Definition of intellect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't exactly call it abstract. It's more a descriptive word than anything else, same as happy or sad.

Unless you call them abstracts as well.

Bellum said:
Well then, you might as well join Arch and go all the way. Because when I say 'Water' every one of us comes up with a different mental picture for the liquid substance. Therefor, it is subjective...?

(Note: The question mark is there because I consider it to be bs.)

I'm not talking about the (arguable) subjectiveness of reality, I'm talking about the subjectiveness of subjective concepts. :lol:

Llew2 said:
Well then, you might as well join Arch and go all the way. Because when I say 'Water' every one of us comes up with a different mental picture for the liquid substance. Therefor, it is subjective...?

Not that crap again :razz:

Another definition of intellect - the ability to distinguish between an actual bug, and you just being a ****tard who can't configure or maintain a computer, should probably have started with an abacus and worked their way up, and really needs to be taken somewhere and given a good kicking.

/rant

Intellect:
Specific potential structural networks of neurons that result in an effective desired thought process under a given environment.

Basically effective thinking, if it has the desired outcome, it's good. Intellect can be the ability to make a fire with nothing but sticks and bark, or it can be the ability to analyse colours, brush patterns and texture on a piece of art to make a subjective assessment of it's aesthetic value.

It all depends on what you want the mind to be doing. I'll never be a writer, musician or artist, but that's not my priority, my brain doesn't need to do that to accomplish what I need from it so, for me that's irrelevant.

It's just an organ, clumsily built and ridiculously infective at points, intellect is just a subjective measure of it's ability for it to do what it wants to accomplish effectively. It's not a measurable quantity.

Although we can make value judgements on the uses of those particular functions, I mean who ever made neurally linked artificial limbs using a mind fine tuned to analyse musical sound patterns. :razz:

hayabusa12 said:
How can I suck up to the teacher if there is not one present?

There is one now.

Intellect is the capability of gaining intelligence, knowledge and wisdom in my eyes.

I have a lot of intellect, but my general perfectionist nature combined with the attention span of a fish will stop me from doing anything worthwhile with it. Or, in other terms, my light autism that wishes to make things exactly like I want them to together with my ADD which prevents me from focusing on it long enough to actually do so, resulting in thousands of unfinished projects, waiting for renewed interest.

Zilberfrid said:
hayabusa12 said:
How can I suck up to the teacher if there is not one present?

There is one now.

Intellect is the capability of gaining intelligence, knowledge and wisdom in my eyes.

I have a lot of intellect, but my general perfectionist nature combined with the attention span of a fish will stop me from doing anything worthwhile with it. Or, in other terms, my light autism that wishes to make things exactly like I want them to together with my ADD which prevents me from focusing on it long enough to actually do so, resulting in thousands of unfinished projects, waiting for renewed interest.

Don't use your medical conditions as an excuse why you fail. Succeed despite them. Everybody goes through periods of starting a project and running out of steam. It's natural. You just have to persevere.

Anyway, IMO, wisdom is a separate thing altogether. Intelligence, IMO, is your capacity to learn. Wisdom is usually coupled with experience. You can have a person who isn't very intelligent, but is very wise. Or a person who is very intelligent but has the wisdom of a lemming. Intelligence is the ability to see what's in front of you, and to put it together in a way that fits. Wisdom is the ability to see what's beyond what's in front of you, and to look for the deeper meanings.

Wisdom is the ability to realise that sticking a fork in a toaster might not be the greatest idea.

I don't think it really comes with experience, it's just a part of intellect, the ability to analyse, make generalisations from and come to conclusions about the things you experience or learn.

Moss said:
Wisdom is the ability to realise that sticking a fork in a toaster might not be the greatest idea.

I don't think it really comes with experience, it's just a part of intellect, the ability to analyse, make generalisations from and come to conclusions about the things you experience or learn.

I would say that the fork/toaster analogy is intelligence, rather than wisdom.

Cloud Breaker said:
Just survival instinct.

Running away from barking dogs is survival instinct. There is nothing instinctive about toasters and forks. First of all, you have to grasp the basics of electricity. Second, you have to know that a metal fork is conductive. Third, someone (probably your parent, when you were about 4 years old) has to have told you that you that you will be hurt if you stick the fork in the toaster. That is logic and deductive reasoning, not instinct.

Never, in the history of the human species, has your ancestor ever followed the line of reasoning that goes; RED FROG = BAD, SHARP TEETH = OUCH, FIRE = HOT, FORK IN TOASTER = ELECTRIC SHOCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom