Multiplayer Mod Team Recruitment

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3asu

Sergeant
I think anyone who has ever played this game thinks "WOW! How amazing would this game be if it had multi-player." This matter has been brought up several times on this forum and nothing substantial has been done to move this game towards the PvP domain. Well it is time to start.

I am starting a team of modders, coders and testers to begin a project that will bring this beautiful single player game to the next level.

Why make Mount & Blade multi-player?
1. To bring more people to this great game and in turn thank Tale Worlds for their work.
2. Bring a new aspect to the game and therefore increase playability.
3. Meet and Beat other M&B players across the world in good fun.

The initial plan is to bring the combat of aspect of M&B Native online having arena matches and skirmishes on a dedicated server. Allowing for 1v1 duels with or without a retinue, commanders fighting it out on the field with a unit to an all out brawl in the arena or full out battle with multiple commanders and armies on a grassy plain. It is completely possible and there is no reason it shouldn't come to fruition.

There are obstacles that must be overcome to have M&B be PvP capable including coding, servers and of course balance. The first step is to modify the client so that it is able to connect to a dedicated server. Next purchase/find a dedicated server that will be donation based. Third create an online program that will allow players to synchronize. Fourth test, test, test the game system and network so that players will have fun. Finally release.

What we are looking for: dedicated and hard workers
Modders - Knowledge of the client and preferably experience in other mods.
Coders - Understanding of program languages, ability to create clean and concise programs and networking.
Testers -  Extensive experience with playing the game, and willingness to play test a lot.

If you are interested please message me or reply with the position(s) you would like to fill with why you would like to join and your past experience in the position.

Interesting, will you be spear heading the team, if so, do you have any experience in scripting and porting games into the multiplayer realm before?

I plan to spearhead this project helping it move along the best I can but by no means will this be a my way or the highway kind of team, we will work in counsel based system where everyone has a say to create the best program we can. I have no problems with giving leadership to someone who is more experienced and better able to run this project. The important part to me is getting this project on its feet.

I have experience scripting and modding in other games and basic knowledge of c++, my real skill is in management.

l3asu said:
I plan to spearhead this project helping it move along the best I can but by no means will this be a my way or the highway kind of team, we will work in counsel based system where everyone has a say to create the best program we can. I have no problems with giving leadership to someone who is more experienced and better able to run this project. The important part to me is getting this project on its feet.

I have experience scripting and modding in other games and basic knowledge of c++, my real skill is in management.

1685032301_e37b612fc7.jpg

I hope you realize that no one with the skills to do it will be even remotely interested in helping until you've got some stuff already done...in game.

Management is key and with out it a lot of mods fail.

I am working right now on small things like adding it to the menu, look at what type of servers would be needed, etc.

As I said before my goal in leading this project for now is to get this moving and if someone more qualified is able to take over I have no problem with that.

QuailLover,

Give him a break will you.  He seem to be very serious about it and let see what he will start with.  Yes I've seen so many other people who want to suggest MP but lacked skills.  This person have basic C++ skills which is a start.  So lets see what l3asu will start with and see how thing goes from there.  He is not one who beg people to work on mod, he is recruiting instead because he is trying to start this project with his skills. I am intruged see how he manage to start with his experience he had gone through.

And management skills is very important also, which l3asu have stated.  Becasue team without organized teamwork and communication will alway lead into chaotic modding time.  So if he is very good at management while he give this mod a start in very organized way, it will increase the chance of it being successful at once this project expands.

Eagle out...

l3asu said:
I think anyone who has ever played this game thinks "WOW! How amazing would this game be if it had multi-player." This matter has been brought up several times on this forum and nothing substantial has been done to move this game towards the PvP domain. Well it is time to start.

It is NOT possible to do this, how many times do people need to say this in every thread? You can not do this without starting a whole new platform of the game.

I would LOVE to see this, I really would, but it is not possible unless the developers do it themselves.

It would have to be a completely new game, just like someone else stated.

You'd have to make it un-modable so people can't use programs such as the unofficial item editor.
Cheaters would start making uber weapons (shudder) and pvp the fcuk out of everyone else.
Yeah that's fun.

these are all obstacles to be faced, but no it wouldn't a be complete revamp, but yes serious coding would go on.

l3asu said:
It is completely possible

could you elaborate on this point, after hearing for 4 years people of many experiences say this is "not possible" i find myself somewhat doubtful. if you have good reason to think it is possible i would love to hear it and many others would too i am sure :smile:

Bwahahaha!

I guess you're a charisma-based character with all your points dumped into Leadership, but I think you just rolled a critical failure in your Persuasion check.

Your relationship with Taleworlds Forums has changed from 0 to -43

When the primary developer of the game says, "We can't make it multiplayer" I take that to mean it can't be made multiplayer. There's almost no way to make it multiplayer without full access to the source.

What could be done is a mod that lets you export character information with some sort of checksum system to verify the file wasn't made cheatily, then run a ladder dealing with total kills, total renown, biggest movers etc. You could even have ratings for Most Headshots with a Bow. That would be a fairly simple system.

ragni said:
l3asu said:

It is NOT possible to do this, how many times do people need to say this in every thread? You can not do this without starting a whole new platform of the game.

I would LOVE to see this, I really would, but it is not possible unless the developers do it themselves.

yeah, don't forget to tell THEM it's not possible

Y'know what? **** it; count me in. I have absolutely zero experience with coding and whatnot, but I have a knack for picking apart game mechanics, finding bugs&exploits and things of that nature. Sure, I couldn't network to save my life, and I can barely make the cursor flash in BASIC, but you can count me in as a playtester.

Also, I have a friend who writes computer programs for a living. I'll see if he can help, though I make no promises. Right now he, myself and a few friends are hammering out a RPG of our own, so I do actually have some experience with playtesting.

I would love to see this take off, man. Ignore the nay-sayers. Yeah, the odds are stacked against it, but I'd much rather try and fail than just sit around pounding my pud all day.

l3asu said:
...  my real skill is in management.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry, it's just that this post ... multiplayer ... management ... impossible projects ... management ... the irony in this is incredible.

MBA: Let's promise the client all this stuff in a program.

Developer: We can't do that in 9 months with 2 guys.

MBA: Sure we can, I read it in a textbook during my on-line MBA course! Plus, it's too late. I already had the client sign the contract!

Developer: *facepalm*

Nothing is impossilbe, besides these people who are starting project would rather to start and try and see what happen instead of doing nothing at all.  We dont really know what would happen until we TRY.  So like I said, I am very intruged to see how these people progress so far and see what happen after that.

:wink:

Eagle out...

And the people who try and fails on something always learn something from it would either try different ways around it or move on.  It's about learning the lessons by trying many different things that have never been done.  Fail or not, it is these people opportunity to work on and grow experiences and learn from it. It is never a waste of time to try something different, especially a very challenging one.

So it wont hurt to see how they will progress in this!

:wink:

Eagle out...

Eagle114th said:
And the people who try and fails on something always learn something from it would either try different ways around it or move on. 

It's time you learn that some things are not possible within your means.

@13asu

Count me in. I think I'm better than you in management, so I think I'll take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom