Dyatlov Pass Accident

Users who are viewing this thread

I read about this today, and posted it on the Spam time thread. But just when things started to get interesting, the spam returned. Anyways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_Accident

What the heck could have happened there?

Radioactive mutant cult sacrifice, clearly. Textbook case, case closed.

Whatever happened, it was cool as ****.

Anything that causes insanity, crushes people, rips tongues out, and cracks skulls is good in my books.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn.

What terrible secrets did they find in the snow that cost them their sanity?
Some caliginous horror conjured by the Mansi shamans under a cold Siberian moon?
What tenebrific vistas of reality did they apprehend before their reason fled them and they annihilated themselves in an orgy of destruction?

Yeah me too.

Im a sucker for this kind of stories. I mean crushed bones without any kind of external wound? a missing tongue? orange skin and gray hair? blindness? what the **** happenned there? THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

I'm surprised there isn't a movie about this out yet.

EDIT:
Ursca said:
Ia Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn.

What terrible secrets did they find in the snow that cost them their sanity?
Some caliginous horror conjured by the Mansi shamans under a cold Siberian moon?
What tenebrific vistas of reality did they apprehend before their reason fled them and they annihilated themselves in an orgy of destruction?

That would be such and awesome commercial for the film, coupled with dramatic music. :lol:

**** you guys, I'm keeping my left nut...You can have my right nut though. :lol:

Seriously though, thats some weird ****. I believe in Aliens and stuff, but I dunno what it could be.

It seems to me that they stumbled on a gvt testing area, since radiation seems the probable cause of death.

I know very little about radiation poisoning so I don't know if the effects were immediate or incremental.  I would guess sudden though, as it seems unlikely that they would all wake in the middle of the night at the same time.  I also believe it causes appetite loss, and they ate before bed.  Maybe they drank melted water from the mountaintop and the water was irradiated?  Ingested radiation can be much more damaging than external.

I'm guessing they were exposed to a sudden burst while asleep.  This would, I believe, make them feel like they were burning up and had to get outside to the cold air NOW.  This might explain why the tent was torn from within, since they couldn't think straight enough to go fumbling with zippers.

If they were ill, they might have left the camp for two reasons.  They might have been trying to return to their cache, but went down the wrong side, or they might have been fleeing something.  The article says they left of their own accord but doesn't say if they were walking or running.  It also doesn't say if they had any kind of medicine in their cache.

I'm guessing they were all suffering from feeling hot, which is why they didn't mind running around in negative weather in their undies.  After a while though the cold might have started to sink in, which is why they started a fire.  Running around on a mountain, at night, with the wind blowing snow every which way and your brain possibly cooking can make it seemingly very easy to stumble and hit your head on all kinds of things.  I could also see them maybe ripping off their own clothes from being so hot.

I don't have an explanation for the violence though.  Maybe they were exposed to something up top, went downhill, became separated, and the violence group were found by the Mansi?  I understand cutting out a woman's tongue is not unheard of amongst more savage rapists.  Maybe a military force arrived, exposed the group to radiation, and the group fled, trying to return hours later when the coast was clear.  Can radiation cause bones to crack?  This might explain the various bone fractures.  Or maybe, if the snow / water was irradiated, the woman trying to drink more to cool herself down only added to her pain such that she cut her own tongue out.

The gvt obviously knew about things going on there because they shut the place down so quickly, which means they had to be the ones who initiated whatever factors were in play.  Whatever they were doing, the hikers were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and were exposed to radiation (or some other energy) as a result.

Gculk, you can send me your nut.  Please pack it in ice before sending (I learned my mistake the last time).

You make a good point about everything except for the external injuries. I don't think radiation can CRACK bones in such a way to make them seem fractured. But you made me think they could have possibly fell on or ran really, REALLY, hard into something.

Man, I am pretty sure you got the answer pretty much spot on; only every single premise in that argument is flawed.

Sir Devlyn said:
I know very little about radiation poisoning so I don't know if the effects were immediate or incremental.  I would guess sudden though, as it seems unlikely that they would all wake in the middle of the night at the same time.  I also believe it causes appetite loss, and they ate before bed.  Maybe they drank melted water from the mountaintop and the water was irradiated?  Ingested radiation can be much more damaging than external.

I'm guessing they were exposed to a sudden burst while asleep.  This would, I believe, make them feel like they were burning up and had to get outside to the cold air NOW.  This might explain why the tent was torn from within, since they couldn't think straight enough to go fumbling with zippers.

First, radiation poisoning doesn't suddenly make you want to get up and start frolicking in the snow.  Quite the opposite, the symptoms of it are things like fatigue, nausea, and weakness.  Second, even in fatal doses of radiation, there is a substantial lag phase before symptoms appear.

Sir Devlyn said:
If they were ill, they might have left the camp for two reasons.  They might have been trying to return to their cache, but went down the wrong side, or they might have been fleeing something.  The article says they left of their own accord but doesn't say if they were walking or running.  It also doesn't say if they had any kind of medicine in their cache.

I'm guessing they were all suffering from feeling hot, which is why they didn't mind running around in negative weather in their undies.  After a while though the cold might have started to sink in, which is why they started a fire.  Running around on a mountain, at night, with the wind blowing snow every which way and your brain possibly cooking can make it seemingly very easy to stumble and hit your head on all kinds of things.  I could also see them maybe ripping off their own clothes from being so hot.

Really? This makes a load of sense.  Except everything about them feeling hot, which is an essential premise of this theory.

I don't have an explanation for the violence though.  Maybe they were exposed to something up top, went downhill, became separated, and the violence group were found by the Mansi?  I understand cutting out a woman's tongue is not unheard of amongst more savage rapists.  Maybe a military force arrived, exposed the group to radiation, and the group fled, trying to return hours later when the coast was clear.  Can radiation cause bones to crack?  This might explain the various bone fractures.  Or maybe, if the snow / water was irradiated, the woman trying to drink more to cool herself down only added to her pain such that she cut her own tongue out.

Except that the people who died of injury showed no signs of violent struggle, and there were no signs of Mansi in the area surrounding the bodies.

Also, radiation cannot cause bones to crack, and radiation poisoning, unless it was injected directly into her tongue, and confined there, would have spread enough that the only way to get rid of the pain through amputation would be to amputate your brain from your cranium.

The gvt obviously knew about things going on there because they shut the place down so quickly, which means they had to be the ones who initiated whatever factors were in play.  Whatever they were doing, the hikers were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and were exposed to radiation (or some other energy) as a result.

Yeah, the government also closes down areas where murder investigations are ongoing.
The government must be the cause of all murders.

Seriously though.  Did you think that if 9 people died under mysterious circumstances, they were going to market it as a tourist destination?

Gculk, you can send me your nut.  Please pack it in ice before sending (I learned my mistake the last time).

Even if your theories were all logically sensible, you didn't give any answer, you gave some disjointed theories about it.  No ****ing way I am amputating my nut for this ****.

Aww, you're no fun.  You choose not to emasculate yourself over ignorant internet conjecture?  I'll never get my complete set now.  :sad:

No.

I reckon there was a radioactive yeti that teleported into their tent, used its psy power to crack the skulls and ribs of four of them before eating the tongue of the woman. It then grew bored and teleported off to yeti land to smoke some weed and listen to Bob Marley's finest.

Honestly though, if one of them was more severely irradiated than the others, doesn't that imply that he brought some kind of radiation with him and exposed the others to it when he took off all his "protective" gear (which would, ironically, have been protecting them from him)

Yeah, it's more full of holes than their tent, but it would explain why they attempted to get back to the camp after some of them had died.

Why not? I would sacrifice none of my testicles to find out what happened, but I would pay to be part of an investigative team :grin:

Back
Top Bottom