TEATRC tribute & universe expansion

Users who are viewing this thread

Bunduqdari said:
mor2 said:
all night'er? its not a forum with un editable posts, its a wiki, you add/fix what you remember just as the next guy after you... i'll just add the initial entries.

I was talking about all the info about Khergits, Murond and Bermian, that needed to be gathered from scattered references of other pieces of lore or discussions. This would need to be done before anyone can write a "history" of them to put on the wiki.
Or alternatively, that person would have to have a very good memory and a lot of info about all of those factions himself.

This I said, to prevent contradiction with anything that has been written before about them, though Murond and Bermian would not be a problem when it comes to that.

Did someone say good memory?
Give me a week or so and I'll try to compile whatever discussions about Murond and Bermia from the forum and from my head.

From what I can remember, there is no such discussion about the history of Bermia except the intro of SfB. One could further dig deeper by playing the game itself. But I'm going to need a new video card or pc necronomicon to volunteer myself.

Murond I can remember to some good extent whatever lore D has hidden in game, which quite frankly all came from Horrigan. Discussions so far, has not placed an exact government on them. All I know is that its not monarchy, but its not democracy either. I slightly reinforced this by the lore of some Black Hand communiques.
Its troop trees keep getting juggled between an english and a revolutionary french version. With an established noble cavalry arm and an established militia. Personally I keep reminding myself of this picture whenever I think of the Muronds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eug%C3%A8ne_Delacroix_-_La_libert%C3%A9_guidant_le_peuple.jpg
Replace the lady with a Black Hand enforcer and you get what I'm seeing.

FuryFire said:
Its troop trees keep getting juggled between an english and a revolutionary french version. With an established noble cavalry arm and an established militia.Personally I keep reminding myself of this picture whenever I think of the Muronds
revolutionary french? so more musketeers?  personally i'll rather see more long bow and some sexy knights and man at arms.

2qxrdzb.png
2qvrt3k.png
2poqjx1.png

It has been decided that Murond be another shooty faction albeit in its own way different from the IS and HU. For one thing, they're rabble like musketeers all have custom made bayonets (rope tied knifes to be exact)

And that since the revolution, the revolutionists used guns ever since seeing it as a weapon of the people. Of course there would be some remnants of hunter/yeoman.

the north lands are all "shooty" (Laurian Arquebusier and Haelmarian musketeers) as opposed to the more traditional south.
Murond seem like a small nation, sitting on island, who never had an expansionist agenda(?), i imagined them just like their Pistoleers mercenary units are now, not musketeers.

Not exactly shooty, the Laurians love their pikemen more, fielding a ratio of 2 pikemen to 1 arquebusier if my numbers are right.
While the HU have their hackapells to add flavor.

Murond is not that expansionistic, they are just truly happy that they have some form of democracy, and this, in the eyes of its neighbors, it is a danger to their monarchial systems. Thus we might see Murond in C4 holding against the might of Lauria.

Actually, in lore, a laurian armada actually attempted invasion, but lo to their dismay, the turbulent seas coupled by storms have driven the armada into the jagged rocks near the shores of Murond, saving them from becoming another colony.

The Pistoleer dudes you see at the game are actually (if D accepts) Black Hand Enforcers. The Black Hands were the ones that organized and instigated the revolt in Murond in the first place. After Murond, they aim to spread their belief of "democracy" to the entire world. So some go about teaching this to the masses of other countries, while at the same time working as mercenaries to finance their organization in order to arm future revolutions.

So they are not the main troopers of Murond, they are secretive special bad ass gunslingers that also hang around Murond ensuring the development of the new government.

Another unfinished product I found:

Raid on Mylesia

The Raid on Mylesia signifies the first and only battle of the Gray Brotherhood, a secret society of nobles and peoples of authority in Calradia – and beyond – who swore to take down the Lion Throne.

Background

The first goal of the Gray Brotherhood’s plan to ultimately defeat the Lion Throne is to stop their quest to conquer Calradia in an effort to get to the Obello. To be able to stop their Calradian campaign, they were to sabotage the legendary Aurora Cannon, which is said to be able to strike the walls of a city as far as Nibelheim from the high hills of Lerna.

They planned for months gained from information gathered by Ishmael Hazak, who spent months deep within the Lion Throne. Discontent was rampant throughout the first months of the Gray Brotherhood’s planning stage. Racial discrimination, statuses of nobility and the like were causes for disagreements. However, with help from some members of the Gray Brotherhood the disagreements were settled and the planning continued, culminating to an agreed raid on the Aurora Cannon as it enters Mylesia.

