Definition of intellect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

13 Spider Bloody Chain

Grandmaster Knight
Just out of curiosity, what is YOUR definition of intellect/intelligence? Feel free to define it any way you please, whether it's a statistically definable attribute like IQ, or something far more abstract.

What was described sounds more like wit.

I like to make a distinction from other metnal powers.

Wit is the speed a person can think.
Knowledge is the breadth of understanding.
Intellect is the capacity of depth in understanding
Wisdom is the use of intellect to fill in for missing knowledge, or vice verse.

Wit is nothing more than an observation, humourously phrased and delivered with impeccable timing.

Knowledge is just the quantity of information that one knows.

When I think of intellect, I think of people just as John von Neumann, Richard Feynman and the like.

(John von Neumann used to say that whenever he went to the loo, he would bring two books with him, in case he finished one while on the bog)

Mmmm, bread. My mother knows how to make good bread. I should learn how to make bread so that when I head out on my own I don't have to eat ****ty store bought bread all the time.

Llew2 said:
The Or bread part made me lol.

Bellum said:
ArabArcher35 said:
A subjective concept. Nothing more than that. Its only value is what value you give it.

This.
Sure, but you could say that about any words...So it pretty much goes without saying.

No, you could say that about just about any abstract concept. The word 'road' means a pathway on the ground to walk or drive on. The word "democracy" means a system of government with specific traits. Abstract concepts have no real definitions. They are slightly different for everyone, so trying to give them formal definitions is pointless. What it really is is people trying to give the concept some sort of substantial validity, which it does not have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom