TEATRC tribute & universe expansion

Users who are viewing this thread

It was really nicely written. But it seemed more like the brutal slaughter of the hackapells than the ride of the hackapells.  :razz:

On the Hussars, Husaria and their aspects
by János Kurozwecki
Part I​

Husaria we were to the Ducal people, Hussars to the outside world. We were no more than bandits, looters and thieves before we became Hussars in service of the Grand Duchy. This was probably why the Grand Duchy had so few prisons, most of those convicts were conscripted as Hussars, and then if the said convict had served his time and wished to remain, he would be labelled a Ducal Husaria, or the Winged Hussars. It would take months, even years of hard work in battle to - as the men are now stating - earn your wings. This was true, for the Husaria are chosen above the rest of the conscripts. Ironic how we started out as bandits and we would become the elite of the Grand Dukes. Elite, ha! I wouldn't dare call ourselves elite. We are arrogant fools, bandits turned elite warriors, this isn't unexpected. Well, for me it isn't, I don't know how the Parliament acts about this, but I'm damn well sure they're not happy. Not that they can do anything about it, if we were removed from service the army would be crippled beyond belief, and there would barely be a soldier strong enough to stand against the Vaegirs.

The one thing that makes me wonder is the fact that we have wings. Why do we have wings? Some of the Husaria have always said they were to stop Ormeli lassos, I hardly doubt this is the truth, I've seen plenty get taken down by lassos during patrols. Some have said that the wings make a sound that frightens enemy horses, Vaegir horses to be precise. I doubt the sound would make any difference to Ormeli horses, the Ormeli horses are prized in our lands. The rest who are indifferent to the wings say it is to shake the morale of enemy soldiers. This, I think is closest, as a hundred or so Winged Hussars charging at you would frighten any man. Wings, they mean nothing to me, any man should be scared of us charging the battlefield, winged or not. We frighten the very soul of the Vaegirs, and we tear apart the souls of the Ormeli. Those who did not recognize us call us angels, those who do run away before we get close.

We were decorated beyond any soldier, and beyond any army. Our armour would be plated with at least one ruby or any other gem to start, our armour would be gilded with gold and silver and our helmets would be embroidered with golden symbols. This was nothing to begin with, our blades would be given to us with a gem on the hilt, and the guard would be lined - if not made - with gold. And beyond that, the saddles and reins on our horses were decorated with golden symbols similar to our helmets. Useless decorations, this is the effect of the aristocratic Parliament.

Only recently, some of the lower hussars were given pistols for their ride. What damn uselessness the Parliament has given us again? Firearms? On horse? What stupidity have they gone down to? You're more likely to shoot your brother hussar than shoot the enemy with those clumsy things. If we're lucky maybe... One in five shots is a hit, maybe ten. Depending on the speed of the horses. Which leads me to another thing, horses. The Hussars and Husaria alike are given both the fine Ducal Hunters and some of the local Coursers. Although some of the Hussars are now complaining about an unfamiliar horse, they talk of it as though it were an Ormeli horse, but no. These horses were found by farmers up north, by the Vaegir frontiers, probably some Vaegir breeds that strayed or were let loose. The farmers named it Orlov, after an abandoned Vaegir frontier town where they found the horses. They were characterized with great endurance, able to stay out in the cold without warmth for more than a day, and are fast and agile on their feet. Though this comes in a downside, barely ten of these Orlov's are seen riding with the Hussars and Husaria. The farmers I talked to stated that they were very hard to tame, if they are tame then it wouldn't be a problem to breed them due to their resilience to the cold environment. But if it's hard enough to tame one, I dare not think how hard it is to find one!

The man leaned back on his wooden chair, lost in thought. He closed the book he was writing on, put a lid on the ink bottle and lit out the candles. He would continue this after some rest, it seems.

Excellently written Boomie! I really like how you describe the Hussars and how you insert that pinch of arrogance and overconfidence into their way of being and how you refer to conflict with the Vaegirs and the Ormeli.

The little discourse on the reason of the wings was also very well placed. Personally I think it's something to demoralize the enemy. I mean, seeing a horseman armoured to the teeth with a big pair of ****ing wings on his back would unnerve any man, I think.