Planning

After months of preparation, the Gray Brotherhood had successfully planned a raid on Mylesia in an effort to sabotage the Aurora Cannon, which has already been completed and was on the way to the outskirts of Lerna. The forces voted upon the Count Maximilian of the Holy Swadian Empire, respecting his record of battles against the Lion Throne – his successful siege of castle Ehlerdah went into legend. How he was able to keep the Lion Throne unaware that he was besieging castle Ehlerdah for more than a month remained a secret of Count Maximilian and his generals. Aiding Count Maximilian is Ishmael Hazak of the Nirdamese and the Grand Vizier of the Ormeli.

The forces of the Gray Brotherhood consist of forces from the Holy Swadian Empire, the Imperial State, the Laurian Kingdom, the Ormeli, the Vaegirs, the Bermianese, the Vory v Zakone, the La Cosa Nostra, the Nirdamese and Karaites of the Grand Duchy and, after diplomatic attempts$ by Ishmael Hazak, the Haelmarians.

The plan concocted by the Gray Brotherhood was simple: before the Aurora Cannon reaches the provincial capital of Mylesia, it is to be ambushed in a forest a safe distance from the provincial capital and the only route that can be taken by the Aurora Cannon to the provincial capital. Before the actual battle in a clearing in the forest, the Aurora Cannon is to be ambushed by a company of Nirdamese longbowmen and Bermianese marine crossbowmen.

After the initial ambush by the Nirdamese and Bermianese, these two companies will disperse and will be replaced by the Vory’s Deadman Brigade and by La Cosa Nostra hitmen, accompanied by a company of Guardsmen from the Imperial State. These two ambushes should be enough to halt the Lion Throne long enough until the larger force is ready for a pitched battle against the Aurora Cannon’s Brigade. Once the greater forces of the Gray Brotherhood are ready, they will engage the weakened Brigade.

Battle

When the Aurora Cannon entered the province of Mylesia, Nirdamese scouts report that the guard surrounding the Aurora Cannon was extensively doubled. Large beasts with long, drooping ears and white tusks were seen hauling the gargantuan cannon as hundreds of Brigadiers and the like were walking along beside it.

When the Aurora Cannon entered the forest, the two ambush parties readied their forces. The Nirdamese and Bermianese showered arrows and bolts when the cue came, however due to confusion the Vory v Zakone and the La Cosa Nostra also attacked. However, the Imperial Statesmen remained disciplined and refused to attack before the proper time. The Vory and La Cosa Nostra were mauled by the enemy. After a few initial volleys, the Nirdamese retreated into the woods while the Bermianese – now with gunfire support from the Imperial Statesmen – charged at the Lion Throne lines. They managed to reach the Aurora Cannon, however the overwhelming number of Brigadiers was enough to cut them down. The Imperial Statesmen retreated after a few initial volleys; the Brigadiers didn’t bother to follow.

Initial casualties for the Lion Throne were suggested to be very minimal, majority of the casualties coming from the volleys of arrows, bolts and gunfire. However most of the Vory, the La Cosa Nostra and the Bermianese were killed after they charged the Lion Throne lines, which quickly formed a square formation of shields, all around the Aurora Cannon.

A few miles away, in a large clearing the bulk of the Gray Brotherhood’s forces were already marshalling themselves, having been informed by Ormeli scouts of the ever-encroaching presence of the Aurora Cannon. Small companies of Laurian and Swadian pikemen were joined together after months of training in unison. All soldiers were given gray uniforms and armour as a symbol of their unity in the Brotherhood.

In front of the pike formations were skirmishers. Blunderbuss soldiers from Swadia, footmen from the Ormeli, scythers from the Duchy and “volunteers” from the Vory v Zakone and the La Cosa Nostra.

Behind the wall of pikes were rows of Imperial Guards, Janissaries, archers and crossbowmen of all kinds, who are ready to support the left and right flanks of the wall of soldiers with support fire in case of trouble. This also acts as a pincer movement to help surround the flanks of the Brigade.

I actually am not good at the large battle thingies, so I'll let anyone willing to finish this. Remember: The Gray Brotherhood loses.

Here's an attempt.
Its not done , since I need to sleep. These recent postings I've made once more recharged my fingers and I just can't resist trying a hand on your request

But once more I am horrified to find that it still assumes my characteristic of very long posts. I just can't help adding plenty of detail to share the different styles of how EATRC warfare is.

Still, I find it a challenge to write a battle scene without the perspective of an officer or a soldier on the ground. How do you guys do it?

By Noontime, with the sun high. The remnants of the Nirdamese and Imperial Statesmen of the first ambush wearily joined their brother in arms on the clearing. Immediately the Count ordered them to hide in the woods and reorganize.

The Aurora convoy, entered the clearing, they have expected more ambushers but not an entire army waiting for them. Already told to do so, the brotherhood skirmishers quickly, without need for orders, unleashed a volley of missiles at the first brigadiers that marched unto the clearing. Behind the lines, archers let loose a rain of arrows. Brigadiers fell in the dozens, under the onslaught of missile fire, but in a few moments, the front ranks began to form the head of the testudo formation, the first two ranks linking shields to form a shield wall while those at the back, linking their shields to form a roof. Arrows and crossbow bolts thudded harmlessly of the shields, as the vanguard slowly marched forward in testudo formation.

The Count quickly ordered the janissaries and imperial statesmen, whom were lying in reserve, to march into the flanks and harrass them with crossfire.
The front skirmishers continued to fire. Those armed with firearms managing to kill an occassional brigadier whenever his shield failed him. But whenever one falls, another quickly takes his place to maintain the formation. The Jannisaries and statesmen soon got in to position and fired a thunderous volley which decimated through the testudo formation. Disrupted and dazed, brigadiers were easily picked off by the next volley of the brotherhood skirmishers.

The convoy brigade was caught in a bottleneck where ranged fire cut them down as they entered the clearing. The brigade officers quickly changed tactic and ordered the brigadiers to fan out while those already hopelessly in the front are to charge forward heedless of enemy missle fire. This charge was countered by the brotherhood scythers. While ill experienced to fight real soldiers, the scythers did their job of further distracting and disrupting the enemy while the pike block of laurians and swadians were ordered to march forward. The brotherhood has studied the tactics of the brigade and know that the only way their brigadiers could beat pikemen head on is through a complex disciplined formation, one that the Count is not allowing to happen.

The disorganized frontal elements of the brigade where hopeless against the wall of pikes. The enemy officers weren't able to see this, thus they can't stop more of their men from reinforcing the deathtrap at the center. Meanwhile, the flanks took on a a more static scene. The brigade couldn't bring their full numbers into play. Charging the firing lines would be suicide at the relatively few number of soldiers at their line for the moment. Instead, they decided to wait for more men to fill their ranks, enough to suffer a charge into a musket line. The flank officers quickly ordered the brigadiers to scatter into smaller, squad sized testudons. Already obscured by accumulating, gun smoke, this confused the jannisaries and statesmen, thinking that there are more men than usual on the flanks. In effect they shifted their fire from the center killing field into the flanks of the brigade.

In an hour past noon, the battle still raged. The Aurora was still inside the woods, ordered to halt, while the a,bushers are being dealt with. Mounds of dead brigadiers and brotherhood skirmishers litter the center, the brotherhood pikeblock still standing strong. Brotherhood archers running low on arrows to rain death into the the enemy, so instead, they reinforced the flanks, awaiting in fear, to protect their brother in arms if the brigadiers decide to charge. The enemy did not disappoint. At this time, the flanks where so obscured by gunsmoke that the jannisaries and statesmen were ordered to stop, unable to acquire anymore targets past a dozen yards. Their fusilade however took its toll, despite the brigadiers being scattered, many on the flanks still died. Their resolve barely held together by faith and the assuring recitals of nearby chaplains, the battered brigadiers on the flanks were ordered to move forward.

What do you think so far? I already have planned how it ends, and I could message it to you if you like.

There's over a metre of snow outside my house, so what else is there to do but write? And shovel...

The Old Man and the Slave

It was a cool Laurian summer's morning. The wheat cast long shadows as the sun rose in the east. Gregor set down his scythe for a moment and watched the old Laurian farmer. He was working quickly, harvesting the wheat faster than Gregor could. His back was even more hunched than usual, with the weight of the crop pushing down on him. Paulo was his name, he was around fifty years old, around being the main word, for he had lost count of the exact number long ago. He had four sons and two daughters. One daughter was married to a nearby farmer while the other had died of the pox when she was a young child. As for the sons, they had left for the army long ago. The old man did not know if they were alive or dead. His wife had died while giving birth to the surviving daughter, a good fourteen years ago. Now, Gregor was the only one left at the farm. He had come to care for the old man, the man who owned him.
            Gregor was born in the Imperial State. He was the son of a farmer, not unlike the man who he now served. His village lay on a contested island on the Iller River. When word came that the Laurians were marching towards them, Gregor had joined the militia. He was fifteen. An inexperienced colonel had led the Kaiserlichers. He was the son of a General, and had been guaranteed the position. The Laurians were led by a renowned knight, who had fought in Haelmar and Bermian. The colonel told Gregor and the other men to get in a line and fire. It was his only order. The Laurians came from three directions, Gregor and the others didn't know which group to shoot at. The battle was a disaster. The pikes and blades of the Laurians tore through the line of Kaiserlichers. Gregor had dropped his gun, and tried to run away. A Herruelo rode him down and clubbed him on the head with the butt of his arquebus. Gregor woke up to find himself in a chain of prisoners.
        They were marched to Tihr and crammed into a galleon. They spent three weeks crossing the Obello Sea. In the dark hold of the ship, the men told stories of the fate of prisoners taken by the Laurians. One man firmly believed that prisoners were forced to fight to the death for the entertainment of Laurian lords. Over a dozen off them died en route, and were thrown overboard. When they finally reached a port town in Lauria, they were put into a walled enclosure, and stripped naked. By that point, they had ceased talking. The next day they were paraded in front of a crowd and auctioned off. That was the day Paulo bought Gregor, and his new life began. He had been lucky.

Paulo sat by the well and took a long drink from the bucket. His whole body ached, and although it was not hot, he was drenched with sweat. Gregor had told him that the weather in Obello was much cooler than in Calradia. The old man wondered how much more. Surely not as much as the southern lands. He had heard that snow never fell in the southern lands, and great lizards roamed all year long, never disappearing into the earth like in Lauria.
            He felt small. The farthest he had travelled was to the capital once, when the Queen was crowned. It had taken five days to walk there. He still remembered the great walls of stone, the maze of streets and alleys, the throngs of people standing outside the gates, as the Queen spoke to the people from atop the walls. It was amazing. The Queen was no beauty, but he had been unable to take his eyes off of her.
          Of course, she was the reason his sons were gone. Her wars had stolen away the youth of Lauria. Parents saw most, if not all of their sons leave their humble homes in search of glory and adventure. Some would return, gloating about how they had served the Queen, but never wanting to actually describe the battles. A neighbour's boy had burst into tears at the sound of a bucket falling into an empty well. Others would never come back, their fate remaining a mystery. Had they found glory, or an early grave? Most people relied on slaves, now that children could not be counted on for help. Slaves tilled the fields, built the buildings, and carried the trade goods. The wars ensured a plentiful source, but a foreigner who arrived unable to speak Laurian was nothing like a son. Most of them, at least.
            Paulo looked at Gregor, hard at work in the field. He had gotten the village priest to write out a will. Gregor would be set free and become the owner of the farm. He had considered freeing Gregor countless times. However, he was too afraid. What if he left, trying to return to the State? No, it could wait until his death. The man was treated well, like a son. He was the same age as Paulo's youngest. He can wait, Paulo thought to himself. It won’t be much longer, anyways.

Edit: Paulo is Portuguese... Oh well, the Laurians aren't acutally Spanish.

FuryFire said:
Not exactly shooty, the Laurians love their pikemen more, fielding a ratio of 2 pikemen to 1 arquebusier if my numbers are right.
While the HU have their hackapells to add flavor.

Murond is not that expansionistic, they are just truly happy that they have some form of democracy, and this, in the eyes of its neighbors, it is a danger to their monarchial systems. Thus we might see Murond in C4 holding against the might of Lauria.

Actually, in lore, a laurian armada actually attempted invasion, but lo to their dismay, the turbulent seas coupled by storms have driven the armada into the jagged rocks near the shores of Murond, saving them from becoming another colony.

The Pistoleer dudes you see at the game are actually (if D accepts) Black Hand Enforcers. The Black Hands were the ones that organized and instigated the revolt in Murond in the first place. After Murond, they aim to spread their belief of "democracy" to the entire world. So some go about teaching this to the masses of other countries, while at the same time working as mercenaries to finance their organization in order to arm future revolutions.

