Invasion force too strong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cornholio

Recruit
This was a fun mod all around, but when the invasion force came it seemed too overwhelming.

I was able to manage a few centurion armies at a time with a bunch of swadian knights but there are just too many of them to be able restock troops/defend prisoner towers - especially because the battle times are so fast.

I gave up quickly trying to defend by empire and put everything I had into 1 stronghold. We won many rounds defending but lost in the end.

Maybe lower the number of centurion parties a bit or change the initial size.

It would be good to be able to loot their gear.

Please let me know if anyone out has beat an invasion force of this size and how you did it.

Yeah well slowing down centurions battle speed vs ai has been suggested 5 mins ago :razz:

and I do kinda agree that theres a few to many commanders, would like if there were mabye 20 less but they eac had more troops.

Cornholio said:
This was a fun mod all around, but when the invasion force came it seemed too overwhelming.

I was able to manage a few centurion armies at a time with a bunch of swadian knights but there are just too many of them to be able restock troops/defend prisoner towers - especially because the battle times are so fast.

I gave up quickly trying to defend by empire and put everything I had into 1 stronghold. We won many rounds defending but lost in the end.

Maybe lower the number of centurion parties a bit or change the initial size.

It would be good to be able to loot their gear.

Please let me know if anyone out has beat an invasion force of this size and how you did it.

I'm looking forward to that! I'm going to fortify in grunwalder an fill it with more soldiers then there are seeds in the male nutsack

Excellent!

You don't even know how happy I am to hear this complain :smile: I'm not kidding. How I hate modern games... I haven't lost in a long long time in any game... I'm glad that my mod allows people to lose. What's the point of playing when You can only win? You must master the game to win it :smile:

Probably some M&B veterans already won... Noone reported that yet though  :twisted:

Can You please elaborate this topic more? How large kingdom have you got? Did you have all 20 lords hired? How many patrols? Did you have larg garrisons? Maybe screenshot of Your kingdom from before invasion (if You played on realistic setting it would be probably impossible to have it :sad: ).

As to strategy what comes to my mind is gathering army of all your 20 lords and maximum number of patrols and waiting for invaders to spread a bit. Let them take few castles, but not too many and then finish scattered forces... Sounds easy to say, probably isn't so easy to do :smile:

I'm affraid that in V4 invaders will be easier to beat :sad:

Cheers

You all make it so hard.. You all sound like you just bought the game.. I myself gonna go into a city and station ALL my garrison in a city with LADDERS, (Ladders is best because only 1 and 1 soldier comes up at a time).

When they attack I make ranged troops tear down their rangers and some of their melee and I myself kill some of them..

As their probably like 1500 Soldiers all togheter it's gonna be enough if I am defender to have about 1200, easy if I recruit prisoners, and run around recruiting merc's and peasants all day long. Shouldn't be so hard.

Good luck.

Hehehehe, jim jim jim, not gone be nearly that easy. first off they land randomly on the map ( I think )

theres 80 lords, each of them have somewhere around 100 soldiers, atleast from what I saw, which adds up to 8000 total. the real prob with them isnt the fights, can easily beat them with a balanced army, the problem is that once they get a castle they'll respawn and spread all over the map which mean it will be nearly imposible to stop them, only way to stop them is to be ready for them having large patrols at every single one of your castles, or if you know where theyll spawn you got huge patrols at around that area, if you hole up in a castle and wait for them your doomed :razz:

Truthfully, I'm at par with the empire right now! I have half of calridia and they have the other half. We have a treaty so I'm just waiting for the right time to strike!

So in short to win, you have to gather ALOT of troops until they come so you can fend them off.

If you are having trouble, extend the date to any day, (I have mine at 10000) so you can play around and find out whats best for you. (which kingdom to attack first, which troops to get, etc.) Or set it at 5 so you can fight the SPQR right away and see which units do best against them.

vonmistont said:
Excellent!

You don't even know how happy I am to hear this complain :smile: I'm not kidding. How I hate modern games... I haven't lost in a long long time in any game... I'm glad that my mod allows people to lose. What's the point of playing when You can only win? You must master the game to win it :smile:

Probably some M&B veterans already won... Noone reported that yet though  :twisted:

Can You please elaborate this topic more? How large kingdom have you got? Did you have all 20 lords hired? How many patrols? Did you have larg garrisons? Maybe screenshot of Your kingdom from before invasion (if You played on realistic setting it would be probably impossible to have it :sad: ).

As to strategy what comes to my mind is gathering army of all your 20 lords and maximum number of patrols and waiting for invaders to spread a bit. Let them take few castles, but not too many and then finish scattered forces... Sounds easy to say, probably isn't so easy to do :smile:

I'm affraid that in V4 invaders will be easier to beat :sad:

Cheers

I think I had about 13 lords when the invasion first hit. I did not make any patrols. This was my first invasion mod so I did not prepare as much as I should have but doubt I could have done much more other than concentrate the Heros on training rather than fighting stats.

When I defended the last stronghold (Hurus - not the best choice but the only one left) it was around 11,000 to 400.

I controlled all the Rhodok territories and a few Nord castles when it came.

Hymm I see. The patrols are essential to think of winning with Invaders. Each patrol can have as many troops as You can and You can make many patrols (depends on Your leadership).

vonmistont said:
Hymm I see. The patrols are essential to think of winning with Invaders. Each patrol can have as many troops as You can and You can make many patrols (depends on Your leadership).

I think that's a basic weakness in the mod - you have to expect the invasion to have a chance. So, armed with certain knowledge that you couldn't have, you prepare for something that is several orders of magnitude tougher than the setting. It seems like aliens invading. I start small and have to build. I'd like the invaders to do so too. 8000 troops without supply lines, levies, drafts, or local holdings is too much. I'd like them to be more realistic. Perhaps the could convert an existing faction or buy all the slaves from the coast.

If they were so wealthy they'd have little reason to come to Calraidia. I'd at least like the option of limiting them to the same number of lords as the player, or limit them to a lord per holding they convert\capture.

Knute

Another idea could be to sap all of the prisoners from the map at an instant.  Those prisoners then become the army of the invaders.  They would effectively replace the invaders.

FS

Knute said:
vonmistont said:

I think that's a basic weakness in the mod - you have to expect the invasion to have a chance. So, armed with certain knowledge that you couldn't have, you prepare for something that is several orders of magnitude tougher than the setting. It seems like aliens invading. I start small and have to build. I'd like the invaders to do so too. 8000 troops without supply lines, levies, drafts, or local holdings is too much. I'd like them to be more realistic. Perhaps the could convert an existing faction or buy all the slaves from the coast.

If they were so wealthy they'd have little reason to come to Calraidia. I'd at least like the option of limiting them to the same number of lords as the player, or limit them to a lord per holding they convert\capture.

Knute

The idea that Vonmistont wants to give is that you have to prepare for this major invasion that will sweep all of Calradia at once.  He also would like to recreate the concept of playing a game that is impossible.  From the description you provided, it seems that he made it impossible.  So, in a sense, this mod achieved its objective.

I also believe that 8000 legionnaires is probably too much.  Maybe a little less of them or maybe a variable army that includes bandits and sea raiders could be included (I love slashing at them).

FS

Impossible for average player in the first gameplay. There arlready many people who beat invaders with ease. See Jeeves'es After Action Report. He didn't even used a single patrol to do that :sad:

And with new troops it's even easier. But in final I already have an idea how to make player's life harder  :twisted:

I haven't downloaded yet (waiting on bugfix), but I am eagerly awaiting a challenge. Don't listen to the 'impossible' nay-sayers, I too miss 'impossible games'... and am eagerly awaiting some heroic, epic last stands.

Final release will be WAY more difficult than beta so You shouldn't be dissapointed. Now your troops are overpowered (well, Zerrikanians are too weak actually).

so now the vilianese and the other guys will be overpowered as well as the invaders?

i wasnt saying its too easy, the invader troops are really good, but thats not the problem, there's just too many centurions, maybe 20 (amount of lords for other factions) would be manageable and doesnt involve them conquering half the map in 30 days

screenshots of my latest victory (helping nords in defense of tihr against invaders, they outnumber us almost 2:1, i have 100, garrison of under 200, invaders have less than 600)

my casualties and allied casualties:
bat203.jpg

enemy losses:
bat2140.jpg

Back
Top Bottom