Native Improved Mod for M&B 1.011. V.1.3 released on 30/10/08.

Users who are viewing this thread

cremo

Sergeant
NATIVE IMPROVED MOD V. 1.3 for taleworlds' Mount&Blade 1.011

By Cremo, all rights reserved

INTRODUCTION
Native Improved Mod (NIM) is a mod whose aim is to improve native without modifying his setting, graphics adding new items or companions that weren’t in the original game, or creating anything from blank: this mod wants to handle out many issues of the original native, still keeping all of native’s “feel”, allowing you to play at something that totally feels like native yet is much improved in his continuity.. that you could say it feels “more native” than native itself!
Have you ever thought that, too many times, the troops of different factions were too similar to each other, making it impossible to recognize them without the "show-names" option on? that, too many times, they equipped items they shouldn't have equipped (i.e. nord lords in khergit robes) or that they lacked some "uniqueness" (like vaegir troops being equipped with a mix between nord/khergit items)?
Have you ever thought that it was ridiculous that an heavy armored knight could ride a frail courser as fast as a naked woman on it? or that an horse archer could rode with no hands an horse without any penalty to his maneuverability?
Have you ever thought that the game was "won" when you got like 50 swadian knights since they could win in every condition? while there were troops that were totally useless (i.e. swadian seargents in comparisons to knights that were better even on foot).
Have you ever thought that the armor/weight ratio of many armors in native was without any balance so many times in native? or that you would have never been able to use a longbow on horseback?  and that throwing weapons were just too weak?

Than, this mod could be for you, and I suggest you read more about this to find out!

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. WHAT DOES THIS MOD DO?

2. VERSION HISTORY

3. DOWNLOAD LINKS/CHECK FOR NEWEST VERSION

4. INSTALLATION

5. COMPATIBILITY

6. ARMIES’ BALANCE

7. KNOWN PROBLEMS, CLARIFICATIONS AND ISSUE ABOUT BUGS/FEEDBACK

8. FUTURE EDITIONS AND THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD / HELP OUT THE MOD

9. CREDITS, THANKS AND WISHES, ABOUT USING PART OF THE MOD FOR YOUR OWN MOD

10. SCREENSHOTS

1. WHAT DOES THIS MOD DO, EXACTLY?

To cut it “short” this mod modifies the properties of horses (adding some encumbrance limits to the weight of the soldiers they can carry – no longer will you see heavy armored troops on frail coursers – and modifying all the other stats in order  to make each one of them useful, and to create a serious distinction between light, medium and heavy cavalry), weapons (with a great damage increase to throwing weapon – in order to make them finally useful not only to the player, but to the NPCs that now make a far greater use of them – but also a small mod to many other weapons, to put many of them more in line with the power of other weapons, and to create some weapon types that were “missing”: here we are “bastard axe” and “swingable from horse” scythe and military scythe, that still can be used to deal couched damage) and armors  (with a focus on consistency of weight/protection: no longer will you see lighter armor give        more protection than an heavier one, yet the armor protection of many lighter armors has been        improved in order to make the a viable alternative to heavier armors, especially for the footman PC/NPC but also to the horsemen that now have to deal with encumbrance limit of horses).

Note also that troops were modified accordingly to this rules, and now each one of them uses an horse compatible with their armor/equipment type (in particular horse archers now use only highly maneuverable saddle/steppe horse, if they want make to narrow circles around their enemies while shooting: it simply felt inconsistent to me that someone having both hands occupied to aim/shoot a bow could steer an horse as easy as someone with at least one hand free.. note that this also makes the use of throwing weapons from horseback useful, and there are NPCs that effectively use this technique with fast coursers, and are very good  especially against those horse-archers).

Yet the mod to the troops was much more consistent than this, because, in order to make each one of the 5 traditional faction of native having a more unique “look” (that will enable you to recognize the different troops even with the “show-name” function turned off), the mod (which still utilizes the original graphic meshes of m&b) “redistributes” – with a maniacal  attention – the armor/weapons of each army, so that you won’t any longer find different factions  sharing the same equipment.

This is especially noticeable on the Vaegir, which are no longer a mix of equipment between Nords and Khergits, but have their own, unique look (to enhance their “Slavonic” look they now favor spiked helmets, nomad caps – which now are removed from kherghits that carry steppe caps instead – voulges, scythes, bardiches, studded leather, banded armors and fur coats, and all  the equipment typical to a faction used to live in an harsh snowy terrain), but it’s also notable on all the other factions, since now everything, from boots to helmets, no longer tends to be “universal”, and you can easily tell the difference even between a rhodok and swadian crossbowmen, not to mention between a lord and another, both in their “civil” and “military” outfit. 
In particular helmets will be a very strong “symbol” to recognize each army, with all the classic nasal helmets (guard, norman, segmented and so on) going to swadian (as well as the iconical flat-topped helmets of their knights), leather caps, footman helmets, kettle hats and bascinets to rhodoks, spiked helmets and nomad caps to vaegirs, skullcaps, nasal helmets (different look  from swadian ones) and Viking helmets to nords, while khergits now make a “smarter” use of all the “steppe” caps and helmets they’ ve got.. but, more in general, you will always be able to tell the rank/affiliation of each troop just by the helmet it wears (to put it clear, usually all other equipment is also unique, but the helmet is something that really “jumps” to the eye).