So they are not the main troopers of Murond, they are secretive special bad ass gunslingers that also hang around Murond ensuring the development of the new government.
i love "shooty" countries, mainly because i hate running around with a sword/pike, i rather command my troops, breaking  incoming charges, i also mainly enjoy the grand scheme of thing, not the individual fights.
still i like to whack some heads sometimes and admittedly whacking heads was far more sexy before the gunpowder, which is why i was hoping that the rather isolated muround and the clans be more of old school armies that i could enjoy without the hail of bullets that is part of most campaigns on the "mainland" but musketeers is fine too and i love the lore piece that for the countries :grin: (speaking of which, i love all the lore piece here on the thread, keep them coming)

EDIT:
Bunduqdari said:
But how true is it, that more than half of the calradia we know, used to be Swadian heartland?
not sure if its Swadian heartland but it was the map of Swadian kingdom at its height of it power but why its surprising? half of calradia we know used to be Dual Monarchy, their map would be something like that:
vd07y1.jpg

Well I got a PM similar to this, and this was what I replied with;

extract:

The Grand Duchy wasn't part of the Dual Monarchy before. It gained lands after the Dual Monarchy collapsed due to separatist nobles from the former Dual Monarchy, but it was an independent state before that...

Haelmar invaded the far east of Dual Monarchy lands which were.. hardly inhabited or hardly controlled. (except for a few towns that were expanded by the arrival of the HEF) They were somewhat useless to the Dual Monarchy and whether they were fully controlled or not doesn't really seem to matter..

Which seems possible as there's stuff on a Ducal house that goes back far earlier than the collapse of the DM.

The Grand Duchy was never a part of the Dual Monarchy. The Dual Monarchy - and the rest of Calradia, for that matter - was unaware of the existence of the Grand Duchy.

The Travellers are mentioning about Zenislev and its Great Eastern War which brought it into Dual Monarchy.

Could it possible for Zenislev is once a part of Grand Duchy?

this what i was relying on:
The Dual Monarchy was a union between the growing Vaegir and Nirdam Kingdoms, and eventually along with the Grand Duchy of Zenislev when the Grand Duke surrendered as the armies besieged Zenislev. Below these Unifiers were a varying different peoples who settled in their lands. These peoples made the bulk of the newly formed armies of the Dual Monarchy.

Among these were light cavalry from the Khegit steppe, naval soldiers from the islands of Perus , light infantry from the lands of Wercheg, heavy cavalry from the Vaegirs, arquebusiers from the Zenislevs and the feared longbowmen from the Nirdamesse. This new union of different peoples caused great unrest, one thinking that the other would turn on them, and other problems.

ut to the south, the conquered Khegit lands were retaken by their own empire, and the army of the Dual Monarchy forced to retreat.

I thought I'd never see the day when my own writings were quoted like candy.

I'm confused on what you're asking, by the way. But I've made it clear that the Dual Monarchy never had the Grand Duchy. The Grand Duchy of Zenislev is different from the Grand Duchy that is present in the game. Zenislev is Vaegir territory, however Zenislev itself gains a high-amount of independence from the Dual Monarchy. This independence would be suppressed by the Tsardom, which is why you would see majority of those harbouring feelings of separatism would come from Zenislev.

To date, the throne of Grand Duke of the Grand Duchy (the Grand Duchy in game) is vacant, the highest position would be Prince-Sovereign, who still hasn't been enthroned as Grand Duke by the Ducal Parliament (Sejm, in Polish) for reasons that I'm yet working on.

I believe that the Grand Duchy and the Grand Duchy of Zenislev are not related. Later, after the rise of the Tsar, some Zenislevites did go over but apart from that I think they were not related at all.

Damn, Ninja'd.

in that case i was wrong. just started reading on the Vaegirs, so it will take some time until i'll catchup with Grand Duchy side as well.

Edit: Boomie, any chance you can make a layout of Vaegir terretory, including "Grand Duchy of Zenislev" and Nirdamies territories?

At some point the Grand Duchy of Zenislev and the Nirdam Nation were kind of the same territory. When you keep reading you'll figure it out. Basically, the Dual Monarchy would have contained around eight cities. From Wercheg to Zenislev, plus the three cities of the Haelmarian Union. Along with that, it would have had some fictional islands out in the Obello, but that's it.

the Grand Duchy was never part of the Dual Monarchy but it must have expanded westward, otherwise Dual Monarchy past control of Khergit land doesnt make sense.

so Grand Duchy of Zenislev used to occupy the south and the east of what now is know as Vaegir kingdom?

Back
Top Bottom