TEATRC tribute & universe expansion

Users who are viewing this thread

I like it. But the story seems a bit rushed, like you just described the scene of the battle without giving much interpretation to it. The story needs to have passion written into it. When you're not motivated to write, then don't write at all. Don't write just because other people want you to write, write because you want to write.

Ah, but it's a skirmish. It isn't meant to be long. Hence the 3 battalions vs clump of rebs.

And I did want to write then.

Well it's definitely an enjoyable read, I'm not saying it's bad, I only commented because I thought you were gonna write about the Rebellion itsself.

I'm gonna write something meself one of these days, I just can't get myself to start working on it.

EDIT: Sarranid faction history coming up soon, probably tomorrow. I want to apologize in advance because it has become a very long story again. But I'm hoping that I have something unique on my hard-drive atm.  :wink:

Fire in the hole! It didn't end up as long as I thought but its not short either. Keep an eye out for inconsistencies in it. You may freely tell me that I suck at storytelling. But if it does suit your fancy, let me know too, so that I know I didn't waste my time.
I present thee, the factional fiction for Sarranshahr!

The Fruits of Sarran

A very old man walked through the streets of Suran, wearing the Shah’s Robe of Honor. He walked slowly as the gold decorations of his robe reflected the midday sun, augmenting the faint smile on his ancient face. The people saluted him with “Good day, honorable Jamshed!” and “We wish you peace of body and mind, great Jamshed”. He kindly answered the people likewise and went on his way with his staff, without which he could barely walk a mile. When he came to the less densely-built part of the city, just outside the walls, he stood before the modest two-story house he inherited from his father.  Entering the front garden, he hit a ripe apricot off its branch with his staff and sat down under the tree to eat it.

Not much later, a boy was calling his name from outside the garden walls. “Can I see you, uncle?”, Zavareh said. “Of course, come in, son”, Jamshed said. His 13-year-old nephew came dressed in silk and silver. “Has the Shah rewarded you as well?” Jamshed said surprised. “What feat of wonder did you pull off, young lion?”
“I didn’t do anything. The Shah’s men knocked on the door this morning and told my mother to dress the nephew of Jamshed the Wise like a prince.. so they gave me these nice-looking clothes” he said, showing off his new look in pride. “I wish my father could see this, but he won’t be back from his journey until next month”.

Jamshed looked at his nephew and then at his Robe of Honor. “Zavareh, we mustn’t let these things go to our heads. There is no virtue in owning yards of fine silk or hoards of gold. If you wish to be as respected among men as your old uncle, you need to use your wits. Be brave and nothing will harm your soul. Only serve goodness and help the needy. You will find peace in your heart and receive the recognition of the Shah as well. Do you even know how our land was built by the kings of old, child? It was built upon justice. The same justice that, like pillars, prevents the very sky from falling apart and crushing the world into chaos.” After the climaxing of his life’s work, old Jamshed felt like he was more alive than ever and needed to enlighten the boy, lest he make the same mistakes as he did and waste his precious youth on the false promises of a short lifetime.

The deeds of our fathers

Zavareh was already a very bright young lad and appeared to understand his uncle’s concerns, though he failed to get the urgency of it and didn’t quite know what the seriousness was about, on this particular fine day. “I know, uncle Jamshed, that’s why I’m here. After I heard that the Shah rewarded you for your years  of service I immediately starting thinking “How did we free ourselves from those bloodthirsty horsemen? We were outnumbered and had fewer arms and equipment. Yet my brother Hugaw was there, chasing horsemen off the battlefield on foot! Now that we have a new Shah, I thought about how the old ones must have been. I’ve heard some stories from the story-tellers, but they never talk much besides how strong they were and how many enemies they slew. I wish to know what Sarran was like in the old days, under their rule!”

Jamshed looked at him with a smile and gave him an apricot. “Very well, son. You have a good head on your shoulders. It was not a matter of numbers on that battle, but a matter of courage, self-respect and devotion to one’s loved ones. Even if some men of Sarranshahr would not mind being other’s slaves, they would still owe it to their families to be free men. Our ancient customs do not permit a man of Sarran to bow his neck to a tyrant. Even if we only have sticks and stones, we fight to restore the most capable and wise leader among the royal bloodline to power, so that peace and prosperity may ensue.

Our history of kingship and hegemony goes way back, to the time of the great hero Rostam. No doubt an aspiring young warrior like yourself has heard of his incredible stories. It is said that the royal bloodline that has ruled Sarran for eons is the offspring of this conqueror. An unbroken line of prudent rulers, though there were gaps of chaos by the hands of usurpers. As such, the last heir-apparent which I have served for twenty years, in secret and in his advance to the throne, has brought back with him the glad tidings that were endowed to his royal bloodline. In the old days, it was us, who brought law and order to the people of Ptia, Mylesia and all the way to the borders of the Jade Throne in the east, where the Emperor of the Xi ruled. We brought civilization to many ignorant tribes. Our culture and thinking spread beyond Sarran itself. Indeed, some Ptians and Mylesians still speak a dialect of our tongue. All of this plenty was the result of our ancient kings’ work.

When they conquered a region, they would pacify the countryside, set up a satrapy and appoint an official to dispense justice, keep the roads safe, improve irrigation and gather taxes from which the Great King would receive a large portion as tribute. Thus, they were able to sustain their government and the armies that protected the people of Sarranshahr. Trade flourished, especially with the Jade Throne and the far-off land of Shur. As a result, many noblemen and merchants had spare time to pursue forms of art, poetry and reasoning. The Shahs chose the best of them to perform at their court. This is how our forefathers lived their lives under wise rule.”

The end of grace

Zavareh listened with great interest. He had finished his apricot and was now staring at the fruits of the pomegranate tree in front of them, which had given fruit sooner than normal this year. He posed another question: “What a great history we have, uncle. Why did it change? Can I have one of those?” he said, pointing at the pomegranate. He didn’t wait for the answer, grabbed one  and sat down next to his uncle again. There was a cooling afternoon breeze and both young and old took a deep breath to enjoy it. Jamshed, clearly enjoying his nephew’s failed attempts to open the pomegranate, took out a knife from his bag for the kid and continued:

“It was the city of Ellis, in lowland Calradia, that had grown in power. They had conquered most of the north, west and south-west and put their greedy eyes on our dignity. They were men with very little understanding of the purpose of war. They conquered lands, but ruled them with and iron fist. If a city would resist, they would burn it and repopulate it. They believed in gods that would give them support no matter what crime they committed. They invaded Mylesia and would even dare send an army to our homeland, but our fathers defended. We were the only one not to bow  before the Emperor. But our golden age was over.

Centuries later, Ellis had lost its glory and was but a shadow of its former self. But there were new threats. Fanatics from the south came in the name of a Pope. They came to our borders and demanded we surrender. The king of that time brokered a deal with them to keep the peace, lest they have to fight the Horde of Khergits to our east. The Lion Throne couldn’t use such a war at that moment and they retreated with the Shah’s coins in their coffers.

The innumerable Khergit Horde had done their first conquests outside the huge steppes. When they conquered the Xi, trade was cut off. They continued into our eastern territories, but were again halted in Sarran. The Shah of that time, Mnemon had a hard time keeping both armies out. If it were not for the mostly hilly and mountainous landscape of Sarran, the inevitable would have happened sooner. The royal treasury was in debt due to constant war, morale was low. Finally when Mnemon was assassinated, the Khergits seized control and placed a lesser Khan on the throne here in Suran. Twenty-nine years of oppression ensued. Nomads came with their herds to take over our greenest pastures. Our sanctuaries destroyed. Our sons were slain and our daughters defiled. In the meantime the Khan and the Pope fought over the former satrapies of Sarranshahr, until they agreed to a cease-fire. Our homeland and the east was for the Khergits and the western satrapies fell to the Lion Throne.

It was a matter of time before they would see our revenge. And here we are, under the leadership of Mnemons youngest grandson Khusraw, free.” Jamshed stopped talking, his green eyes were glistering.

A fire in the hearts of men

A moment of silence ensued as Zavareh was thinking, with the red color of the pomegranate around his mouth. His costly green silk shirt was stained by its juice and he looked at it with horror, but continued: “That’s amazing, uncle Jamshed! How did we manage to free ourselves from them? I was too small to be aware of what happened. What was your part in it? What did you do to make the Great King love you so much?” Zavareh said.

“That is because the Great King was not always the Great King, my nephew. A man may make a claim to the throne, but that does not make him Shah. He needs to have men to lead and his rule must be unchallenged. When Shah Mnemon was assassinated, our armies were routed and the Khergit lesser Khan named Tolui was installed. The royal family fled to the mountains, where they remained hidden by faithful servants. Mnemon’s  son, Prince Bahram commanded a spread-out force of warriors who used to be the personal guard of the Shah. They would hide themselves in rural areas and in the mountains and forests of Sarran. Bolstered by volunteers they would organize raids on Khergit patrols and nomad camps and assassinate army commanders. In all those years, we did not give any rest to the Khergits to establish themselves firmly on our soil.

I myself remained the Vizier of Bahram, as I had been the Vizier in Mnemon’s time. Though I had no mighty realm to administer this time, I still gave counsel to the Prince in all matters and sought connection with the people of the cities for support. You know, Zavareh, that our family has brought forth renowned viziers for the kings of Sarranshahr for many generations. Nothing would fit me but to stay with the royal family in their time of need.

As years passed, the resistance grew and we gained permanent control of some of the small towns and villages. Our famous horse breeds had the upper hand in mountainous terrains, though most fought on foot and lightly packed. Bahram remained in hiding, unreachable for the spies of the lesser Khan. Until one of our spies turned out to be a double spy. Prince Bahram was arrested and executed. He was a valiant warrior and a true example of nobility. He had left behind two sons. The older brother Arman was asked by the nobles to accept their oath of fealty and lead the resistance. The Khergits were slaughtering whole towns for information about our struggle, but Arman felt that he had seen enough bloodshed and declined. He retreated to the forested mountains of Gurgan, saying that he wished to live a quiet live. To this day he resides in a cave, living off the land. Perhaps for the better. No one would want to see him again.

But the war was at its low point. The younger son of Prince Bahram was but a child, a bit like you, Zavareh. It was young Khusraw. The nobles lost hope. They needed a strong leader, whose charisma would uplift the hearts of the common folk. For they knew very well that their noble blood was of no use to them without enough fighters on our side. I took most of the tasks of young Prince Khusraw on my shoulders, while I mentored him to adulthood in the ways of leadership, persuasion and the skills of administration. As the years passed, he grew into a powerful warlord and we needed but an extra aid from heaven to start a full-scale rebellion.

It came in the form of the death of a man who we despised before all others, Mongke Khan. Executed on the orders of the Fifth Deva after attempting to invade the Lion Throne. What a blessing it was indeed that one of our enemies was to be slain by the hands of another  enemy, don’t you think Zavareh? The lesser Khan Tolui in Suran needed to get back to the Khergit capital of Karakorum for the decision of who would be the next Great Khan. He had a chance of being chosen too. He would rather risk losing a war-torn and poor Sarran, than to stay here and lose his chance to become the mightiest ruler of the East.

Thus he left behind an incapable regent. I sent letters to old friends, merchants and elders that the time had come to fight for their rightful king, to rid ourselves from these devils and save the honor of Sarran. We received positive replies and Prince Khusraw coordinated his new forces, first to dispose of the Khergit garrisons in the cities and then to unite for the battle in the fields near Suran against the regent’s counterattack. We won, because we had everything to win and nothing to lose.

The people of Suran welcomed the Prince in joy and a coronation like none had ever seen took place in the Palace Garden. Not because everyone wore velvet and gilded ceremonial swords, but because we were united once again. But the deed was not yet done. There Khergits still held a number of castles. The city of Yazd had failed to rebel and half its populace was massacred. The regent received news that Tolui was on his way back. Frightened by the punishment that would follow when Tolui would be back, he fled south.

Lacking a leader and demoralized by the turn of events, the Khergit castles fell relatively easily. While Shah Khusraw prepared to assault the walls of Yazd, where the Khergits had been stubborn, Tolui turned up, with an army from the steppes. He was not Great Khan, so he was angry. The Battle of the Spear and the Rock was fought. I don’t have to tell you about that battle, Zavareh, your brother Hugaw fought bravely there that day. When it was all over, Shah Khusraw rewarded his followers, asserted his rule over the land and brought peace and justice to the people once more.” Jamshed finished, looking at Zavareh.

Memories suffice as wealth

“What a story”, Zavareh said. “But why did he reward you with just a Robe of Honor, uncle? Aren’t Viziers supposed to be almost as wealthy as a prince?”
“He wanted to award me with fertile farmlands, estates, gold, the best herds of horses and much more. Yesterday, I was at his court. I said that I did not need those things. I only wanted to make sure that my family was looked after when I was gone.  I declared him my retirement as Vizier, as my work is done. He refused to accept it. I told him that my life was drawing to a close and that I wished to die in my grandfather’s garden, here” Jamshed said.

Zavareh stared at his uncle. He felt something in his throat and tears started filling his eyes.
Jamshed ignored him and said: “To that, the Great King said to me, in front of all those nobles:

“Our most kind father, for you are like a second one to us, it should have been yours, this throne upon which we sit with vanity.” The nobles murmured in awe at this statement, but Shah Khusraw continued: “It pains us to see you with your hair grey and your body weakened by old age. It pains us that you do not accept your due from the spoils of success and it pains us that you wish to leave us in your final hours.  But we shall leave you to your wisdom. Take this Robe of Honor, like the Viziers of old, as a reminder for your offspring. Your family will be looked after according to your wishes. We will not distinguish them from our own household in closeness to our favor. We wished for you that you would see the re-conquest of all of ancient Sarranshahr from the hands of the unjust. But alas, it was not decreed. Do you have one last word of advice, Jamshed the Wise?”

I saw that he was withholding his tears barely. Then I said: “My king, I advise you to rule like a man, not a king. If you remain a king, cold in all his splendor, you will only be king of the ones who receive  weekly pay. But if you remain just a man at heart, you will be king over all the people’s hearts.” Then I left, leaving my duties to my second son, your cousin Ramzi”

Zavareh wiped the tears off his face. He had never realized that his uncle was too old to live much longer.
“Do not be sad that I leave you, Zavareh”, Jamshed said, smiling and petting his nephew’s head.
“If I did not leave, how would I meet you in the next world? I will wait for you there and we will have many more fruits and drinks and we can talk about your adventures. Warriors don’t cry but for glory, Zavareh. You will become stronger”

Stand Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Sit Down
I'd rather put an emoticon version, but there's no such thing.
There goes the history. Another WHITE nation added.

A surprisingly idealistic story in the universe of the Calradian meatgrinder. Bravo, a very entertaining read.

Although I wonder about the situation of the western satrapies under Lion Throne control. Is Sarranshahr vying with the LT? Have they proclaimed war or is it a kind of "cold war"?

FuryFire said:
Stand Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Sit Down
I'd rather put an emoticon version, but there's no such thing.
There goes the history. Another WHITE nation added.
Bard said:
A surprisingly idealistic story in the universe of the Calradian meatgrinder. Bravo, a very entertaining read.

I thank thee gentlemen for thy words of praise.

It seems that I cannot stop myself from depicting the people in the lore as they see themselves.
Sorry for the  old school "good vs bad" again, but I think it's in my nature to write like that. I'm an idealist so this way the good side always wins. Nice trick, eh? :wink:

Everyone in my lore (except Symmachus the Retired) is quick to acknowledge and chant about their own virtues while remaining silent about their vices and I think this is human nature too, however much the TEATRC board desires the purest of evil for every faction. o_O

Bard said:
Although I wonder about the situation of the western satrapies under Lion Throne control. Is Sarranshahr vying with the LT? Have they proclaimed war or is it a kind of "cold war"?

They have taken advantage from the Khergits invading the LT. In this chaos they were able to break free. Now that there is a cease-fire again(if the LT wished to counterattack, a Sarranid faction would not be possible, since the LT would want Sarran to conquer the Khergits) the LT is allowing Sarran to exist as a buffer state. They figure that the Horde will have enough trouble subduing them again to keep them busy. The idea would be that the LT does not like to spread Filaharnism to Khergit lands yet, because of the fact that , when invading, the Khergits have the advantage of being able to field horse-archer-only armies who can retreat and counter-attack almost indefinitely. Such a conquest would be too tedious finish and the rewards of ruling over a nomadic people would be too small. Just made that up.

Sarran may wish to dominate those regions once more, but only the Player Character *insert your character's name* stands a chance to best the Brigade and restore Sarranshahr to its rightful glory!!!
Write your own history, Ride into Legend, with the Shah's daughter!
The fate of Sarranshahr! In stores this fall!
[excited child voice] PLAYSTATION TWOOO!! [/excited child voice]

oh my, did I mix things up..

I was delving into my documents when I found another treasure (I have the habit of hiding away my original works in obscure places), and thus I present...

The Gray Brotherhood

I swear and pray, by the almighty Pope and Divine Filaharn,

To defend and die for His people, the faithful,

To defend and die for His lands, the Lion Throne,

And most of all, to defend and die for the will of His sovereign, the Pope

By this oath I swear to stand by the faith unto my dying day,

By this oath I swear to convert or punish those who do not swear,

By the almighty faith of our Pope and Filaharn

This oath I swear to the Pope, and most of all to Filaharn,

That I may die and be purged of my faith if I turn from the righteous faith in our Pope and Filaharn.

There was a low-level of chat emanating from the room. It was a rectangular room. Seats were filled with a different assortment of peoples and were conveyed in a semi-circular manner in front of a raised platform, where three men were conversing lightly. One of them was sporting a uniform bearing the Swadian Imperial Eagle, another wielding the Laurian cross while the other, the man in the highest platform, was sporting a rather feathery hat and a top that had messy and colourful sleeves. They all seemed to be speaking in the same language, as all three would be found nodding every few seconds. Suddenly, after a few minutes, the man in the colourful clothing stood up.

“Settle down then,” the man said in a Swadian. The delegates settled down in their seats, looking at the man speaking in front of them. “You all know why you are here. For those of you who have not listened to the earlier discussions, I shall repeat it for you.”

“Repeat nothing!” shouted a man, standing and being recognized. People would have mistaken him for a Filaharnist if it weren’t for the fact that he was wearing the traditional clothing of the Nirdamese. “The Nirdamese have never been affected by the so-called ‘scourge of Calradia’.” Another man from the other side of the room, a Vaegir, judging from his clothing, stood up.

“Nirdamese pig!” spat the Vaegir. “You see the trouble of having brought one of their kind here? They will not cooperate if it does not suit their own needs”

“And you have only cooperated for the pleasure of the Tsar, svoloch,” spat back the Nirdamese. The Vaegir was about to charge the Nirdamese before a man beside him, another Vaegir, pushed him back into his seat. The Nirdamese was also pushed back into his seat by two other Nirdamese sitting beside him.”

“Quiet!” shouted the Swadian, shooting off a pistol in the air for silence. “We all know the difficulties of joining so many peoples in one roof, but you must all know of our common goal. You must all forget pride and identity now that you under our roof.”

The Laurian stood up and decided to talk for himself. The whole room was quiet, as they were surprised that a non-Calradian was allowed in the hall, as no Haelmarian agreed to join the meeting.

“I am as surprised as you are to know that I am here,” he spoke this in Swadian, as all of the people have agreed to use Swadian as their official language. “But know that the Lion Throne pose as a bigger threat to you than Queen Imelda.”

“You aliens took Wercheg from our rightful hands!” shouted the Vaegir, standing up.

“They took Tihr from us, do you hear me complaining?” answered the Imperial Swadian, remaining in his seat and eyeing the Vaegir.

“You took away our freedom!” a Bermianese shouted, standing, waving his hand, balled up in a fist, at the Laurian. “The Bermianese people have been dominated by aliens!”

“If the Lion Throne comes to your lands, Bermianese, they will destroy Bermian,” answered the Laurian, his voice growing louder.

“To hell with you and the Lion Throne. We have never met the Lion Throne, you are our greatest threat in this room! The Lion Throne cannot cross the Obello!”

“WE crossed the Obello, Bermian. Why do you think the Lion Throne won’t be able to?”

“Silence!” shouted the Swadian, in a huge effort, as his Imperial counterpart shot off another blast from another pistol. “We are not here representing your Kings. We are here on our own accord in an attempt to take control of the situation, which Calradia refuses to accept.”

“And what situation is that?” asks the Bermianese, still standing.

“That if the Lion Throne reaches the Obello, life – as we know it – will end. This means worse than slavery. If the Lion Throne were here they would end your life in a way that is worse than death. Compared to the Lion Throne the Laurians are tamed hares, brother Bermianese.”

“And if the Bermianese do not give their support? What then?” The room was quiet for a bit, as the Bermianese returned to his seat.

The Imperial Swadian stood up, intent on speaking for his Swadian brother, who had been breathing heavily for a while. “Then we shall all perish. Not just the Bermianese. All of Calradia, and all across the Obello shall burn to the ground!”

“Perhaps it would be better if we continued on to business,” said the Ormeli, standing up and being recognized.

“Brother Ormeli, you and you alone are here to represent a King. In this case, the Padishah,” said the Imperial Swadian, being courteous to his guest. “Other than myself, of course, but the Kaiser deems it undermining his rights as Kaiser to have himself represented in an underground meeting.”

“Yes, well. Moving on to business then?” asked the Ormeli, clapping his hands twice as a signal for two men dressed in plain gray robes who came forward to carry a table in front of the raised platform while two more men dressed in the same robes brought a large wooden chest, which they placed on the table. The Ormeli opened the box, and in it was a model of what looked like a small bombard, beside it was a very tiny model of a man. “This, Brothers is a small model of what will be a monstrous machine.”

He raised the cannon from the box, showing it to all present. “How big is the cannon?” said an unseen voice from the crowd.
“Well, Brother, why don’t we look at the model of a man beside the cannon. The Ormeli held up the man, no smaller than the fingernails of his index finger beside the cannon, which he held up on his right hand. The room went silent, amidst small murmurs. “We must thank our Nirdamese Brother, Ishmael Hazak, for recovering such a fine model.” He gestured towards the Nirdamese in question, who was sitting beside the other Nirdamese who shouted his outrage at the Vaegir. “Brother Ishmael, come here and explain further to our friends the effects of this cannon, as the facts are unclear to me as well.”

“Certainly, Brother Ormeli,” said Ishmael as the Ormeli stood aside. The Vaegir made a small sound which sounded like a grumble, and the two Nirdamese beside Ishmael gave the Vaegir a cold look, which the Vaegir returned. “It is called the Aurora Cannon. It was made by captured gunpowder scientists from the Imperial State, from bombard makers from the Ormeli, city engineers from Swadia and other experts from across the Lion Throne. I have met many of them, and if I had killed one of them, ten other engineers from the Lion Throne would fight for the dead man’s position in the team creating the Aurora Cannon. To the Throne, this is not a weapon of fear, but a weapon encompassing the glory and divinity of the Lion Throne – no, no, of the Pope.` From the high hills of Lerna, the people working on it estimate it could bombard the walls of Vienna and Nibelheim.

“Dear Brothers, I am no strategist. I do not have a conceived plan that will be able to destroy the cannon, as it is only near completion and its location is deep within the Lion Throne.” The room went completely quiet as Ishmael finished talking. He and the Ormeli were looking at the cannon on the table.

“Brother Swadians, do either of you have a map of the Lion Throne?” asked the Ormeli, looking up at the two Swadians who were also silent.

“It’s rolled up,” said the Imperial Swadian, pointing to his upper right, on the wall of the room. There hung what looked like a rolled up piece of parchment. He looked to his Swadian brother. “Ten denars, brother?”

“Make it twenty,” said the Swadian, passing his brother a loaded pistol. Another loud bang and the map unrolled on the wall. The Swadian groaned, but went back to a serious tone as Ishmael went to the map on the wall.

“It’s there,” Ishmael pointed to a place on the map. “In the old lands of the Kingdom of Rama, just south of the only part of the Lion Throne lands I have not been able to enter: the Pope’s holy city. The Throne’s great forges lie there. If it weren’t for... some connections in that area, I wouldn’t be standing here today.”

“Looks like a long journey,” said the Ormeli, going next to Ishmael. “Brother Vor, do you have a chapter near that area?”

A Vaegir next to the one who had an outburst stood up and went to the map with the other two. “Our nearest chapter is in the Lowlands. We have chapters in Ptia, Mylesia and Gunther-Piedmont,” said the Vaegir, as he pointed out the locations on the map.”

“Il Duce,” said the Ormeli, “what connections have you?”

“We have a family in the Lowlands; they are connected to the Highlands, and they are then connected to Murond, which is then connected to us, in Eridania.”

“Sabotage?” asked the Laurian.

“Sabotage, brother Laurian.”

It's unfinished as well, so whatever.

Very interesting read, nice work! It doesn't matter that you didn't finish it, the fact that it has been attempted is enough, because we all know they failed to do it  :smile:

Yay, a sabotage attempt. How about we throw several more in?  :grin:

Tib's no longer here to support the Filaharnist Scum, so time for me to delve into lore writing again... no, not cheese.

Hey hey... watch out Suitenev, my other persona is a Filaharn Loving Scum.  :evil: :evil: :evil:

On another note: you'd best update the lore compilation or you're going to have a hard time digging stuff. If you want I could remind you.  :mrgreen:

Boomie said:
I was delving into my documents when I found another treasure (I have the habit of hiding away my original works in obscure places), and thus I present...

The Gray Brotherhood

I swear and pray, by the almighty Pope and Divine Filaharn,

To defend and die for His people, the faithful,

To defend and die for His lands, the Lion Throne,

And most of all, to defend and die for the will of His sovereign, the Pope

By this oath I swear to stand by the faith unto my dying day,

By this oath I swear to convert or punish those who do not swear,

By the almighty faith of our Pope and Filaharn

This oath I swear to the Pope, and most of all to Filaharn,

That I may die and be purged of my faith if I turn from the righteous faith in our Pope and Filaharn.

There was a low-level of chat emanating from the room. It was a rectangular room. Seats were filled with a different assortment of peoples and were conveyed in a semi-circular manner in front of a raised platform, where three men were conversing lightly. One of them was sporting a uniform bearing the Swadian Imperial Eagle, another wielding the Laurian cross while the other, the man in the highest platform, was sporting a rather feathery hat and a top that had messy and colourful sleeves. They all seemed to be speaking in the same language, as all three would be found nodding every few seconds. Suddenly, after a few minutes, the man in the colourful clothing stood up.

“Settle down then,” the man said in a Swadian. The delegates settled down in their seats, looking at the man speaking in front of them. “You all know why you are here. For those of you who have not listened to the earlier discussions, I shall repeat it for you.”

“Repeat nothing!” shouted a man, standing and being recognized. People would have mistaken him for a Filaharnist if it weren’t for the fact that he was wearing the traditional clothing of the Nirdamese. “The Nirdamese have never been affected by the so-called ‘scourge of Calradia’.” Another man from the other side of the room, a Vaegir, judging from his clothing, stood up.

“Nirdamese pig!” spat the Vaegir. “You see the trouble of having brought one of their kind here? They will not cooperate if it does not suit their own needs”

“And you have only cooperated for the pleasure of the Tsar, svoloch,” spat back the Nirdamese. The Vaegir was about to charge the Nirdamese before a man beside him, another Vaegir, pushed him back into his seat. The Nirdamese was also pushed back into his seat by two other Nirdamese sitting beside him.”

“Quiet!” shouted the Swadian, shooting off a pistol in the air for silence. “We all know the difficulties of joining so many peoples in one roof, but you must all know of our common goal. You must all forget pride and identity now that you under our roof.”

The Laurian stood up and decided to talk for himself. The whole room was quiet, as they were surprised that a non-Calradian was allowed in the hall, as no Haelmarian agreed to join the meeting.

“I am as surprised as you are to know that I am here,” he spoke this in Swadian, as all of the people have agreed to use Swadian as their official language. “But know that the Lion Throne pose as a bigger threat to you than Queen Imelda.”

“You aliens took Wercheg from our rightful hands!” shouted the Vaegir, standing up.

“They took Tihr from us, do you hear me complaining?” answered the Imperial Swadian, remaining in his seat and eyeing the Vaegir.

“You took away our freedom!” a Bermianese shouted, standing, waving his hand, balled up in a fist, at the Laurian. “The Bermianese people have been dominated by aliens!”

“If the Lion Throne comes to your lands, Bermianese, they will destroy Bermian,” answered the Laurian, his voice growing louder.

“To hell with you and the Lion Throne. We have never met the Lion Throne, you are our greatest threat in this room! The Lion Throne cannot cross the Obello!”

“WE crossed the Obello, Bermian. Why do you think the Lion Throne won’t be able to?”

“Silence!” shouted the Swadian, in a huge effort, as his Imperial counterpart shot off another blast from another pistol. “We are not here representing your Kings. We are here on our own accord in an attempt to take control of the situation, which Calradia refuses to accept.”

“And what situation is that?” asks the Bermianese, still standing.

“That if the Lion Throne reaches the Obello, life – as we know it – will end. This means worse than slavery. If the Lion Throne were here they would end your life in a way that is worse than death. Compared to the Lion Throne the Laurians are tamed hares, brother Bermianese.”

“And if the Bermianese do not give their support? What then?” The room was quiet for a bit, as the Bermianese returned to his seat.

The Imperial Swadian stood up, intent on speaking for his Swadian brother, who had been breathing heavily for a while. “Then we shall all perish. Not just the Bermianese. All of Calradia, and all across the Obello shall burn to the ground!”

“Perhaps it would be better if we continued on to business,” said the Ormeli, standing up and being recognized.

“Brother Ormeli, you and you alone are here to represent a King. In this case, the Padishah,” said the Imperial Swadian, being courteous to his guest. “Other than myself, of course, but the Kaiser deems it undermining his rights as Kaiser to have himself represented in an underground meeting.”

“Yes, well. Moving on to business then?” asked the Ormeli, clapping his hands twice as a signal for two men dressed in plain gray robes who came forward to carry a table in front of the raised platform while two more men dressed in the same robes brought a large wooden chest, which they placed on the table. The Ormeli opened the box, and in it was a model of what looked like a small bombard, beside it was a very tiny model of a man. “This, Brothers is a small model of what will be a monstrous machine.”

He raised the cannon from the box, showing it to all present. “How big is the cannon?” said an unseen voice from the crowd.
“Well, Brother, why don’t we look at the model of a man beside the cannon. The Ormeli held up the man, no smaller than the fingernails of his index finger beside the cannon, which he held up on his right hand. The room went silent, amidst small murmurs. “We must thank our Nirdamese Brother, Ishmael Hazak, for recovering such a fine model.” He gestured towards the Nirdamese in question, who was sitting beside the other Nirdamese who shouted his outrage at the Vaegir. “Brother Ishmael, come here and explain further to our friends the effects of this cannon, as the facts are unclear to me as well.”

“Certainly, Brother Ormeli,” said Ishmael as the Ormeli stood aside. The Vaegir made a small sound which sounded like a grumble, and the two Nirdamese beside Ishmael gave the Vaegir a cold look, which the Vaegir returned. “It is called the Aurora Cannon. It was made by captured gunpowder scientists from the Imperial State, from bombard makers from the Ormeli, city engineers from Swadia and other experts from across the Lion Throne. I have met many of them, and if I had killed one of them, ten other engineers from the Lion Throne would fight for the dead man’s position in the team creating the Aurora Cannon. To the Throne, this is not a weapon of fear, but a weapon encompassing the glory and divinity of the Lion Throne – no, no, of the Pope.` From the high hills of Lerna, the people working on it estimate it could bombard the walls of Vienna and Nibelheim.

“Dear Brothers, I am no strategist. I do not have a conceived plan that will be able to destroy the cannon, as it is only near completion and its location is deep within the Lion Throne.” The room went completely quiet as Ishmael finished talking. He and the Ormeli were looking at the cannon on the table.

“Brother Swadians, do either of you have a map of the Lion Throne?” asked the Ormeli, looking up at the two Swadians who were also silent.

“It’s rolled up,” said the Imperial Swadian, pointing to his upper right, on the wall of the room. There hung what looked like a rolled up piece of parchment. He looked to his Swadian brother. “Ten denars, brother?”

“Make it twenty,” said the Swadian, passing his brother a loaded pistol. Another loud bang and the map unrolled on the wall. The Swadian groaned, but went back to a serious tone as Ishmael went to the map on the wall.

“It’s there,” Ishmael pointed to a place on the map. “In the old lands of the Kingdom of Rama, just south of the only part of the Lion Throne lands I have not been able to enter: the Pope’s holy city. The Throne’s great forges lie there. If it weren’t for... some connections in that area, I wouldn’t be standing here today.”

“Looks like a long journey,” said the Ormeli, going next to Ishmael. “Brother Vor, do you have a chapter near that area?”

A Vaegir next to the one who had an outburst stood up and went to the map with the other two. “Our nearest chapter is in the Lowlands. We have chapters in Ptia, Mylesia and Gunther-Piedmont,” said the Vaegir, as he pointed out the locations on the map.”

“Il Duce,” said the Ormeli, “what connections have you?”

“We have a family in the Lowlands; they are connected to the Highlands, and they are then connected to Murond, which is then connected to us, in Eridania.”

“Sabotage?” asked the Laurian.

“Sabotage, brother Laurian.”

It's unfinished as well, so whatever.

Very good work !  :grin: . It's a shame that then they failed , I wanted to see those son of a ***** of the Lion Throne crying  :grin:

Regards

Heya, just stopped by to share a little story about Haelmar to counter all of Venitius cheesiness:

Six laurian soldiers lay in the ground, their hands and legs tied. They were mostly unharmed. The hackapells stood around them celebrating their victory in the skirmish. The haelmarian Captain of the hackapell squad walked to the first laurian of the row and asked him about other laurian troops whereabouts. The laurian was a young man. Scared from head to toe he gave all the information he knew. Then the captain drew a dull small blade from his belt, grabbed the soldier by his hair and proceed to behead him. Starting from the the front of the neck he slowly sewed it until he felt the trachea collapsing, then he let the hair go.  The young man made strange noises as he swung his arms and legs around, while his head was still. With a kick the captain turned him around so that the half dead boy faced the sky. He laid there, blood dripping from his neck. The other 5 shared the same fate, hackapells betting and playing games to see who would have the "honor" of beheading the next one.
It had been the first series of beheading in 15 years. It was a common practice along the haelmarian cavalry, but Queen Margaret had banned it, deeming it inhuman.
Beheadings were a common way of execution not only in Haelmar, but in Lauria, Bermian and Calradia aswell. The southeners preferred flaying. However, unlike the rest, hackapells used dull knives. They did not aim for a swift strike to the back of the neck. They slowly sewed the front, letting the unlucky victim live for as long as his body allowed to. Blood spurt from the upper body, while the body tried to breath and sent air trough the severed trachea, causing disturbing noises the hackapells called "pigscreams".

In this particular occasion a Berthe priest was watching the execution. He fainted and had to be taken to his tent. Later he wrote a letter to Crown Prince Iohan Eirik depicting the event:

"...after the fourth one was put to the knife the first one of the group started to move, much to the surprise of the soldiers. He raised his arms and it seemed he tried to touch his face, which was white from all the bloodloss and almost separated from the body, only a thin line of muscle and nerves holding them together. A hackapell shouted something which I could not understand, and the eyes of the beheaded laurian turned to him. The hackapell almost fell to the ground from the shock (...) my Prince, for all that is holy, you cannot allow this kind of brutal behavior to continue, lest we become the devil's army, and not the bringers of light (...) remember your mother's wishes..."

Upon receiving the letter, Prince Eirik called his master scribe, commanded him to translate it to laurian, added a few notes and sent it to Queen Imelda of Lauria with the following introduction:

"Your most gracious Queen Imelda of Lauria (...) let it be know that any laurian soldier or laurian ally that enters our territory shall have the same fate as this six grunts of yours (...) I have no sympathy for them for I am sure they now rot in hell."

Well, every faction is supposed to be dark (told you its warhammerish)

Here's something before I go to bed. I'm kinda stuck in a battle scene at FoV and its very difficult to write duel scenes.

Faithless Fire
Mondo bit a green apple as he brooded silently in his command tent. Beside him stood his aide, holding a tray laden with fruits as well as a cup of water, standing silent and steady as a statue. To one side of his tent, a priest kneels in continuous prayer in front of Mondo's weapon, Brunhild. The burning incense on each corner of the room added further to the solemn mood. Mondo looked at three small parchments laid out on a table at the center of the room. He was interrupted when the drapes covering the entrance opened, letting in some sunlight.

It was Holofernes, "My Lord Deva, the tinkers are here." Holofernes, let three men enter the tent, they bowed their heads before continuing any further.
The food Mondo was chewing on suddenly became bitter and he spat it out to one side and threw the apple he was holding as well. The aide cleaned it up at once with alacrity, as if the floor of the First Deva's command tent was as sacred as the Pope's throne room.

"Explain to me this." Mondo gestured to the parchments on the table, his tone clearly angry.
The three men looked at the parchment, which were reports of the Aurora Cannon's firing. Then they looked nervously at each other. Looking answers from each other. Mondo continuously glared down on them. They were the tinkers, whom represent the Aurora Cannon, that have joined the army to besiege the heathen city of Vienna.

When no one answered, Mondo continued his tirade.
"You promised me the destruction of those city walls!" "But all I have is..."
Mondo threw the first parchment at the Ormeli alchemist named Sanjar, "A crater miles away from Vienna!"
He flicked the second parchment at the Swadian metallurgist named Gearhart, "...A decimated wheat field from a town called... called...."
"Tahlberl" interjected Holofernes, and realizing his intrusion he added, "my lord."

Then Mondo flicked the last parchment at the Piedmontese polymath named Gaussman "...and a destroyed supply caravan!"

Mondo slammed both his fists at the table at the last statement to make his point. He hated losing men out of battle, even if they were just support staff.

One of the tinkers, Gaussman, finally strengthened his resolve, what little of it.
"My... my lord, its is difficult to... to hit the target at the first try. There are just too many factors that could affect it, wind strength, the precise gunpowder used, there is even one theory that, the earth is moving, that it affects our previous aim... What I'm saying is we need more time to..."

"Bah! Don't trifle me with your excuses! You said it will open a breach at the city walls when we start the siege. But what date is it? Two weeks, and what?!"

Then the ormeli Sanjar replied "But my lord deva, please, think of it as a giant cannon, its not always accurate..."

Holofernes, whom was standing behind the meeting, gasped inwardly at the tinker's insolence.
In an eye blink, Mondo's right fist slammed at the ormeli's face, knocking him down. The two other tinkers took a step back in fear. Holofernes, stiffled a smile. The Ormeli quickly prostated himself at the realization of his disrespect.
"A thousand pardons, my great lord deva. Please forgive and spare me." his Ormeli upbringing still evident despite his conversion.

"Time... Time is something that we do not have." brooded Mondo, "In two or more weeks, winter will come, and maybe in a week, the swadians might have assembled and send in reinforcements. I need that breach!"

It was true, the Calradian Crusaders' numbers have dwindled since the last two sieges of Vienna. Even the brigades and auxiliary companies that recently arrived along with the final pieces of the Aurora cannon were barely enough to bring Mondo's expedition to its full numbers. Even scraping the few fit ellisians to war was not enough. The Lion Throne army is still big enough to besiege Vienna though, but at the promise that it could actually breach it, unlike the previous two sieges, where the crusaders were beaten in a field battle outside Vienna by reinforcements from Marienburg and Ulm.

Mondo knows, that if he could just breach the city, he could destroy the morale of all swadians, discouraging them from pursuing a retaliation at so late a season. If a breached could not be made, nothing can. And Mondo could not call off the siege either, for it will blow what little morale his army has, and give the swadians renewed hope. Not to mention his final disgrace from the Pope.

"How long until it is ready to fire?" asked Mondo
"Tomorrow morning, my lord." replied Gearhart
"You have one last chance, fail me again and I'll have you three executed, understand!"
The three tinkers nodded in fear. Before Mondo could dismiss them, someone suddenly burst into the tent.

It was Sir Izlude the Ascended "First Deva, I had a vision of the most urgent matter."
Mondo's raised an eyebrow, Sir Izlude was called "the Ascended" for his piety and lately, disturbingly accurate dreams of what is to come.
"Speak." ordered Mondo
"I've had a dream. It was the Aurora. In my dream, it fired again, and I saw it, not destroy the heathen's walls, but our great armies outside its walls."
Mondo glared at the three tinkers.
"Then, the dream repeated. But this time, the Aurora's shot was guided by the hands of Filaharn itself. and it destroyed the city in one blast!"

Mondo rubbed his chin, thinking. Then he turned to the tinkers, "Have you observed proper pre-battle rituals? The catechism of war?"
The tinkers gave him a puzzled look. Mondo's rage began to rise again, but he kept it in check.
Gaussman answered, "The Aurora's body and shots have been blessed by sacred oils everyday my lord deva."

"But you forgot the rituals to initiate Filaharn's blessings. Just because you think you've created a weapon of great power doesn't grant you power greater than Filaharn himself. You disgust me! The Aurora is Filaharn's weapon, and only he can wield it."

Mondo motioned to the priest to rise. The priest stopped his prayer and bowed his head.
"Get the high priestess," ordered Mondo "Tell her to go back to Lerna and bless the Aurora cannon. Tell her to recite every litany and catechism of war before they fire it tomorrow. From the Litany of War to the Catechism of Purging. Understand? Now go."

The priest nodded, and scurried off.

Mondo clasped Sir Izludes shoulders. "Thank you for your warning, my friend."
Then he turned to the tinkers, "Your lack of faith disgusts me. Confess yourselves to the High Priestess before she leaves, and pray that Filaharn hears your plea for tomorrow. Now leave."

Back
Top Bottom