TEATRC tribute & universe expansion

Users who are viewing this thread

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
nizyn said:
Ormeli will beat LT and IS, indeed  :smile: But, I saw some winged hussar's screenshots. Can i know, when they will be relased? I wanna smash those Ormeli idiots, for crashing my beautiful, the best in the world Imperial army...  :twisted:

Well if they crashed it, it evidently wasn't best in the world.

I was about to post that exact sentence, good call.

Jackamo said:
nizyn said:
Ormeli will beat LT and IS, indeed  :smile: But, I saw some winged hussar's screenshots. Can i know, when they will be relased? I wanna smash those Ormeli idiots, for crashing my beautiful, the best in the world Imperial army...  :twisted:

It was probably the best before the best Oremlli army took it out.

Well if they took it out, then the Ormeli army would have to be superior to the IS army, so, logically, the IS army would not be the best in the world.

Here's a mini-guide from someone who almost never played against the Ormeli but played many times as them.

I do think that while the Ormeli don't have the strongest troops(and don't have many shields), they are the most versatile and resilient because :

Whenever faced with strong infantry, they can use janissaries coupled with voynik slashing power and cavalry to flank.

Whenever faced with strong firearm units or bowmen, their strong cavalry can act as a shield and keep them busy while your voyniks and janissaries are moving in. Be sure to let your cavalry charge first, of course.

Whenever faced with strong cavalry, the Ormeli's own cavalry can do a pretty decent job at dispatching them with the assistance of any other infantry even peasant infantry (because they have bows and shields)

So from this you can understand that if you have to fight against the Ormeli, your best bet is to have a good mix of troop types and always go for the janissaries and the peasant infantry like Yayas first. Because if you don't you'll end up chasing those Sipahis and Akinjis while these troops who are relatively weak in melee will keep firing volleys at your own infantry. The Ormeli infantry are the weakest against cavalry and archers. So you should use your anti-cavalry infantry(do pikemen actually work?) to take on their initial cavalry charge and use your main damage dealers on their infantry.

Or something. So basically thats all you need to know.

When I play as the Ormeli I always make sure I kill off the archers/gunners first personally with my band of cavalry, then I loose my one shot of the Hand Cannon on the infantry formation aiming to kill off  standard bearers, then I help my infantry to fight off the cavalry who by that time would be all over my infantry lines. Lastly I focus on the heavy infantry.(this mainly against LT)

nizyn said:

Well, it was, before they smashed me  :smile:. Now, I must gather new army to took my CSO (Caladia's Skirmish Organisation. Or something.) Champion's Belt back from those three Ormeli lords...  :twisted:

do pikemen actually work
I checked it out already. I gathered 40 Coseletes and 4 Laurian standart bearers. After the first battle, near the mountain pass on Swadian and Ormeli border, in battle 50vs65 i actually won, but only 10 or 15 of my men managed to get alive from there, all knocked unconscious. Ormeli horse archers were the big problem. Somehow i shotted them all, but, before they died, they managed to kill few of my men. Anyway, when those 30 raiders were dead, Ormeli infantry came. THAT was the biggest problem. It is hard to kill man with sabre when using very long pike.
So... do anyone knows, when the version with Grand Duchy will be relased?

Soon enough, me and DSparil are exchanging maps and it is time consuming.
The map has some tweakings left to make it look more natural but it is more or less done.

Hang in there.

Corvid said:
Soon enough, me and DSparil are exchanging maps and it is time consuming.
The map has some tweakings left to make it look more natural but it is more or less done.

Hang in there.

Yay!!! Woot!!! etc etc... (I'm actually looking forward to it if anyone is thinking otherwise due to my "etc etc...").

Pretty sure he means the Grand Duchy, one of the new factions to be released on the next version.  :grin:

Servitor said:
Oh jolly.

Ehrm, where can I get myself some more information on this Duchy-thing?
eatrchussars.jpg

Those ones?

You can search about at the forum, you'll find its and bits of info here and there. They're basically Polish-like, if you didnt already know.

Enough small talk people, I think it's time for some Lore again. I've never been much of a writer but I'll still keep you waiting by telling you now I've got another story coming soon. So keep an eye out, will ya..

Holy damn.

eatrchussars.jpg

Is that a winged hussar wearing heavy armour and a Roman helmet?  :shock: Okay, end them. Now. They shall be the first to die by my Radiants. They shall!

Venitius said:
Kind of a shame that Jan has "disappeared" since March. The "lore boom" (Or whatever) has kind of died down since then..
Jan is the artist right? He doesn't make that much lore as much as he immortalises already existing lore.

Renaissance!

475px-POL_CoA_Orlicasvg.png

The Grand Ducal House of Rurik-Orla

The Grand Ducal House of Rurik-Orla came from the union of the Ducal House of Orla and the separatist Rurik nobility of the Vaegir Tsars. The Ruriks hail from south-east of the old Vaegir puppet of Zenislev. For years the Ruriks have aimed to gain the throne of Zenislev, were it not for their Vaegir masters, the Ruriks would most likely have accomplished. When the throne of Zenislev was merged with the Dual Monarchy of the Vaegir and the Nirdamese crowns, the Ruriks were helpless. To help save their few lands, the youngest daughter of the head of the House of Rurik, Yelisavet Sergeyovich Rurik, was arranged to marry the youngest prince of the Grand Duchy, Adamcyzk Orla of the House of Orla. They were made to marry in the fields bordering the Rurik Principality and the Grand Duchy, making sure no interruption would come, for conspirators from Zenislev were rumoured to have gotten wind of the union. The marrage, however, had no interruption. Though many passers-by were seen around the plains, they were thought to be no more than pathfinders and lord-less cossacks.

Wesele_Kozackie.jpg

The marriage was a successful one, Yelisavet and Adamcyzk conceived three boys, ready to be the unifying factor of the Ruriks and the Orlas. Though, at first, The Ruriks and the Orlas thought to keep the marriage secret, though the location of the marriage could have done nothing but deter their plans. Wind of the union had come to Zenislev, and the Vaegir nobles now sent threats to the Ruriks to stop the union by denying them lands in Zenislev. To counter this, the Grand Duchy annexed the Rurik lands in the territories of the Vaegir, making any attempt to retake the Rurik lands would mean war with the Grand Duchy. Zenislev was ready for this, but the Dual Monarchy's King-Emperor, Leiss, had no wind of this secret conspiracy. Zenislev was hoarding peasants and serfs from their lands secretly to be trained for the Zenislev army.

For years, Zenislev had been conspiring to overthrow the Ruriks before their official union, when the eldest son of Yelisavet and Adamcyzk turned of age at 15, which gave Zenislev merely nine months to take control of the Ruriks. Sadly, time was against them. Before the Zenislev army was ready to take the Ruriks, the Laurians invaded from the north, and had marched onto Wercheg. Zenislev had been called to serve in the armies of the Dual Monarchy, totally destroying the years of Zenislev's plots against the Ruriks.

Unia_Lubelska.JPG

With the merging of the two houses complete, the Grand Ducal House of Rurik-Orla had been formally established. And with the death of King-Emperor Leiss, many separatists who do not wish to side with the self-proclaimed Tsar, Feodor, had run to the Rurik lands, most of them Nirdamese nobles who had escaped persecution from the Vaegirs, others, Vaegir nobles who wished to claim the throne themselves. The Rurik-Orlas, now formally members of the Grand Duchy, accepted the new nobles with open arms, better to help expand their lands and gain an upper hand against Zenislev and the newly formed Vaegir Tsardom.

Yay! Renaissance! Good work.

Servitor said:
Venitius said:
Kind of a shame that Jan has "disappeared" since March. The "lore boom" (Or whatever) has kind of died down since then..
Jan is the artist right? He doesn't make that much lore as much as he immortalises already existing lore.
Well he did kind of "start" the lore boom off, with the ships, the Union and the Duchy, the artworks, the map of the EATRC world etc.

Great work Boomie, and a nice presentation too.

Here is my story, don't be shy to comment

Symmachus the Retired and the End of the World

Prologue: Turning my back

“Enough of this pointless madness” I had said at the height of my career as general of the 17th legion. I was a good friend of the Emperor and he knew well that he had to let me go now. With my help, the Ellis Empire had reached its zenith and now all of it didn't make sense to me anymore. I had blindly believed that the order of the world was determined by some pantheon of Gods with each their own weaknesses. I used to think that the strong had the unquestionable right to oppress and exploit the weak.  So how different are the Gods then from the men if they fall for the same temptations? No more. But it is not simply a matter of faith that drove me out of this worldly life of fame and riches. I am not the youngest anymore, having served for 25 years in the army since my early manhood. As years pass, something inside me tells me that there is more to life than whatever can be achieved by war or treachery at court. That is the reason I wanted to retire. People shunned me for retiring before the final blow was dealt to our remaining enemies. They figured that I must be succumbing to the fear of death now that I was getting older. They really know nothing. That's why I left the people at court to their illusions and set out to get to know this world and maybe search for its truths. Glory had been mine until then, but I wouldn't accept glory anymore if a big, fat lie was in glory's package.

Chapter I: Me, myself and I

Whatever they might tell you about the hardships of traveling and the dangers that you encounter, don't believe them. It's fourty times worse. Bandits, brigands, thieves, poachers, murderers, charlatans and downright crazy men. They'll all be your ever-faithful companions. Never travel alone, unless you want to die or you are as crazy as me. I had a few tricks of my own up my sleeve. I had a way with words, money, horses, brains and sharpened steel among other things. Initially I did not fair well but after a some bad experiences with suspiciously attractive women, seemingly poor old men and the occasional not-so-helpless-after-all orphan, I finally got used to avoiding trouble. Calradia before the rise of Ellis, the land of never ending blood, seemed like a land of fairy tales in comparison to what I've seen. Anyway, you get the picture.

I had lost my beloved wife Elenore to an incurable disease that had also soon taken away her fertility, but I never stopped loving her even if she was unable to grant me the joy of fatherhood. I had spent my years looking after her, nursing her day and night. But in the end she had left this plane to meet the Creator, whoever he may be. I bear no grudges anymore against the driving force which sets all  fates in motion, for I had long figured out that a man who bears grudges and rebels against the twists of fate, is indeed a lost man, a nobody. I just wish I had somebody to share my everything with. That person wouldn't be able to endure me and the demons that haunt me in my dreams, though. So now you know that I had nobody with me on my journey. Nobody to take care of and nobody who would take care of me.

Chapter II: New Dawns and Dusks

I kept on going and going. As I passed through places of beauty and splendor but also places horror and destruction, it were the people living in them who made me think in awe. “What kind of world was I born into?” is one of the questions I asked myself all the time. Diversity is a word that is not enough to describe the differences between the soldiers, peasants, wise men, kings, nobles and merchants of the lands I wandered through. Or the lack of them. I've been to places so remote and desolate, that I'd yearn for death. I've also been to places so remote and desolate that I'd wish my beloved Elenore would be there with me and we would never have to leave.

What amazes me more though is the question of what keeps these people busy doing what they do.
There is a broad variety of myths and legends about the order of the world and heavens circling the temples, churches and even taverns in the cities. It was fine to hear them all but believing them all would require  thousands of worlds and heavens for them all to be the truth. The people had one thing in common though, wherever I passed. It was an uncontrollable desire for money, power and, strangely, happiness. Yes, this is very strange indeed because the first two don't go well coupled with the latter. Something only a few memorable personalities knew on my journeys.

Even someone like a simple farmer cannot stop himself from reaching out into where he cannot be. There was one who I met named Ufat trying to earn a living in the Mylesian valleys. He was able to feed his family decently with the newly introduced Laurian potatoes. But the man had higher dreams and sold his patch of land. Then he took a loan from a merchant in town to invest his money into trade goods and become a merchant himself. He knew nothing of the trade and its dangers. The man got himself scammed and robbed into rock-bottom upon which the merchant, to whom a local lord called Birghor owed much, took Ufat's family as slaves to work in the mines. A month later Birghor had the merchant hanged on his whim and took his shares at the mines.  A sad story indeed but a very eye-opening one.

That is not to say that my travels did not show me the goodness in mankind's heart. Many a time have I been saved from my doom by the most unexpected of saviors. I will never forget the unique virtues of each people. Xi diligence, Bermianese nobleness, Haelmarian kindness, Gunduz honesty, Ptian modesty. The list goes on. I'm not planning to tell you here about all the spiritual profits of traveling. To make a long story short, they make all the evils that you will face worth it. If you manage stand and take those evils, that is..

Chapter III: The next Big Thing

“I'm getting quite addicted to it” I had told every tavern keeper who heard my story and asked how it was to be and adventurer. As traveling made me feel young again I felt ready for something big. It was somewhat like the first great battle I fought as an Ellisian legionary. I was planning to go west, all the way back to the Highlands, and beyond. Yes, I was on the brink of doing the unthinkable. Going across the ocean even further than the craziest fisherman or pirate. I was about to venture to the Great Bloodfalls. “Not a bloody soul has returned to tell the tale, it's the End of the World!!” McFrancis, the innkeeper of the fisherman's town told me angrily. He cared more about my skin than I did. “Well then how can you know it's the end of the world? I said mockingly. “You youngsters sure know how to spoil you life.” he said. I told him that I 'd heard those words many times in my journeys. In reality, I knew this was something different and that I would probably never return. But I figured that I didn't have that many years left to live anyway. Perhaps.. I would go to the same place as Elenore. That was highly unlikely though. My years as a general would make sure of that.

“Find me the biggest boat a single man can operate” I told McFrancis. The old man nodded hesitantly after seeing how determined I was. Starving to death was not one of my intentions so I'd filled the boat with months worth of food, drinks and fishing gear. Pirates, sharks and giant sea monsters(if the stories were true) didn't appeal to me either. So in went harpoons, lances, bows, cutlasses and anything I could come up with. Certainly, this last great adventure of mine would by its self be thrilling enough to warrant taking the risk of either falling into eternal oblivion or seeing my wife again in good health. You are probably thinking that after all these years I still haven't been able to recuperate from the sorrow caused by her death. Maybe you are right, but that doesn't change the fact that I see myself as an evil man. I cannot stop myself from hoping, though. A man with such a sinful past doesn't even deserve a normal life many would say, but I always kept believing firmly that we men are ignorant and poor judges of character and that something higher would be the dispenser of final justice..

Chapter IV: The many shades of Blue

“How was the ocean?” you might ask. Like a living being, it had many different faces.
You see, in more than two months of sailing the waves I'd sensed the ocean get angry at me, then aid me, love me, only to abandon me later and then to get jealous again at my calm temperament. Our relation had indeed been the stuff of drama theaters. Maybe a West-Swadian Opera would do too.
Shall I tell you a secret? I would have gone totally mad back in those days if my  already half-crazy mind had not invented a feisty mermaid as embodiment of the sea. For no man can stand being alone in the middle of nothing for months. Not even general Symmachus. For the first time in a long time, it made me think of home again, the green Ellisian countryside.

So somewhat  fortunately, I got some company. Not of the sort that I'd have liked. Back at the inn, superstitious sailors were talking about a giant sea creature that had a nasty appetite for ships and their crew. This abomination was called Tegwyroth. They used to rub their ships in with camel dung because they thought the beast hated its smell. Who knows where they got the camel dung from in a place like the Highlands but I wasn't willing to spend the days that would be possibly my last, drifting on a stinking piece of wood. So I've had several encounters with Tegwyroth and I would spend many nights without closing an eye in fear of this beast. The first time it came it nearly turned over my boat with a single tentacle. I was lucky enough to fall into the water near the ugly blob that formed its head and so I pierced its eye with my dagger.
The second time it broke my mast and went away when it fell upon his head. That wasn't too ideal because now I really had to kill it. By then I'd realized that it was very similar to the Kraken I had heard about in ancient Haelmarian mythology. Their story included a way to lure it and I thought it was worth a shot. It seems a Kraken or Tegwyroth or whatever you want to call the demon, could not resist the smell of fresh fish being fried on a roasting spit. I did exactly that and prepared my harpoon and a bow as backup. Oh, how delighted was I at the sight of purple blood on the deep blue water surface a few hours later! I had won my greatest battle yet. The feisty mermaid came complaining again though.

Chapter V:  To be or not to be there.

I had no mast or spare sails with which to decorate one. Desperation started to hit me, until I noticed that I was drifting at a speed that was not normal even with the strongest sea currents. I was being pulled. So I spent a few more weeks with the mermaid while the boat, which had then almost become a wreck, kept going faster and faster. Sure enough, the day came that I would finally behold the most heart-stopping scenery any soul had seen. I was there. But I had no time to spend on expressing my joy of finally reaching my destination. Simply stare at it was all I could do.
Now I will try to describe what I saw, but you will never ever get to understand how it's like unless you go there yourself. Don't forget that.

I saw in the distance that the clouds were broken open. Around it, in what would prove to be a huge circle, it was raining thousands of thin beams of water. At first, the beams seemed connected by a halo hovering high above the surface. It had a terrifying color: blood-red. The beams of water around it were reflecting this color, gradually less as the water hit the surface. The Great Bloodfalls, now the name made sense. So people have been near here to see it. I do not know if this was the intention of the Creator of this marvel, but I couldn't help but to sense some kind of connection with the unjustified spilling of blood by the hands of men, and this red-colored water falling from the heavens.

As I came closer I saw that the red halo was in fact a full-circle rainbow. The most wonderfully colored rainbow I'd ever seen.. From afar it had appeared to have a single color. After passing through between two pillars of water, I found out where all the water was going to. Like a sink, the water was spiraling down with great speed. The water was going down, but strong, warm winds were gushing out of the spiral  in circles and leaving the place, blowing off to the north-east. This was the origin of what the Laurians and Bermianese called the Soothing Winds, which ensured most of their homelands of a pleasant, warm climate.

My situation was not so pleasant though. Me and my wreck went right in. As we did so, a strange sensation of weightlessness struck me for a split-second. I said goodbye to the mermaid.

Chapter VI: Going around in circles.

Yes, I'm still alive. In fact, I'm so alive that I took the time of writing my whole story down in case anyone was interested. I've been spiraling for about.. three weeks now, or the mental equivalent of it inching my way down. It's very hot here and I think I'm going quite mad. Writing my story was entertaining at first to pass time, but now that we have arrived at this ever-whirly part of my life I cannot tell you much more than this. I have enough ink though, as the mermaid made me clean up most of the beast's. Maybe I should make use of my hallucinations for some nice short stories..

Writing has become harder for me as the circles are getting smaller and I'm regularly regurgitating. I spend my hours mostly trying to sleep or looking at the sky very high above me as a tiny sun-lit dot  thinking about my past and polishing my sword skills against some long-dead nemesis.
The thought of Elenore gives me strength and reminds me that there is an end to this horrible nightmare too. I think about mankind, about the state of the world, Ellis, the army, the people I killed in battle and about my travels and some of the kind and wise people I've met. Sometimes I pray to the Creator, to stop me from going mad, to guide me to an answer to all of this. I will come out of this place alive, I am certain.

I awoke today after a long sleep and noticed how the color of the water has changed and there is no smell of salt anymore. It was fresh water. I could drink it. At the moment I see hundreds of rays of light in the water beneath me.

Chapter VII: A clean start from the Dragon

I had lain at the shore of a small lake with the sun burning my face. The sun. God's most wonderful gift to me, it seemed. I was out. I was overjoyed and happy, even though I had broken an arm and was bruised all over my body. That was some nasty swimming, or rather being hurled around in the water until dirt finally filled my mouth. My wreck was wrecked further and my belongings were spread all over the lakeside. The lake surface looks very calm, though. I've seen a shadowy image of a red-skinned warrior behind the jungle trees. I know who was watching me so I know where I am. I'm somewhere at the Dragon's Back, the wild mountain range consisting of the highest peaks on the face of this world with jungle valleys. Peaks which have never been crossed by people of our sort. Valleys where an elusive people live of whom very few have heard, let alone come into contact with.

My heart doesn't want to slow down, utterly shocked by what had just happened. I have no idea how I traveled to a different corner of the earth in such a short time and in what manner. I don't want to think about it either. I will never forget what I saw back there. I've been to the End of World but it turned out to be the same as the beginning and the middle. The Great Bloodfalls must be of invaluable importance to the order of the world and I saw it with my own eyes. I think it's time to forget my past and form a new start. I will stop traveling, I've seen it all.
Maybe I'll visit some nearby places first. I remember the last bit of news I heard was about a new prophet coming from lands too hot to live in. Perhaps this one would offer me insight about the reason of my existence with a way to strive for a greater cause and tell me why man is the way he is. If that's not the case, I'm feeling younger and stronger than I've felt in years.  Elenore would have wanted me to be happy. Perhaps I can throw another dice at a normal life with a someone kind to  bear me children and live with me my remaining years..

In any case, the chances of you actually reading this are very slim, because as part of my new self trying to forget my past, I will give all my personal items to one of those red-skinned tribesmen. If you are reading this and are nearby, greet them for me, will you? Tell them and the world that Symmachus the Retired has been to the End of the World only to begin again!

Don't know if this is the right place, but I decided to write about the failing rebellion for the Vaegir lands as it goes on (I 'm already pretty sure its going to fail unless more lords defect because atm were down to one town but anyway) would it be worth pasting it onto here and sharing how the tsar crushed the final claimant to the throne? :razz:

Back
Top Bottom