Dyatlov Pass Accident

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, the wiki article tells us nothing of their psychological health, so it could be a case of group suicide. That wouldn't necessarily explain the radiation though, unless they carried an irradiated item in with them.

One of guys survived, didn't he? Didn't say how or anything.

I don't think it was suicide. Otherwise it would of been more obvious, I think.

He survived because he turned back a day before, not feeling well.  As such, he wasn't there when the eldritch radioactive yeti-thulu appeared, at least according to CA.

A commenter on another site mentioned the USSR may have been experimenting with a certain kind of bomb at the time.

Harlen said:
Several observations in regards both to the article and other comments.
1. I doubt it was a white-out if their footprints were visible much later.
2. They may not have been blind, if they were in pajamas it was probably night and in the dark its hard to spot dry brush from wet brush.
3. With weapons testing. It sounds almost like a thermobaric bomb. They didn’t enter service for a few more years but this could be an early test. Thermobaric bombs use a cloud of burning fuel to create a pressure wave that results in internal hemorraging and damages to the rib area. Differing injuries could be accounted for by varying distances from the blast. There wouldn’t be a crater, and while some snow would probably melt, that could be covered by drifting snow. The orange lights people saw in the area could be missile engines or the engines of jet fighters delivering the ordnance.
If people had time to carry away wounded, as is evident, and to stop and cut away the clothes of the dead, whatever drove them from the tent area was clearly not chasing them. But the tent area remained so frightening that they’d rather freeze in the woods than go back. Seems to me they were avoiding an area where they felt they were a target.
http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/03/08/the-dyatlov-pass-accident-and-the-fatal-unknown-compelling-force/

My only concerns with the post are 1) how does a bomb explosion focus on the rib area, and 2) I saw nothing suggesting people carrying away wounded.

In any case, I learned about people stripping under hypothermia, so that seems the most plausible explanation for that, if they didn't just leave the site without any clothes to start.

Another fun tidbit, a russian there claims the russian wiki states the woman didn't just lose her tongue, but most of the interior of her oral cavity.

The above explination makes sense to me. As soon as I read that the first thing that popped into my mind was some sort of weapons testing, not a UFO or Cuthulu or Yeti!

Hmm, the inquisition works as well. Though, I wonder how they dragged their torture devices up to that mountain.

Hm... I'd sacrifice both my nuts and more to know what happened, but I guess you know that already. Loves me a good mystery.

I'd say none of Sir Devlyn's theories make sense, but I guess we've established that already. What I would like to know is if they guy that left early did so because of radiation poisoning. He left because of health issues, but what health issues it didn't say.

I'd say Sir Devlyn's link is pretty much bull**** as well. It sounds like an arrogant teen with too much time on his/her hands that wants to sound important by solving a mystery, and does it in the same style as it would be done on a tv-show. It all sounds like House, or John Amsterdam would explain how something happened.

The lack of information is also annoying. The broken ribs and fractures could be due to a fall, or from being crushed beneath snow. It is possible to break ribs by falling with no signs on the outside of the body, especially in snow or similar materials that breaks the fall a bit.

Silver said:
Hm... I'd sacrifice both my nuts and more to know what happened
Ooh!

Silver said:
I'd say none of Sir Devlyn's theories make sense, but I guess we've established that already. What I would like to know is if they guy that left early did so because of radiation poisoning. He left because of health issues, but what health issues it didn't say.

I'd say Sir Devlyn's link is pretty much bull**** as well. It sounds like an arrogant teen with too much time on his/her hands that wants to sound important by solving a mystery, and does it in the same style as it would be done on a tv-show.
:sad:

I think the lack of info is what makes speculation so difficult.

How much radiation was present?  Did it affect all, or only some?  Was it only on their clothes, or present in their bodies?  Was it massively high, or just enough to register exposure to something?

The link I shared suggests that the violence group all had their clothes on, while the other group didn't.  Did the other group leave dressed, strip later from hypothermia, or strip due to some other reason?

When it says the violence group had major internal injuries but no external wounding, how far does that go?  Was their skin perfectly clear and normal, slightly bruised, or bruised yet have no cuts?  How knowledgeable were the experts who examined the bodies?  Nothing I read gave even one possible explanation for what could cause crushed skulls and broken ribs, other than a "car crash".  Was it possible for the first group to fall off a cliff, or somesuch? 

Did they walk away from their site, or did they run?  Did they take off screaming into a blizzard in the middle of the night in their underwear, or did they have time to hurriedly dress and make a hasty withdrawal?

All of these would help in deciding whether they were fleeing others, fleeing some force or leaving because they felt the area was unsafe for some reason.

And of course, how much of the little info we have has been distorted, or is an embellishment?

Back
Top Bottom