Alpha chanels on paint.net?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi
I used Highelfs amazingly useful tutorials to make some stuff and texture it and whatever. And now a couple of months later I've started doing some more stuff but I've been doing textures on paint.net becuase my photoshop trials run out. I've managed to figure out most of the controls but how do you make alpha chanels so that metal stuff is shiny?

Good question, I'll download Paint.net and figure it out. In the mean time try Gimp, its just like Photoshop except its free, and there hundreds of tutorials on their site.

Gimp

http://www.gimp.org/

pentagathus said:
I saved it as dxt5 but what do I open it with?
If you were able to save it as *.dds you should also be able to open it :smile:
Photoshop and GIMP have dds plugins for them which enable save|load. Dunno about paint.net

If you were able to select DXT5 when saving as dds, you already created alpha channel. Now go to menues and find how you can view it with paint. Like "Channels window" or such

I didn't think paint.net had channels? GIMP certainly does, and is more powerful than paint.net anyway.

Here's a quote from Barf on another thread that tells you how to do Alphas in Gimp.

Re: Glossing certain sections of texture sheets..  « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 01:05:53 am » Reply with quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To edit the alpha channel with GIMP:

* Open the image
    * Go to the Image menu
    * Open the Mode submenu
    * Choose 'decompose'
    * Select the 2nd option: RGBA
    * Press Ok

Your image is now split into it's 4 component parts. Ignore the R, G and B channels, all you need here is the alpha channel.

Note: If at this point you get a messsage saying "No Alpha Channel available", you will need to create one. In the Layer menu, select Transparency and then 'Add Alpha channel'.

Anything black in the alpha channel will be transparent in the main image, and anywhere there's white the graphics will be visible. Shades in between can be used to fine-tune the transparency. Edit the alpha channel using any tool you like, you can even copy/paste from the RGB channels if that's easier.

Once you've edited the alpha channel for your image, you need to re-combine the 4 channels. To do this:

* Open the Image menu
    * Open the Mode submenu
    * Choose 'compose'
    * Select RGBA
    * Press Ok

Use the iron_shader as ive had bad luck with iron_shader_skin, (ps the dark parts of the Alpha will be less shiny). 

You could also use Mapzone2 for creating textures, You'd just have to figure out what effects you can use and which ones you can't use on Mount & Blade.

It will automatically create your specular and alpha maps from your diffuse map.

For more info check here:

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/?PAGE=FEATURES

You can easily edit alpha chanels on Paint.net:

1) Open up the dds. texture in DXTBmp (http://www.fly.to/mwgfx).

2) The alpha chanel is in the upper, right corner of the window. Click on the picture. (you need to have set your editor to Paint.net first..)  :wink:

3) EDIT!  :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom