REMINDER: Released mods in game-specific boards

Users who are viewing this thread

I know from experience that the large majority of modders like it when other people play their mods, and give feedback about them.  For me it gives incentive to do more work as I know people are looking forward to it and will enjoy it.

Questions like "When release?" would be more likely to be asked in unreleased mods, right?  Giving released mods more or equal publicity to unreleased will give new members the choice whether they want to view released mods, or unreleased mods.  As it is now, I think most newer people come in to the pioneers guild thinking its the mod forum, since it says "mods" not "un-released mods".  (That is speaking from my own experience, as I've mentioned earlier).

Another thing is, if the forums are switched or given equal positions, the large number of released mods still in the pioneers guild will want to move over to the cartographers guild, thus sorting the mods properly.  Right now I understand them wanting to stay here as they won't be seen much if they move.

What you said is very true spot on actualy the first place i went when i joined the forums(yesterday) i went straight here to look for some released mods.

I agree with most others that the 'Released Mods' board does get lost or missed by many people and isn't visited as much.  However, to keep things organized I think its essential that we keep this.  I really like the idea of adding more child boards and then only having sticky threads in the main Mods forum (Pioneer's Guild).  Add a stick thread for general questions about mods and things like that so people could post in if they were confused.  As Garnier said, I think this would make all the child boards 'equal' to each and traffic for the Released Mods would pick up.  I also thing it might be a good idea to have two Released Mods boards, one for Pre 1.x and one for 1.x and above.  That way all the child boards for 0.751, 0.808, 0.903 and other versions could be moved to a different forum so they wouldn't be lost and it would make the "1.x Released Mods" forum much easier to view and understand.

Garnier said:
Something really should be done about the forum situation.  You'll notice there's five times as many people viewing this forum which is only supposed to be for WiPs and ideas and such, and only a few people viewing the actual released mods forum.
There's around ten times as many mods in development at any one time than there are released. In addition, for most mods you see more people downloading it from the repository than even look at the thread, let alone post in it. The vast majority seem to hit the repository rather than this board.

It just doesn't make sense for unreleased mods, ideas and so on to have so much more publicity than released mods.
People tend to be more interested in mods which are in development than released mods in general, and you'll always see more activity in a development thread than you will a released mod. It's the entire reason the two boards are separate.

The change we're currently mooting is to split the released mod section into Native Tweaks, Native Expansions and Total Conversions.

I don't mean to be a pain, but would it not be proper then, to move all the released mods from the pioneers guild to the cartographers guild? 

And about splitting the forum between different mod genres, we've tried that on TWC (I'm a senior mod there) and it didn't really help anything.  Splitting the mods up just means you have to look through more forums to find the one you want.  It's up to you guys but I don't recommend it.

When I'm new on a forum looking for mods I look for released ones, not every random person's "idea" thread.  So I like it when its easy to find the released mods.  Here, theres a lot of released mods in the pio guild, and a bunch more in the carto guild.  So there's two forums of mods to look through.  I don't think I am the only one who didn't know released mod threads were all in the carto guild.

Here's a list of mods here in the pio guild that have a release and technically should be in the carto guild:  (These are just ones that have had a post in the last 12 hours, there's a lot more im sure that haven't been posted in today.)
Better Horses Mod
Brutality Mod
Medieval Duke & Mercenaries Altman Version
Fury of Odin, a viking mod for 1.011
Sword of Damocles - Invasion (Gameplay) Released 4 XII 2008 
RemadeNative Mod (Released already)
  NNY (Gameplay mod): Sources released
"Swing/slash/thrust animation"

Garnier said:
I don't mean to be a pain, but would it not be proper then, to move all the released mods from the pioneers guild to the cartographers guild? 
Quite right. Did you perchance read the first post? That's what this topic is primarily about.

Thanks for pointing those out. They're all moved now.

As I mentioned above, I do think it would be helpful to eventually move some of the pre 1.x mods to either a different released mods forum or create a child board under released mods to store all of these.  I know they are technically released mods (and some great ones at that), but as everybody moves to 1.x this will give us a place to store some of those mod threads from 0.751, 0.808, etc, without them causing additional clutter or confusion.  In terms of the idea of splitting the released mods board more, I'm not sure there would be enough mods to justify a separate native tweaks and native expanded forums, and it might be tough to draw the line between expanded and total conversion?  However, anything that adds more organization would be great so maybe combine native compatible mods and native tweaks together into one forum?

Garnier said:
We do, but unless someone points out the mod is released it relies on us noticing it, which is by no means a given. Same with the featured mod news at the top of the page.
HokieBT said:
As I mentioned above, I do think it would be helpful to eventually move some of the pre 1.x mods to either a different released mods forum or create a child board under released mods to store all of these.
Problem is they'd end up moving across eventually anyway. You'd be left once more with a single board full of the active mods, and a few dead mods lingering on the sub board, which does nothing but delay the problem rather than solving it.
  In terms of the idea of splitting the released mods board more, I'm not sure there would be enough mods to justify a separate native tweaks and native expanded forums,
It's not a question of how many there are. There are two things we're looking to solve, the first problem is inactive mod threads dropping out of sight; which tends to happen to a lot of the tweaks since people tend to comment less. The second is that the main questions we tend to see are along the lines of "is there a mod which does X", which separating into categories might help cut down on, since at the moment there's no way of telling if "Bandit Lord mod" is a mod that adds a bandit faction, or if it's a mod set in ancient China, which for lazy peoples who don't read the thread is confuzzling :wink:
and it might be tough to draw the line between expanded and total conversion?
Not really. Expansion would be anything which simply adds to Calradia, total conversion would be anything which replaces Calradia with another setting. It's largely to help channel those looking for something which adds to the basic game experience, say a mod that lets you rule your own faction, and those looking for a completely new game experience, such as TLD or similar. It sort of helps since most of the TC's have their own boards, so it's likely that it will mainly be a parent for the majority of sub boards, which means that the threads we have for mods we can't host sub-boards for (such as TLD) will actually be visible here rather than skulking at the bottom of the CG, which might encourage a few more people to try it out.

There's a few more things this change will let us do in terms of drawing attention to mods too, which is another complaint we see regularly (even if we're the only ones willing to do anything about it, not that I'm bitter or anything :razz: ). For example, we could link the Native Expansion board into the M&B discussion board which will raise visibility there, or the Tweak board to the Apprentice Guild so new players get to see how the game can be customised.
Another change I'm considering is making a submission to the mod publicity thread compulsory for anyone requesting a sub-board so we actually have something we can use to publicise the mod.

I just ran on a problem with my mod development. For the new release I wanted to collect some new ideas for my mod. People usually have a lot ideas to share with the world (wherever the world wants it or not :wink: ) so i thought that i will just ask and get flooded with requests for new features (and would have hard work with weeding out this ideas). I was not :smile: . Of course it might be just the problem with my mod being unattractive i.e. but i think that low attendance to the Cartographers Guild where my mod hangs could also be the factor. Maybe people who are not modders themselves but have ideas assume that mods that are in Cartographers Guild are no longer under development and thus are not worth to look at?
On the other hand... Do i really need advice form people who can't even find proper subforum to look for mods? :wink:

To be constructive i would like to say that i like the idea of making Pioneer's Guild subforum for Cartographers Guild. It seems to be reasonable. I don't like idea of more subforums it would cause more chaos in my opinion. Also leaving everything as it is is not so bad either, it's definitely better than doing any rash decisions.

Cheers

Edit: So I placed big announcement in the first post of my thread and now I'm very satisfied with results! I recived many great ideas. The contrast with discussions from Pioneer's Guild is huge. Average post in my thread has more words than whole page from Pioneer's Guild. And i don't get junk replies so more publicity isn't really better.

Hi moderatores.  Can you please create a sub-board for

heraldry native expansion

http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/visit.php?cid=1&lid=1091

with Family d'Stazia as moderating entity, please?

And can you please move to it,

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,56237.0.html

Thanks very much.

Mr and Mrs d'Stazia

johneb said:
hope i'm not mis-posting here, but maybe you should direct more people to the 'unofficial mount and blade file suppository, i mean, repository'. sorry i f i have overstepped ,but i'm sure i'll be scolded if i have
That is a place people can download most of them. However, not all of them are hosted there, and it furthermore isn't the place to discuss them (which would be here on the forum). So no.

Speaking from very recent personal experience i also vote that the pioneers guild and cartographers guild are switched. I myslef didnt even bother to enter the cartographers guild untill very recently figuring as was suggested earlier in the thread that it was a place for old outdated mods(except the stickied ones) and that there was no activity in that forum.

I got a question about requesting your own mod-board. In the requirements that Archonsod specifies in this topic; http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,20170.0.html,
he says that you need at least 15 pages in the original topic of the mod. Does this only counts for topics in the pioneers guild, or also at other boards/sections on the TW forum?

This because I have a board runnnig in the Benelux forum made by Raz on my request (where I am not a moderator), where the main language is Dutch, so my my question is, does that counts too, or is it based on topics in the pioneers guild when it comes to requesting a sub-board? Because the topic in the benelux forum was posted earlier then the one in the pioneers guild.

Greetz,

Jezze

Back
Top Bottom