NNY (Gameplay mod): Sources released | Mod is on hiatus

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello there,

05.12.08 Mod goes on hiatus till at least February.
29.11.08 Source code released, see bottom

What is this?

Not much yet, it adds a few gameplay features but perhaps it becomes something big and earning a real name.

Current features:

- Talk to the Village Elder/Guild Master with the game menu.
- Create your own party, give them troops and order them around.
They follow, stay or patrol.
Added support for paying them wages and them helping you in battle.
- Bribe bandits into following you (currently they join your party, but perhaps there is potential to keep them as a party)
- Buy ale in a tavern to make your fellows happy.
- Recruit townsmen, refugees and manhunter in the tavern by talking to the  tavern keeper. (like in 0.808 and earlier)
- Other things I perhaps forgot

Plans:

Firstly, if those features work without bugs I want to offer the source for them.
Secondly I would like to make the middle-endgame a bit more interesting:
There is a nicely developed idea about parlay in the suggestion forum.
Adding a special reward for taking over castles from your liege (think lordly item).
And probably other things that are grasping my mind.

What do you need?

I could need someone who writes a few lines of dialog. It isn't exactly my strength.
A bit of background knowledge would be nifty. But I guess that belongs in the sage's guild.
And telling me about any bugs or problems you may encounter.
Suggestions how to balance the new features wouldn't hurt either.

Credits:
me so far
and taleworlds obviously

Download

Since someone asked, everyone is free to use the source, just give the credits where it's due.
Source code

Clear something up for me please, does this mean you can have multiple parties :?:

phorest said:

Clear something up for me please, does this mean you can have multiple parties :?:
yeah u are correct i think hehe

Basically, you need to go into triggers, set it so that they spawn, and tell when and where, how many there can be at any one time, reference a script to spawn them, then go to party templates and create the party and add the units you want, then go into dialogues and change it so that they have dialogues when they are encountered, with a way to attack or go away, then you need to debug it.

Titanshoe said:
but how do u make more parties?

You talk to a fellow soldier, there is a new dialog beside the "tell me about your stats" one. [P - Talk - Second dialog entry]
It spawns a new party called "Patrol" for the lack of a better word yet. Then talk to them.

Sorry if it isn't very intuitive.

Hey that's really cool!  This would be great if it would mesh with Blood and Glory http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,50350.0.html, that's almost like the finishing of Native...so to speak.

FS

Thanks for the kind words.

FleshyStarfish said:
Hey that's really cool!  This would be great if it would mesh with Blood and Glory http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,50350.0.html, that's almost like the finishing of Native...so to speak.

FS

SoTAL said:
Yes, talk to Zanyr about integrating mods. If you manage to merge them somehow, it'd be great.

To quote myself:

Firstly, if those features work without bugs I want to offer the source for them.

So this should eventually happen.

Telapicus said:
Nice work Geoffrey how about for a name OldNative

Thanks for the suggestion.

Did anyone break the code yet? Bugs/problems?

Very impressive.

You forgot to say that bandits, looters etc. now join the battle if you attack some of them.
I almost got mobbed by 20 looters thinking I only engaged 6 - Nice feature  :smile:

I have yet to find any bugs, but I have some thoughts:
Patrols:
I think the name is just fine, by the way. They make the player very powerful.
Later in the game you can have multiple parties at your side. So as the mod is now, the enemies should be stronger.
You can also become much quicker on the map by having several small parties instead of one large.
That way you easily catch all enemies in sight (think of the quests to capture spies and runaway villagers).
All in all the game is much easier. That needs to be balanced.

Recruiting at taverns:
Excellent. But the troops there are more expensive than at villages (about 24-54 denars per troop).
Perhaps I'll just hire at villages instead. But then again, I get to hire refugees (women) that are hard to come by  :smile:

Buying ale at taverns:
To boost the morale this way is really good. I think native lacks more ways to boost morale (food is not very efficient).

Adorno said:
Very impressive.

You forgot to say that bandits, looters etc. now join the battle if you attack some of them.
I almost got mobbed by 20 looters thinking I only engaged 6 - Nice feature  :smile:

Ehm yes, but then this isn't the first mod to introduce it :smile: (Timeless Kingdoms springs to mind)

I have yet to find any bugs, but I have some thoughts:
Patrols:
I think the name is just fine, by the way. They make the player very powerful.
Later in the game you can have multiple parties at you side. So as the mod is now, the enemies should be stronger.
You can also become much quicker on the map by having several small parties instead of one large.
That way you easily catch all enemies in sight (think of the quests to capture spies and runaway villagers).
All in all the game is much easier. That needs to be balanced.

Have you got any idea to balance it?

I could think of limiting the amount of patrols to the value of the leadership skill and them only be able to take half your party limit?
Reenable the non npc parties (foragers/partols/war parties)?
Increase their wages?

They also shouldn't take prisoners, unless I add a new dialog for prisoner exchange.

Any complains about the lack of their aggressiveness?

Recruiting at taverns:
Excellent. But the troops there are more expensive than at villages (about 24-54 denars per troop).
Perhaps I'll just hire at villages instead. But then again, I get to hire refugees (women) that are hard to come by  :smile:

I'll look into it.

Buying ale at taverns:
To boost the morale this way is really good. I think native lacks more ways to boost morale (food is not very efficient).

What other ways could you imagine?

Thank you a lot for the input.

Can I input this in Dukes and Mercenaries?

Tell does this have a feature to have lords when you have your own kingdom? that is really missing in native, recruiting lords. I think age of machinery has this feature but I don't like their arty.

Geoffrey Ashe said:
The patrols could be limited - as you say - and they could be more expensive - and have a maximum size.
Perhaps double the amount of troop costs to troops in patrols.
A fun feature could be desertion: On rare occasions a patrol could be bribed to switch sides (not sure how though). (Yes, I've played Medieval II  :smile:)
Introducing the 'old' foragers, scouts etc. would be fun (it's being done in 'The Return of Zendar' mod).

About more ways to boost morale:
I can only think of the possibility to hold feasts at castles and towns to increase morale (it could just be an option in castle/town menu when you own it).

You should think of a name for the mod, perhaps make a poll; it'd be fun  :smile:

NICK.ALTMAN said:
Can I input this in Dukes and Mercenaries?

Tell does this have a feature to have lords when you have your own kingdom? that is really missing in native, recruiting lords. I think age of machinery has this feature but I don't like their arty.

To make it clear one more time: I want to release the source (I don't know when, next weekend sounds nice, but no promise) till I am sure there are no problems with balancing or bugs or something.

And you can't recruit any lords yet. How does age of machinery do it? I heard that you get a lord each time you capture a castle?

Adorno said:
Geoffrey Ashe said:
The patrols could be limited - as you say - and they could be more expensive - and have a maximum size.
Perhaps double the amount of troop costs to troops in patrols.
A fun feature could be desertion: On rare occasions a patrol could be bribed to switch sides (not sure how though). (Yes, I've played Medieval II  :smile:)
Introducing the 'old' foragers, scouts etc. would be fun (it's being done in 'The Return of Zendar' mod).

Desertion sounds cool.
And I know that Chel has done the reintroducing of the parties in an earlier M&B version, but I can't remember if he released the source.

About more ways to boost morale:
I can only think of the possibility to hold feasts at castles and towns to increase morale (it could just be an option in castle/town menu when you own it).

This isn't very different to the ale. But perhaps feasting can increase relation with the town or something. Nice idea.

You should think of a name for the mod, perhaps make a poll; it'd be fun  :smile:

Too be honest I already got one in my mind.I want to call it LIM - Lordly Interaction Mod.
It's just that, that it doesn't make much sense yet and I don't want to get any hopes up.
Especially as I can't and won't make any promises.

You can still make suggestions for a name if you like though.

very good, simple gameplay changes like this can be fun for far longer than any amount of new items.
I had about 10 patrols of bandits (totaling near a thousand) and I conquered all of calradia with them.
Patrols are the best thing in the world, now I can have armies placed at key locations (mountain passes, bridges ect...), I like the tavern recruiting, it brings back all the nostalgia. the ale in tavern is a great idea as well, there is a bug with the tavern recruited units: they don't upgrade into other units, or is it just a native error?

Awesome mod! I love the creating-patrol-parties feature. My suggesstion is to allow other lords the same advantage, let them creat patrol parties too. It'll be total chaos......

Questions...

1. Is this mod compatible with 1.003?

2. Can you have companions like Rolf and Matheld lead their own parties? That is something I'd like to see...Train them up to be Lords and Ladies....and then be able to award fiefs to them.

kavien said:
very good, simple gameplay changes like this can be fun for far longer than any amount of new items.
I had about 10 patrols of bandits (totaling near a thousand) and I conquered all of calradia with them.

I am glad you like it but wow, Adorno was definitely correct about the imbalance. :smile:
I am sorry to tell you, but I am currently balancing them. But the way I am doing this there should be an easy way to get around (two or so values), so you can have your monster parties again.

Patrols are the best thing in the world, now I can have armies placed at key locations (mountain passes, bridges ect...), I like the tavern recruiting, it brings back all the nostalgia. the ale in tavern is a great idea as well, there is a bug with the tavern recruited units: they don't upgrade into other units, or is it just a native error?

I remember that the townsmen didn't want to upgrade at first but I thought I fixed it. I'll look into it. What about the refugees and the manhunters?

sergeant113 said:
Awesome mod! I love the creating-patrol-parties feature. My suggesstion is to allow other lords the same advantage, let them creat patrol parties too. It'll be total chaos......

I figure reactivating the old parties will do. (It's definitely on my list)

Sir Garon said:
Questions...

1. Is this mod compatible with 1.003?

2. Can you have companions like Rolf and Matheld lead their own parties? That is something I'd like to see...Train them up to be Lords and Ladies....and then be able to award fiefs to them.

1. It's for 1.010/1.011.

2. No, maybe in the future.

Back
Top Bottom