Best companions for battle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Sami

Knight
Sorry if this has already been disgussed, but I was just wondering what companions I should pick in my party, if I was to use them in actual battle. Now what I mean with this, is that I don't want them to start naggin' when I go and raid a village or attack some farmers, and I would also like if they didn't go at eachothers' throats the second I look away.

So, what is the best compilation of hero characters when I want them to fight, and still like eachother? All I want is something like 3-6 guys, so any help concerning the npc characters' relationships would be much appreciated. Thanks.

My party consists always of Marnid & Borcha (of course); "Baron" Rolf, Firentis, Ymira and Jeremus.

These don't whine, though I must add that I play honorably and do not harass civilians, kidnap or collect taxes for other lords.

Rolf and Firentis of course have some fighting value already from the beginning.

Borcha and Jeremus I keep most ironclad so that my party keeps healing and travels with speed. In case Jeremus gets KO'd Ymira can medic to some extent.

Now my companions are all in level 16-17 and they manage to stay alive and train pretty well. I have a Nord melee/Vaegir archer foot army (first time ever) and I have given Heavy Crossbows to three companions and Javelin+Throwing Axes to the other three, just to max their strength & melee skills and skipped investing in Power Draw.

I have a Heavy Crossbow as well and we all have Nordic Swords to keep the outfit uniform. I hate the crossbow, to get some kills I have to join the hacking shield wall... :cry:

Do Marnid, Borcha, Rofl and that trainer dude (whose name I can't remember) get along? And wasn't Ymira against raiding villages?

Lord Sami said:
Do Marnid, Borcha, Rofl and that trainer dude (whose name I can't remember) get along? And wasn't Ymira against raiding villages?

by "Trainer Dude" I assume you mean Lezalit.

If so, yes, all of them will get along, and Marnid will take a shining to Borcha (or vice-versa).

Ymira IS against raiding villages, which.. is partly why she's sitting naked in town in my most current game. She also doesn't get along with Lezalit. A little FYI.

May I introduce you to "Marksmans Evil Eight" ?!  :wink: :grin:  :cool:

Code:
            primary occ.   backup        skills

Deshavi     Footscout    Bowwomen       Pathfinding 3, Spotting 3, Tracking 2
Klethi      (Horse)Scout                Pathfinding 2, Spotting 2, Tracking 2
Lezalit     *Trainer*                   Trainer 4
Baheshtur   Horsebow                    -  (Horse Archery, Power Draw)
Rolf        Horsethrow   Medic (FA,Sur) Tactics 2, First Aid 1, Surgery 1, (Power Throw)
Matheld                                 Tactics 1
Artimenner  Engineer     Scout/Trader   Engineer 4, Trade 3, Tactics 2, Tracking 1, Spotting 1
Nizar                                   -

skills:                 * Looting           0
                        * Tracking          2
                        * Tactics          (2)
                        * Path-finding      3
                        * Spotting          3
                        * Wound Treatment   0
                        * Surgery           1
                        * First Aid         1
                        * Engineer          4
                        * Trade             3

+ all of those don't have any trouble with raiding villages
+ the more fights in a day, the happier they are (there are other which do not like too much fighting)
+ if you have all of them, there's some bickering, but because their friends are there, too, they won't leave you because they dislike someone

- might be hard to get them together in time, to avoid losing one because his preferred companion isn't there
- there are some skills missing (Wound Treatment, high Surgery) .. you'll have to level them up quite somewhat

Welcome to the dark side !

I am no expert but this set up has worked for me, there is bickering but no one leaves even i you make a career out of raiding villages but if you do it too often the blond one will eventually bugger off.

Alayen and Ymira becomes good friends, Alayen can be made into a good fighter/tank. Ymira is the healer I usually put her on a horse with a bow to keep her from the actual fighting and the love story between her and Alayen makes her a bit blind to Lezalit and the acrid smell of roasting villagers.

Borcha and Marnid, tracking, spotting and path finding makes Borcha my favourite NPC and so he gets very good gear. Trading skill and making Borcha happy is Marnids job (its the 1200, Im not going to judge)

Lezalit and Artimer, Lezalit gets under Ymiras skin but his trainer skills makes up for the 20 points you loose or whatever it is in moral. And his "Boy toy" the buff builder well he makes sieges and improvements cheaper and faster.

Not much trouble when I ride with them.

Thanks for the replies guys! Now I have something to go with.

I'll still leave the thread open if any more good suggestions come up.

I usually run with

Marnid (Intelligence): Wound Treatment, First Aid, Surgery, Trainer
Artimenner (Intelligence): Wound Treatment, Engineering, Trainer
Borcha (Intelligence): Pathfinder, Tracker, Trainer, Spotter
Nizar (Agility): Melee + Looting
Matheld (Strength): Melee
Katrin (Strength): Melee
Rolf (Strength): Melee
Lezalit (Strength): Melee

There heroes never argue with each-other.

This is the thing that's bugging me the most. I want to keep Matheld and that surgeon guy, and now they both got pissed and left me.

-If two guys just dont get along, one/both WILL leave eventually, right? (unless someone else is keeping them)
-Is staying neutral between their quarrels a good option? Or should I just decide who I want to keep and stick on his side?
-Persuading one to stay only gives you some extra time?
-Once they leave they never appear again?
-Who does the surgeon come along with, then? I really like to have one guy with 5-6 all healing skills.
-Are they in totally random taverns, which makes gathering the flock early one hard?

Kona_Kona67 said:
Lord Sami said:

If so, yes, all of them will get along, and Marnid will take a shining to Borcha (or vice-versa).

Ymira IS against raiding villages, which.. is partly why she's sitting naked in town in my most current game. She also doesn't get along with Lezalit. A little FYI.

wait! isn't bunduk a good traner dude too?

Firelake said:
This is the thing that's bugging me the most. I want to keep Matheld and that surgeon guy, and now they both got pissed and left me.

-If two guys just dont get along, one/both WILL leave eventually, right? (unless someone else is keeping them)
-Is staying neutral between their quarrels a good option? Or should I just decide who I want to keep and stick on his side?
-Persuading one to stay only gives you some extra time?
-Once they leave they never appear again?
-Who does the surgeon come along with, then? I really like to have one guy with 5-6 all healing skills.
-Are they in totally random taverns, which makes gathering the flock early one hard?

If two people don't get along, they won't necessarily leave. Keep their morale high and bring in one of their friends so that they won't run. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,36781.0.html has a nice readout of stable configurations.

If someone leaves, they are out of the game for a bit, then respawn somewhere in a tavern. The best way to tell is to ask a traveler. If you can't ask about them, they haven't respawned yet. They will be re-hirable once you meet them again.

Firentis is Jeremus' friend. Try asking a traveller for his location.

NordMann 2 said:
Kona_Kona67 said:
Lord Sami said:

wait! isn't bunduk a good traner dude too?

Bunduk is the smarmy peasant who needs to get drop-kicked for leaving his post.

I think the biggest issue with him, (Besides disliking his character) is he doesn't look kindly on raiding villages.

However, yes he is a "Training Dude", though he comes with 2 points less in training than Lezalit. Guess my character hasn't eaten many hot meals.

Borcha - tracker, spotter and pathfinder
Marnid - trader
Katrin - combat build
Nizar - combat build
Jeremus - Medic
Lezalit - Trainer
Rolf - combat build

No one bickers, some of them like each other. Nizar is funny, Jeremus is the most useful npc ever short of Borcha, Rolf is a badass who usually agrees with you if you fail quests and stuff, Lezalit is useful for building large armies, Katrin is just there to swing a sword

Schoulayer said:
I usually run with

Marnid (Intelligence): Wound Treatment, First Aid, Surgery, Trainer
Artimenner (Intelligence): Wound Treatment, Engineering, Trainer
Borcha (Intelligence): Pathfinder, Tracker, Trainer, Spotter
Nizar (Agility): Melee + Looting
Matheld (Strength): Melee
Katrin (Strength): Melee
Rolf (Strength): Melee
Lezalit (Strength): Melee

There heroes never argue with each-other.

Are all this guys OK with slaying villagers and raiding ****? Even the skirts?

Firentis - Combat
Alayen - Combat
Bunduk - Combat
Ymira - Combat (yes seriously, she really kicks ass, is even better then Alayen after a while), backup medic
Deshavi - tracker, spotter and pathfinder
Klethi - looting, backup pathfinding
Jeremus - Medic, Tactician
Baheshtur - Engineer and primary Trainer (starts with 12 int and reaches 6+ Engineering reasonably fast)

all of them get a few ranks in training after a while as the skills add up nicely

also dont forget to get 2 skill levels in important skills like surgery, wound treatment, pathfinding etc yourself (including inventory books if available)
as that gives another +1 to the skill of the party member which has it highest, not sure if having 10 + 1 gives anything above having 10 though, prolly not

I found the best way to level them is to ditch all conventional troops in a castle (or dont hire any at first) and then go around killing sea raiders, bandits and
caravans or even small lord parties with companions only

Akashi said:
How and more importantly where do you get heros?? Are they out of a Mod or the basic game?

They are in the native game, no mods required. They can be found all over the map in town taverns. They'll just be standing there, each with his/her own story to tell. All of them will be willing to join your party, thought some require a small start-up fee. Just go and look around for a while, and you can't miss them.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46630.0.html

It's one of TheMageLord's tweaks. Haven't tried it, but I suppose it works...

Back
Top Bottom