Free Beer!! !!

Users who are viewing this thread

vonmistont

Sergeant Knight
Now... When I dragged Your attention...  :twisted:

I will repeat my post from The Forge here. I want to see real forest battles. Dense forest battles. Where infantry would really slaughter cavalry. In Native you have a choice either play in flat ground or be lagged to death (i use battlesize changer, but I'm not going to sacrifice my 300 size battle setting ! )

It's know problem with forest battles being laggy. So I ask You, talented scene makers, could You do something about that:

1 Create model of interior, like you create a castle interiors.
2 It will be large hall with "roof" being about 4 meters high (or lower). This hall would have many randomly spread columns with different diameters.
3 Floor textures would be "forest ground" (i don't know how is "ściułka" it called in english :wink: ).
4 Column texture would be bark.
5 Roof texture would be dense upper branches of a tree, with parts of the sky. All static. They must create ilusion of depth. But only ilusion. "Trees" shouldn't have branches at all to priovide maximum performance.
6 Plus some bushes.

It should create dense, dark forest atmosphere and should play very smoothly i think. So Can anyone do that?

Anyone played Eye of the Beholder 2 (or 3 i don't remember where the forest was) or other old games? So you know what i mean generaly...

And Maybe it will look like graphics from middle 90s but if someone prefers graphic fireworks over gameplay he wouldn't play MnB (though it looks good IMO). And besides all this shaders, antializing and dynamic lightning would make it look realy nice i think.

Cheers

Von, this is probably the most brilliant thread designed by man. Even though I am aware that free beer is impossible over the internet, I was still lured by it :shock: Damn you're good :razz:

Seen this thread on 31., didn't bother to reply, read it yesterday, same as on 31., saw it today and still not replying....f*** what have I just done :shock:

I am extra drunk right now, but I can see your point. I get what you are suggesting,but if there is a really dense forest then it would be equally detrimental to the infantry because they would not be able to get into a useful formation, so the cavalry would only face one or two at a time. Plus, how do implemet a scene into a battle?

kgable10 said:
I am extra drunk right now, but I can see your point. I get what you are suggesting,but if there is a really dense forest then it would be equally detrimental to the infantry because they would not be able to get into a useful formation, so the cavalry would only face one or two at a time. Plus, how do implemet a scene into a battle?

It doesn't have to be THAT dense, even some density would prevent calvalry charge. And implementing should be easy I think.

That's a really good work around for the forest battles problem, though I think it might look a little iffy. The best solution to the problem would be if someone could make a scene object that is a a tree, except many times larger and with much, much simpler 'branches and leaves'. So they wouldn't be an eyesore, since most of the polys would be only visible by looking directly up, and you'd need less since each tree object would take up more space itself.

It wouldn't be too unrealistic, since compared to the average tree the ones in native are a bit runty.

Or you could add more large boulders and rocks. That would break any charge especially with the AI hitting every obstacle they find in their path. It would also decrease the power of archers -> more cover for units and shorter lines of fire. This way infantry would really ake the difference. This battlefield should only be allowed in areas with forest on the game map.
A similar thing but with more rocks and boulders instead of the trees could be made for mountainous terrain. More variety would be great.

kgable10 said:

From what I've seen, one cavalry that isn't moving usually losses to one infantry unless it's like a peasant or something that really stinks.

Back
Top Bottom