I shall have to do one better and write something myself now. :razz:

On the Hussars, Husaria and their aspects
by by János Kurozwecki
Part II​

The man suddenly sat straight on his bed. A bang from the hall outside had shook him awake from his peaceful slumber. He knew what it was, just the regular drunkards back from their stupor, he could see light coming faintly from the window outside. Might as well work, he thought. He got off his bed, lit the candles by his desk and opened the book. He read through it, trying to remember where he left it. His memory coming back to him, he took the lid off the ink bottle, took his quill and dipped it in the ink...

On their skills in warfare, I can testify that we are skilled masters of arms, though if it comes to being skilled in the art of war, there are few of us who even know this. We, after all started as thieves and bandits before our conscription, we would not have the knowledge over this. If the situation shows itself, we would throw ourselves in danger for the glory of leading a charge. We are more arrogant than most of the Parliament, yes. But we damn well deserve it, barely any of our self-led charges into the thick of the enemy have gone wrong, and if they did then we would have taken a large chunk of the enemy with us. Though, mostly only the regular Hussars, those who have not earned their wings, are those foolish enough to lead a charge without orders. This was one of their ways to earn their wings. If it did not go wrong, then he and others who are testified to have shown bravery and skill beyond which is required would certainly earn their wings and the title of Husaria.

If we fight as organized as possible for us, our charge would be simpler. Different than the head-on charge of the Vaegirs who clump too close that a blind man can shoot you if he aims in the general direction, nor the skirmishing of the Ormeli - and the Khergits before them - who charge too far from their allies that they cannot aid each other in their need. Our charge is simple, and it is evolved from many years of battle with the Vaegirs and the Ormeli, who - even with their firearms - still do not wish to change their tactics of war. We march, at slow pace, with length of the body of a man between each horse to avoid the head-on arquebus, crossbow and arrow volleys they throw our way. This is done so that for those who fall to the volleys, the soldiers behind them can move over and not trip on them when the charge is headlong. This would be kept until three volleys of the projectiles, by which case our distance would be minimized to half the body of a man, but our distance from those behind us would be farther than two bodies, farther even than five to make sure if we tumble, there would be a second for the others to move aside. This tactic has proved efficient, the Strelets and Janissaries fear us for we are ready, we are always one step ahead of their feudal ways.

The Husaria are the enemies of many men. The Husaria have stopped many an invasion by the Vaegirs, the however Ormeli are quick to catch on, and didn't even bother after three failed attempts. But the Vaegirs are persistent, they keep believing there would be one battle where we would lose and we would lose terribly. Yes, we have had losses, but in those losses we would have always taken a chunk of the enemy. Our arrogance in combat and brilliance in shaking the morale of men have led to the survival of the Ducal State at it's weakest days. We are soldiers, saviours and we are the closest thing the Ducal people have to angels. Even if we ride without the wings.

This is who we are, this is our way of life. Our bonds to the army continue until the age of forty-five, by which time we may retire a noble, a general, or a member of the Parliament (which was a great honour to be in, those few who have great wisdom among us are prized when the call to war has sounded). We are the Husaria. I am a Husaria. We are the true angels of death, not those angel-women of the North, not the six-winged fire angel of the Laurians and Calradians, nor the horned angels of Filaharn. We are the living and breathing angels of death, we are the testimony of the deaths of so many. We are Husaria.

The man unlit the candle, the rays of the sun beaming through the window. He closed the book, put the cap on the ink bottle, and shouted through the doorway about some wine and the drunkards next to his room.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Pah, weaklings. In my game, the Lion Throne already has cleared a bath through to Vienna, has L'Renoille surrounded, and as well as Lorraine, and I myself, Celaharn  Augusto, defended Grenwalder Castle with naught but 80 men, vs the might of the entire Swadian "army", consisting of 1,500 soldiers, and still we beat them back! And is naught but day 98! Soon Vienna shall be ours! and the Heathen cities of L'renoille and Lorraine shall fall! Vult! Filaharn Vult!  :twisted:
Holy cow, That looks a lot like my game. Except that I am the Swadian here,  getting owned by the Lion Throne AI (feels awful).

It's the first game I ain't using cheats/rigged imported characters.
Servitor

Bunduqdari said:
very nice

Their arrogance will be their downfall in-game  :grin:

Yeah, I wanted to find a weakness for them, and I was reading about Hussars (regular Hussars, their history, etc.) and found a piece detailing their arrogance and stuff.

And I remember that I actually shouted "Bingo!" when I found it.

:razz:

I'm working on some more lore for the Grand Duchy at the moment, be assured there will be something new to add here.  :idea: :idea:

Venitius said:
Anyone going to write another lore text in the near future?

With my exams coming, no.. I started an adventurous little story which I haven't finished and
for later, I was thinking about a traveling report about the Great Bloodfalls.

I won't promise anything, though  :razz:

I'll get around to doing more of the unification of the highland clans just haven't had the free time I used to to think up more stuff to add, some things that I'm gonna add are Laurian invaders, refugees from lands taken by the Lion Throne, and help from the IS. Also, there may be the invention of self-containing cartridges by Gunther-Piedmont craftsmen and IS traders. Of course none of this is in stone yet, just some ideas I've had while at work.

After seeing all the lore, history, and expansion of the TEATRC universe, I thought I could pitch in and try something out. It's supposed to be a logbook from the commander of a Laurian expeditionary fleet in search of new lands beyond the Obello sea to the East (almost like the exploration of North America by Europe Explorers). I thought it would be interesting to see what other people think of my idea.  :mrgreen:

This excerpt is from a logbook found in the clutches of a Laurian commander, so far as could be told from his remains, found dead in a longboat on the Eastern Laurian shores

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logbook of Commander Estoban Cortez, of Her Majesties Royal Fleet

12th of May, 1495

We set sail today in search of new spoils, and new lands by order of Her Majesty, Queen Imelda, long may she reign. We are to find new land, for the invasian to the south has become a stalemate, with ourselves reaching no further inland than when we first struck. I hope to find new land to conquer and make a name for myself, and prove my worth to the Queen. Only time will tell of our spoils.

17th of April, 1495

No such sight would fill my heart with joy as to sea land again, for I tire of seeing only water. If we do not find land soon, I fear my men may mutiny and throw me overboard, my fate certainly death. But there is still hope, the winds have changed of late, drawing us closer to some unknown place, and gulls have been seen flying overhead. I do wish that we will find land soon.

21st of April, 1495

Great joy fills me with pride and happiness, we have found land. It is still a days journey away but 'tis better than the open ocean. We will begin preparations soon for when we make landfall. Hopefully food and fresh water are a' plenty in this new land, for our stocks have begun to run out sooner than expected. We will rejoice when we make landfall, and feast on whatever we can find.

22nd of April, 1495

We have made landfall, oh how good it feels to be on solid ground again. We begun to set up camp when we were interrupted: it seems there already is someone who owns these lands. They speak in a tongue very similar to our own, but with a stange accent. None the less, they too shall yield to Laurian rule.

24th of April, 1495

The leader of the men we met earlier has come to our camp. He comes with heavily armed guards, bearing calivers and blades of steel similar to our own design. They are different though in how they are armoured. Clad in plate from head-to-toe, with an emblem almost like the compass rose emblazoned on their chests, they remind me of those soldiers who serve the Lion Throne, but they call themselves 'Es-Thaltihran'. Some of them use bows and arrows still, and they have mounted cavalry aswell. I fear this will not end well for me and my men.

25th of April, 1495

Tragedy has struck our expedition. Their leader who calls himself Gabriel Nulimus, Emperor of Es-Thaltihr, accused one of my men of murder. I pleaded with him to let me take care of the insolent whelp but he would not here a word of it, calling me 'weak and unworthy of command' . I called him a barbarian and left, though I fear blood will be spilt before the week is out.

26th April, 1495

I have ordered the men to load the ships, and make sail before anything else can happen here, but it is too late. The Es-Thaltihrans have revealed just how advanced they are: warships, behemoths of wood and steel, easily as large or even larger than our grandest of warships with steel rams on their bow to sink any how get in their way. They are bearing down on my ships as I write this. Gagh, they have fired upon us! We are no match for their ships but we may still be able to outrun them.

27th of April, 1495

The Es-Thaltihrans have engaged our modest fleet. Two of our vessels have already sank, with another in flames, and this ship being brutally assaulted by the largest of the Es-Thaltihran warships, whom I have doubed Scourge of the Laurians for what it has done to my fleet. We are ahead of it, but not much and it is gaining on us. The men are preparing a longboat for me to use to try and warn Lauria of the danger these Es-Thaltihrans bring. I hope that I make it back alive to warn them before the Es-Thaltihrans reach the Laurian mainland.
Sorry if the logs are short, I figured that on a ship their is little time for the captain to be left in private without being distrupted for whatever reason. Constructive criticism is welcome. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom