TEATRC tribute & universe expansion

Users who are viewing this thread

Although I did sense from one of your short stories back then, that Mondo sees none of the other four as worthy ones to take his place when he passes away.
"Hide it, Holofernes."

Just an inference. I always wanted to explore the relationship of Mondo, Zalera and Elhaym, just not the Super Friends version, since its already well established.

There was also a piece about a clerk 'finding' Zalera as a crazy brigadier ranker, so it would seem the appointment system is rather subjective, at least for the Devas.

... :idea:!  Ha! I thought that was familiar; one more little crazy awesomeness in an already insanely awesome mod.

FuryFire said:
Although I did sense from one of your short stories back then, that Mondo sees none of the other four as worthy ones to take his place when he passes away.
"Hide it, Holofernes."

Just an inference. I always wanted to explore the relationship of Mondo, Zalera and Elhaym, just not the Super Friends version, since its already well established.

I had the idea of Mondo dying from disease at some point, hence all his talking about his body rotting from the inside (cancer). But, you know, no point thinking about it right now.

is there any lore at all for the IS? XD

what did the is actually do in the 90 years they were formed, did they close their borders ?

apart from  80 years into the is reign, the laurian offensive ofc.

did the is know of the laurians before the invasion, had they skirmished with them on the waters for years beforehand?, did the kaiser's rapidly growing naval superiority alarm the laurians and bulkhead the cause for the invasion?

Edward_Cullen said:
is there any lore at all for the IS? XD

Hardly any.

Edward_Cullen said:
what did the is actually do in the 90 years they were formed, did they close their borders ?

They stood around and had conflicts with the HSE.

Edward_Cullen said:
did the is know of the laurians before the invasion, had they skirmished with them on the waters for years beforehand?,

Yes, they did know of the Laurians. It's hard not to if you live by the Obello. No war had actually been declared until the Laurian invasion of Calradia though.

Edward_Cullen said:
did the kaiser's rapidly growing naval superiority alarm the laurians and bulkhead the cause for the invasion?

They couldn't care less about the IS. Sure, it would be nice to wipe out an annoying nation, but it wasn't the cause of the invasion.

hmm, thanks venitius
well what is the  the power of the imperial navy, as the hype *oh how little of it there is , has lead me to believe its some mysterious god tier force of doom

well maybe not that much

but I assumed from what ive read the IS has some incredibly advanced nonsense ships, but too few too make a difference
compared to the power and the numbers the laurians have behind them?

No, they're not horribly advanced.

Put it simply, those "nonsense ships" they have a bit more armour than other ships but have design problems which mean that they aren't that useful. They aren't nonsense anyway. A big cannon mounted on a ship with some iron plating with some cannon on the sides.. I suppose it could work.

They still use bog standard ships that aren't armoured anyway. Their navy isn't one of the best but it's better than the Vaegir Navy. In a naval battle of equal numbers Haelmar and Lauria would trash the Kaiserliche Marine.

If say an Imperial squadron was going around raiding and blockading Laurian ports in Calradia or engaged a Laurian trade convoy then it would have success but against an equal number of warships it wouldn't be that good. The others have more cannon, and probably better gun crews.

Venitius said:
No, they're not horribly advanced.

Put it simply, those "nonsense ships" they have a bit more armour than other ships but have design problems which mean that they aren't that useful. They aren't nonsense anyway. A big cannon mounted on a ship with some iron plating with some cannon on the sides.. I suppose it could work.

They still use bog standard ships that aren't armoured anyway. Their navy isn't one of the best but it's better than the Vaegir Navy. In a naval battle of equal numbers Haelmar and Lauria would trash the Kaiserliche Marine.

If say an Imperial squadron was going around raiding and blockading Laurian ports in Calradia or engaged a Laurian trade convoy then it would have success but against an equal number of warships it wouldn't be that good. The others have more cannon, and probably better gun crews.
I'd imagined the IS's prime warships would  something along the lines of an incredibly prototype/primitive ironclad, but as you've said 'bit more armoured 'I suppose not :razz:

editedit: then again, that wouldn't really fit in with the IS somehow sucking at metalurgy, unless it was very selective areas in which they sucked in

If you look at the artwork topic and look for the "Kurfust Ulrick" among Jan's stuff then you'll see what I mean. The front looks like it has some iron sheet plating (stretching the imagination a bit, perhaps).

Admittedly Haelmar's flagship also has two decks of guns I may have tweaked the lore around to make it so that there are more guns on some of the more recent ships.

So, I was just sitting around procrastinating while listening to the LotR soundtrack(immersion!) and I wrote up this little ditty about Erhardt der Landskneckt.  He's fighting somewhere in the Swadian Laurian wars.  Hope you like it.

Erhardt der Landsknecht​
The advance beat loudly from the drums within the Swadian pike square as the formation moved to meet the Laurian Tercio.  The two bodies began slowly advancing together, pike heads a few yards away and closing.  Erhardt lowered the pike at command and readied for the clash.  Now they touched.  Erhardt knocked down the point of the Laurian opposite him, then sighted the pike under his chin and drove it into his enemy’s side.  It took him right in the buckle to his plate and popped it open, along with his gut.  As the man fell the next Laurian behind him thrust over the dying man, aiming high at Erhardt’s neck.  Erhardt shifted his shoulder down to catch the head and let it slide over his pauldron.  There was a long scar under that pauldron where he’d learned that trick to save his life, and he’d been glad to purchase that armor when he did (soldier’s pay or not).  The Sknecht beside him was not so lucky and took a point to the eye, falling heavily.  Another screamed as a pike ran through his leg.  In fact, a number of his comrades about him weren’t so lucky; the Swadians were taking worse casualties than the Laurians.  The Swadian block began losing momentum as the Laurians kept pushing.  Erhardt was becoming keenly aware that they were losing this push of the pike as more Laurian pikes began pressing him.  He was now fighting entirely on defense against four men, maneuvering the pike to foul his enemies’.  Then a great blade crashed into the mess of pikes entangled in front of him, breaking them.  The Doppelsoldner wielding it raised it again and brought it in a great arc across the men in front of him.  Erhardt dropped the splintered pike and drew his Katzbalger.  Another Doppelsoldner came up on his other side.  The Landsknecht spotted the Colors a bit further off, and the Swadians raised a cry as more men came in from the Centre.  Erhardt offered a quick prayer and plunged forward…

I may continue it sometime, then again I am an excellent procrastinator...  :roll:

Nice one.

And yeah no one really expects you to continue, especially not me, as I myself have procrastinated some 3-6 lore pieces to death.

Good read.

Yeah, I procrastinate a lot. I said that I would write something at the end of February, but never got around to doing it.

True, very true, it's just that putting in that little extra effort of putting in the lore and such is a great part of what makes TEatRC so much, 'deeper', than most other M&B stuff out there.    And one just has to vent a little creativity now and then!

IS Lore. Gives me a chance to make the IS look bad and the Murond look like annoying rabble rousers.

"Sir, the 30th Infantry Regiment is being crushed." Major-General von Fremen looked up from his lunch at the messenger, who then continued. "And Colonel Wreder refuses to move, sir. He let them get ripped up in ambush by the Murond, sir."

von Fremen jumped up, knocking the chair onto the floor, and took a deep breath to calm himself. He turned around and walked to the great window overlooking the drilling square. "Murond eh?" He sighed, then stared down at the new recruits being trained to fire their calivers.

After a few moments of silence the General continued, "How many were there, Lieutenant?" The messenger replied, "Enough to decimate a depleted Regiment, sir. Those greatcoaters, rebs, bandits and clansmen." He paused, then continued. "The militia are trying to help out, as well as a company of Jaegers, but they can't hold on, sir."

The General turned around. "Lieutenant. Have you eaten? Go down to the mess and eat; you seem tired. We will talk later. I will try to deal with this situation. Dismissed."

The Lieutenant stood to attention then left. A bloody regiment.. defeated by dishonourable bastards.. The General mumbled to himself. "Friedrich. Go to Fernth and get him to mobilise his Brigade. Give him my compliments. Hurry now!" The aide ran off. "Wilhelm, which Brigade is this Wreder in?"

In the village of Hamsterdorf the calm atmosphere had been broken by a firefight as firelocks crackled and men died. A charge of clansmen had been seen off by Jaeger fire from the woods nearby but the settlement itself was still contested, and the routed clansmen now regrouped and charged into the village where the remnants of the 30th Infantry were dieing. A grizzled Black Hand agent in a duster shouted "Down with tyrants!" then fired off two pistols at two Kaiserlichers pinned behind an overturned cart.

A repeater gunner opened fire from the top of the church tower, the four rounds rattling off, then ducked down as a group of rebels fired off a volley at the tower, killing the gunner's loader. The gunner grabbed the repeater the gunner had been loading and fired it at the massed formation of rebels, which had now switched its target to a group of militiamen, who after two volleys broke and ran...

TBC sometime in the future.

NB: This is completely unrelated to the thing up above there. That I will finish sometime.

TITLE GOES HERE

Smoke rose from the ruins of the once mighty capital of the once proud Holy Swadian Empire, its walls torn down, the city aflame, the great monuments destroyed. The stone bastion that was the citadel crumbled, the great granite blocks falling from the wrecked walls onto the city below. The great ArchCathedral, the symbol and heart of the Calradian Church was a burnt out wreck, charred, with its tombs defiled, the statues defaced, the great ornaments and windows shattered. The Emperor's Palace was a shadow of its former self, its east wing flattened by Filaharnist Artillery. The great steeple rising from the Throne Room, damaged beyond belief, finally toppled over, and fell onto the large bloodied marble cobblestones of the Citadel. The remains of the Forlorn Hope of Guardsmen, Militia, soldiers, fanatics and patriots in the Citadel fought the Filaharnic foe inside the hollow structure once the icon of a nation.

On a distant hillside, hidden from view, two men stared through long-range spyglasses at the city. They closed the precious pieces then mounted their horses.

"I have failed again. Vienna has fallen, the army is smashed, the Filaharnist scum have the city and many good Swadians are in there being butchered by those pigs!" shouted one of the men, formerly a Field Marshal but now a disgraced commander.

"There was nothing we could do, Otto. The fall of Vienna was inevitable." stated the other, the Swadian General von Fleussringen. He opened up a canteen and drank water and licked his cracked lips. He had been in the thick of it during the battle, had survived and now also bore the consequences of the failure to repel the Filaharnists. He too hated the fact that Sigismund had refused people to leave, he too despised the fact that he had to abandon the people he swore to defend. But he kept it to himself, and did not openly mention it, for fear that it would lower the morale of the men even more so.

"Damn the Emperor!" his counterpart shouted, and spat on the ground. "And damn the Filaharnists too. If he hadn't.. if Nikephoros was alive.. Damn the Emperor for not allowing the evacuation to go ahead! We'll be the ****ing laughing stock, disgraced fools who lost an entire city, nay an entire province's worth of people and the province itself! No, my reputation does not matter, it's the people..." Otto Harhengothus took a deep breath and continued, "Why.. why is he still Emperor? Why did those useless nobles get away? Why..." He muttered to himself, and then trotted away to rejoin the column of troops on the march, signalling for his counterpart to come with him.

"You know perfectly well that if the Emperor was dead then Swadia would be completely lost and the electors would all be falling around like fools trying to get to the diplomacy table. They'd all die anyway, and we with them.. with them and the nobles. Those rich and cowardly nobles which fled the bloody city.. I'm making stuff up as I go, really..."

Silence remained between the two men after Fleussringen stopped until a third man walked up to their horses.

"Will the Filaharnists stop now that they have your capital, generals?" The man took off his Ellisian helmet, designed to look like the helms worn by Ellisian infantry when Ellis ruled all Calradia, with its noseguard and horsehair plume - now covered in in mud and dirt and badly damaged.

Fleussringen turned to the man and addressed him, "Well Theodoros, we know not what the Fillys want, but I presume they will not stop until the world is theirs, and they will stop at nothing."

The Ellisian stared at the ground but continued walking, and spoke quietly, "When I entered Vienna I told my men that if we held then Ellis would be free again." He spoke up and looked at the two Swadians. "What do you plan now? To keep running then?"

Harhengothus quickly replied, "I intend to fight the Filaharnists on chosen ground, and if they are to be defeated it will take years to do so. I know you wish them defeated and Ellis free. I wish them defeated too, but realise that you will not see Ellis free in your lifetime - nor will you probably see the Lion Throne fall.

You know of the tale of that mythological beast, the Hydra? The scum will not die until all its heads are cut - and they will keep coming back in a larger force unless each each stump is cauterized and overwhelmed. That is our foe, the Filaharnists - only by fighting on our own ground, utterly wiping out each force and each leader and razing them. Then, when it is weak its mighty immortal head shall be decapitated. If we survive long enough it will take many decades. If we are really lucky a plague will do it for us."

Harhengothus derided himself in his thoughts. We'll never win. They are too strong, too united.. too beastly.. Perhaps... heh.

The Highland March

Son,

You are now near to becoming sixteen winters old. It is time for you to partake in the tradition of all the Highland Clans, the rite of passage for formal admittance into the upper echelons: the Highland Clan March.

Every January, when winter is at its peak, all those who wish to be proper adults of the Clans participate in a march from the south, in the area neighbouring the uneducated peoples of the Lowlands, to the north, and then finally, when all your strength has been exhausted from your body, a final swim up to the Tongue of the Highland, the crescent-shaped earth that extends the reach of the Clans alarmingly close to the lands of the northern civilization of slaves, ruled by a powerless King and an eternally quarrelling assembly. I ask you not to make contact with those savages who claim to rule by the might of the proletarians. Their ways are barbarian to our ways and they are not to be contacted. If they are seen, then Son it would be a great honour to our Clan and to our family if you return home, a Highlander, and with the head of one of those barbarians.

This is a grizzly undertaking, Son, only the finest, the strongest, the smartest and the most cunning return from the Highland March to call themselves Highlanders of the Clans. I have faith in you and faith that you do not want to fail for fear of becoming a Lowlander. Make our family proud, and give strength to our Clan.

Lest you shame our family and never return to us.

It seems I had said somewhere in this board that I would write about him. So in order to have one less lore-promise not kept, here's a short story:

THE EARLY LIFE OF ALARIC WILDERMANN
-
SON OF MISCHIEF

There was a man of obscure origins residing in the woods of Ehlerdah. He earned his money from poaching the local lord's game and lived in a hidden shack on the mountain with his wife, a daughter and a son. Always he managed to escape the lord's men and set up booby traps and damaged their belongings to taunt them. He was a contented, ego-centric man, for he had most of what his short-sighted mind wished. His wife would stay home and weave clothing to sell in the nearest village market. His daughter he ordered to tend to their tiny patches of vegetable gardens scattered around the woods. He and his son would hunt in the woods. He taught his son in the way of deception and quick hands and printed in the boy's mind the desires of the world, the same desires he used to have but hadn't been able to fulfill in his time. He was a harsh husband and harsh father, but the family got on with their lives in their own, socially secluded way, which made the locals distrust them.

Then one day, when their hideout was finally discovered while the lord himself was in the woods with a hunting party, the lord's men surrounded his shack. The man's world seemed to crumble apart. The men shouted "Come out you devil! Our lord wishes to speak with you!".  What should he do now? Does he have another option? Hesitantly, he opened his oaken door and walked outside and yelled back in defiance: "Why do you disturb me in my own house!?"
"Your rightful lord does as he wishes, you rat!", the lord said aloud. "You live on my land and poach my game. How unfortunate for you that your hideout has been discovered at last. Now it's time for payment, villain." The poor man was hideously outnumbered and fear was upon him, yet he insisted: "What gives you right to God's animals, oh well-fed lord? Are the creatures of the forest born with your name on their arse?". He was himself shocked at what he said and indeed some of the lord's men couldn't help but giggle faintly at the remark. Irritated, the lord gave a token for his men to make their move and though the man struggled he was soon captured. Finally he saw the horror of his pending demise. "Still talking with impunity? You know the law of my land, scumbag. But, your death will be swift by my mercy.", the lord said, his fat face smiling. The poacher was feeling a most terrible emotion; fear for one’s life. Never before, in all his risky years had he held his capture possible or an end to his selfish life plausible in this manner.

In an act of wickedness, he cried to the lord: “Spare me, most just lord! Spare me in exchange for my virgin daughter! Do with her as you like! Leave me be and I will loyally guard your forest until God takes my soul!” Some of the lord’s men gazed at him in disgust of this vile proposition. But the lord was clearly delighted and ordered his men to bring the poacher’s family from the shack, where they had been listening to the ordeal. Out came a lumping woman in tattered clothes, for her husband was a miser. She showed signs of now-lost splendor and sternness. Also came a young man, in a coat of  hides, too large for him despite his large stature, obviously handed down from his father. He was about 13 years old. But then came the daughter, lo and behold, she was the very beauty of the forest itself, with silken hair and soul-piercing green eyes. Indeed, the locals had a myth of a taunting vixen speeding through the trees in merry song, only seen rarely. The lord was gloating and immediately he let the men holding her seat her before him on his saddle and he held her tightly with one arm. The girl was crying quietly and her young face was in agony for her father’s act of cowardice, devoid of any fatherly love. “Why, father?!”, she yelled in a high-pitched voice. The poacher did not answer and the lord shut the girl’s mouth with his left hand.
“Were it not that your seed had brought forth such an emerald”,  he said, nodding towards the girl in tears sitting in front of him, “I would not have tolerated your wretched heart to beat on”.

With that the hunting party left the mountain hideout and the man was left behind with his wife and son. He said no word of sadness and showed no sign of shame, on account of his stubbornness and malice. The sun was setting and he simply told his wife to make some tea as he walked into the house. The woman, already having lost the vigour of life long ago,  obeyed her husband’s command, her soul finally depleted, crying so loudly that the forest was tormented by it.
The boy was still outside, trying to comprehend what just happened. He stayed until the sun was down and the stars were bright. Then the boy picked up a stone and walked towards the shack.
His father saw him coming and said: “Alaric you idiot, what is that stone for? ”.
“Nothing”, said Alaric and he dropped the stone and came inside.

There was dead silence, aside from the crying mother. “Now we have one less hungry mouth to feed”, the poacher’s dumb brain finally concluded aloud. This gave his wife even more sorrow and she started crying yet louder. “You heartless beast!”, she yelled at her husband. Inside she wished for him to be gone, she wished she had rather never come to this world then to have come and become his wife.
The man was infuriated. He rose up  to his feet and grabbed his belt. He felt he could not use her whining on top of what he had had to do in order to save his own skin. Anyone in his place would have done the same. “Quit your yammering, you whore!”, he yelled, as the copper embossed part of his leather belt flew towards the woman’s tear-soaked face.

It did not reach her. Alaric extended his arm to protect his mother and out from under his rawhide coat came his father’s hunting knife. With a cry of  “You filth!”, he pushed the knife into his father’s guts. Blood came onto his face. His father’s eyes were looking at him, almost popping out of their sockets as the man fell down against the wall. Alaric was stunned for a moment. “You taught me to survive in the world by mischief father, but my sister and mother are pure! I hope you get what you deserve where you’re going”, he said and grabbed his father’s hunting bow, kissed his mother goodbye and left. But the young man’s vengeance was not yet satisfied.

He wandered the forest, living off scraps until he could not do so anymore. He had no plan on what to do, so he decided to leave the wide countryside around Ehlerdah and look for opportunities in Ulm. He heard distorted stories and rumors of his act along the way, but no-one really ever knew his father anyway nor recognized him. In Ulm he found various jobs, both honest and shadowy and trained himself in fighting whenever the opportunity arose. He joined Ulm’s militia, but was soon kicked out because of aggression against his pompous superior. Years passed in the streets, sometimes living like a rat and sometimes like a decent poor man.  This went on until a mercenary captain discovered his natural martial talents in a large street fight. His path to the world was opened.

This is how Alaric Wildermann, as he came to be called, had started his journey of revenge, which he got by ambushing and killing the lord who took his sister, later followed by his widespread fame in the fields of battle as a mercenary general.  Alaric Wildermann, a man capable of genuine horrors for self-gain, justified by his hatred of pretentious lords and his vow to leave the poor in peace, nevertheless showed to possess some small sense of dignity and selflessness. Though he fought usually for personal gain, a trait imprinted in his soul by his father, he was surprisingly present when Swadia was in its darkest hours. Such was his empathy to the struggling populace that he was one of the leading figures to slow down and wear out the advance guard of the Lion Throne as they were marching to Vienna and after the fall of the city he guarded the rear of the people who managed to flee.

He is both hated, feared and revered now. Even though Emperor Sigismund had enlisted him for Swadia’s defense, he still remains on every high noble’s list of villains to be killed. Wherever he appears he is greeted by commoners. But even in the presence of lords, none dare to arrest him on account of their own wrongdoings and Alaric’s radiant lordliness, however lawless sometimes. He and his exploits remain, in a way, a very imperfect, but effective conscience for those who think to have the right to push their own will upon every freeman on God's earth.

We have all heard of The Son of Mischief's many adventures. Who will tell how this engrossing tale will end? We can only wait and see..

Back
Top Bottom