to write a review based on a single poorly-chosen screenshot. 

Or, preferably, if I was being paid $1M/year by EA to give good grades to EA games and bad grades to all other games.  I'd still PLAY the games I gave D's rather than the games I gave A's, of course.  Living as the scum of society would probably be rather fun - just like in ponds and politics, the scum may stink, but it still floats to the top.

As one person said, it makes you wonder how long the reviewer actually played before giving the game a six. Horse archery for the first time? I'd say he played for five minutes.

EasyCo said:
As one person said, it makes you wonder how long the reviewer actually played before giving the game a six. Horse archery for the first time? I'd say he played for five minutes.

Pretty much. Besides, there's a WHOLE FACTION based on horse archery, so once you see the AI doing it you wonder if you can do it yourself (if you haven't tried yet). However methinks you might have to play for more than 1 minute to see the Khergits or be attacked by a ****ing Steppe Bandits, something that this guy didn't do before writting his review.

To put this in perspective:

1) The reviewer has reviewed 90% soccer games and 10% assorted garbage; to him, horse archery is probably just something that merits a red card.
2) The score was not really all the bad.  Slightly higher than Pro Evolution Soccer Management, which he notes was extremely bad compared to other modern soccer-management simulators - but not quite as good as Lips, which he marked down because you can't upload your performance onto the internet and you can't adjust the difficulty (I'm not sure what that means with regards to karaoke).

950900_20080715_embed001.jpg

M&B 2 will have to be much better than the original to beat this level of competition.

Why would anybody pay to kick balls around? I could run outside right now and crack some guy's nuts for free - best of all, bloody Gamespot wouldn't be there to review it.

"In terms of upgrades, the graphics have been given a major technical overhaul. They'll now feature high dynamic range lighting and bloom effects, as well as dynamic contrast and bump-mapping on the soldiers' armour."

That's not a major overhaul it's a couple of shaders worth difference. Between that and the "mounted archery for the first time" I weep for the future of gaming journalism.

Perhaps most surprisingly, the developer is going to consciously defy some of the criticism it has faced from fans. The sandbox elements of the original got mixed reviews, with some people wanting a more structured storyline. However, the open-style gameplay will remain exactly the same in the expansion, but this shouldn't be too much of a problem for the people who enjoyed its combat system and overall realistic approach. 

Thank god, though the idiot reviewer treats this like its a bad thing for not listening to those 'fans' whoever the hell they are.

Back
Top Bottom