Yet it’s important to note that, even if troops were modified both in equipment and stats, this  isn’t a “total troop revamp” that modifies the “feel” of native, since I’ve tried to keep and even enhance the “feel” that each army had in the original module.
- Rhodoks and Nords still are foot-only troops, the first one heavily based on spearmen (which now truly are ONLY spearmen, but spears have been improved and now are far better, especially against cavalry) and crossbowmen (which also have been strengthened, but now sharpshooters are a t4 troop and a new, t3 “rhodok veteran crossbowman” has been introduced, while the “spearmen” line, has seen sergeants go to T3: it seemed logic considered the fact that spearmen were never the diamond-point of rhodok army.. now sergeants are more easy to get, while sharpshooter have become more deadly due to their increased rank, making the rhodoks a fearsome army even in the open field), while the second one powerful melee-soldier  supported by their ranged troops (which have been far improved over the native version: there must be a “point” to train a troop instead of another.. while in native the nord ranged line really was that embarrassing that any javelin wielding footman  was a better investment than a veteran archer.. they still are the “worst” ranged troop line  together with swadians, but now they are indeed useful).

- Vaegirs have the best equipped ranged troops in the game, and their cavalry has been improved in        term of speed (still retaining that 2h-bardiches mechanic to their knights, while now horsemen carry military scythes that can even be swung, and have fearsome jarids to throw)  due to the changes  I’ve made to horses.

- Swadians have been edited in order to be less “uber” as well as khergits: the first one have seen their cavalry line – which still is the heaviest in the game and very very strong – a bit nerfed, but this is barely noticed when they are on their steed.. the difference is noticeable when they are on foot instead: now if you want to go into a siege you are better off training sergeants and infantry.

- Khergits mechanic-wise, remain the same, aside the fact that “khergits horsemen” are now a “light

cavalry” unit. And that now lamellar armor is “medium” armor.

But this really keeps us to the next big change of this mod: horses.
As I said previously, horses statistics have been revamped: the idea was to make each horse useful (but keep in mind that saddle/sumpter horses are not “on par” with others, due to their price and to the fact they just require 1 riding skill)

Here’s the new chart:

1) Horses that can carry only light armored soldiers (chest-armor’s weight is 9.0 or less)

- saddle horse*:    armor(15) – hp (100) – speed (40) – charge (15)  - maneuverability(41)
- courser:                armor(20) - hp (130) – speed (44) – charge(17)  - maneuverability(36) 

*can be used by horse archers

2) Horses that can carry light armored (chest armor weight is 9.0 or less) and medium armored (chest-
    armor’s weight is between 9.1 and 20.0) soldiers

- steppe horse*:  armor (20) - hp (120) – speed (40)  - charge (15)  - maneuverability (44)
- hunter:                armor (20) – hp (140) – speed (40)  - charge (20)  - maneuverability (36) 

*can be used by horse archers

3) Horses that can carry light armored (chest-armor’s weight is 9.0 or less), medium armored (chest-   
    armor’s weight is between 9.1 and 20.0) and heavy armored soldiers  (chest –armor’s weight is
    above 20.1)

- sumpt.  Horse:  armor(20) – hp(120) – speed (35)  - charge (15)  - maneuverability(33)
- warhorse:          armor(35) – hp(140) – speed. (37) – charge(23)  - maneuverability(36)
- charger:              armor(50) – hp(145) – speed  (35) – charge(27)  - maneuverability(33)

More weapon have also been limited to horse use: in native only thing you couldn’t use were board shields,
now every shield with 60+ size is horse forbidden, meaning max size you’ll be able to use is an heater/kite        shield.. also weapons like longbows and warbows are no longer usable from horse (making “foot archers”        a viable alternative to mounted ones, since they have at their disposal the biggest and most damaging  bows).
Shield weights have also been adjusted slightly.

IMPORTANT NOTE

Note that while the troops automatically follow the “encumbrance” limit (meaning you will not find heavy armored troops on coursers, I wasn’t able to actually “force” the player to follow those rules: if you        don’t wish to cheat, simply follow those “rules” yourself and remember this easy “armor chart”:

- light armor:  from 0.1 up to 9.0 weight
        - medium armor:  from 9.1 to 20.0 weight
        - heavy armor:  from 20.1 weight

Keep in mind that the “weight” considered is just the one of the chest armor.

As I’ve already said,  now every horse-archer in the game will either use a saddle or a steppe horse, this makes them reached fastly by light cavalry (meaning light-armored soldiers on coursers) that with their polearms and throwing weapons (which can instead be used on every mount without problems, since they just  need one arm), will really be strong against them.
Even in this case I wasn’t able to “limit” the player.. yet if you don’t wish to cheat you should only use bows/crossbows on horses different from steppe/saddle horses if you just will shoot while going straight  or holding ground.. since “rp-wise” you would need a more maneuverable steed if you wanted to shoot making  circles around your enemy.

These changes were really fun because actually they made me able to really make the cavalry of different factions  “different”: swadians have a medium cavalry (man at arms with hunters and mail with surcoats) and heavy cavalry (knights in coat of plates and warhorses) making them perfect especially to charge infantry; vaegirs have “horsemen” that are lightly armored with fur coats.. yet on fast coursers wielding polearms and fearsome jarids (which now and are often able to kill lightly armored soldier with 1 hit), making them perfect skirmishers as long as you don’t throw them into heavy infantry ranks.. while their knights are really powerful with their strong (and with an high reach) 2h bardiches and voulges, and have a reasonably fast hunter compared to the slow swadian knights.. yet they are nowhere as good as swadian knights to charge large mobs due to their lack of shield and lower armor.
Khergits archers use saddle horses (steppe for veteran horse archers), while lancers use hunters and their horsemen are similar to the vaegirs ones, carrying spears and throwing weapons (but weaker being them of
lower rank).

Another change (very long and boring to make.. but it was really worth it imho) was done to all the lords of the game (and also to “crown pretenders”): you won’t any longer find nord lords in nomad robes, or khergit ones  in plate armor.. every lord is easily recognizable both when they are in their castle (with clothes that  enable you to easily recognize their faction and rank without having to “talk” to them first) that when they are on the battlefield, where they will adopt a type of warfare compatible to those of their troops (for example, you won’t find any longer nord lords ridings horses: they now often carry 2h sledgehammers, great axes,  1h and Huscarl shields, throwing weapons, long bow and so on).. Their stats/equipment has been really improved in general.. and now you will often find yourself in the urge of eliminating those nasty lords fast due to their power – now they won’t be just some “enemy troop” but they’ll often kill multiple enemies like the player does!

That’s basically all.. but to know “everything” you will have to play the mod.. since many minor things have
changed, that I don’t have the time to point out here like.. just to mention some, a complete revamp of mercenary troops, that will now cost really a fortune to maintain (and, as always, to hire) but probably they now are one of the strongest in the game, as well as a revamp to the equipment of all the bandits/raiders (with the addition  of some cool new items to them, that were previously “no longer” available in the game.. nothing unbalancing, but some cool new graphic that feels consistent with those units, and gives the player the ability to acquire those),  removed 2h weapons from nord huscarls (I know great axes were cool.. but it really sucked when an hardly trained t5 troop was killed before he could even reach the enemy because it was too stupid to understand that maybe against khergits archers it was best to use a shield.. in general polearms/2h are reserved to non top-tier troops, making them ideal to put behind a line of ranged troops, in order to form a nice barrier against enemy cavalry.. while top rank infantry troop usually carry solid shields, in order to make them perfect in sieges), and a lower level to NPCs companions, in order to have more “freedom” of choice about their progress of some NPCs like Artimenner and Rolf that, due to their high starting level, were already “made”.

2. VERSION HISTORY

- V. 1.0: mod release
- V. 1.1: hotfix for khergit lords that now wear the proper civilian clothes.. Thanks D’Sparil!
- V. 1.2: adjustments to horses (Thanks Wanuvas) and warbows available in shops (thanks LOSTknight)
- v. 1.3: compatible with 1.010 (and 1.011), kherghit claimant is no longer shirtless(Thanks Smiling Demon), glaives and waraxes no longer deal piercing damage when swung(Thanks
            Smetrios)

3. DOWNLOAD LINKS / CHECK FOR NEWEST VERSION

To download the mod, or simply check if there’s a new version available, simply check this link:  https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=1&id=899.

Feel free to leave any general comment and vote my mod there but, please, for any articulate comment/feedback/bug you may find, use the thread on taleworlds’ forum:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46535.15.html.

4. INSTALLATION

To install the mod just follow this procedure:
a. go into you m&b directory, than into your “modules” subdirectory;
b. into the “modules” subdirectory copy the “native” directory (select it and CTRL+C) and then paste it (CTRL+V) thus creating a “copy of native” directory (inside the
                modules folder);  -> important note: your native directory must not have been edited by other mods or it won't work! if that's the case you'll have to make a new
                installation of m&b in order to have the original native folder unmodified before you proceed to copy/paste it.
c. rename the “copy of native” directory to “native improved mod”;
d. extract all the files in this archive into the “native improved mod” directory (overwrite everything);
e. run the game (remember that you have to choose the “native improved mod” as the “current module” in the game launch-menu).
f. Play!

5. COMPATIBILITY

Native improved mod 1.3 is compatible with every release from 1.0 to 1.011.
Due to the few files that are actually modified by this mod (Item_kinds1  - item properties – and Troops - soldiers stats and inventory) it can probably be compatible with newer version that could come out later, even if the mod isn’t adjourned.
Compatibility with other mods (like Formations and Morale from Mirathei) is usually possible: just install NIM after you've installed the other mod you want to play with (basically overwriting "item_kinds1" and "Troops" with the one you can find in NIM's zip file).
Still you can always check the forum (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46535.15.html) to see if a newer version is available.

6. ARMIES’ BALANCE

Troop balance was tested by my personally, creating an army of 50 troops (30t3 and 20t4 of my choosing)  of each faction, and trying to defeat a 75ish enemy war force.. I was able to manage and win all battles without me fighting, but just leading my troops.
Keep in mind that m&b is a single player game. We don’t need it to be 100% balanced (especially considered that due to the AI the player ménages to always have an advantage over it). The game is fine as long as you are able to play it and you either don’t find an opponent to be unbeatable or too easy to beat when it shouldn’t be the case (this means that it’s not an issue if you are easily beaten by an army which is far greater/has better troops than yours nor the opposite).
Tactics I used varied.. yet don't expect to win by charging with your cavalry a huge mob of rhodok spearmen staying in formation on hills.. 

Best tactic I've found were this:
o Swadians:  I used their cavalry to kill the enemy and distract its main forces (still trying to charge the edges of the army, and avoid charging them through the middle when without the number advantage,  because that means losing a lot of men)  while helped by swadian sharpshooters that often were able to shoot at the backs of other troops, maybe with the backup of some sergeant/infantry covering them.

o Rhodoks: I used an even army of sergeants and veteran crossbowman/sharpshooter, ordering them to hold in place (with sergeants often being like 20 pace ahead of them a t the beginning and spreaded out so to work as "pin cushions" against enemy arrows), and to stay close (trying to form a double line of sergeants xbowmwen in the back) especially useful against cavalry.

o Vaegirs: I used an army of 20ish marksman/Archers, less than 2 infantry with their 2h weapons to make a second line against cavalry behind them, and 20ish horsemen, with just a bunch of knights..  Tactic was to hammer the enemy with my archers, while trying to distract the main force with cavalry.. Horsemen are frailer than swadian ones, yet faster and more "offensive", and ranged troops are better..

o Nords:  the best tactic is to try and force the enemy to go into your melee mob, this means you have to use the terrain accurately (especially if the enemy at the beginning stays on the defensive it's  important to try and reach them by using hills and other means of cover to avoid being shoot from far.. if that's impossible yet, remember that ammunition is limited.. thus a good tactic is to simply spread out your infantry and, after ordering them to "hold their fire" (so they will surely use their shield and won't attempt to use throwing weapons instead) make them advance until they are reached by the first arrows.. which will be far weaker than from a nearer distance: they will eventually finish those arrows and they'll charge your (or either you'll be able to do that having lost a lot less men).. your archers are useful, yet they are not very protected.. so when a lot of cavalry is around, keeping them near your footmen is a must, while in foot-centered fights, it's really good to put them on the flanks/back of the enemy, which is occupied fighting with your footmen.

o khergits: always try to fight in plains, since otherwise your horse centered troops will really have a great disadvantage.. if you have a lot of archers, try and make circles against your enemy.. yet keep in mind that if they have ranged troops (especially if they are vaegirs/rhodoks) your best bet is to let  them waste their arrows from afar while you order your archers to hold their fire and then cancel the order when, with enemy arrows finished, you can make narrow circles.. Lancers aren't bed.. yet don't expect them to be able and charge enemy on harsh terrain, and don't waste them against a compact wall of rhodoks/nords.. try to make them loose formation first, by running in circles around them.

IMPORTANT: 
o remember to actually check out how differently troops are equipped, because not always higher rank troops are better than lower ones for certain roles: for example infantry lines tend to have their top tier troops equipped with shields (that is to make them the best for sieges), while often (vaegir and swadian t3 infantry) will carry 2h/polearms: this makes them perfect to stay behind a line of archers/xbowmen to help against cavalry, because, due to their high reach weapon, they’ll be more effective than T4 troops that have an assured shield (because their role is that of being strong in sieges.

o for any info/hint/feedback on troop equipment/stats/balance please use the thread on the forum (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46535.15.html).

7. KNOWN PROBLEMS, CLARIFICATIONS AND ISSUE ABOUT BUGS/FEEDBACK

there are a few known problems (some of which have already been mentioned in the previous sections) but also things some people pointed out that instead “work as intended”.
Please check the thread on the forum (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46535.15.html) to see the adjourned list or to point out any new bug you think to have found or to suggest any solution/change to the known problems.

a. Loot of some troops is way more abundant that it should be (for example sea raiders carry a lot of shields). This is a known issue whose cause is dependant by the fact for balance reasons I had to give a lot of "copies" of the same item to some troops in order to be scure to have an higher chance of them actually equipping it over something else they could equip (for example I gave like 10 short spears 2 pikes and 2 medium and long spears in the inventory from which the rhodok spearmen have to choose their equipment, so that there's an higher change they'll get short spears than other weapons), problem is that this seems to affect the amount of loot you receive.. This problem will be eventually solved in future releases (yet I don’t know if I will simply reduce the “looting” skill power, in order to balance it with the new increased item tables, or will find another way to solve the problem). Thanks to LOSTknight and Confed for providing feedback on this first.

b. Horse rules are not forced to the player: as I said, I simply wasn't unable to "force" horse restrictions      to the player.. yet, even if I was able, I would have found it unnecessary, since troops already follow            those rules (due to the horse they are given), while you, as a player, can simply choose to follow the rules by yourself: use an horse that is compatible with your chest armor weight, and, if you want to  make circles around enemies while shooting with a bow, use a saddle or steppe horse..  That is if you want to play legit.

c. Shield restriction on horses can be exploited, by creating a combo of 1h/shield weapons: that's a native  bug.. I can do nothing about it.. but to point yourself at your self-responsibility: don't cheat if you  want to play legit.. it's really that simple!

d. Rhodok lords use Warhorses on porpoise, that's not a bug, but simply the lords lead their foot troop from  a steed often with a 1h weapon without shield, and with the distinctive looks of a xbow on their back (which  they will of course use in sieges).

e. Vaegir sabers are different from khergits sabers: they have straight hilts (with different graphic), and
            less recurved blades, just check.

f. vaegir often carry nomad boots as well as khergits.. I would have loved to give them different boots, yet no more models were available (Aside the horrible looking "hunting boots").. still it's just a low tier troop issue, and, anyway, all armor pieces are different.. so it's easy to distinguish them anyway.

g. pilgrim armor weight/protection is out of scale.. yet it's not acquirable by the player (unless you strip Jeremus naked) and I decided to not modify it due to it being the armor you HAVE TO use in some minigames  and fearing to make them too hard.

h. Sanjar khan "civilian" cloth is a lamellar vest: works as intended. 

8. FUTURE EDITIONS AND THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD / HELP OUT THE MOD

I don't know if there will be "space" (or simply the "time" for me) to release future editions of this mod (aside for some hotfix that I could make for minor issues that could be found.. but yet I hope there aren't any!)..
With the module system coming out, more and more elaborate mods will come out, that will be able to add graphic  and modify far more deeply the game..  yet this is why this mod could have a future: it's philosophy is not to "revolutionarize" native, but to simply make it a "better experience", while retaining all of its setting  and gameplay feel.. thus, even after greater and complex mods will be released.. maybe at one time you will want to try and play the original native.. and I think that this mod is simply a non revolutionary improvement of it  (that's just my 2c, of course!).

It’s important to note that, as it was already said, purpose of the mod it to “improve native, but keep it native”.
This does not only mean that this mod aims not to revolutionarize the game with a new setting or totally new things, but this also explain how the mod should work: what I mean is that this mod is about “improving native by using native”, this means that I don’t plan to add totally new things, yet I would like to implement/modify every small thing that could have been improved in native: focus should be on easy to make changes that would improve native instead of great modifications hard to realize and able to totally change it.

Look, for example, at how I handled out horses: I simply edited their stats and then assured myself that the troops carried an horse which was in line with their armor.. yet I could have done something different and more complex (like making riding speed work similar to athletic and be affected by the player/npc encumbrance: this would totally rock and, on day, I could add it to the mod – I bet for a scripter it would be easy to do, so if you want to help out, I’ll gladly accept your help at open arms! – yet this didn’t prevent me to solve the problem in an alternate and easier way, like the one I used).

there is one thing, in particular, that I would like to focus on to improve native in a future release:
Improve the “economic-difficulty” of the game.
The game “economic-wise” is just too easy to my taste.. once you get over the initial part of the game (which is about getting some experience to your character, equipping it with decent stuff, and recruiting your HERO companions, training them in party skills and equipping them too), money is no more of a problem: once you’ve bought the best equipment, it’s yours forever, it never decades (aside shields/horses), and that’s it.
Also troop wages are not much of a problem..
You don’t actually need to have fiefs or having a lot of leadership to have an army of 100 soldiers and like 100 150 in your castle-city.
I would like to review completely the wages of troops, so that to have like 30-40 knights should be something only lords with wealthy fiefs- city could afford (NPCs seems already to follow that rule.. problem is the player, that even when playing as a mercenary as no problem to afford the wages of uber-elite armies).

That said I am welcome to any new ideas and I will welcome with open arms any help you may want to give, especially script wise since I am no way able to do that.

9. CREDITS AND THANKS

The mod was done by me alone (Cremo - you can contact me via PMs on the M&B boards for any info, and I'll be happy to reply) yet I wouldn't have never done this without the aid of the fantastic tools that HokieBT (troop editor) and Jordan (item editor) have made.. thanks a lot guys!

Of course major thanks must go to Armagan and all his team for creating and releasing one of the greatest game ever! Also thanks go to the guys in the historical boards of m&b which have given me some feedback on "swingable polearms" from horseback.

I know this mod is so small and "naive" compared to other bigger mods that will come out later.. yet that's what  I was able and wanted to do.. and, frankly, I'm happy to be able to play with it since from the release of the final game I really didn't like how many things were handled (still loving the game tough) thus felt the urge to modify those.

I didn’t expect this mod to have any great success.. but I must admit it has already obtained more than I had imagined! Really thanks to anyone that tried out my mod!

If you wish to "mod this mod" (like adding new items to it or introducing new things) or just take some of the ideas to your mod, well i'm happy that you do :smile: if you want to credit me I'll be happy.. but frankly I'm not the kind of guy who gets mad if somone forgets to do that for something as trivial as a game mod!
What i would like yet, is to be informed about them, so i could actually try them out :smile:

Well, enough of this.. Hope you'll enjoy this mod and wish you good look.

yours,  Claudio

10.  SCREENSHOTS

just some of the troops I've made..  keep in mind that many "tier" of troop have multiple variations which aren't shown in these pics (like, for example, nord warriors
can also wear byrnies, and kherghits often carry helmets).

6 of the new vaegir troops

6 of the new swadian troops

6 of the new kherghit troops

6 of the new nord troops

6 of the new rhodok troops

Lord haringoth (now swadian lords have a more proper steed!)

Vaegir knights charging a line of swadian crossbowmen

A vaegir infantry welcome

swadian knight being attacked by vaegir infantry

Well you certainly have some spare time on your hands! Not only did you make a mod, but it's a mod apparently worth writing a novel about!

A) You made a mod worthy of your life story
B) You wrote your life story
Personally, I'm not going to read it because I've got better things to do, but good luck to you and all modders who mod for the sake of making and other people’s lives the slightest more interesting, and spend their time to make us happy.

Sounds good, I will definitely try this.

a. kherghits lord will often wear their "nomad vest" armor even when in their castle (I've given to them
          nomad robes they should use yet, i don't know why - since lords usually were lighter "armor" when in
          cities/castles - they still prefer to use that one even as their civil clothes).

The nomad vest might have the "civilian" tag enabled, have you checked that?

Zilberfrid said:
Installing, you seem to have good points, let's see if they hold up...

Yah could you let me know how good this is ? Dont think I wanna start a new game but maybe this mod is worth it. Do reply.

Thanks everyone for the replys!

link added now to the m&b repository with a new version with a small hotfix to khergits lords civilian clothes (thanks D'Sparil!).

Interesting approach to rebalanced horses. I don't think I'd like your heavy cavalry unfortunately, as I tested different settings on those a lot for myself and I'd say:

"warhorse:      med.  armor(35) - high hp(140) - med speed. (37) - high charge(20) - med. manuovrability(36) (can carry light/medium/heavy armored soldier)"

slighty slow. a heavy on this will be very slow at killing things, which with the amount of battle in this game is a pain in the butt for me personally. I like AI to actually assist, but it can come down to a lot of factors on what you want to see your troops be used for.

"charger:        uber  armor(50) - uber hp(145) - low speed  (35) - uber charge(24) - bad  manouvrability(33) (can carry light/medium/heavy armored soldier)"

seems bad. the point of a 'charger' is to wrack up charge damage and the big problem occurred of course when the game decided to make infantry capable of fighting with 1500 pound charging beasts. so its speed was killed but so was the horse. armor is pretty much useless since a speed bonus to damage means you WANT to be moving as fast as possible at all times anyway, not standing still. if the game mechanics were further fleshed out, for example if horses got tired and couldn't sprint at their max speed forever, balance might be more achievable, but as it is you've got to make a choice. garbage heavy cavalry (meaning has quite limited opportunities for effective use) or good... there's almost no in-between in my testing. charger needs good stats and not just an armor bonus or it just won't work.

hunter and coursers still seem the top horse with your edits. of course you tried to add the weight restriction which is a really cool idea, but what sucks is it doesn't work on the player so I dunno, having to remember to RP a feature just isn't very intuitive. the player would just forget about it before long and be putting all his heavy heroes on coursers and hunters imo. I think the battles might be interesting to see how it goes... but I'd rather pass on trying the game like this for now because I'm continually modding the game myself towards a more useful cavalry and make the game more 'grow to win' than tit-for-tat with anybody every time. but interesting effort, for sure some cool ideas.

I really like this mod so far. I've been playing as the Rhodoks and they don't get slaughtered anymore, they can stop swadian knights. But I'm pretty sure i saw a new Swadian troop, a Swadian Champion... or I'm crazy. 

If there are new troops can you list them please.

To: archerman

Thanks for the comment :smile:
I'm really happy you are enjoying it..

It was really hard to get rhodoks working.. because due to spear sucking I could either make rhodoks too weak or too strong by altering their statts if I left them in the total status that in native were..

Yet I modified them:
not only sharpshooters are stronger (yet a t4 troop so it's not easy as before to get them.. yet the t3 xbowman is probably still better than the old one offensive-wise, yet probably not as resistent), but i like spearmena lot more:
1) they are reaally only "spearmen" now.. hammers and swords (swadian looking weapon to me.. and not in line with the "idea" of spear-rhodok formations i had in mind) were removed, and now they carry a lot of different sized spears: from short, to medium, to long pikes..
But the key to make the spearmen work, imho, was to give them a lot of SHORT spears: problem of spears is exactly that they are difficult to use in melee due to their range: their long range means that in melee they will often deal no damage.. combine that with the shield speed malus and you get the rhodok troops getting slaughtered without killing no one..
By giving a lot of short spears (so that longer spears have just a smaller chance to come out, thus making the rhodok formation look a bit like old oplite ones,, with "tertiari, secondari" or something like that, that carried different spears length due to their position in the opplite formation), longer ones are rarer (and still they work good against cavalry.. because you just need like 1 every 5-6 men to have a pike so that he stops the cavalry men from afar.. but then having guiys with shorter weapons is far better to kill the now-stopped cavalry man), the rhodoks are now able, provided with some good powerstrike (but not that uber, i think it's under the standard native value) to actually damage even melee units near them.. since they no longer carry 200+ pike or long spears that get their damage almost nullified when used from near.. but a shorter spear (that is still far longer than normal weapons) that doesn't have at that extent this type of malus..
also, of course, I tweaked a bit the speed of those spears and the piercing damage (didn't understood why they should have had a lower piercing damage than other longer spears), and another important thing, imho, was to invert the way the rank worked..
Before there was up to a t4 for infantry, and only a t3 for ranged.. yet ranged were the good units of the rhodokian army...
By lowering sargeants to t3, I've justified their relative power, compared to rtoops like swadian seargents or nord veterans (which are simply stronger in melee due to using shorter-range weapons) due to having them easily trainable (and, anyway, they surely aren't the "****" they were back then.. and really rock against cavalry when together, and to contrast enemy archers with their big shield), and by creating a t4 troop of ranged, I was able to justify it's added power..

About the new units, as I said there are some things I wasn't able to mention in the readme..

I really wanted to give chargers to some units in the game (aside swadian lords which now are all charger equipped).. yet i knew how powerfull they are.. and i knew that making such a unit would give you something wich is probably far stronger and unbalancing than an huscarl.. that's why I've made them of a ridicolous high level so they really cost a fortune and only a few can be afforded (and anyway, since i wanted to test them a bit first. i decided to make them armed with 2h weapons.. so they have decreased protection from attacks.. even if that should be balanced out by the plate armor that they wear.. so basically they are just there to be "tested" and due to their rank - t5 - and cost they shouldn't affect the game much, since they are extremely rare..
they really look like "heroes" to me, that inspire their army by charging with those massive 2handers without fear.. yet i think that the lack of a shield makes them on par with swadian knights against infantry.. so they shouln't be exaggerately overpowered.

other similar troops, but about them i think i've given a mention in the readme, are mercenaries.. i don't recall the name of them, but the top tier mercenary-knight unit,are probably the most badass unit in the game (you will notice them without doubts in taverns if they spawn)..
they are equipped with cahrgers, full black plate armor, heavy lance, morningstar and arming swords: the best of the best if you ask me..

Yet their cost is really prohibitive (like 300+ per week a unit if i recall right).. I wanted to make some uber units with mad costs.. but actually i need to increasily test them to see how they are.. yet, like swadian champions, htere's no risk of them affecting much the balance of the game due to their "rareness" (only the player could use them massively, and i guess only when he is a lot far in the game, witha  lot of fiefs/town rents, and high leadership..

So, to respond more clearly to your question:

swadian champion are the only NEW unit if for "new unit" you just intend a new rank added.. but many troops in the game were so much modified (my objective was to enanche the original "feel" each army had, yet this could mean that some troops that were out of place had to be changed deeply) that, for example, you could say a troop like the khergit horseman or vaegir horseman are also "new one", because in native there wasn't really any true "light cavalry", being coursers just used by kherghit veteran horse archers if i recall it right.. wich were carrying a good lamellar vest and weren't much into melee.. while now light cavalry is "new" if you onsider their approach to the game: usually with spears and throwing weapons (and with vaegirs horsemen haaving their distinguishing military scythes that not only can be used for couched damage, but can also be swung from horseback!).

So, I really couldn't be more specific without a description of EACH unit.. (yet if you were enquiring just about new "ranks" or new "trees", swadian champion and rhodok t4 xboowmen are the only addition - while t4 rhodok infantry moved to t3 was the only removal - since i worked on the original trees for the other stuff).

TO BRAVESIRKNIGHT

Thanks for the feedback.
I respect your ideas, yet i strongly disagree with them (and if you read the least bit of my response to Archermen, you will already know what is my consideration of heavy cavalry).

Heavy cavalry is really STRONG.. and probably still the strongest in the game.. (due to m&b limited size scenaries, i guess even against horse archers, because they will eventualy rach them, without having taken much punishment due to their armor), here's why:

I think you are overconsidering the speed factor while underconsidering hp, charge, steed's armor and, exspecially the soldier's armor!

speed is important to reach mounted enemies escaping (or to flee for them) but against infantry units (which are the vastly majority of troops, aside if you fight against khergits) speed isn't worth much.. because even a 35ish speed is sufficient to 1hit kill them due to the speed bonus of the blow.

What is worth more are the other statistics: if your horse has no charge, then going at 40ish speed with something like 15 charge (provided you have no uber insane riding skill, but the troops no longer have that), means you won't be able to trample more than 1, maybe 2 enemies: just look at how saddle horses/steppe horse fare in the game: they are faster than a warhorse.. yet when they get cought into an infantry mob there's really no way they can escape..

Charge is a crucial factor, and it gives "blunt" damage, which is the best of the game due to it's bonuses against armor protection, which is like an "AOE" attack: differently from a weapon-swing attack, taht hits 1 opponent (maybe daling a lot of damage, but just hitting 1 opponent) charging a mob of 10 peeps means you damage 10 peeps: this means that if your horse does 25ish charge, than you ahve probably done a medium of 12 damage to 10 peeps: making it 120 damage..
to MULTIPLE opponents.. this means that just by charging (without even attacking) 3-4 times a mob of guys,  you've probably killed them just due to your charging damage..

Now the courser is given a good charge, but that's balanced, because it is now a MELEE steed, it's no longer used by horse archers (which now use steppe horses max, which have really low charge), which is good against scattered infantry, or fighitng against horse archers (due to their higher speed in comparison with steppe/saddle horses horse archers use).. it has high trample.. so it will not "stop" just because it charged 3-4 men.. but the damage done to him will really be great if it's hit (and exspecially the damage done to the knight that has to wear light armor in order to use the courser!).. meaning it's not wise to use courser-mounted troops to charge infantry mobs.. even if, being them a melee troop and not horse archer, they can surely do it..

If you want to try out how effective this is, just try to hire top mercenary units (that have chargers) in my mod, and see how strong they are.. killing peeps often just with their horses..

when you have high charge, speed isn't much of an issue against infantry

second i want to talk about armor and hp:
do you know how much armor is important in this game?

against cut damage armor reduces damage from one half to full armor (while against blunt/piercing, which is a less common type of damage in the game for melee weapons that infantry carry - and that's why rhodoks instead are so good against cavalry - it gives protection betwen 1/4 and half of armor)

anyway, even assuming that, statistically, the damage the horse gets is halved (but that is far pessimistic, considering the fact that you would usually get slashes in an infantry mob, where your horse is going to take more hits), this means a light armored steed has a 10 damage reduction, a warhorse has a 18 reduction, while
a charger 25.

Just think at what this means!
damage reduced by armor is SOAKED: this means that if your horse gets hit by a damage number wich is not above it, the damage will get totally ignored..
now thing about the raw damage an infantry troop can do in the mob.. without being able to move..
it often will be over 10, but rarely it goes over 20..

what does this mean? this means that while a 20ish armor horse is not gonna probably survive for a second charge if it's caught by an handfull of hits, a warhorse is probably going to take just some minor damage, while a charger is probably going to not take any damage at all!!

that's something really FUNDAMENTAL..
that's something that, in my mod, makes courser rushing into infantry mobs probably going to die, while warhorses and the like will probably survive even if their knight is killed..
Just you try charging with 10 swadian knights an infantry mob, then try the same with 10 vaegirs knight: they have the same riding skills, and offensive capabiliteies of vaegirs is higher.. yet the swadian knights will fare much better, because due to their horse armor, they can sustain to take "trips" into angry mobs slashing continuosly on them (vaegirs are cool because they can asilly reach, for example, a small line of archers and kill them fast due to their weapon damage and horse speed to reach them).

Also, you seem to not consider the armor of the knight:
same thing that applyes to horse armor, applyes to knight's armor.. do you really think  a 35 total armor fur coat/tribal outfit (the most protective light armor someone could use on a courser) can soak the same damage a full plate (with 70+ armor) can?

It's obvious how much more punishment both the knight and the steed with lower armor is going to get..
and is really seen in the game...

by your reply, it looked like you tought my mod was something like a "nerf" to heavy cavalry.. while, in the truth.. it's all the opposite!

while in native you had troops with coursers that were able to go around in full plate armor, now you have peeps with light armor that can't really afford to go into a mob of infantry, and won't sustain half the damage a more armored troop can substain.. and you have horse archers using only weak steppe horses that are not good at trampling infantry (meaning that a bunch of soldiers, if the horse archer is stupid and gets to enar instead of shooting from a far, is probably going to stop him)

I really tested this a lot, and here's what my cavalry ended up to be:
- light cavalry (on the fastest coursers): perfect to intercept horse archers, or reach scattered infantry archers, with their throwin abilities they also rock, yet they
are really frail, and if they are sent in the middle of an infantry mob, you are gonna lose them easily

- horse archers: WICH IS NO LONGER LIGHT CAVALRY, is perfect to run around dealing damage without being hit.. but you ahve to keep in mind THEY DON T USE COURSERS, they use steppe/saddle horses, which have low hp and low charge!! that means they are not good for infantry trampling! and their speed is 40: meaning not only that guys with coursers (the real light cavalry) will reach them fast, but that even medium cavalry will be able to reach them due to their same speed!

- heavy cavalry (warhorse, or rarely - due to their power, that would inbalance the game - chargers): perfect exspecially to fight infantry since they are able to charge them while taking minimum damage, but also against other cavalry they are strong to "take down" due to their armor..
due to their shields they are even probably gonna beat horse archers, only downside is that they will take their time due to their slowness to reach them: but that sounds realistic to me, and it'0s something already seen in native, where uber swadian kinghts army could kill everityhing (but that's no longer the case in this mod), but had problems against khergits, that were "uncatchable" untill they ended their arrows..this has even be reduced against horse archers since they now have to use steppe horses/saddle and no longer can use coursers: don't get me wrong, theya re still faster than heavy cavalry, and medium/light cavalry deals with horse archers faster, yet as I said, this really wasn't a nerf on heavy cavalry.. to tell the truth it made it even less tedious against horse archers as I said.. because while in native swadian knight against khergits was almost suicidal, now it's a bit more balanced (but, overall, knights are no longer the ultimate soldier unit because they are not that good in sieges, and infantry has been improved: they are the best infantry trampler.. but now that's a specific role.. and theya re no longer universally good troops, meaning to "win" the game, you are no longer just going to have an army of 40 knights like in the original native.. strategy is more complex than that, and you'll have to use different strategies in different terrains and aainst different enemies).

- medium cavalry (hunters): they are something in the middle between light and heavy cavalry.. with their 40 speed (and usually 4 against 3 riding skill, meaning that the horse statts are in truth HIGHER, that courser ones), they are still very fast (not as fast as couser.. but that's fair due to the courser soldier being so lightly protected) yet they can carry a medium armored warrior (which, like swadian man at arms, have coat of arms with 55ish armo rate.. making them really more solid than light armor): they won't be able to deal with horse archers or scattered troops as quickly as light cavalry (yet hunters have 40 speed as horse archers steppe horse, so they won't be "outspeeded" like in native they were by courser-mounted horse archers, they will just be outspeeded by melee-throwing equipped light infantry) but will definlty do that quicker than heavy troops.. and will surely be able to withstand a charge on an infantry mob (but probably won't be able to substain it many times like heavy cavalry does).

I really love how that ended up to be.. because really, it feels so different now to have some light cavalrymen, from a medium cavalry men, and the same applies for heavy ones and horse archers.. not only they fare differently against infantry (with faster troops cavalry beeing very nice against scattered infantry, while the heavist ones getting better the more infantry there is, and medium ones able to be a mix of the 2 between infantry resistance and the speed to deal with them), but also against cavalry, with vaegir knights and swadian knights really being at odds:
it's not like swadian knights or vaegirs knights are going to win for scure:

it is scure that swadian knights will survive far mor easily in a charge against an heavy mob

it is scure that vaegirs knights will reach faster those 20 ish archers the enemy left behind and deal with them faster due to their steed increased speed and to their 2h weapon damage and powerstrike (compared to the reduced 1h weapon damage of knights, or the effectiveness but slower kill per minute rate of couched lance damage)

yet it's not scure who will win between a swadian knight and a vaegir one: because if one has more armor on him and hi steed, the other has the advantage of speed and damage..

And i find it really really fun.

About the player limitations: as I said, i would have liked if the limitation of encumberance on horses were hardcoded even for the player.. but, really, I don't think is much of an issue to "pretend" the player to play legit if he wants to get all the fun from the mod..
I mean.. after all, if the player wanted to cheat.. i just could edit the items and remove what i scripted if he wanted.. or he could just import a character with 20 riding skill, making it an awesome rider even on a lame sumpter horse..  you can't prevent the player to play the way he likes..

If he want to play legit, he just has to remember that:
- with chest armor of 9 or less weight he can ride any horse
- with chest armor between 10 and 20, he can't ride coursers and saddle horses
- with chest armor from 20.5 and on he can only ride sumpter horses, warhorses and chargers..

I mean.. it's not like that hard to follow as a rule due to not this game being diablo with 29093029 armors you change like twice every 5 mins.

added a new, short, introduction for the mod, and also posted some new screenies (man i really suck at making those.. i did like 50 of them but only made a bunch with decent camera angles - all other ones either had caught off heads or 3/4 of the body :razz:.. if someone menages to get some cool screens of the mod feel free to post them!),

Hmmm, I think that maybe the charge-damage is a bit wrong on the horses. I bought a Heavy Courser as my first replacement horse, then after some time I wanted to try out the "new" Warhorse, so I bought a Heavy Warhorse to play with. Now, both of these have 24 Charge, but the courser seems to be dealing a lot more charge damage! This must come from the fact that the courser is much faster then the warhorse, right? This would only make sense if the courser weighed more then the warhorse, which it obviously doesn't since it has no attached armor. Is this working as you intended? :smile:

I tried this mod,and feel good,but have some question:
1,where is the warbow??i usually like to use it but now it cannot be found,no sell,no unit use.
2,the booty is much more than native has,but for example, when kill some sea-raider, there will get too many shields and other useless goods,it seems a botheration and not real(just my feel).

Back
Top Bottom