Overgrowth (formally Lugaru 2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Zantalos

Recruit
smalltitle.png

http://wolfire.com/overgrowth
Does anyone here remember Lugaru? They're making a sequel called Overgrowth and the beta is due in the next couple of months. This game focuses on combat, but it's also an open ended game like Mount and Blade so it takes place on a huge explorable map with multiple factions and races. Next to Mount & Blade Lugaru is probably one of the funnest indie games I've ever played before and I just can't wait for the sequel.

Do you guys have a facebook? If you guys have one, please add overgrowth as a fan, as soon as they get 500 John will start beta testing (alpha testing actually). They also post their music, new game art, and videos to facebook whenever they make a blog update.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Overgrowth/39924081634?sid

Is it Oblivion Open ended, as in a linear storyline with an Fake open endedness with nothing else to do but quests.

Or is it X3/M&B open ended as in you can do whatever the hell you want, including building a house? (can't build a house for yourself in M&B though :sad: )

They changed the title to Overgrowth because not that many people head of Lugaru 1 so they created a whole new title so people wouldn't feel like they need to play the original.

I think it's going to be more open ended like.. I really don't like Oblivion but I think it will be more like it because you have to be a ninja rabbit named Turner, you can't make your own character. And, I think you will have a story to follow but I don't think it will be as generic as Oblivion's find hidden gates, go inside gates, collect loot, fight mini boss, close gate, repeat, it will be more like Lugaru 1 but you won't be forced down a linear mission after mission. You'll be able to recruit allies to help you, and you will be able to freely travel the world and fight enemies. They're also making a sweet climbing system I heard, from a paragamer interview, it's going to be similar to Assassin's Creed but more smooth because it uses physics based animations so you'll be able to climb things like trees and straight up cliff walls.

http://paragamer.com/overgrowth-interview-with-wolfire

I have been following Lugaru 2 (and thus now Overgrowth) since I got Lugaru 1, can't wait! I should probably pre-order it, you get to play alphas and see more progress, stuff like that.

Seemed like a direct copy of the old fashioned wandering beat em up's moved into 3D to me.

Though the open world thing strikes me as a bit pointless. It's not the kind of game you'd want to play for longer than an hour or so at a pop.

The open world thing was something they said in very early stages, we'll see how it turns out now that they're working on it full-time. Maybe they'll introduce some more RPG elements to make it more than a direct copy of the old fashioned wandering beat em up's moved into 3D.

I think they might be better served taking the opposite tack and assuming that players are going to be dipping in for around an hour at a time to scratch their itch actually. Adding in extra to keep players interested for longer periods would detract from the combat and you'd end up with something like Jade Empire.

I just played the lugaru 1 demo, it's pretty damn kickass. I like the insanely exagerrated physics on the combatants, it makes for lots of silliness.

Seems like alpha might be out tomorrow, for those who preorder that is. (16 fans left)

Dear god I loved this game. Purely epic. Great memories. I really hope its open ended with moddability.

I remember the maps seeming to go on forever and wishing for there to be an entire world of vicious rabbits..

Skyrage said:
Hmm, will the story continue from Lugaru 1?

Man that game kicked so much ass :grin:
Yes, they may or not rewrite what happened in Lugaru 1, but you'll still be Turner and you will still fight against wolves. In this game however, there are actually 3 more races besides rabbits and wolves, there will be cats who are sly, manipulative, and love fancy things, they will get rabbits to work for them and dogs to fight for them. Then there are rats who are small and don't like to fight but they are numerous in size and love odd things and will steal from you things you wouldn't expect. Lastly dogs who I haven't heard much about but they are more loyal and domestic than wolves and will freely use weapons and armor that wolves won't.
Lhorkan said:
I have been following Lugaru 2 (and thus now Overgrowth) since I got Lugaru 1, can't wait! I should probably pre-order it, you get to play alphas and see more progress, stuff like that.
Yessss.
Ollieh said:
I'm probably going to pre-order when they near the alpha.
Oh my gosh guys, please! This is as near to alpha as you can get! Overgrowth is about 10 fans away from releasing the alpha game! Even if you don't have a facebook, you guys should seriously make one just so you can become a fan of Overgrowth. :smile:
I made one just for this game! It takes about 4 minutes and it's actually pretty cool, it behaves just like myspace but more like a forum and it's also much easier to find people you know. Totally worth it guys, takes only a couple minutes, just 10, no, 9 more fans until 500!

Edit: Whoa, you guys people are playing the alpha right now as we speak! They're on the wolfire IRC chat!

BECOME A FACEBOOK FAN

Ollieh said:
Guess what you can do in the alpha? Nothing...
Its a milestone nevertheless.

Care to elaborate? What are the controls like?

Back
Top Bottom