• Vikings

Votes: 273 59.3%
  • Samurai

Votes: 187 40.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For £&@&£'s sake. The point of this thread is now buried in layers of ego. Roach- you're telling people to read back. Go back several scores of pages and see that this has been argued out dozens of times dozens of ways. Your final point earlier was essentially that one band of Vikings could not conquer Japan. Fine- nobody sane would argue they could. But a band of some two hundred of each gives us a scenario that the mounted archer scenario cannot win- heavy infantry, especially from a culture that uses large numbers of shields and bows- they can drive off cavalry archers. Your insistence on forcing this into a campaign- where you've given the samurai home advantage- is just trying to shift the scale and scenario until we can declare the Danes redundant tactically. Also, the strategic behaviour you've outlined for the Japanese does not match how they behaved in response to the Mongol invasion- they were far more set to establish a perimeter and contain the invasion and meet the threat directly rather than dispersal and ambush. So if we do want to consider Japan on the national scale we must now consider a Danish invasion on a mass scale- otherwise my point could be that 200 mounted archers could not seize Danish Jorvik- therefore samurai suck, right?

Bromden said:
If you'd bothered to pull your nose out of your ass for a sec you'd see that this thread is a pile of bull**** and I tried to get the best out of it with some pleasant conservation. You don't have to be snotty just because you believe yourself historically educated. **** you and I hope you'll have to live in this thread forever.

Oh, getting angry, aren't we? Of course the premise of this thread is a steaming pile of bull****. But that doesn't change the fact that a lot of statements thrown around here need a solid debunking.

@Blackthorn - Yes, I see, although your final conclusion is childish and reeks of bias. Samurai suck because they're more suited to their own style of warfare than that of vikings?

Shut up, Roach. Go read back asbout 60~70 pages, your points have pretty much all been discussed. You're just throwing oil on a stupid, stupid fire.

Also, accusing people of bias because they don't align with your opinion is hilarious, keep that up.

Roach XI the Magnificent said:
Oh, getting angry, aren't we? Of course the premise of this thread is a steaming pile of bull****. But that doesn't change the fact that a lot of statements thrown around here need a solid debunking.

mostly yours, with your perma samurai adavantage, all weve said about the bearded ones is theyll use thier shields and weapons they actauly use and theyd win, where as you have permantly given the samurai tactics they never used, hit and run, horse archery, and then homeland inavsion and how we have pirate samurai.

well, the samurai wont win because the vikings are in the norwiegian fjords and they are watching teh samurai in ther horse mounted pirate ships, and the samurai cant land because wherevern they do the norwiegian king with bring his entire amry on thier lil force, and beinga fjrod thers big cliffs so they cant use thier horses.... merrrrrrhhhhhhhh

also DEATH TO THIS THREAD!!!!

You did not debunk anything, you just bent some stuff to your liking to pretend having the upper hand. As in:

If you bothered to read the thread for a sec you'd see we're talking about what would amount to very early wokou - samiurai fighting in the Genpei war style.

Nobody said the wokou pirates fighting anybody at any time, they were just mentioned on a side note. By me.

I don't have problems with people knowing everything, but I can't stand people knowing everything better.

Ule said:
mostly yours, with your perma samurai adavantage, all weve said about the bearded ones is theyll use thier shields and weapons they actauly use and theyd win, where as you have permantly given the samurai tactics they never used, hit and run, horse archery, and then homeland inavsion and how we have pirate samurai.

well, the samurai wont win because the vikings are in the norwiegian fjords and they are watching teh samurai in ther horse mounted pirate ships, and the samurai cant land because wherevern they do the norwiegian king with bring his entire amry on thier lil force, and beinga fjrod thers big cliffs so they cant use thier horses.... merrrrrrhhhhhhhh

Read any ******** book about Samurai. They weren't always a bunch of elitist swordsmen, they started out as the horse archer retinues of nobles. You are simply too stupid to listen. Neither have I ever said they had some permanent advantage. Rather that a band of vikings could not do much harm to local samurai. Of course it is always easier to argue with a strawman.

Honestly I would put my money on the Viking every time.  People tend to overestimate the eastern martial tradition due to its mystique and underestimate the western martial tradition because it seems domestic.

I still find this whole argument/thread hilarious  :lol:

Mostly because, I didn't know people could get so worked up over something as unlikely as the Vikings sailing all the way to Japan/vice versa, and then fighting it out. (not that I doubt they would fight if they encountered each other.)

Also I'm aware that not all of us are necessarily adults (myself included) but do you have to resort to childish/petty name calling? :neutral:

Also

I'm ignoring this thread because I'm done hearing bickering  :roll:

Ule said:

Read any ******** book about Samurai. They weren't always a bunch of elitist swordsmen, they started out as the horse archer retinues of nobles. You are simply too stupid to listen. Neither have I ever said they had some permanent advantage. Rather that a band of vikings could not do much harm to local samurai. Of course it is always easier to argue with a strawman.

i have no intrest in reading a book on the samurai incase i turn into a blind smaurai fanboi such as yourself. and since when did the samurai use steppe archer tactics? never! and why is it always local samurai with you? lets stick them in ****ing africa, no will have the home advantage, but im sure youll come up with yet another advantage to the samurai, like sun screen or some other bull****.
i too am done coz your too stupid to understand basic arguements with out bringing out yet more advantages for your slitty eyed bumlovers.

Ule said:
i have no intrest in reading a book on the samurai incase i turn into a blind smaurai fanboi such as yourself.
Oh look. I can already tell you haven't read a single of my posts.
and since when did the samurai use steppe archer tactics? never!
Ok, denial. Now you've reached kindergartener level. DUDE THEY WERE PRIMARILY ******** HORSE ARCHERS TO BEGIN WITH, FROM 900AD TILL ABOUT 1300AD. Horse archery is a tactic not limited to steppe, although they learned that from the Koreans.
and why is it always local samurai with you? lets stick them in ******** africa, no will have the home advantage, but im sure youll come up with yet another advantage to the samurai, like sun screen or some other bull****.
Oh, but did we? I was discussing the situation of vikings landing in Japan, because someone mentioned that. In Africa, they'd both be pretty ****ed and would probably never meet. In a pitched battle vikings win - I NEVER ******** DENIED THAT. What I am trying to explain is that the Samurai would likely not even attempt a pitched battle. They'd get absolutely mauled if they did.
i too am done coz your too stupid to understand basic arguements with out bringing out yet more advantages for your slitty eyed bumlovers.
You remind me of my 8 year old brother. Let alone the fact that I am probably more "European" than you, coming from northern Europe, having light eyes and being 1.9m tall.

@Blackthorn - Yes, I see, although your final conclusion is childish and reeks of bias. Samurai suck because they're more suited to their own style of warfare than that of vikings?

I could not see how you could get that out of blackthorn's comment.

tobijah said:

Mostly because, I didn't know people could get so worked up over something as unlikely as the Vikings sailing all the way to Japan/vice versa, and then fighting it out. (not that I doubt they would fight if they encountered each other.)

Also I'm aware that not all of us are necessarily adults (myself included) but do you have to resort to childish/petty name calling? :neutral:

Also

I'd say the (original) porpouse of the thread, before it went a bit .. well.. sour, I guess.. was actually fun. It is nothing more then a fun hypothesis.
Though... Considered Skandinavians sailed all the way to Vinland, it's not that absurd. Sure, it'd still be quite the travel and an unlikely one. But as a "what if.." scenario, is just as amusing as any other, I'd say :smile:

tobijah said:

Also

Also this attitude makes for some "interesting" reads if you're into bickering
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI-c4DAl4WZBNo2eZsAiyHJQQCET-qNDrU-6zyg6o6618AdfGYog

Oh also one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is.
"Did anyone notice that the asker and at least one other person on the front page are banned? (I find that funny) :lol:

@ GodHandApostole
Yes I totally agree.

P.S.

Really leaving this time (maybe)

Ule said:
i have no intrest in reading a book on the samurai incase i turn into a blind smaurai fanboi such as yourself. and since when did the samurai use steppe archer tactics? never!

If you are afraid that reeading a book turns you into anything, then you are right, don't read a word anymore. TV is for you, mate.
And before bushido emerged in the 17th century, the ideals of the samurai were called kyuba no michi, which means "the way of the bow and the horse". What you get out of it, is up to you. No, it's not about lollipops.

****, here I go, posting in this thread again.

Bromden is correct! And as is evident from the name, they weren't really up to the task of taking down a heavily armored warrior from the front in melee. This is what samurai of 940AD looked like:

His armaments are a bow, and a short saber for self defense. That's it. The armor is designed purely for defending him from missile weapons, and is shaped like a rigid box. It doesn't allow much movement aside from aiming the bow. He cannot even really rotate his upper body. Only the head and arms for shooting. The o-yoroi is essentially a box of lamellae in which an archer has been put in. It can serve no other purpose than horse archery.

No- I believe the most important point here is we're discussing a direct clash. Not judging the two military models, or making a final analysis of ''y is better than x'', but judging what would happen if the two military models streamroller into each other. The fact you're attaching a final judgement about the inferiority/superiority of the culture and/or military model suggests you've got more than an objective stake in the debate.

For instance- you can easily round up another scenario where the other form is more ''suited''. But you've presented a scenario where a group of Danes raid Japan, without support, and the Japanese have drawn up their full socio-military model and ambush said invaders. That doesn't prove who would win- that proves partisan tactics on home ground will almost invariably knock back anything short of a full-scale logistically supported invasion. That proves nothing of the ins-and-outs of Japanese military form versus Danish military form. To drag us back to the original point screaming and kicking (and ignoring a lot of ad hominem bickering in the meanwhile), the question was if a ''Viking'' and a ''Samurai'' fought, who would likely be the winner. Not, ''Which of these two cultures was superior'' or ''Which school are you a fanboy of'' or ''How eloquently can you accuse all opponents of racial bias/ignorance''. Admittedly as history goes, the question is somewhat moot- but does have some merit as a fun exercise and debating point.
Hence why a LONG while ago a lot of us discussed setting the era for both parties, and then debating the relative merits of their style of combat individually and en masse, likely style of encounter, and likely outcome. It was not meant to turn into a p*ssing contest where the stakes were shifted and scenario altered until the ''party'' you support won.
If you came into it with a ''party'' and a determination to change the scenario until they were the victor, the little merit the thread had (if any) is stripped out and replaced with somethng about as fruitful as the original programme- the whole stimulus of the first post.

But never mind.

Ultimately a contact between an insular culture and a wide-travelled culture is rarely beneficial for the insular culture- which is a fact ''Deadliest Warrior'' tries to ignore. Insular cultures tend towards conservative preservation of practice rather than evolution of methodology based on a success/failure ratio- which comes from the population failing dramatically overseas or domestically during a large-scale military project and forcing their own infastructure to match to meet the new threat. Without constant external stimuli a military system becomes more traditional than effective, and accquires more socio-economic connotations which give the foremost exponents a vested interest in maintaining the status quo- a good example is the Normans of the late 12th century.

In essence- in the scenario the biggest features to consider-

*Familiarity
Would the Viking in question have witnessed horse-archery before (likelihood based entirely on our 'background'- if served in the Varangians or has travelled the silk-road or visited Rus- then yes- if Anglo-Scandinavian only- clearly 'no',)
The Samurai is unlikely to have come across the form of Danish equipment unless we push the dateline back and assume he has had contact with Mongolian infantry- in which case depending on the era he may be familiar with shield/spear combinations- but be less familiar with Danish-construction maille.

*Strategy
The assumption reigned on the programme that the Dane would be the least cautious- the Samurai far more so. Arguably both cultures had developed a more 'wait and see' approach to personal tactics and wider strategy, so more likely we have the Samurai loosing a test shaft at the Dane to gauge reaction, and the Dane remaining in place with shield presented to observe the 'next move'. Arguably a direct clash is far from a foregone conclusion- it is unlikely a single cavalry archer would engage a heavy infantryman- or the infantryman would be foolhardy enough to attempt to chase down a cavalry archer on foot.

*Scale
Logically then we need to scale up the encounter- but at different numerical ratios we see vastly different outcomes- at a scale of perhaps 5 combatants, the cavalry archers have a distinct advantage- to present a sufficient 'frontage' of shields at least three Danes cannot use ranged weapons, and two archers trying to supress five moving targets is nigh impossible. Raise the scale to 50 and the Samurai lack of horse-armour and the effectiveness of zonal shooting (practised by Danes in ship-to-ship warfare) would see a relatively large number of horses, if not riders, killed, reducing the effectiveness of the Samurai force. Scaled again to a 500 vs. 500 encounter, the lack of -any- Danish cavalry makes the situation hazardous, and produces more a ''1066'' scenario, with a ring of Danes recieving fire and occasionally responding with archers clustered to the centre- the Samurai unable to break the Danish formation, but equally, the Danes unable to respond.

Rather than this being considered a cultural clash- or a simple ''x beats y'' thread, it comes down to the simple concept of Cavalry Archer Vs. Heavy Infantry. If that was a simple enough equation to answer with a single word (Samurai! Viking!) then surely all the published works analysing the Roman/Parthian arena of battle are needlessly long? No. The simple answer is- THERE IS NO SIMPLE ANSWER. There is a lot of posturing and grandstanding, but that is to basically cover the lack of real virtue to either argument or scenario- other than ''I picked this one because it favours my opinion''.

Yes but then what is to say the Vikings would even disembark their ships?

I think that both sides could conceive of several logical ways in which they could avoid any disadvantageous battle.  :wink:

Blackthorn said:
In essence- in the scenario the biggest features to consider-

*Familiarity
Would the Viking in question have witnessed horse-archery before (likelihood based entirely on our 'background'- if served in the Varangians or has travelled the silk-road or visited Rus- then yes- if Anglo-Scandinavian only- clearly 'no',)
The Samurai is unlikely to have come across the form of Danish equipment unless we push the dateline back and assume he has had contact with Mongolian infantry- in which case depending on the era he may be familiar with shield/spear combinations- but be less familiar with Danish-construction maille.

*Strategy
The assumption reigned on the programme that the Dane would be the least cautious- the Samurai far more so. Arguably both cultures had developed a more 'wait and see' approach to personal tactics and wider strategy, so more likely we have the Samurai loosing a test shaft at the Dane to gauge reaction, and the Dane remaining in place with shield presented to observe the 'next move'. Arguably a direct clash is far from a foregone conclusion- it is unlikely a single cavalry archer would engage a heavy infantryman- or the infantryman would be foolhardy enough to attempt to chase down a cavalry archer on foot.

*Scale
Logically then we need to scale up the encounter- but at different numerical ratios we see vastly different outcomes- at a scale of perhaps 5 combatants, the cavalry archers have a distinct advantage- to present a sufficient 'frontage' of shields at least three Danes cannot use ranged weapons, and two archers trying to supress five moving targets is nigh impossible. Raise the scale to 50 and the Samurai lack of horse-armour and the effectiveness of zonal shooting (practised by Danes in ship-to-ship warfare) would see a relatively large number of horses, if not riders, killed, reducing the effectiveness of the Samurai force. Scaled again to a 500 vs. 500 encounter, the lack of -any- Danish cavalry makes the situation hazardous, and produces more a ''1066'' scenario, with a ring of Danes recieving fire and occasionally responding with archers clustered to the centre- the Samurai unable to break the Danish formation, but equally, the Danes unable to respond.

Rather than this being considered a cultural clash- or a simple ''x beats y'' thread, it comes down to the simple concept of Cavalry Archer Vs. Heavy Infantry. If that was a simple enough equation to answer with a single word (Samurai! Viking!) then surely all the published works analysing the Roman/Parthian arena of battle are needlessly long? No. The simple answer is- THERE IS NO SIMPLE ANSWER. There is a lot of posturing and grandstanding, but that is to basically cover the lack of real virtue to either argument or scenario- other than ''I picked this one because it favours my opinion''.

Awesome.  :grin:

Don't also forget that vikings used bows plenty, so it isn't as though the samurai could just stay out of range and pepper them with arrows.  Where they would have the problem is that if the Samurai refrained from giving battle and simply shadowed the Viking army, at some point the Vikings must rest, eat, or travel back to a settlement...at which time the Samurai might attack quickly and cause casualties.  You see crap like that happen all the time with the Mongols, who were of course horse archers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom