Sandbox Shooter

Users who are viewing this thread

Far Cry 2 should be out at the end of the month, and it's almost pure sandbox. PCG were rather impressed with it - http://www.farcry2world.com/farcry-2-news_186_Exclusive-PCGamer-Article.html

Boiling Point. Buggier than a harbor-whore's pubes, but pretty decent at times.

I'm with Worbah here, especially being that I believe we're the only people in the world to play the game and like it.
Nice FPS in South America, with factions like Government, Rebels, Mafia, Indians etc with massive quest trees building your way up their chain but in a much more complex way than "I DUNT TRUST U NEWBE, WAIT, NOW I LIKE YOU!"
I remember the mission where you have to gain the Governments trust to steal the plans from the base for the rebels, but the Government wanted me to wipe out a Indian camp nearby, who I liked and had recently hunted down a man eating panther in the jungle for so I wasn't going to do that.
I entered the base fine, they weren't so bothered unless I tried to go near a restricted area, which I promptly burst into, stabbing the guard, grabbing the plans and shooting my way out. Driving like the wind they were unleashing a hail of bullets at me and burst all my tires and I swerved into a tree, stumbling out the car I ran into the forest, I saw the headlights of Humvees zoom past and voices shouting getting nearer so I legged it all the way back to the Rebel base on ****ing foot, took me forever.
But boy, what a memory.

Redcoat - Mic said:
I'm with Worbah here, especially being that I believe we're the only people in the world to play the game and like it.
Nice FPS in South America, with factions like Government, Rebels, Mafia, Indians etc with massive quest trees building your way up their chain but in a much more complex way than "I DUNT TRUST U NEWBE, WAIT, NOW I LIKE YOU!"
I remember the mission where you have to gain the Governments trust to steal the plans from the base for the rebels, but the Government wanted me to wipe out a Indian camp nearby, who I liked and had recently hunted down a man eating panther in the jungle for so I wasn't going to do that.
I entered the base fine, they weren't so bothered unless I tried to go near a restricted area, which I promptly burst into, stabbing the guard, grabbing the plans and shooting my way out. Driving like the wind they were unleashing a hail of bullets at me and burst all my tires and I swerved into a tree, stumbling out the car I ran into the forest, I saw the headlights of Humvees zoom past and voices shouting getting nearer so I legged it all the way back to the Rebel base on ****ing foot, took me forever.
But boy, what a memory.
They're making a sequel that's supposed to be released this fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Gold:_War_in_Paradise

SMOD: Tactical, sort of like Operation Flashpoint or Red Orchestra in Source.  You can download weapon models (Usually from FPS Banana under CSS models) and put them in.  Comes with a "MapAdd" program that'll add enemies and other NPCs to a map, can set them to either respawn after being killed or stay dead.

Oh, you do need HL2 and Counter Strike:Source to play it.

It was the bugs that made Boiling Point. Nothing better than seeing a panther flying around the jungle, or getting into a car and suddenly accelerating to somewhere just below the speed of light.

NPC combats were my favourite though. Some of the bugs that hit them were hilarious (such as seeing two guys shooting at each other suddenly put the guns away and stroll on like nothing happened).

The patches pretty much fixed most of the major ones though, best bugfix ever has to be "shooting the police station with a crossbow no longer causes it to explode."

Redcoat - Mic said:
The patches pretty much fixed most of the major ones though, best bugfix ever has to be "Shooting the police station with a crossbow no longer causes it to explode."
Seriously!? That's hilarious.

I'm getting it.

Talking about bugs? Nothing can beat Trespasser. Nothing like a velociraptor entering a house, hitting a wall and bashing around the room like a 200kg bouncy ball, and end up straddling on a table, unable to move. Or catapulting through the air after trying to pick up a plank while standing on it

Other good ones.

Compilation of strange jurassic age incidents: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93eNKNPjIFY&feature=related

an epic battle of a raptor and stegosaurus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61cNap2aSlY

Redcoat - Mic said:
The patches pretty much fixed most of the major ones though, best bugfix ever has to be "shooting the police station with a crossbow no longer causes it to explode."

:shock: Sounds like fun. :lol: Count me in! :grin:

I just got 'Just Cause'. A sandbox GTA clone.
You play as a CIA agent meant to overthrow a dictator in South America.
So it's pretty much a fantasy game, since the CIA have installed more dictators than they've removed  :smile:

Anyway, it's fun if you like GTA, but with some bugs (and searching I couldn't find any patches) - and it has some control issues.
And it's cheap. 

I'm getting curious about Boiling Point now that I read up on it. Seems to be a really good game that isn't your average FPS if you look past all the bugs.

Back
Top Bottom