What to do with Guantanamo Bay?

Users who are viewing this thread

13 Spider Bloody Chain

Grandmaster Knight
A few days ago, I remember reading a New York Times article on how at least one of the former Guantanamo Bay prisoners ended up becoming an Al-Queda deputy in Afghanistan (or something like that). Lately, I've heard that Obama's trying to shut down Guantanamo Bay as soon as possible, but if the NY Times article has any merit, this may ultimately create more problems than solve them. From the practical point of view, this makes sense: we're letting free a large number of people who absolutely hate us and originally were from a region infamous for its terrorist connections.

Now, we can't just take a gun to the prisoners or we'll create an international scene. We can't let them go or else they'll take revenge. Are we to keep them penned up for the rest of their lives?

What to do?

The classic problem of taking dangerous people prisoners really. Seeing as they will all be terrorists by now even if they weren't before I'm afraid you have no realistic choice but to keep them imprisoned for the rest of their lives or round them up to be shot. Whichever way it goes I couldn't care less :smile:

They don't need to be taken out of Prison, they just need a ****ing fair trail, if they're innocent they can walk free, if they're dangerous they can stay in a normal prison.

America needs to stop it's bull**** laws of being able to imprison foreigners without showing them the charges they are pressed on - not to mention the torture.

Everyone seems to be missing the point here with Guantanamo Bay.

A Swedish guy was actually imprisoned there, poor guy, innocent and now thanks to Guantanamo, completely messed up.

It is a real problem, and even though Obama wants it shut ASAP, it's really not that simple. I agree that America has gone about things the wrong way, and charged in heavy handed (no change there) when more thought on their part would probably have led to a better answer to the terror question. As it stands, they can't simply let every single prisoner walk free, some are undoubtedly guilty, but it's also equally likely that many are innocent.

Therefore, as Yoshiboy said, a trial would seem the most reasonable of solutions. But what if a dangerous individual walks free because of a liberal and weak minded court (a common problem these days), and promptly blows up a plane, what then? Who takes responsibility for that? It's happened in the past, murderers walk free and proceed to kill again. This is really the same problem that Britain faced with the IRA; many walked free when they should have been locked up for life, some even walked when the evidence of their crimes was without question, all because the government wanted to put a lid on the issue and secure peace. The question is, who ends up paying for that peace? The families of the victims caught in the bomb attacks? Is peace really worth letting mass murderers walk? Something to think on.

Yoshiboy said:
They don't need to be taken out of Prison, they just need a ****ing fair trail, if they're innocent they can walk free, if they're dangerous they can stay in a normal prison.
Well, yes, but for a lot of people, if they weren't dangerous before, they will be now.  Gitmo was a pretty ****ing stupid idea, but we're stuck with it.  Anyway,trials and those guilty, put 'em in US prisons.  Those innocent, let 'em go.  We may have created a few terrorists, but, well, we ****ed up. 

Guantanamo is to be shut down within a year, and diplomatic work is being done to send the prisoners
to other countries - preferably their home country - if possible.

When many of these people were kidnapped in Afghanistan and surroundings a reward of 5000 dollars was handed out
to people who could lead the CIA to possible insurgents/terrorists.
How much is a human life worth? Not enough to prevent false accusations = report random people you hate.

Guantanamo is a travesty: USA is no longer part of the so-called 'free world' so highly praised, especially by the USA.

cheebacockmeat.jpg

He wants Germany to take some prisoners. My arse. America has started that bull**** so it's their job to clean up the mess.

Only because he knows what happens to prisoners in Germany. /end holocaustjoke
Learn quickly my friends, for that, is how you solve an international issue.

Merentha said:
Yoshiboy said:
You can't prosecute people before they commit a crime.
Several of them did commit them, though, and those are the ones who should be tried.  The others actually can be tried, there's just no evidence that they did anything and so the case would be thrown out. 

God forbid them walking free when there's not a single shred of evidence that they're guilty! Oh well, just delay the trial...

Back
Top Bottom