B Other More Metal Sound Mod V2.2 for 1.010/1.011 & Warband 1.105+ *Updated 6/19/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Checkmaty

Veteran
Finally came back to this game after a long break and was happy to see such an improvement over beta in the retail version. Audio has been improved but that isn't saying much, so here is my sound mod which does exactly what the name says; give the audio more "metal".

In game preview Video Link Credits to GasMaskGuy.

DOWNLOAD V2.2 for Mount&Blade version 1.010/1.011 & Warband 1.105+
Repository
Sendspace

---Info---
It really annoyed me how going into battle with a party of heavily armored knights or a party of unarmored club wielders would both sound the same...a blunt slugfest.
So after a lot of hitting and scraping objects together, this is what I came up with.

This mod doesn't aim to revamp the vanilla sounds, but to add more "metal" to the audio of the battles. A battle between two parties of heavily armored soldiers should actually sound like armored soldiers hacking and slashing away at eachother instead of unarmored men hitting eachother with blunt weapons.

What is changed:
-Weapon impacts
-Shield impacts
-Projectile impacts and misses
-Ranged weapon fire
-Weapon draw and put away sounds
-Footstep/hoof sounds for human and horses
-Body falls
-Dummy sounds for the training ground
-New death and grunt voices
-Some interface sound improvements
-Included additional voices from the "Official Vocals Sound Pack" by rejenorst
-Various other improvements and volume tweaks

---Install---

1.Extract sounds to the "Sounds" folder of your chosen module.
Example:
"(M&B Installation folder)\Modules\Native\Sounds" for Native or "...\Modules\(module name)\Sounds" for another mod.

2.Overwright "sounds.txt" of the module with the one included in the package.

3.Edit this line within "module.ini" (located in the module folder):
scan_module_sounds = 0
          to
scan_module_sounds = 1

OR

1.Extract all sounds to the "Sounds" folder in your Mount&Blade installation directory(Should not overwright anything but backup is recommended)
2.Overwright "sounds.txt" of module of your choice with the one included in the package.

A "Extra" folder has been included which contains a "sounds.txt" without the new voices and a "module_sounds.py" for modders.

---FOR WARBAND---

1.Extract sounds to the "Sounds" folder of your chosen module.
Example:
"(M&B Warband Installation folder)\Modules\Native\Sounds" for Native or "...\Modules\(module name)\Sounds" for another mod.

2.Overwright "sounds.txt" of the module with the one included in the "Warband" folder of the package.

3.Edit this line within "module.ini" (located in the module folder):
scan_module_sounds = 0
          to
scan_module_sounds = 1

OR

1.Extract all sounds to the "Sounds" folder in your Mount&Blade Warband installation directory (Should not overwright anything but backup is recommended)
2.Overwright "sounds.txt" of module of your choice with the one included in the package.

A "Extra" folder has been included within the "Warband" folder which contains a "sounds.txt" without the new voices and a "module_sounds.py" for modders.

---Verson History---

-New jump sounds for horse and foot
-New draw and put away weapon sounds
-New body falls
-New string pulls for the bow and crossbow
-Improved fire sounds for the bow and thrown weapons
-Improved wooden shield impacts
-Improved projectile flesh impacts

-Added in some voices from the "Official Vocals Sound Pack" by rejenorst
-Improved metal shield impacts
-Improved high damage metal impacts
-Re-did the sword clashes

-New horse charge sounds
-New shield break sound
-Some improvements to interface sounds

-Some improvements to weapon impacts
-Volume tweaks

-Improved weapon impacts
-Improved shield impacts
-Re-did metal clashes (again)
-New dummy sounds for the training ground
-Many other various changes and improvements

-Changed high armor weapon impacts back to the more metallic feeling of earlier versions
-Fixed some unbalanced volume levels introduced in the 1.5 update
-Other various changes and improvements

-Reduced the blood/gore for high armor blunt impacts
-Improved blunt impacts on the wooden shield
-Improved horse hoofsteps
-Quieter weapon draw sounds
-Removed some unused sounds

-Changes to weapon impacts
-Improved blunt impacts on the wooden shield
-New water jump and splash sounds for horses
-New level up sound

-Increased weapon impact volume by a small amount
-Tweaked level up and a few other sounds
-removed 1.21 Prophesy of Pendor compatibility file (2.0 has been released with the sounds already implemented)

V1.9
-Replaced some weapon impacts with older sounds + a few new ones
-Various other changes and volume tweaks

-Basically reverted back to 1.7 but kept some new sounds from 1.8/1.9 that I liked (splash sounds for horses and a few others)

-Some changes to weapon impact sounds
-New metal on metal shield impacts
-Various other tweaks and changes

-Ported over to Warband
-Few tweaks melee hit sounds

-Increased volume for hoofbeats in Warband version
-New grunt voices when stunned
-Changes to weapon clash sounds
-Changes to metal shield blunt impact sounds

-Re-compiled the mod with the 1.125 module system - hopefully this fixes problems people have been having with the new patches
-Fixed problem with new grunt voices not playing when stunned
---------------------

Thanks to rejenorst for allowing me to use his voices

Very sad to see no comments or feedback  :sad:

Anyways, for those who are interested I have added in new gun sounds which should improve the audio in gun heavy mods (American Civil War rifles, Muskets, etc...)

Download link in the first post has been updated

Another update for those interested

-Added in new death screams and grunts that I personally did myself (Included a sounds.txt without the new voices)
-New footstep and hoof sounds
-Some volume tweaks

First post updated with new download link

Pretty cool, maybe I'll use it in my personal mod I'm making.  :smile:

Thought of maybe merging with the other battle sound mods?

I like to have all the sounds fit very nicely together and If I notice a sound that stands out too little or too much from the others, I change it. Mixing in sounds from other mods may break that balance, but personally when it comes to sounds, I like to make them all myself. I will check out the other sound mods though.

Probably a lot of things I could change, improve, or add but it would be a lot easier if I had some feedback  :smile:

I'll be honest...when I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping it was gonna be a mod that changed the game's default music to a "more metal" soundtrack.  :cry:

This looks cool! It's something I've commented on myself. I'll definitely check it out, and if it's cool, probably use it in HYW.  :smile:

Keedo420 said:
I'll be honest...when I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping it was gonna be a mod that changed the game's default music to a "more metal" soundtrack.  :cry:
Heh, if that was the case I would of named it "More Metal Music Mod"  :grin:

Anyways, if you want a preview of the sounds in game, here is a gameplay video on youtube that I found using my sounds and the TPW mod. He seems to be using an older version so there are no new voices or footstep/hoof sounds.  Video Link

Checkmaty you have done a fantastic job on this, I'm really impressed. 

I feel the horses are just right, not too much bass but with the ability to "feel the thunder" as you put your Calvary into a charge.  Gave me goosebumps.... see there's one right there *points to arm*  :wink:

Hand-to-hand combat has a better feel to it too.  I know it sounds strange but with the sound turned up you can actually "feel" the impact of striking your opponent.  Along with the grunts, missed swings etc... I really started to get into the battle.

I tossed this into the "Lords and Realms" mod to give it a quick test and I really like what you have done.  I'm going to make a suggestion to Saxondragon on implementing this into the "Prophesy of Pendor" mod, if you don't mind.

There is something sort of off but I just can't put my finger on it at the moment.  Maybe it's just that I'm use to the "Native" sounds and that is throwing me off, you know getting use to new sounds does take some playing so I had better get back to it  :lol:

I'm curious as to what you may come up with next. 

Again FANTASTIC job and Thank you very much for sharing your work.

Thanks for the feedback, Gerhart
The py files are there for modders so as long as I am notified and given credit feel free to include the sounds in your mods.
I spent a lot of time testing and tweaking the volume and bass of the horse sounds and it is nice to see that it has paid off. Its true that once you get use to one set of sounds moving to another set does feel awkward, sort of like culture. Could just be sounds needing change or improvement though, need more feedback. :grin:

I've spent some time to downloaded and check out some of the other sound packs.
Although I did use some of the sounds that came with Mount&Blade, I like to personally record and mix/edit my own sounds to keep the work original. I have many gigs of raw recorded sound data on my hard drive from past projects and close to 2 gigs just for the M&B project. The other sound mods seem to borrow heavily from other games, especially the Total War series so I don't think I'll be trying for a merger. 

I'll be checking this out and we may include it in the Chronicles of Talera mod as well.  Thanks for all the time you've spent creating these sounds.

I, personally, have found your sounds not to be 'beefy' enough. I disagree with Gerhard, I think the trample of horses needs more bass. The sounds generally need a bit more bass, IMO.
The sound of metal is awesome, it reminds me a bit of M2:TW.

I like the fact that the grunts sound a bit more realistic and not like everyone took a nice breeze of sulfurhexaflouride before going into battle, though...

You did a very good job, I do think the sounds are a bit shallow, though... But it could be personal preference and maybe depend on the speakers...

Thanks for the feedback, Soil
When I first started sound editing I made the mistake of overdoing my sounds and making them too beefy and mono(same sounding). For a good sound experience the sounds must complement each other and fit together nicely while containing a good variety. In situations where many different sounds are playing at once, the audio should mesh together without any sounds drowning the others out and not sound painful to the ears.  A flurry of very loud mono sounds is actually painful to the ears and this of course means a bad audio experience. This is why I don't like to overdo my sounds and make them too beefy. Of course personal taste is a factor but it is very hard to please everybody.
I went with how the audio sounds personally to me, so more feedback is welcome.     

Just tried it out in game and I really enjoyed them.  Thanks for releasing these sounds and for making them available for modders to use (with due credit of course). 

@ Soil, I'm wondering if it may be your audio card and/or speaker setup?  With my setup, and it is not a very expensive one, the Calvary literally "thundered" and shook my desk.  It started out slow but as more horses took off it rolled through my sub-woofer.

These sound more realistic, to me, and not over done, like most of what I hear out there.  Checkmaty what you said is a perfect way on how I feel about what you did.  Again I truly believe you have done an outstanding job.... Thanks again

Well, mine wasn't really expensive either but I didn't really feel the horses trample(I know, the sound usually really comes if the horses gallop, but even with my subwoofer I have right next to me and my bass turned to maximum I couldn't really feel it).
I've had horses ride by me very close and I must say that really shook the ground under me(it was at max 5 horses, if I remember correctly, imagine that with 40 or even more horses!).

I should say that some sounds are fine(there's no need for a BAM! when you hardly hit someone with your sword or an arrow landed in the ground, but using mostly javelins in game I find it a bit unsatisfying to hear only a 'tsing' and an 'youch' when I throw my javelin from 5 m distance from my galopping horse on a foot soldier for 50 damage into his chest...

Another thing I'd like to add is that it's actually not a simple 'blop' when you hit a shield with proper force.

Last but not least: I don't want to say you did a bad job, just that I disagree with a few sounds :razz:

Back
Top Bottom