Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynores

Baron
Πελοποννησιακός Πόλεμος
The Peloponnesian War

l22hk0.jpg
Thermopylae

Download Demo version for M&B v.1.010/1.011 (Megaupload - 398mb)

Mirror:

Merlkir said:

This is a demonstration version. The download is pretty big, so you might want to wait for the alpha release before trying it out. See the current features below.

If you have any problems walking around the map, check this post to fix it. For some reason the boundaries settings got mixed up after the compression, at least for me.

The men behind the deal:

Lynores - All models and textures (exceptions below):
von Schweinewitz - Sceneing, research and especially pulling my ear whenever I slapped and stabbed accuracy. This mod would be half of what it is if it wasn't for his criticism and ideas.

Current demo version features:

Faction Replacements:
  • The Athenian Empire - Replaces the Swadians;
  • The State of Lacedaemon (Spartans) - Replaces the Rhodoks;
  • The Boeotian League - Replaces the Vaegirs;
  • The Scythian Tribes - Replaces the Khergits;
  • The Thracian Tribes - Replaces the Nords;

New Systems:

• Death Scripts - Everyone can die. Having a party with high surgery, wound treatment and first aid skills helps diminishing the risk. (Script adapted from MAW's "Death Script")
  • Lords' death - If they are captured, lords can also be killed, but expect several consequences. (Script adapted from Mirathei's "Gunthunder Script")
  • Assassination - The higher the number of enemies and lords killed and enemies made, the higher the chance of being ambushed by skilled assassins. If they succeed, the character will be dead for good. It is possible, however, to recruit up to five bodyguard mercenaries that will stay with him at all times.
  • Ability to start your own kingdom and recruit your own lords (accessible through the camp menu) - Courtesy of Highlander
  • Sabotage - Once a kingdom has a low enough relation towards you, it is possible to pay spies to enter a town or castle to try and sabotage their food supplies. If they succeed, starvation will eventually force the enemy into surrender, provided the siege isn't lifted.
  • Formations - Courtesy of Mirathei (the keys are the same, please refer to this thread for further information.
  • Shield Bashing - Courtesy of Mirathei (hold defense then press attack to bash)

Gameplay Changes (list will be updated):

• Horses are extremely expensive, due to their seldom appearance in our timeframe. Their charge has been increased and their hitpoints reduced.
  • Spears are faster, meaner and they usually hit three or four at a time, thanks to Mirathei's formation script. Good timing is the rule of thumb in a phalanx.
  • There are rare items to be looted, like spartan shields that can't be purchased. There are also unique items such as kings' shields or personal equipment, that may be sold for a good amount of gold or kept for personal use.
  • Increased party size and boosted leadership bonus to keep up with it.
  • Armies are stronger, and recruit units are not fielded anymore.
  • Some village improvements have been boosted.
  • New Kingdom units (to be listed soon)
  • New Mercenary units (to be listed soon)

NOTES:

A few observations regarding accuracy and the alpha release of TPW / PP:
  • One of the greek factions might be replaced by thracians, due to map restrictions;
  • The corinthian helmet might be favored over the latter and more accurate pilos, for aesthetical reasons;
  • Plain white clothing (not armor) implementation might be delayed until I work around native's lack of good shaders for them;
  • Cuirasses will still be seen, as sources point to some men of the higher echelon choosing to buy a full panoply, as well as inherited weaponry.

"(...) for we can deduce from a number of references that cuirasses continued to be used well into the peloponnesian war."
N. Sekunda, A. McBride. The Ancient Greeks, pg.14.

Note that these restrictions are intentional and they will be addressed after the first release. An optional patch covering the above topics will be released next. Despite the small timeframe gap subject, everything is meant to be as accurate as possible. The references are the classics, coinage, Mr. Sekunda's work (Osprey), excavated material researches, articles and advice from Mr. Stefanos (ΙΣΤΟΡΙΚΕΣ ΣΕΛΙΔΕΣ magazine author/researcher), and a few others. If anything is out of place and went unnoticed, feel free to give me a heads up.

Planned features for the alpha release:

• New map - done, but porting needed
  • New buildings - done, just standing by to be added to new scenes
  • New scenes - some are finished, but these will be ported gradually
  • New, expanded troop trees
  • New companions

Planned features for the beta release:

• New factions
  • Misc. systems - tactical and political
  • Naval Combat System (will depend on gameplay)

Thanks to:

Talon, for his suggestions and model contributions:
  • Scythian Helmet Model
  • Boeotian Helmet Model
  • Illyrian Helmet Model
  • Makhaira Sword Model
  • Parazoonion Sword Model

(Talon, please let me know if I forgot anything)

Ijzzbloc, for his building model contributions:
  • housesmall
  • lookouttower
  • barrackssmall

ATG (greek general icon) and KLA (player icon - slightly retextured) (both from TWC community).

TYR, for his furniture models - not implemented yet

wildhorse - New horses (Open Source Project)

Merlkir, Rez-TWC & Aqtai for lending several good references

Albert G Lopez (from Roman Army Talk) for the main screen artwork

Zaro for the Graphical Enhancement Mod world textures

What I need:

Scene makers. The props are in the demo release. Just play around and send me the scene. Your help will be much appreciated and it will speed up the alpha development.

Recommended System Specs:

Windows XP 64-bit, Windows XP, Windows 2000
2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
2 GB System RAM
512 MB Direct3D compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
vertex shader 2.0 support
8x DVD-ROM drive
DirectX 9.0c

# Make sure you choose directx9 from the main M&B menu. It will allow for reflections and other features. The mod wasn't tested on directx 7.

Screenshots:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom