Hi from Arthurian TW project leader

Users who are viewing this thread

Morcant

Sergeant at Arms
Hi, first message on M&B forums under the nickname I use in re-enactment.
On Total War forums Im mostly known as Agraes, founder and project leader of the mod Arthurian TW some of you may heard off.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107

I didn't tried the mod yet, as Im still playing with 867AD which is for 0.903, but Im really enjoying the idea of a M&B mod set up in this era. I can eventually bring some help with historical advices, as after working on ATW I created a re-enactment group called Letavia, dedicated to the Bretons of the late Vth century, and Im the historical referent.

Here our blog:
http://letavia.canalblog.com/

Here a glance at what we are doing:
31691237_m.jpg

32925364_p.jpg

Thank you very much for posting here!

I played your Arthurian TW mod few months ago. It's very good reference, so I used some units descriptions for my mod troops. I'll be grateful, if you help me with some historical dilemmas. Because it's difficult to make it historical - after Roman withdrawal from island there weren't many written texts, so mainly archeological excavations are our mainly source. I'll contact you by PM, if I need something.

What exact period your group is reenacting? Circa rule of Syagrius?

Regards,
Kolba

Feel free to use descriptions as long credits are given to ATW team  :wink:

You are right, text sources tend to be very scant for the period. However archeology give us a lot of information, and I think I have now read a good selection of books on the subjets, all recent studies by well-known scholars. ATW won't probably be the same mod if I had to make him from scratch now! It would be a lot more roman for Briton factions.

We are re-enacting 450-500 AD period, with an emphasis on 490-500... Well, it depends. Roman units are attested by Procopius as far as the middle of the VIth century, and both historical and archeological clues tend to show some of those units were made of Britons. So that could includes the conflict against Attila (Letavi or Armorican Britons beeing in Aetius army), the expedition of Riothamus in 469 against Euric, the activity of Ambrosius Aurelianus in Britain, with Mons Badonicus. The first half of the VIth century is also very interesting, and in France we work with late roman and barbarian groups doing late IVth and Vth century.

BTW, do you have a dedicated modeler? I have no clue how it works in M&B, maybe it is possible to import some ATW stuff even if it's low poly, such as helmets and so on if you need.

BTW, do you have a dedicated modeler? I have no clue how it works in M&B, maybe it is possible to import some ATW stuff even if it's low poly, such as helmets and so on if you need.

I'm not sure that importing Rome: Total War stuff will work in Mount&Blade. Our game have another system. In Mount & Blade you must do separate 3d models for each weapon/armor. For example, a short tutorial, if you are going to make a spearman soldier (Gairlom):

1. Make separate models:

- spear
- shield
- boots
- armor

2. You can skip making some equipment, if they're in original game (for example - boots).
3. Import them with textures to BRFedit.
4. Add new items to Module System.
5. Make new troop in Module System:

- give him singular and plural name.
- give him some equipment (recently modelled weapons and armors OR already existing in game stuff)
- define skills, proficiences, faction etc.

I described the way of adding new troops to game. So, I don't think that units from Arthurian: Total War will work in Mount&Blade. I'm doing mostly scripting, but I have kind of modeler. TheWitcher is doing some shields and helmets (based on Angus McBride ospreys, because he was the best osprey artist). Some of his work:

tarcza_screen.jpg

tarcza_harfa.jpg

But I'll be grateful, if you find some time to work on models.

Regards,
Kolba

Hey Kolba, here some more thoughts I hadn't the time to include in my PMs.

Period and factions
Starting in 570AD would add even more possibilities. The era is better known by this time, and you will be able to have leaders such as Urien Rheged, Mynywdog for Gododdin, Aedan for Dal Riada, Rydderch for Alcluyd or Ida for Bernicia. By this the best factions would be:
Rheged
Gododdin
Alcluyd
Fortriu (Pictish kingdom)
Dal Riada (Gaels)
Bernicia (Angles)

Unit tree

Britons
Ardu (skirmishers with javelins, spears and knifes)
1. Aulue (basic infantry with shields, javelins and spear) -> Peddestyr (some helmets and very basic armor) -> Milwyr (better armor) -> Campgur (best infantry with longswords, heavy armor and oval shields)
                                -> Marca (basic cavalry with javelins, axes and spears) -> Marcomawr (some armor, lances, swords, shields) -> Teulu (heavily armored)
2. Helwyr (basic archers) -> Saethwyr (slightly better protection, axes) -> Arwrweision (medium armor, axes, swords and round shields)
Plus some regional specialities like Aumabellu, Marca Bran, Cledwta, etc.

Gaels
Ceitherne (basic infantry, small shields if any, cudgels, knifes, javelins)
1. Fianadi Slea (javelins, small shields, spears, axes) -> Cliarthairi (bigger shields, spears, axes,basic armor) -> Curadha (medium armor, javelins, axes, spears, short swords) -> Deaisbard (a bit better, some with mail) -> Arras (heavily protected, longswords for some)
                                        -> Guirran (basic cavalry with little armor, javelins, axes) -> Guirranmor (cavalry with medium armor)
2. Fiagania (basic hunters)-> Maiobhanaghta (slingers with medium armor, small shields, some melee capacity)

Picts
Dim
1. Gairlom -> Gairmorlom -> Daoer (medium armor) -> Gai Aurmahr (heavy armor)
                                                                            -> Aumue Boai ('berserkers' lacking armor)
                                      -> Myrchan (basic cavalry) -> Myrchan Mor (upper cavalry)
2. Saiogdaoer (basic hunters) -> Elbharu (crossbowmen)

Angles
Geburs (basic infantry with cudgels, wooden shiels if any)
1. Geoguþe (infantry with spears and shields) -> Duguþe (medium armor) -> Gesiþas (heavy armor, swords)
                -> Eóred-þreát (cavalry) -> Æhorsedra Gesiþas (heavy cavalry)
2. Liðeremenn (slingers) -> Langbogascéotendas (longbowmen) -> Mearc-þreát (marchmen, longbows, spears, shields, medium armor)

Back
Top Bottom